TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disney Characters gone wild?

/\ exactly three. if sites like disney sex toons and god knows what else (just type in disney and sex and if everything you find there that exists hasnt already drawn them down, this probably wont either)

BUT i do agree that thsoe things are usually kept provate among those who are uh.. "interested' in them lol, while this leaked mainstream

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

/\ exactly. if sites like disney sex toons and god knows what else (just type in disney and sex and if everything you find there hasnt already drawn them down, this sure as hell wont)

Because most of the images you see when you search for "Disney" and "Sex" are *NOT* official images by anything Disney has done!

Seriously, why do you all keep arguing this point?

Is it that you just can't stand the thought of being "wrong?" Is that it?

I'm not trying to prove anyone wrong, I'm just saying, "look guys....this is inappropriate, and here's why...." regardless if I think it's funny or not funny. It's clearly not appropriate and damaging. And that's not an opinion, that's a factual statement!

Perhaps you don't really understand the concept of brand integrity and "image."

And once again I'll state why it annoys me so much:

I don't want to see Disney Parks get even more undeserved negative attention from the media based on the actions of some very stupid people.

--Robb

Realistically, this isn't the first time nor the last time that misbehavior by park guests or employees has "threatened" Disney's image. And past accusations have been much more public and potentially harmful than a handful of employees in costumes mimicking the doggy style.

molestation charges?

Disney lived through that, and they'll live through this.

There's a difference there -

Look at the years. 1976.....1981. No pictures. No video, no internet back then.

And the 2004 incident. There wasn't even a picture to back it up.

These were just "stories" without any visuals.

Now you have video of this current incident all over the internet and the news. And this is the FIRST TIME something like this has been as "visual"

If a picture is worth a thousand words, a video is worth a million.

How can you make the argument that this incident and the ones in the past are the same? It's not.

--Robb "Who doesn't really understand why people keep trying to argue a point that's so clearly and factually stated." Alvey

But there are other differences that you fail to mention here. For one, this was backstage and out of view of park guests. For two, we aren't talking about molestation here. This isn't a video of molestation, it's a video of employees goofing off backstage. True, it's been recorded. But what has been recorded is not nearly as problematic.

We must keep in mind that Disney essentially has the best team of lawyers in the world. They managed to knock three molestation charges out without blinking an eye. The charges (if any) here are much less severe. I imagine some employees will be silently axed, some new rules will be implimented, and people will forget about this relatively quickly.

As I said, Disney will live through this.

Robb, I agree it was kinda stupid/foolish to begin with, I just think its been blown way out of proportion thats all and made worse then it was origionally. It was wrong but I think it origionally wasnt a big deal as it probly happens everywhere with people just goofing off, its the media and leaking that caused it to be such a big problem. if we knew everything that went on behind the scenes at places like this Im sure we would find MUCH worse. Its the people that leaked it out and spread the idea that it was a big deal that will cause negative attention making a mountain out of a mole hill. If the video was never shown or taken to the supervisor and they gave the employees probation or something or suspension, it woulda blown over like nothing ever happened, its whoever decided this is front page news worthy or internet worthy that sparked all this controversy

Seriously, why do you all keep arguing this point?

Is it that you just can't stand the thought of being "wrong?" Is that it?

I'm not trying to prove anyone wrong, I'm just saying, "look guys....this is inappropriate, and here's why...." regardless if I think it's funny or not funny. It's clearly not appropriate and damaging. And that's not an opinion, that's a factual statement!

It's clearly not appropriate. As for damaging, time will tell.

I don't think anybody here has a "can't be proven wrong" complex. There are simply different opinions on the severity.

Different. Opinions.

edit: quotes were messed up

You know, I'm tired of arguing with 19 and 22 year olds. No offense, but I've been working with some major IP's for years including Disney, Paramount, Universal, MTV, and many others for almost the same amount of time as you've been alive and I understand the concept of brand and image and what negative impacts something like this can have to a company.

I know you guys are just trying to be "right" and prove your point. I went through that phase of my life as well. I 'get it.' I understand where you're coming from.

Continue believing what you want to believe, that's cool, it's your right, it's your opinions. Perhaps one day in your careers you'll encounter a similar issue and then you'll think back to this conversation and without realizing it now, maybe you will have learned something from it.

