TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Wyandot Lake auction date set.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure I heard that the Zoo across the street was buying it, guess not.

Yeah, that's what I though too. Oh well. While it's always sad to lose a park, seriously, did any "enthusaists" really go to this place on a regular basis? It looked more like a "water park with a few rides...."

I can't even tell you how many times I passed right by this park without stopping. It was just always like "Meh, I don't need a kiddie woodie credit that bad...."

Hopefully if they had any decent slides they'll go to another good water park!

--Robb

I can't even tell you how many times I passed right by this park without stopping. It was just always like "Meh, I don't need a kiddie woodie credit that bad...."

You missed nothing. The Sea Dragon is anemically slow, and the bars hurt taller riders. The ride ops also lie about it being the oldest coaster in Ohio.

Wyandot was a great place to buy a Six Flags season pass though, very cheap.

I vote for the chainsaws!

Six Flags agreed in June to sell it to the Columbus Zoo for $2 million with the deal expected to close in October.

Maybe SF is selling the stuff that they're not selling to the zoo, such as the go-karts and non-permanent rides.

The Columbus Zoo does and has always owned the land the park sits on. They've said in the past they will keep the park open in some way.

That's really strange that they're selling all the stuff. Sea Dragon was nothing special, but it was a nice little kiddie coaster, better than the Scoobys. The waterpark was pretty decent too. Oh well.

I was glad I went this year while it was free with my SF pass. Now I'm just glad I went this year!

Yeah, that's what I though too. Oh well. While it's always sad to lose a park, seriously, did any "enthusaists" really go to this place on a regular basis? It looked more like a "water park with a few rides...."

--Robb

Yet a park with a dragon coaster is worth a stop?

I also thought that this park would be saved, but it was just a water park to me. However, it looked like a nice family attraction, so it's sad to see it close.

Yet a park with a dragon coaster is worth a stop?

What park are you talking about? Coney Beach? They had three credits there. Some full size ones too...not just a "kiddie coaster."

What was the point you were trying to make? I really have no idea. Since you didn't even explain yourself. But whatever...nice try!

--Robb

oh well another missed credit

And a credit is all that you missed. There's a lot better kiddie woodies out there, the Beastie (Fairly Odd Coaster) for example. I found the seats to be very uncomfortable, and the ride just creeps along.

Wyandot was pretty silly anyway. They charged you to park on a bunch of dusty rocks. It's not even a real parking lot. I don't understand why they're closing it down. It was pretty darn busy on the day that I went, busy enough to justify keeping the park open. Columbus is actually a pretty big city. Why not have a park?

--Robb

I agree not much going on there!

I wouldn't be surprised if they auction off the "dry rides" and the zoo expands the waterpark portion of Wyandot Lake. I remember seeing an article in a local business journal that they had set aside land for "expansion of the waterpark".

EDIT: They plan on some expansion, which includes getting rid of some attractions and buying new ones. http://www.dispatch.com/news-story.php?story=dispatch/2006/07/07/20060707-A1-01.html

I wouldn't be surprised if they auction off the "dry rides" and the zoo expands the waterpark portion of Wyandot Lake. I remember seeing an article in a local business journal that they had set aside land for "expansion of the waterpark".

That would make a lot of sense. The place was pretty darn crowded when I went. The waterpark looked like it was in dire need of an expansion.

EDIT: They plan on some expansion, which includes getting rid of some attractions and buying new ones. http://www.dispatch.com/news-story.php?story=dispatch/2006/07/07/20060707-A1-01.html

See? Everyone's overreacting. The coaster, ferris wheel, and waterpark are staying. This is understandable, as the zoo doesn't want to (mis)run the park the same way six flags did. Bravo Columbus zoo for also taking the necessary steps to do an expansion. Their zoo needs some more exhibits.

-James Dillaman

• 4 weeks later...

Norton's website has posted the ride list for sale.

The following dry rides are REMAINING:

Sea Dragon

Tilt-A-Whirl (Geauga Lake's old Tilter)

Scrambler

Bumper Cars

Their 1900's Marcus Illions Carousel will be auctioned. Some people might be surprised by this, but considering the Columbus Zoo has their own antique Carousel, I'm not. Some of the park's older water attractions are going, along with the wave pool. I'd expect a new, larger wave pool to go in, along with some new waterpark attractions plus a new dry ride or two.

The Zoo will now spend $15 million to overhaul the park, it will be closed in 2007, but reopen in 2008.