TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Official LOST Discussion Thread

obeygiant

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with tonight is there's no way it can live up to the hype we've all created ourselves.

I'm sure it will be great and will answer a lot of questions but I'm not expecting some Earth-shattering event. If anything it will just be sad not having more new Lost to look forward to!

No matter what happens tonight, Lost will always be one of the greatest TV series. As I watched the pilot episode last night I realized how far these characters and this show has come in the last 6 years. I think this was the first show ever that made me actually go out and look for stuff (Character names, quantum physics, religion, etc.) and engage in conversations and debates with people all over the world about themes like good vs. evil, religion vs. science, even women wanting the bad boy over the good guy. Because of the internet, this show truly became a worldwide phenomenon, and I will certainly miss it very much.

I think it's going to be a long time until we have something as great as this on TV again. Was it perfect? Nope. Was it frustrating? Hell yes. Did it piss me off with episodes that seemed totally pointless? Yep. But then I think back and remember that for every "What Kate Does" there are many more "Through the Looking Glass" and "The Constant". To make up for Nikki and Paulo we have "Walkabout" and "Ab Aterno". And I don't think that any TV viewing moment will ever top the total mind f*%! that was the last scene in the season 3 finale when we got introduced to the flash FORWARD.

So that's why I know, that no matter what happens tonight, I'll be satisfied. I'll still have those memories and those great episodes on DVD. I know some people will be disappointed tonight. You can't please everyone. Personally I think they're going to leave the ending a little ambiguous and open to debate. I think this would be great because that means that even years from now when you meet a fellow Lost fan, you will still be able to discuss and debate about the show that never felt it had to talk down to it's audience. The show that was willing to go from theoretical physics to deep questions about theology to debates about the essence of the human spirit, and let each of us take from it what we will.

So for all that, thank you Lost; it has been a real pleasure getting to know you these last 6 years.

I don't know about you guys, but I loved every minute of it. It all made so much sense, and yet so little. If they did anything right with the finale, it was that they kept up the mysterious nature of each clue and each answer until the very end.

And the last 30 seconds of the show sent the very same chills down my spine that I got in the first 30 seconds of the pilot episode over six years ago. Full circle would be an understatement, and I'm fine with that. I felt that I wouldn't have any desire to re-watch this show after the finale, but tonight's finale changed my mind. I'll wait for a Blu-Ray series release and I'll be set.

My Summer has been made.

No other television series will be able to capture me as much as LOST did. For a TV show to give me chills, is pretty damn impressive, and I actually learned quite a lot from watching the series. No doubt, I will continue to watch this show for the rest of my life, which is something that I will only say once.

It's been real LOST.

I just loved that everyone ended up together the way they should have. I loved when all the connections were finally made. There are obviously lots of questions on-island, but I'm satisfied with what we got tonight.

I'm just pissed my local ABC affiliate isn't airing the Kimmel special until 12:30.

Let me see if I got everything straight.

The Flash Sideways was actually an epilogue of sorts. When they all died during the show they went to this "place" and they couldn't move on until they all connected with each other. So, they all had to wait until everyone died. I am assuming the Flash Sideways was taking place well into the future because Hurley and Ben were aware that they had spent time on the island together protecting it.

Hurley to Ben: You made a great #2.

Ben to Hurley: You made a great #1.

And evidently there is now a large camp of fans that are saying that they all died at the beginning of the show and the whole island was purgatory (which is specifically what the writers said it wasn't) and they were trapped on it until they could move on. (i.e. the whispers) Supposedly, Locke was reading a book called "An occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge" at some point during the show which is a short story about purgatory and the wikipedia article about this story leaked on Twitter 5 hours before the episode aired. I don't know what to think about all that.

^ I disagree that they all died at the beginning .. Only the Flash Sideways was the "dream". I do think that Hurley (as the new Jacob) set that up for Jack, though.

Another 2.5 wasted hours. Very disappointed! So the writers really did have no clue how to end this.

