TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Official LOST Discussion Thread

obeygiant

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^ Did you watch Kimmel after? He actually made some REALLY good points about the show (well, not sure if they were HIS points or his writers points).

LOST was about "Jack". Period. There were other stories going on, but in the end, it was about Jack. This was Jack's place (where they all met in the end). He was the last one to see what he had to do. In the end, he was the one who had the hardest time letting go. Everybody else kind of welcomed it once they realized what was going on. Jack being that "man of science" had a harder time with it.

Whether people died before Jack (Shannon, Boone, Charlie, Sayid, Juliet, Locke, etc) or after Jack (Claire, Kate, Sawyer, even Aaron) they all existed at this point and time in Jack's life. Because of Jack's final task of "saving the island" that turned out to be the most important thing he ever did. All of the things that happened before that whether on or off the island came down to that one thing. And all of those people were instrumental in him being able to do what he had to do.

Maybe by Jack saving the island, what he really did was save all of them (whether they were already dead or died years later). The religious overtones were always a major plot point of LOST and it was fitting that it came down to that in the end.

^Yep, I tried watched Kimmel afterwards (but was dosing in and out) and I forgot about Kimmel pointing that out. Which just brings up another problem. Why couldn't the fact that it was "Jack's show" be stated more clearly on LOST and not on Kimmel.

If I have to go around the internet still trying to piece stuff together after the finale, I am disappointed.

I really cant imagine at all what was hard to follow about the finale. Besides some pointless specifics, the entire series makes sense. Jack and friends save the world and find peace in death.

I'm giving the episode and the series some more thought ...

At the end of the day, NONE of us knows what happens when we die. People may "Believe" one thing or another and have "Faith" that we will be in heaven, that some go to hell, that we will be reincarnated, etc.

I think I really like Damon and Carlton's idea that maybe after we die we end up with those that were closest to us and everything is the way it's supposed to be. I for one wouldn't mind that one bit and I can't help but smile thinking about an ending like that.

And that is pretty much why I'm satisfied with the ending. If I could look at an ending for my own life being like the ending the losties had, and thinking "That would be an ending I could live (die) with", how could I think it's a bad ending for them.

Watched it twice now. I really liked it, and the more you think about it, you realize they actually really did answer a lot of questions, just maybe in a more subtle way that you don't get quite at first.

BTW, I am going to spend even more money at Target now thanks to their BRILLIANT advertising. LOVED IT! Does anyone know if this had been planned for awhile, or was quickly put together after the Ben thing on the Late Show about "I have to go to Target"?

BTW, I am going to spend even more money at Target now thanks to their BRILLIANT advertising. LOVED IT! Does anyone know if this had been planned for awhile, or was quickly put together after the Ben thing on the Late Show about "I have to go to Target"?

It takes some time to create and edit the ads and negotiate with the networks for use of ABC (LOST) intellectual property so very confident that the creative was planned for a while. It is quite possible that Michael Emerson was paid a fee to plug Target on the Late Show, but it could be a coincidence also.

Edited by larrygator

I have mixed feeling about the finale. I need to watch it again, but my initial reaction was "That was it?? Really?!?!?". I mean, I get what they were trying to do, but I'm not buying the fact that this was the ending that they had planned out from the beginning. I also found parts of it to be way too sappy. Even though I did get choked up when Vincent laid down next to Jack at the end - Add a dog to an already emotional scene and I'm pretty much a mess.

Meh, bring on 24 tonight!!

I think people are putting too much into the whole "they knew how they were going to end it" thing.

I'm thinking what they were really talking about is that the show was going to end with Jack closing his eye in the same spot as it began with Jack opening his eye. Matthew Fox even confirmed that he knew in Season 1 that the show was going to end with his eye closing and he figured that meant he died and wondered if it would be a good death. And IMO it was.

I think people are putting too much into the whole "they knew how they were going to end it" thing.

I'm thinking what they were really talking about is that the show was going to end with Jack closing his eye in the same spot as it began with Jack opening his eye. Matthew Fox even confirmed that he knew in Season 1 that the show was going to end with his eye closing and he figured that meant he died and wondered if it would be a good death. And IMO it was.

Knowing the exact scene that you're going to end on isn't necessarily the same thing that the writers and even J.J Abrams talked about during the first few seasons. An eye closing is far different than what they went on record saying we have such and such mapped out for the story. It really was touted as being bigger than simply a book-end scene throwing back to the pilot episode. Hell, I may have to go through some of the DVDs again to see it, but I could swear that one of the commentaries or behind the scenes things basically said word for word, "We've got X amount of story planned out over Y amount of seasons". More so, once the "end date" was known, there was also the talk of "relief' that they finally knew when they could get into what the wanted to get into all along.

I liked the finale as a show, do not care for it as the series finale though, if that makes any sense.

I too would have liked to see it a bit darker, less happy endings for all, and maybe show consequences to some of the characters whom did not do the best they could do the entire time. Redemption is good, but you can still be redeemed/forgiven while not having the happiest of endings. I understand that this show has been about characters and that is why I watched it for as long as I have, but the show that had some deep roots in a scientific mystery-drama seemed to lost its way and I do believe a lot of the faith/magic/mysticism aspect of it was tacked on as an easy out...

