TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR-4/24/05-Paramount's Carowinds!

With my season pass form recieved in the mail, I decided to head to Carowinds in Charlotte, NC with my roommate Billy from here at good old Francis Marion University. The park is our "home park." From my place here at school it is about 2.5 hours away, and from Columbia, SC its an hour, so we decided to spend the night at Billy's mom's house. Ive enclosed some pics.

Well, after a night of deep conversation, Burger King, and building card houses, we finally went to sleep around 4 AM. And yes, we left the next morning for Carowinds at 8:30. Needless to say, we were tired! We arrived at the park around 9:30, 30 minutes prior to opening! We had a great parking spot at the gate, so we parked there and walked in to get our season passes processed. Everyone was really nice and we were really siked to get our 2005 passes! So we headed into the park!!!!

I really cant remember the order in which we rode any rides, so im going to list them and tell you my thoughts on them:

1. Top Gun- This inverted coaster is still a blast. We rode in the front twice, once in the middle and once in the back. We got the most airtime from the front. The trains were running as a good speed, the inverted elements were nice and smooth (Gah, I love the Batwing), and the G-Forces were very cool. Its running beautifully!

2. Thunder Road-This wooden coaster is a park staple. It provided plenty of airtime on the 2 times we rode in the middle. The back, however, is a different story! Billy and I were thrown all over our seats. The airtime was there, but the track seemed much rougher and it kind of hurt to ride from the back. We didnt ride it backwards, I dont want my knees broken! It is still a fun coaster!

3. Borg Assimillator-Flying coasters kickass! I have never been on one before, and I was scared to death to ride this thing. Ive heard people complain of how it shakes people. Im never afraid to ride a coaster, mind you, but we decided to do it anyway to see how good/bad it was. And I must say, I really had a heck of an experience. The drop and twists were smooth, as was the loop. I had no problems with being jerked around. The feeling dropping with all the expanse under you is just terrifying yet so so thrilling! Great ride.

4. Vortex- Ouch! I think I got my balls smashed into the seat. It was running really fast. We went through the loop fine but we seemed to enter the corkscrew really fast and it really hurt my shoulders and my balls. Darn standups.

5. Ricochet-Ive never been on a wild mouse before, but the bodyslamming fun was too good! Every turn I would bash Billy or he would bash me, creating pain but its quite fun! The short drops were taken at a good rate of speed, I dare say I got a pop of airtime. It was fun, but short.

6. Carolina Cyclone-Another park staple. This (Arrow) Looper provided a smooth ride. The 2 loops, corkscrews and helix were fun, and I wasnt tossed about. However, if youre tall like me (6'1'' 6'2'') Ride in the front of each car. The back two seats of each car and small and can be uncomfortable.

7. Hurler-That thing hurt. The drop was fun but it seems to be at a bad stage. I thought I punctured a kidney it hurt so much! Billy may need to go to a Chiropractor. The only thing I found good was the drop and the airtime it gave you. But slamming into your seat after the airtime? NOT FUN.

8. Runaway Reptar-This junior inverted coaster was not very exciting. Just standard kid ride. It wasnt uncomfortable as some have said. I didnt experience any pain, but the tight turns were minor fun. Smile.

9. Fairly Odd Coaster- They changed it from Scooby Doo? Damn them! Oh well. It was alright, I had to sit alone and slant my knees so they wouldnt get bashed in. I had to get my coaster credit, darn it.

10. Phantom Flyers- Totally fun! I always love these kites! I got mine high into the air and almost hit a branch and Billy did well too. Its just fun swinging around in the air like that. I saw an old man with a green ACE jacket and a cowboy hat! I thought that was hardcore.

Our trip was fun, all in all. It wasnt a busy day, we never had a wait for anything except Borg which was around 15 minutes. The park staff were very friendly and accomidating. Happy Days Diner needs to be avoided though. The burgers and fries were semi-warm. Not worth it.

We should be going back there next weekend for two days, so anyway, here are some photos from the weekend!

evilness.JPG.c0f7f72a581fa5fd0baa0bcbaf5dac0f.JPG

Should call this Harvey Wallbanger.

sobeautiful.JPG.580fcbc5c2be6339aa0ae400fda86d2d.JPG

Beautiful pic eh?

cyclone.JPG.1e3ec217621bca9b8bc3b14d03bb1b8b.JPG

Carolina Cyclone, good stuff.

ass.JPG.76326ee7a822dda50378c4fff8186b89.JPG

Uh...huhuh..look what I found!

borgage.JPG.8fd98cbca2f96755f08af7327a08c08d.JPG

Borg.

verticalloopage.JPG.30c6991ac4a55273841cce6e97caf31d.JPG

Top Gun baby!