TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Official LOST Discussion Thread

obeygiant

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After having 40 minutes or so to think about this episode, I feel the need to type out what I think this episode revealed. I'll try and keep this short...

If you are exposed to the electromagnetic force that exists on the island, you experience a "flash" like Desmond did in the Season 3 episode "Flash Before Your Eyes". Basically, your conscience "time-travels" to some point in your past. This much we knew before this episode.

When Desmond passes through the "boundary" around the island, which I believe is some form of the electromagnetic field, it triggers a more severe series of "flashes" which are now reversed. Your conscience self from the past is brought to the present. These "flashes" increase in frequency exponentially to the point that your brain hemorrhages and you die. Faraday who has obviously researched this theory for years, has figured the only way to survive is to find some form of constant from both time periods. That constant must be activated in the present, so that you can reconnect to your present conscience. Hence, Desmond calls Penny and he now remembers who he is in the present time of this episode. Which was a really kick-ass scene by the way!

So, what is the significance of this? Faraday appears like he is going to expose himself to the same electromagnetic force that Desmond was exposed to. In his journal, he wrote something about using Desmond as a constant. Remember, Faraday now knows Desmond in 1996 and 2004. I think he was always afraid that he would not be able to get off the island alive, because of the reverse flashes that trigger once you try and leave the island. But now that Desmond has proved his "constant" theory to be correct, he knows he can get off the island. I'm not sure what his intentions are in doing all of this, but if a mouse can instantaneously learn to navigate a maze that it has never seen, imagine what a physicist like Faraday could do!

Okay, I am done now. Sorry if I made no sense.

Such a great, great episode. It seems like Desmond's episodes are always good. That is interesting about Farraday, but why didn't he have those problems when he got to the island? Has it just not happened yet?

The scene with Desmond and Penne was just amazing. That long build-up from season 2 was well worth it.

This season just keeps getting better and better.

That is interesting about Farraday, but why didn't he have those problems when he got to the island? Has it just not happened yet?

What do you mean? Why didn't he flash when got to the island? He hasn't been exposed to anything yet. He could never figure out the frequency to set the radiation at. (1.234 and 11 Hz or whatever it was) But he figured out what it was once he got to the island and sent a messenger in Desmond to tell his 1996 "self" what it was. There is no telling what he will be able to do, once he flashes now.

This concept is really hurting my head.

But he figured out what it was once he got to the island and sent a messenger in Desmond to tell his 1996 "self" what it was.

Or did he know it in the future because Desmond had told him the numbers in the past? That's been making my brain hurt for 12 hours now.

I think this was the best episode of LOST yet.

That is interesting about Farraday, but why didn't he have those problems when he got to the island?

Farraday hasn't been exposed to severe electromagnetism, outside of going through the thunderhead. Desmond was exposed to such an event when the hatch exploded and I think that the electromagentism in the thunderhead released this time travel.

Remember when Farraday was talking to Desmond on the phone he asked if Desmond had been subjected to any strong electromagnetic fields recently.

He could never figure out the frequency to set the radiation at. (1.234 and 11 Hz or whatever it was)

I think it was 2.342, sound familiar? 4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42...

I think that was possibly the best episode of Lost ever!!! MY heart was racing so much after it finished.

Farraday hasn't been exposed to severe electromagnetism, outside of going through the thunderhead. Desmond was exposed to such an event when the hatch exploded and I think that the electromagentism in the thunderhead released this time travel.

Remember when Farraday was talking to Desmond on the phone he asked if Desmond had been subjected to any strong electromagnetic fields recently.

I don't think it was necessarily the thunderhead that caused the electromagnetism. I believe it was passing through the boundary around the island which is made of this electromagnetism. This boundary is what keeps the island hidden to the outside world and unless approached at the right bearing, prevents those on the island from leaving it. Maybe passing it through it has the appearance of a thunderstorm who knows?

I think it was 2.342, sound familiar? 4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42...

