TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

London's Tate Modern is currently an art theme park!

I've always been a big fan of the Tate Modern gallery here in London, especially the massive installations in the large turbine hall (it's a converted power station). We've had towers that you could climb up as well as a giant spider by Louise Bourgeois, Juan Muñoz created a new floor level as well as some (non-rideable) elavators, Anish Kapoor installed a giant stretched rubber sculpture resembling some sort of mad trumpet that filled the entire hall, Olafur Eliasson brought the sun indoors - well a fake sun at least - with his weather project, Bruce Nauman filled the hall with noise in a series of sound sculptures and Rachel Whiteread stacked up a whole lot of boxes!

And now... coming soon: Slides courtesy of Carsten Höller! They look like a lot of fun!

Check out: Tate Modern

and Kultureflash for more!

Tate Modern really is turning into an art theme park!

Robin

TateM_CH1.JPG.79d061f05ea5891c06372ece5a9c47bf.JPG

Slides under construction - as found on the Kultureflash site linked to above.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That seems pretty cool; I always wondered what it'd be like to zoom around in all that space because its just so massive and empty in there. I can't be the only person who wanted to climb inside the Anish Kapoor sculpture (ok, maybe I am). I bet this one will be limited to kids only though but it'll be great to go and see.

So in essence they are building City Museum but in an actual museum.

FYI City Museum is a "Museum" in downtown St. Louis that is nothing but stuff to climb on, huge slides and other fun stuff. They have a skateless skate park (rope swings, miniramps, bowls, quarter pipes), a huge outdoor ballpit with dodgeballs for the balls, and a few multi-story slides. You guys should check it out next time you are in STL.

www.citymuseum.org

Well, I went along to the Tate Modern today and can't emphasize the following point strongly enough for those of you thinking of visiting:

You need to obtain a free, timed ticket from the ticket desk on level 1 (ground) prior to joining the queue for the slides on levels 3, 4 or 5!!

My housemate Tom and I turned up in the late afternoon and rushed straight for the slide on floor 5, the daredevils that we are (!), and queued for a good 20 minutes prior to realising that we needed to have obtained tickets. So I rushed down to the ticket desk whilst Tom was still in the queue - but they had just run out of tickets for the day. I think the idea behind having the tickets is to minimise the already very long queues (I hate to think what it'll be like on a weekend!) and give each visitor just one ride on each of the big slides. But some additional signs or signs at least a little closer to the back of the queue line would have been appreciated!

The smaller slides from floor 2 didn't require tickets, so we got on one of those after another 20 minute wait. The general gist is that they lay down a mat for you, you put your feet into the end, they tell you to lie back and keep your arms folded across your chest, much like a waterslide, and then they, rather bizarrely, give you a push to start you moving! As for the actual slide we got on, it was obviously very short, but also very fast and incredibly bumpy! I'm curious to see what the larger slides are like soon... although that may involve visitng an oesteopath afterwards!

The funniest thing was watching the people fly down at the end of slide 5 - some of them hit the crash mat, others weren't so lucky! The quoted 30mph is no exageration!

Here are some pictures of my somewhat disappointing visit: (and maybe some video clips at a later stage)

tprslides9.jpg.6099d6ff517ce628fe35d3f1b3fb8c3d.jpg

Me looking slightly disappointed. Thanks for reading!

tprslides8.jpg.3f0ecf1d6003ffbca64d5069620f8047.jpg

...and being pushed down by the attendant!

tprslides7.jpg.ff4e06a9b11281ecaa53783c1e0fd392.jpg

Tom loading himself into one of the 2nd floor slides...

tprslides6.jpg.714dcaa92e2f667f6ec0f09ca229df8c.jpg

One of the slides on floor 2.

tprslides5.jpg.49e0df04f5c610c16bd5d805b03e5217.jpg

The slide from floor 4 - rumoured to be the fastest of them all in an article I read... Sadly I didn't get to find out for myself!

tprslides4.jpg.43edcb7d9e60f752ccedac859967141b.jpg

The slides on floors 3 and 5 (plus the queue for one of the floor 2 slides).

tprslides3.jpg.ec952e6ddd18aa108f3ce544cfec74eb.jpg

So no big slides for us, since they'd just run out of tickets!

tprslides2andahalf.jpg.c92484dc6c048a9d8fc134f198ad9835.jpg

...without realising that you have to go to the ticket desk first!

tprslides2.jpg.62103ca4452e1e19d5557db35c83f65f.jpg

The fools that we were, we rushed straight to this queue on the 5th floor...

tprslides1.jpg.1db1f0171bbea52fa24e1745435859d0.jpg

Mmm... slides!