TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Tatsu Lift hill scares the ##$%#% out of me

OK, I am probably paranoid and all but no matter how many times I have been on Tatsu (over 30) I still get super freaked out going up the lift hill looking at the concrete down below and thinking to myself this is it, the restraint could just open and there is no secondary little seat belt (Ala: Deja vu, X or Riddlers) to make me feel safer. I mean come on, revolution has two restraints for Gosh sakes. I have tried looking up the patents ( for Tatsu's restraint system to try and prove to myself that there is no way on earth the restraint could pop open but I have been unable to find the piece that describes the locking mechanism. Does anyone have any information or knowledge regarding that locking mechanism that would alleviate some of my fears? I love the ride and I know fear is part of the fun but I really don't ever want to fall out on the lift hill! That would really suck!

Please answer first and then check the Patent URL just because otherwise you will get stuck looking up all the patents and forget about this post, I know all about ADD www.personal.psu.edu/faculty/v/a/vac3/nonus.html

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think you have anything to worry about.

B&M builds high quailty products and I've never heard of one of their restraints failing.

I also wouldn't mind there being a seat belt on the flyers or their hyper trains, but I feel pretty confident in B&M that it won't all of a sudden pop open.

Plus their computer systems are very sensitive. I've seen them have to like jump on Superman's restraint a couple times to make sure it was locked because the computer was telling them it wasn't.

Thanks for the reply, although I need some scientific proof! Does the weight of the rider pushing down on the restraint while in the flying position physically prevent that latching mechanism from popping open? The little metal bar on the restraint that latches into the seat? I could imagine if there is weight pushed down on the metal bard that it would be physically impossible for the bar to become unlatched while weighted. That is my theory at this point which is why I still ride the attraction, but I am still scared crap less on that lift hill and at the moment when you do a flying move that puts lots of pressure on the restraint (right over Valencia falls)

Yeah, those restraints won't open.

The vest is made of a specially formulated (I believe it is neoprene) rubber that can withstand many times the actual forces that could be put on it by any rider. The vest would not break because wear on the vest would be noted before it could tear. Assuming that it somehow did tear, your enitre lower body is still restrained, plus the metal grab bars would still hold your torso.

The pins lock and are secured by a system with 1 or 2 backups (not sure which). If all 2 or 3 systems fail, the restraints lock. Once the restraints are locked in the station, the default position for them is locked. There is absolutely no chance whatsoever that the restraints could fail-rest assured of that.

Yeah, those restraints won't open.

The vest is made of a specially formulated (I believe it is neoprene) rubber that can withstand many times the actual forces that could be put on it by any rider. The vest would not break because wear on the vest would be noted before it could tear. Assuming that it somehow did tear, your enitre lower body is still restrained, plus the metal grab bars would still hold your torso.

The pins lock and are secured by a system with 1 or 2 backups (not sure which). If all 2 or 3 systems fail, the restraints lock. Once the restraints are locked in the station, the default position for them is locked. There is absolutely no chance whatsoever that the restraints could fail-rest assured of that.

Thanks so much for the info, the vest is the least of my worries I do not have any fear of the vest failing it is the Pin lock system that you discuss in the second paragraph that I worry about, since this seems to be really the only thing holding the restraint together. If that pin failed it really would not make any difference how strong the vest it. I wonder what type of backup the pin could have because it does seem like a simple latch (which I am sure it is not), The patent does show a good breakdown of the mechanism although the text is not in English and I have misplaced the link to the patent at this point. Now at the end of the day I am sure it is very safe although I need to tell my brain that, it still does not believe me. It needs scientific proof.

It's scary, but it's not something you should realistically worry about. B&M is probably the very last roller coaster manufacturer you need to worry about when it comes to your safety.

Seriously, does anybody out there have nearly the track record they do? No pun intended....

I am sure it is safe, but I need to tell that to my brain. Hence the reason that I am posting asking for more solid physical evidence to prove that it is safe.

At this point, I am trusting more than any other attraction since almost all other attractions that are more dangerous they generally have more than one safety restraint. While in the flying position I would imagine that if any ride warranted a secondary restraint, it would be this ride! I mean come on, does Revolution really need two restraints!? How about Dejavu's three restraints! (Seat Belt, OTR and then secondary seatbelt connecting OTR to chassis). I would think that a flyer should have two! Then again it might take away some of the extra thrill that goes into making you think that perhaps you just might fall flat on your face from 180+ feet above a hill

SpectralN, I don't want to come off too bluntly, but you're just extremely paranoid.

Those "pins" that lock the main harness into place are actually metal bolts that fasten and lock into deep "notches" into steel slabs in the side of your seat and gaurantees that the harness will not ever open up while the ride is in motion. It's very similar to the bolt and lock setup of the harnesses that were used on Knott's Berry Farm's HammerHead ride (removed in 2003).

Tatsu's harnesses do not "lock" like other typical roller coaster harnesses. The bolts that lock into the slots in either side of you in your seat stay there. The harness can't just "click" open in some freak accident. The bolts have no way of releasing when it's not in the station. Only once the train is parked in the station, the main computer sends a signal to the on-board one to retract the bolts. Otherwise, riders are locked in their seats.

The system is so fail safe that even the slightest hint that your harnesses isn't bolted into the side of your seat the ride's computer will not allow for dispatch.

In addition, like mentioned before, the vest restraint though there for creature comfort, is actually able to withstand much more weight than the average Tatsu rider, ensuring its durability and safeness.

Bolliger & Mabillard (designers of Tatsu) would not make and sell a product like their Flying coaster if they knew the safety of the rider was even compromised in any small way.

STOP TRIPPIN' - keep riding.

kraxleRIDAH,

your right I am extremely paranoid (as stated in first line of original post), although I still have gone on the ride over 30 times. I would like to really understand how this locking mechanism works, you did do a good job although I would like some more data on what makes that latching mechanism stay latched so as the pin does not pop out as when the ride returns to upright position at station.