Yeah, you are probably right. Those stinking numbers again!

But Farraday was exposed to all that radiation while doing the testing on Eloise, wouldn't that have an effect on him? The other thing I was thinking was that if you go or leave the island on the correct bearing, there is no effect. Since Frank was slightly off when they left in the chopper, it triggered the flash in Desmond. And if the 4 came to the island on the correct bearing, then it wouldn't have any flash effect on Farraday.

This is by far the best tv show ever created.

But Farraday was exposed to all that radiation while doing the testing on Eloise, wouldn't that have an effect on him? The other thing I was thinking was that if you go or leave the island on the correct bearing, there is no effect. Since Frank was slightly off when they left in the chopper, it triggered the flash in Desmond. And if the 4 came to the island on the correct bearing, then it wouldn't have any flash effect on Farraday.

This is by far the best tv show ever created.

In the original timeline, or the unaltered timeline, he was never successful with his experiments. I don't think Desmond giving him the numbers in the "altered" 1996, will lead to him suddenly knowing what the numbers are in the present 2004. That's not how I believe this time travel aspect of the show works. Farraday figured the correct readings out by taking measurements on the island. He then gave these readings to Desmond, who in turn, told Farraday in 1996. The "1996" Farraday does now know how to perform the experience, but it is an altered timeline that is not connected to the the consciousness of the "2004" Farraday. (My brain just popped ) In the present time of the show, Farraday only remembers the unaltered timeline of his past. He will physically have to be exposed to the electromagnetic force on the island before he can accomplish whatever it is he is trying to do.

Of course I could be completely wrong because this is some pretty heavy concepts.

Another good episode. Did not like it as much as many of you did, but I'm glad to see them going in a different format now for some episodes which according to spoilers out there will continue!

I think the whole time travel thing has just been ruined for me since I know Ryan and his Deloreon!

The exchange at the end with Pennie and Desmond was really nice though.

But Farraday was exposed to all that radiation while doing the testing on Eloise, wouldn't that have an effect on him?

I don't have time to rewatch, so a question for those with a better memory. Did Farraday question whether Desmond had recently been subjected to electromagnetism "or radiation"? If so you may have a good point and that is why Farraday has already designated Desmond as his constant.

Ed is indeed correct that the calibration was 2.342 I did recognize the 23, 42 while wacthing the show and was surprised they didn't make the Hertz setting another one of the numbers.

Anyone else notice there is an 8 year timeline between 1996 and 2004, if they can jump ahead 8 years to 2012, we can find out if the world ends or not.

A really enjoyable episode.

And I started tearing up, when Desmond finally connected with Pennie, after all that time. It was quite the episodic finale.

And as somebody said here earlier, I agree that he is definitely getting some of the more interesting and now emotional-filled episodes, yet.

Can't wait for this Thursday!

I finally got to watch the episode last night and I think it was one of the best so far this season.

Okay, here's some things I noticed:

The number that Faraday told Desmond was 2.342 @ 11 Hertz, that equation made the time displacement roughly one hour. Now 2+3+4+2+11. So if 4+8+15+16+24+42=108, does that mean that setting "the machine" at 48.15162442 @ 108 Hertz make the time displacement 8 years? (The time between 1996 and 2004) Just a thought.

There doesn't seem to be physical time travel, rather its your mind that actually goes on the mind trip, after you've been exposed to radiation (or masses of electromagnatism, which I believe is a form of radiation) Given this, I think we may have a couple of others who might be able to visit their past just like Desmond did. First we have Faraday himself, who used to expose himself to radiation all the time. He may be able to do the mind jump if he's exposed to the right trigger (Like Desmond was when the helicopter deviated slightly). The other person is Locke.

Remember Locke was near the hatch when it exploded. He may not have gotten as concentrated a dose as Desmond did but he was irradiated. So I think that Locke at some point will also do the mind trip and that we've already seen him do it a couple of times. He said to Jack "You're not supposed to this." at the end of last season. He also told Hurly (I think) that the rain was about to stop, and it did. These could be Lockes flashes back to the past from the future.