--Robb "I don't want to see Disney Parks get even more undeserved negative attention from the media based on the actions of some very stupid people." Alvey

eh, yeah, when it comes down to it, I do agree it was wrong to begin with, because if they hadnt had done it there would be no reason for it to have been blown out of proportion and so on. So yeah I see where you are coming from. Its just stupid that it HAD to leak out so much like it has already and come to this.

I agree with the point a few people made about those employees signing a contract and they really shouldn't have violated it, regardless of whether they thought anyone would see or not.

I worked for a popular children's television station a couple years ago and I had to sign a contract saying I would not release any information about my job. I wasn't even allowed to tell anyone what my specific position was, as there was a risk that children who were part of the audience of this station could find out. I wasn't a character or anything, it's hard to explain without telling you what my job was A co-worker of mine signed the same contract, but later wrote about her job on her livejournal and basically went on and on about how stupid the kids were for believeing everything she said. A child [i think he was 12 or so] did a google search, looking to find out more about us, and found her livejournal post. That child's parents called the company and pitched a fit. The child also told a bunch of other children about it. While it wouldn't have brought the entire company down, it could've completely screwed up our specific part and we could've all lost our jobs. It caused a lot of problems and she was fired over it.

So my example was on a much smaller scale, but the same idea. If you sign a contract, it doesn't matter if you think anyone is looking or not, you do not go against that contract. You never know who will find out and you're not only screwing yourself over since you'll most likely be out of a job, you're screwing your whole company over. That'll look real good on a resume.

I think scale here makes all the difference though. Disney is gargantuan. This is miniscule. I will completely understand when employees are fired and rules about character conduct are altered. But this won't have a major effect on the company or its image any more than any of the numerous past allegations have. Or any more than this picture has:

mickey.bmp

^I don't think that the point is how much it'll effect them. Of course they can overcome this. The point is that they shouldn't have to deal with it.

These employees were hired by the park and presumably were aware of all the rules. They chose to break them anyway. An example will almost assuredly be made of them. Future employees will theoretically be at least a little more aware of the consequences of their actions.

But really, this sort of thing is inevitable. People will act like this, no matter how carefully you screen employees. And with a policy like Disney has with its characters, stuff like this was bound to come out sooner or later. At least what we have here is relatively innocuous. It could have been much worse.

But really, this sort of thing is inevitable. People will act like this, no matter how carefully you screen employees, stuff like this was bound to come out sooner or later.

So you're basically saying these actions are "acceptable" because it would have just happened anyway based on human nature?

I think your opinions, which you are abolustly entitled do, speak volumes for your personal work ethics and respect for another persons or companys property.

--Robb "Not someone I would personally want to employ." Alvey

I was not condoning it. I have repeatedly stated that firing these people would be just dandy with me. Give your witchhunt a break.

But with 60 years of hiring people in costumes, certainly footage of bad behavior was inevitable at some point. I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner.

I can't believe I haven't seen this on TV yet. We all know how news (especially local news) loves sensationalism.

Yeah, sure, Disney legal will deal with it. But I think the point is, they shouldn't have to. People should have enough sense to not do stuff like this. And they REALLY should have enough sense to not tape it! I can only imagine that all employees have to sign a contract that makes all sorts of behavior grounds for dismissal. You would think someone involved would say "hmm, we're doing stuff we're not supposed to be doing, we probably should put the camera away". I guess some folks are dumb.

For those that have never been employed by a large corporation, you have no idea what one of these contracts can be like. More and more companies are scouring the web, looking for posts on blogs or newsgroups where people talk about their jobs. And more often, they don't want you talking about your job AT ALL, not just negative stuff, as even the most innocent comment can be misinterpreted by a customer or client, and then all sorts of hell breaks loose.

It's a good idea these days to think twice about performing any act that might reflect badly on your employer, even if you think it's all in "innocent fun" or whatever, or you don't think anyone is watching. I've had to sign all sorts of lenghty documents over the years (some really crazy ones when I was doing government consulting). Some folks really need to use more common sense...

dt

Few companies need to protect their brand image to the extremes that Disney does. These beloved characters are the soul of this company, and they are entrusted with the sacred responsibility of interacting with peoples children. (Touching/hugging etc...)

For parents to allow that kind of interaction, there has to be an unspoken bond of trust between the parents and Disney. This video violates that trust, and throws into question the "type" of person Disney hires to be a cast member.