I miss the Jack vs Locke debates; the Man of Science / Man of Faith aspect where we had the two of them sparring off on destiny, purpose, etc. That Jack goes towards a faith aspect in the end, not surprising given what he'd been through, just that the show sort of lost that root... somewhere along the point when the sky started flashing I guess.

As for the purgatory bit... While it gives them the chance to make everyone together and give a good send off to everyone involved.... I was expecting more from the alternate-time-line. That Desmond was trying to get everyone together and that he was a "weapon" really had me believing that something in the alt-time would end up saving the "real". Or that the two time-lines would converge with an ultimate choice for some on going on in the "new" time, forgetting the old or going back to the old with all of its baggage and loss...

I liked the finale as a show, do not care for it as the series finale though, if that makes any sense.

Yes, that's something I forgot to include in my little diatribe.

And one more rant, about the rebroadcasting of the shows in enhanced format. There were always subtitles added that were never trult confirmed when watching the original episode. For example, when they showed the pilot on Saturday night there was a subtitle saying the Jcaob and MiB were boen on the island and had been arguing for 2,000 years as soon in such and such episode. Never in the original series was it clearly stated when Claudia and her kind washed up on the island. That stuff always bothered me. But it's over now!

Never in the original series was it clearly stated when Claudia and her kind washed up on the island. That stuff always bothered me. But it's over now!

I first read about the time period of the "Across the Sea" episode being around 20 A.D. from spoiler sites. This was probably discovered from production notes or from interviews with producers/cast members. I am not sure why it didn't just have a caption saying the year like they did in the Richard-centric episode.

They were definitely very sloppy in closing the loose ends on the mythology aspect of the show, probably because the final twist dealt more with the character aspect and they wanted enough time to set that up with the flash sideways. That probably explains why Dogen and Ilana's character seem so wasted because they didn't have enough time to explain their characters more thouroughly.

I was VERY mixed about the finale. The finale itself was absolutely brilliant. I LOVE the idea of making your own purgatory so you have a place to meet up with your loved ones and important people, and you are all able to pass on together. The whole sideways on its own was done well, and there was some cool forshadowing with Juliet and Sawyer this season.

I must say that I was a HUGE fan of the mythology aspect. Yes, I cared about the characters, the writers did a good job of making me care about them. They also did an excellent job of getting me sucked into the mythology, leading me on for 5 seasons, only to say during season six "we are only going to show what we have always felt matters most, the relationship between the characters." So more or less, they were saying we are going to throw the mythology by the wayside and focus on characters for season six. Yeah, thanks Darlton.

Even though they said all that, they kicked off the season with mythology.. Say hello to the pointless temple, and the Nikki and Paulo of season six, Dogen and lennon. We find out they know virtually nothing and are killed. Also, we get to see how Ben was healed, except it was only used as a plot device to allow Smokey into the temple by infecting Sayid. How did that happen? Who knows? Ok, we're off to a bad start, but there's still hope..

Widmore shows up on the island with a mysterious package, which we all know is Desmond right off the bat.. Yeah, this is more like it!!! Then we saw he brought the Geek Squad with him.. Eh, between this and the sideways, I was bored to tears for a few eps.. but its lost, so I kept hanging on.. And am hoping the much heralded Richard Alpert episode will redeem me.

We get the answers to two mysteries, one that has been lurking since season one. Arzt hinted at it, and he was right. A freakin TIDAL WAVE... Ok, makes sense, its the simplest and most plausable answer, I get that. but in my opinion highly disappointing since we've had all this cool mythology thrown at us over the years, such as the island being able to move in space/time. So instead of getting a cool mythology answer like the island move, we get a tidal wave. Then, we find out Richards ageless 'cause Jacob said so.

Speaking of Jacob.. It was nice to know him and the MiB were twins, however, it was NOT nice to find out they knew more or less the same about the island as any of the other characters on the show, or you and I for that matter.. Man! And we never found out exactly what the rules were, just that Jacob made them, which we already knew. We get introduced to this light, that needs protecting. MiB falls in and becomes Smoke? really? why??? I thought there was a volcano on the island. In my opinion, it would have been cool if he was turned in the smoke by being pushed into the volcano, since you know, smoke and darkess are usually associated with something as sinnister as a volcano and not, you know, A BRIGHT BEACON OF LIGHT. But whatever, I've kinda checked at this point.

So the finale comes. I oddly enjoy every second of it. I loved the purgatory, I loved how the sideways comes together and we find out its purpose. I think about it for days after, and it actually makes me feel good which is the whole purpose.. until I start thinking of, you know, every other season and how the sideways purgatory sort of became a copout from answering any of the mythology they created to keep us hooked for years.. or at least some of us. So really, I did enjoy the ride.. I wish I could have got more out of season 6 as a whole, but the finale made up for it. Just my two cents.

Excellent article here about the finale, as well as some very good points about the series as a whole: http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20313460_20387946,00.html

Also a great article on Cracked regarding LOST-themed food ideas. http://www.cracked.com/blog/23-awesome-food-ideas-for-your-lost-finale-party/

Excerpt:

"Don't Tell Me What I Can't Fondue"

This melted cheese dip didn’t use to be melted. It used to be a sad, hardened, angry cheese. Then it arrived to the party and got melted, finally fulfilling its potential. It is made with smoked muenster.

• 7 months later...