TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Matterhorn Rehab

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Prior to everybody (currently) being "online", I remember visiting Los Angeles various years, various times of the year, too.

And I believe that out of several, if not many, visits to "The Park That Walt Built"... the *%@#&*~ Matterhorn ALWAYS was behind nicely painted 4x8 board fencing, going through yet another refurbishment, "for your future enjoyment"...

I WANT MY MATTERHORN, I used to cry in my thoughts. When, oh when would I ever get the chance and compare, remind myself and choose, which rails I enjoyed the best... or not, heh heh.

Last time I actually rode it, was in the mid-80s I believe. That's how long it had been since I got to the park when The Big M was 'open' there, available for the riding.

Both tracks. (sniff)

I think it's age of the ride itself, being as old as it is, hmm? It's a true coaster original, and Disney is trying to maintain it as best it can, under current coaster rail conditions, I guess.

Just my history with it, and an observe.

I heard from some random unreliable source way back in the day that they can't replace the support system and install more up to date tracks since they'd have to demolish the entire mountain and start from scratch. They obviously don't want to completely tear down the original Matterhorn and leave thousands of people going "Didn't the Matterhorn used to be in this park??" so they do the yearly rehabs just to keep it in one piece.

-Julie (who is *SO* glad that she got her Matterhorn credits two weeks ago!!)

The Matterhorn has a scheduled "rolling rehab" program that replaces small parts of the track and effects. Unfortunatly this means it goes down for several weeks every year. The alternative would be to shut the entire mountain down for a year or more every few years.

Remember how long Space Mountain was down for? I don't think I could go through that long of a dry period with the Matterhorn!

After nearly 700 coasters over the world the Matterhorn is still my favorite, and I don't care what you guys think!

Where else can you meet Harold, helix around a basketball court, and laugh at people in lederhosen! Also, you can get free hats just by riding! (Ask anyone whose ever ridden it with me )

Anyway, that's why it's "always down". And while it may have opened in 1959, the ride is far from old! Nearly everything gets replaced after a few years, it's probably one of the parks newest rides!

-Matterhorny Don

The Matterhorn has always been a great ride. But I'm not surprised by the rehab schedule, because when your going down the mountain, you get banged around quite a bit. I imagine that creates a bit more wear and tear on the ride, as compared to a smoother running attraction like Space Mountain.

^Dude!

I love the Matterhorn! It was my first "BIG BOY" rollercoaster. I still have very fond memories of a military nite back in 72 when I was there with my whole family. I was scared to death! Finaly at about 5:30 in tha morning my Aunt Lynda said, "I'm riding the Matterhorn. If you wanna go, nows the time. Don't make me tell your father you were a chicken s**t!"

So I went. I laughed, I screamed, I pissed the seat. And the enthusiast emerged like a phoenix from the ashes. A child was brought forth unto you a geek emerged, for all to see. And Walt's hands came down from heaven and placed themeth upon my trembling brow as I heard him orate, "Go fourth Guy and rid the world of the un-imagineative, and calous. Create weird and childish videos that make no sense whatsoever, but, are real F'ing cool. Especially ones that have puppets with big tits. Cause tits are awesome! Um... Uh... I mean challenge the creative mind and create your own ride experience where there is not." I cried as a baby does, when it is seperated from the breast that it suckles, as his hands slowly drifted away over Sleeping Beauty Castle. "Remember Guy. Rememberrrrrr..."

So... ... I got that going for me.

Yes Don Matterhorn is my favorite coaster of all times too!

Yes Guy Matterhorn was my first coaster too!! It is what started me down roller coaster road as well!!

I remember being hesitant going on it cuz of all the yelling from the yeti!! Little did I know it was probably Robb at the time! My bro said "I am going on it, you want to go too??" I hesitated for a bit and then he said "fine stay here I am going, wait for me here when I get back". As soon as he walked off I imediatly followed behind! The line was short that day and I didn't have to wait to long and get cold feet. Because I started to feel it the second I got in line! But boy was I ever glad I did. I screamed at him asking to go again and he agreed. We rode the other side this time. I was instantly hooked!! Then after that I wanted to go on Space Mountain and BTM badly!! Thank you Matterhorn for breaking my roller coaster virginity!! I will never forget that day!!!

Someone correct me if i'm wrong here but, I do believe they replaced the track tubing a few years ago.

Can you imagine what could have happened if they had cut back to far on those rehabs? The ride is 47 years old.

How many 47 year old steel coasters are there out there anyway?

Someone correct me if i'm wrong here but, I do believe they replaced the track tubing a few years ago.

Can you imagine what could have happened if they had cut back to far on those rehabs? The ride is 47 years old.

How many 47 year old steel coasters are there out there anyway?

Isn't the answer only 1? I thought Matterhorn was like one of the first steel coasters. Somebody help me (I'm not as much of a coaster history enthusiast, just enjoy riding.)

-James Dillaman

The Matterhorn opened about a month and a half before I was born, so maybe I should get a yearly rehab, too!

And, no, the Matterhorn was not the first steel coaster, but it was the first coaster to use tubular steel track. Just settin' the record straight.

Eric

Prior to 1959, if you asked for a steel coaster, you got this!

I believe it was also the first with computer controlled blocking, multiple trains on course at once, water braking, first to replicate itself withing an existing structure, as well as probably being the tallest/fastest/longest/steepest/smellyist steel coaster at the time.

And don't forget the free hats!

-Don