These characters also represent a major cash cow for the Disney Corporation. They are not only used at the Theme Parks, but also at private functions like weddings. (The Alveys) So if someone who is offended by this video decides to cancel their Disney Wedding and instead hold it at the Ritz Carlton, then look at the financial impact that can have to Disney. The fee charged for the wedding, hotel rooms for the bride/groom + guests, meals/merchandise, Theme Park admissions etc... all gone.

So something as seemingly innocuous as these characters messing around can actually snowball into a significant financial impact to Disney and their shareholders. This is why the employees have to sign these contracts, because their behavior can have a major impact on the company.

For those that have never been employed by a large corporation, you have no idea what one of these contracts can be like. More and more companies are scouring the web, looking for posts on blogs or newsgroups where people talk about their jobs. And more often, they don't want you talking about your job AT ALL, not just negative stuff, as even the most innocent comment can be misinterpreted by a customer or client, and then all sorts of hell breaks loose.

Hence the exact reason you see me talk very LITTLE about the project I'm currently working on.

--Robb "Because I know better!" Alvey

Hence the exact reason you see me talk very LITTLE about the project I'm currently working on.

--Robb "Because I know better!" Alvey

C'mon Robb, spill the beans!!! Just kidding. On a serious note, where I work, I have to remove my badge when I go next door because we have competition floating around everywhere.

Wow, so many posts since I went to work myself. I'm shocked so man people are still confused by this. It seems so straightforward to me: A visual representation of what Disney is and stands for was compromised by some young punks who didn't stop and think about the consequences of their actions. Hopefully other more newsworthy items will surface, so the media won't be searching for stories like this, because if they find it, it WILL be big, and blown WAY out of proportion. And as I'm sure many of you know, a lot of people believe every thing they hear: "I threw away all my down-filled pillows so I wouldn't catch the deadly bird-flu!"

James "Don't give the average citizen any credit" Dillaman

I think this is so wrong. Backstage or not, on video or not, this is just wrong.

The fact that Disney is in the business of "dreams" and this video could change the dream of just 1 child makes this devastating. Hell I'm 35 years old and I still feel like I'm 8 years old when I'm at WDW. I still believe in Disney Magic.

On another note, how much of the negative press that Disney receives is due to the ABC/ESPN/Disney connection? Do the other "news" companies make more out of negatives because they are in competition?

rbpia

"9 days until I experience the MAGIC that Disney has spent years and millions making me still believe"

I can't feel to sorry for Disney about this. Sorry. Disney's team of lawyers is excellent. The likelihood of this tarnishing their image in the long run is practically nil.

As long as we're caught up in image tarnishing, why not feel bad for the groups out there who can't defend themselves so easily?

Hell, look at Kazakhstan. A country seemingly picked at random to poke fun at by Borat (Sacha Baron Cohen). Now the country is the mental representation of the "backward middle east" to how many people in the west? There's not a hell of a lot they can do about it. They're pretty much damned if they sue, damned if they don't.

Or let's go even broader. Why not? How can legal action defend the mentally retarded for their "name" being "tarnished" repeatedly by the immature in need of insults? What about the homosexual community, for exactly the same reasons?

Disney's had the greater part of the twentieth century to build up its image. It's stronger than Stephen Colbert's testicles. Something as petty as this isn't going to knock it down. Should they have to go after it in the first place? Probably not. But there are plenty of groups out there we should be concerning ourselves with who are well ahead of the list than the Walt Disney Company.

Last comment on this. It appeared on Drudge yesterday morning it was gone by late afternoon. If it had real legs it would have really blown up by now. There is going to be enough Korean Nukes action, and politics to bury this on page nineteen of your local paper. Not only that it'll be on page three of TPR by Sunday.

Disney 1

CM Punks 0

I see some people just don't understand why this video and pictures are just not appropriate.

The magical image of going to a Disney park, where your dreams come true, are being spat upon. This company tries so hard to wisk you away from everyday life and enter into their world.

This video shows how there are still people who can bring down the image that Disney is the Happiest Place on Earth. People try to escape the sick and twisted world, instead, they might now think even worse.

Imagine if you thought that every Disney Character was like those in the video, you'd be insulting me personally, and I thats not fair to me. So why is this video fair to Disney's reputation?

The actions should haven't have occurred, nor should they have been documented. These cast members know that they should not be taking photos or videos backstage without a Manager's permission.

If you don't understand Robb's point of view, then there is no really easier way to explain it. God has been around forever. Some guy makes a video of God screwing Jesus. God would not be happy. See, same deal.