TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

"I'm gonna Die!"

In the words of Li'l Robby Robb, "MORGAN ALERT!"

I love you for saying that.

Anyhow, as for a "moment". I had a couple, not sure which qualifies and which dont.

1) At coney Island, Brroklyn, the first time I went on that looping ship ride. I was really small back then and the restraints were so big for me that every time the car would go past vertical id go up out of my seat. I freaked out and shouted for the ride op to stpo the ride, which, gladly, he did beofre I ever hit the ceiling.

2) Well, I wouldn't say -I- felt in any danger at the time, but just to illustrate a point - after riding Viper(RIP) at SFGADv twice in a row, before hte brake run on the 2nd lap, the ride was so intense, my fannypack(yes, i wore a fannypack) snapped right off! I had to catch it with my knees o.O Now that I think back at it I have no idea how that makes sense.

3) corkscrews on viper at SFMM and plain airtime on cyclone in coney island = ejector airtime. to this day im not sure if what stopped me were in fact the restraints or my dad, pushing me into my seat.

4) Going on NITRO, I sat at the front row, in a chair that had blue duct tape wrapped all over the restraint. I just figured if there was somehting wrong with it the ride op wil ltell me. so I sat, and sat, and sat, at some point it bugged me too much, so I asked a ride op about it and then he said something like "Oh, that seat's out of order, you have to wait for the next train..." o.o good thing I asked! that'll teach me never to trust a ride op.

5) Riding a Vekoma SLC, front row, in pouring rain. I didnt think something was gonna happen, but feeling those raindrops slam across your body as you're racing vertically into a loop is NOT like being licked by kittens.

6) This was at a local waterpark: I have a method I use to gain extra speed on waterslides, and it often works EXTREMELY well, sometimes too well(I managed to make a kiddie slide run so fast I was slammed from one slide wlal to another on each turn, splashing water up into the air, and making loud THUDs!) but that's not the case I'm talking about.

I once used it on a BIG slide. like, a RELALY big slide. a slalom one. Well, as I start going down it, I realize Im gaining so mcuh speed, I'm nearly flying off at every turn, or slamming into walls! I fraeked out so I tried sitting down, and it didn't help! I just kept flying down the slide, and whenever there was a dip I'd simply go FLYING! not out of the slide, thankfully, but it was nontheless scary.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Inverter. While I felt secure, I thought that my legs were going to fall off... it was so terribly painful. What an awful experience.

Also, Deja Vu scares the crap out of me every time I go on it. Especially when I was younger and smaller, though. Those harnesses simply do not fit smaller people well, and that first spike scared the crap out of me then. Now, it's not so bad, but it's still a little frightening.

What technique is that? Speed = good

On the GA cyclone my lapbar was about 2 (giant) clicks to high, and on the second drop, which is slightly twisting, I flew out and to the side, and i seriously was scared to death.

This topic seems very familiar.

I warn you though... with great power, comes great responsibility... you must be really careful when using htis method, especially on non-pipe slides.

you lie on your back, hands straight next to your body, and you raise your back/stomache up into the air.

for some reason this causes an incredible reduction in friction, or a repositioning of weight, which causes you to simply fly down the slide.

II especially urge you to be careful with it on tight-layout rides.

once I was on a slide that had an S-bend right after a turning drop. I used the method, went up one side of the wall, flew off it, and slammed rihgt into the other side of it. And I mean SLAMMED!

of course, the speed and airtime were too intoxicating so I did it over and over and over again. Because I'm smart.

The torrent at Schlitterbahn:

It's a big circular wave pool. There's a massive wave generator at the start which sucks in water for about 3-4minutes and then releases the insane amount of water all at once. When the life guards are busy day dreaming, everyone tries to hold onto the the side of the wave generator until it realeses the water. It'll shoot you about 200ft, if you jump right into the stream of water. When I first did it knocked the breath out of me, and I was pinned under water for about 5sec as it shot me down stream. Don't stand on the other end, or you'll get a big mob of people flying towards you. lol

I got kind of freaked out on Opa's lift when our car didn't catch properly after our first ride so they sent us around again, the car being able to spin the whole way. It rocked back and forth pretty violently on the lift, which was a little terrifying and that along with the ride ops who didn't seem to know what they were doing, made me think "maybe this ride doesn't spin the entire course for a reason!" After the lift, it was fine. A lot more fun than a regular ride where it just spins during the second half.

I got two 'OMG I'm gonna die moments'

1. I was on a top spin at Luna Park Tel Aviv Israel (I lived there for half a year becasue my dad had a sabbatical there) and on the first upside down spin it stopped and even though the restraints were tight as hell (ouch) my butt came off the seat and I was resting on the shoulder restraints, which hurt.

2. Wasn't really an 'I' moment, it was a 'them' moment. I was on a inverse bungee/ sling shot thing on the boardwalk in Eilat, Israel, and I made my sandals really tight before going on it but when it launched my straps came loose and I buckled my toes really tight so my sandal wouldn't come off and fall 250 feet and slam into someones head at 80 MPH (especially since my family was watching me right underneath the launch platform. The rest of th eride was very fun though.

1. My first ride on Millenium Force, front seat, hands up as we started the drop. It just kept getting steeper and steeper and I didn't expect to be launched out of my seat I had to quick grab on

2. My first Top Thrill Dragster ride. I seriously didn't think I could do it, and started freaking out while we were waiting there to launch. It's the most amazing adrenaline rush

3. Hellevator at SFKK. I was really nervous about riding because I was afraid I was gonna have a heart attack or something like how people have been dying a lot on rides lately. But I survived!

