TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Atlantis

I was browsing Wikipedia when I came across Six Flags Atlantis. It was a waterpark in Hollywood, Florida that was around in 1989. The park was damaged in 1992 and ultimately demolished in 1994. Has anyone ever been to this park? If so, what was it like?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Atlantis the water kingdom,

Six Flags Atlantis

Atlantis

(Not sure on the order, but it did operate under 3 names)

I grew up in Boca Raton Florida, and visited the park from its opening year until the year I moved to Daytona around 1988. I would usually visit this park about 4 - 10 times a year.

It was located in Hollywood Florida right alongside of I95 and near Grand Prix go cart tracks and family center.

I still remember that park very well, it was a cool park and actually pretty big. A lot bigger then say Wet N Wild in Orlando for comparison.

It had water channels that ran through the center of the most the walk ways so when the ground was really hot you could walk through water.

Opening year.

They had 3 body slides, 1 speed slide, 1 triple drop slide that in the early years had a right hand 180 degree turn at the end. “later it was made into a straight slide and the curve was removed”

I’m still not sure what the huge hill was supposed to be. It was behind the activity pool and next to the main slide tower. The hill was removed I want to say the next year, but it was supposed to be some sort of slides or something. The area ended up a mini golf course.

They had a wave pool, kiddy area that rocked, it really was the bomb. They also had 1 bridge that went out over the lake where you could get on bumper boats. This area would end up becoming the stage and water show area. They did have picnic areas and an area setup for concerts.

……

Fast forward…

The park added allot of slides, 3 more to the main tower on the right side, they where all inner tube slides and the black hole which didn’t last long as someone either died, or got very injured and the slide was torn down.

http://www.afn.org/~afn04050/level/atlantis/atlantis.html

That main photo on that site shows the black hole on the right side of the tower "its the one thats enclosed" and the 3 slides that where added later, that photo was actually after a few years of opening as the original tower had nothing on the right side in the early years.

They also had added a racing sled type slide, where you ride the board down the chute into the water channels. This slide was the best, they had a little beverage spot next to it and the old people used to sit around it so when you came down you could angle the board and soak them. I am still an a$$ to this day.

Around this time I remember Six Flags name being placed in the park, and they added loony tunes characters and flat rides. The Major rides they added where.

1 – Huss Enterprise

1 – Matter horn

1 – Pirate Ship

1 – Himalaya (Which I think I saw working a whole 1 or maybe 2 times)

Kiddy rides had.

1 – Mini Swing

1 – Red Baron

And a couple others but I cannot remember.

After Six Flags sold out, they removed the rides, and the company added a couple more slides.

I don’t really know too much after the 88 season, but it sucks Andrew killed that park, it really was a fun park and I can honestly say that was the park that built my interest in thrill rides, and parks.

That park was my first extreme ride “speed slide” and my first upside down ride “enterprise” Oh and my first e-stop..

One night a storm was rolling in, and we went for one more ride on the Enterprise, near the end of cycle the ride arm was still probably about 10-12 feet up and everything went pitch black, all you heard was people screaming and a loud burst of air coming from the master cylinder as the ride came down a little faster then normal.. That was so cool, man that thing takes a long time to stop under friction alone.

Thanks for the memories, and I hope this made sense. I’m at work kind of had to slap this together…

Cheers!

• 4 years later...

I was recalling a trip down to FL, sometime in the 80's, and was curious exactly what happened to Six Flags Atlantis. I did some searching around, and it as fun reliving that park through pictures!

http://lucas-photo.com/atlantis/photos1.php

I recall it being a fun park - their speed slide was something really new, and almost unthinkable to me, at the time! I guess that little sub is still around - can any locals confirm that it's still "just up the road"? Sad to think that it had to make way for KMart! Almost as sad as what is sitting on the former site of Riverview in Chicago!

Anyway, thanks for the detailed memories raptorcrew! I only went there once or twice, and I seem to recall it being a Six Flags park both times. I also recall the big show one of the nights being Gloria Estefan and The Miami Sound Machine! Get on your feet, indeed!

I thought someone posted a really great detailed report and photos of this park...anyone remember? or have time to search?

Here is some of Shane's stuff that I sent him......

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=40361&p=975048&hilit=Six+Flags+Atlantis#p975048

Here is a post in another thread I found......

Search on face book for "Remembering Six Flags Atlantis" and you will find hundreds of pictures, etc. Even some first years and when they also had the rides. sigh.

this too......

http://www.afn.org/~afn04050/level/atlantis/atlantis.html