Obviously there is some sort of funky time on the island, but the superphones that the boat people brought seem to be able to communicate with each other instantly, with no time lag. How are they going to explain that? I'm on board with the idea that you can warp time or at least your perception of time, but wouldn't radio signals be affected too? This is the one thing that's bugging me currently but I hope they can come up with something plausible.

Anyways, just some random crap that has been running around my head today since I watch it last night. I'm really glad that LOST had gotten back to being one of the best shows on TV and I can't wait for Thurs. to get my next fix!

Pretty good episode tonight.

I liked the flashback a lot. We finally know what the deal between Juliet and Ben is.

Here's my short recap.

-The "purge" (the event that led to the others taking over the island) was caused by gases released from a power station called The Tempest. Explains why they were wearing gas suits.

-Faraday and Charlotte weren't actually imploding a hatch, they were disabling it, so Ben couldn't use it to kill everyone on the island.

-Juliet had a thang with Godwyn. Ben killed Godwyn because he is in love with Juliet. This was the reason why Ben brought Juliet to the island. Juliet resembles someone in Ben's past, "the woman in the painting".

-Those whispers are back. What the heck are they?

-Jack and Juliet, in my opinion, are not as believable a couple as Kate and Sawyer.

-Ben tells Locke that the owner of the boat is none other than Penny's father, Charles Widmore. He is trying to find the location the island to exploit it, according to Ben.

-Ben tells Locke who is "guy" is on the boat, and Ben is free for now. We of course are teased with this info, because we will not find out till next week. Blah!

^^Actually the Godwyn/Juliet romance was shown previously in flashbacks.

I wish we got a better view of the Charlotte/Juliet catfight.

What I don't understand is if Michael is the Ben's man on the boat (which seems to be the prevailing thought) why don't the freighter people suspect him of sabotaging the communications room.

Also, when Desmond had to pick a constant he could have made it a lot easier choosing Daniel. I mean Daniel took the easy way out picking Desmond.

Overall another great episode and they say the rest of the Oceanic 6 will be revealed next week.

chiming in with my theories...

Ben is one step ahead of everything and is where he wants to be because he goes back and forth in time.

Ben sent the therapist to find Juliette by time travel

Also, the person on the boat would probably be more of a shocker than Michael, I could be wrong here but I think it would have to be more shocking for Locke since Ben told him to sit down.

I'm thinking it could be 1 of 2 things... if they are playing the time travel game... Ben could say to Locke "my man on the boat is YOU" if they're going to go there. So if they DO go there, all bets are off.

if they DO go THERE, then my vote is that it's Locke's dad, because that'd be a shocker.

^^^It is obvious but I didn't want to just blurt it out.

^^I forgot that they had showed us that before about Juliet and Godwyn.

Oh I hear you, it is almost impossible to remember everything that has happened in the series and still conduct a real life. I had completely forgot they Juliet and Goodwin had something going on until they showed him hitting on her. I told my friend and his wife as we were watching last night and they said I was misremembering.

It is great that they bring back snippets from past seasons to continue to tie together loose ends.

I would like to think that it's NOT Michael on the boat. Since we've been literally told about Michael's coming back, through media publicity, it would be nice to find out that he wasn't Ben's man on the ship, lol. And surprisingly, came back into the scene from "somewhere else".

And judging by that remark Ben made to Locke about "having to sit down" before telling him who was on the ship.... and then Ben is found carrying stuff back to a house (his, given back to him by Locke?)...

Sounds like it's too OMG to be Michael.

The suggestion that it might be Locke himself, in another time line, sounds as good an answer to me, as any other I've heard so far.

Actually, now that I think about it, having Locke's DAD on the ship would be fine, even though he's already been killed, on the island, LOL.