I'm with Larry - I was pretty disappointed with the ending. I also refuse to believe that the writers planned this ending all along; I don't doubt that everything was planned up to the end of season 5, but this whole season just felt like flailing.

But really, I don't care that sthe ending sucked because the entire rest of the show was simply stunning. John really summed it up well, and I'm hoping that some mega-DVD box set is released soon .. With all the specials, and a physical map of the island and such. I'd pick that up in a second.

Will miss the show .. Sad to think that I'll never again get to hear "previously, on Lost"..

Cameron.

larrygator - they knew the end all along, it was just the journey getting there. I was very satisfied. It was somewhat predictible but satisfied. How would you have liked it to end?

I would have liked it to end without the lame everyone meets again in the alterna/after life and realizes they know else other.

I liked the Jack/Locke battle and the use of Desmond on the island. But would have preferred an ending with the Ajira plane being blown out of the sky for invading North Korean airspace over this.

^ I disagree that they all died at the beginning .. Only the Flash Sideways was the "dream". I do think that Hurley (as the new Jacob) set that up for Jack, though.

Cameron.

I can buy that. I like that a lot more than the whole six seasons was just a fancy version of purgatory.

I really hope they do a Question and Answer and explain some of this crap. Like what the hell was up with Jacob's Cabin?!?

I liked Jack dying. I most certainly didn't like everyone being dead.

It was Battlestar Galactica all over again. Lots of talk about a plan, but clearly there wasn't one.

Oh well, the first five seasons were good.

Overall it was a much more satisfying ending than say Twin Peaks or Seinfeld (I know, apples to oranges on the last one).

I think I'm actually ok with the ending. It leaves a LOT open to interpretation and I wouldn't expect anything more or less from LOST.

Do I think they were all dead since Episode 1 ... NO. Even Christian said that some died before him and some died long after him. I would assume this would be Sawyer, Kate, Hurley, Claire, Desmond, Penny that died after him. Everybody else was pretty much before. This was just the pre-determined time and space they all needed to come back to whether they died on the island or long after.

I really thought that it was going for more of a "Dark Tower" ending.

(Spoiler ahead if you haven't/want to read those books)

I thought it might have been more of an ending that would start back at the beginning and they would have to go back and try and make up for the mistakes made on/off the island. That this story had played out many times before, and they got close this time, but not close enough to really make any real difference.

/end Dark Tower spoiler

I found myself becoming VERY emotional seeing everybody kind of have a "Happy" ending whether it was Sayid and Shannon, Charlie and Claire (that one got me the most). Interestingly enough, no sign of Lapidis or Miles in the Church. I thought of Michael too, but that was explained on Kimmel.

There are also stories that were not finished. What happened to Kate, Sawyer, Claire, Lipidis, Miles and Richard. Is Richard still immortal (getting the grey hair would tell me no). Hurley being the #1, Ben being the #2. Ben being a GOOD #2 (redemption for Ben). Did Ben, Desmond and Hurley ever get off the island? Who took Hurley's place? Could it be "Baby Kwon"?

As for why Ben didn't go in the church, I'm thinking his story with Danielle and Alex wasn't done and he needed them to come with him. There was no "connection" there between him and Danielle or Alex showing the flashes remembering the island.

Perhaps they have a "different" meeting place.

But again, I didn't expect everything to be wrapped up, and I'm ok with that.

Why does the show end with Jack closing his eyes and then everybody meeting up in this so called purgatory? Clearly people live longer than Jack, I guess that's one of my big problems with the ending (Jack dying and everyone gathers in the afterlife) besides all the untied knots.

Looking back I don't think there could have been an ending that I would have been happy with, but I was still hoping for one. If the show had ended without the whole gathering at the church I would have been happy. Or if they had congregated in the basement of the church and it was the Lamp Post and Eloise had some explanation that my mind could never comprehend.

Edited by larrygator