Yay, I have a "OMG I'M GONNA DIE" moment.

It was about a month ago, a simple trip to Cedar Point. Since I've now done the sweet 16, it was time to conqure my only fear in that park: the giant S&S tower known as Power Tower. As much as I love coasters, I've always have had a fear of elevators and straight-drops-that's-not-a-roller-coaster-hill. So, naturally, Power Tower had no appeal to me.

However, after talking to some people online telling me I should do it and having the two people I was with practically drag me into line, I was convinced I could ride it and have a great time.

We decided to do the Drop side instead of the Shot, even though the line was longer. The drop seemed like it would be... better? more terrifying? Who knows. Sitting in the seat and getting all restraint-ed up was a chore. My hands were shaking, something that hasen't happened on a coaster or thrill ride in YEARS.

It was when the car starting ascending that I started to panic. Since we were on the side that pointed to the front of the park, we had a perfectly clear and unique view of the park. And that calmed my nerves - until the car hit the top, made a loud noise, and stopped.

The panic came back again, this time stronger than ever. It took a few seconds to realize that there was only ONE way I was getting down from up here, a freefall drop to the ground below. I pondered this for a few more seconds, trying to soak up the views before the inevitable happened.

I can still clearly remember those few seconds. A "PSSSSH" was heard, the car dropped, my body hit the restraint, I thought I was going to die and it felt like fireworks were going off in my mind, all within a fraction of a second. Another second and it was smooth falling, and since the fear was gone, I couldn't do anything but laugh.

The car stopped at the bottom, grins all around my friends. We've conqured Power Tower and loved it! Was the "I'm gonna die" moment worth it? You better believe it!

-nesdude

mine has also like that i'm gonna die moment!

well.....then i was on standin' loop ride in yomiuri and when

goin' up thru a loop i felt i was goin' thru under the lift hill

and that was real close..... if i put the hands up i would be

gonna chop the arms and the head! i then shouted 'i'm gonna

die!' just the standin' one was kinda suckin' for mine in the

end! sittin' one was real great though.

on a scale of 0 to 5, feelin' good on standin' would be 0/5 or none.

on a scale of 0 to 5, feelin' good on sittin' one would be 3/5!

I havent had a real one...but there was one....but here are the closest things to thinking I'm going to die.

Goliath's Helix of death, pain and miserey- That really hurt.....

Ghostrider this year (2nd time ever on it)- We leave the station. BANG BANG BANG smashing against the sides........ on the lift we're like NNNNNNOOOOO. It's all suffering from then on, my friend.

Most unpleasent expierence of my life would have to be me riding Deja Vu once. We were going up the first spike and my restraint opened. Let me tell you, hanging on for dear life about 150 feet in the air with only a seat belt to keep you from falling to your death is not fun. My friend's brother reached over and pretty much slammed the restraint back onto me (he's a Marine). God, I will never forget that.

---Brent

Holy cheesepuffs!!

If that happened to me, I'd never ride a coaster again. Deja Vu is freaky enough when the restraints ARE working!!

Anyway, these are the closest I've ever been to fearing for my life or health on a ride:

First time on Boomerang at KBF. The restraints are very loose, even when locked, so when we started going up backwards, my restraints went forward a whole lot, and I thought it had been unlocked. I suddenly half-panicked in my mind, then immediately checked to make sure it was still locked. Luckily, it was.

I was on one of these things (I don't know what it's called):http://www.congahead.com/My_Family/sf04_fam/image/5a0v2572.jpg

in New York, and the restraints, just like Boomerang above, were very loose. Even worse, they didn't go down to your lap. So when they held us upside-down for 5 seconds, I was off my seat and my shoulders were digging into the restraints. I hated that ride. The other one of those rides (the one at Santa Cruz) that I rode is much better.

Finally, I've only ridden GhostRider once, and when I did, it was hot, I was hungry and tired, and it was a full train of people, many of which were large enough to add some weight to the train. We go down the first little dip and turn into the lift hill, and it feels like I'm on an out-of-control massage chair. I look at my brother and go "OHHHHH JEEEZ", and I think I knew what was to come: the most painful coaster experience of my life. That one time I rode it, it was jackhammering like a worker at a construction site, shuffling like a deck of cards, and vibrating like an unbalanced washing machine. It almost felt as if my brain was hitting the sides of my skull. I came off with a HUGE headache.

But otherwise, nothin' too bad!

I didnt understand that at all..

I did...basically, he's referring to headchoppers and how he felt like he was gonna get chopped going through the loop on a standup in Japan.

Anyway, mine would have to be when I rode my first true "Big" coaster, Grizzly...not that I really care for that ride now...but anyway, I got bribed into riding it. (Threatened that we'd leave PGA if I didn't ride). I was freaked out mainly because it was made out of wood and not steel. I was thinking that it could easily topple over due to the many splits in the wood. After riding, I realized it was nothing...just a shaky slow coaster.

My other one would be my first ride on the Giant Dipper. It was more like waiting in line than actually on the ride. I was nervous in line to the point that I was shaking and became even more nervous as I got seated and dropped into the "Black hole" tunnel. After that ride, that did it for me on roller coasters....I suddenly became addicted and as soon as I got off the ride, I didn't even answer my parents when they asked me how it was...I ran back in line for 5 more rides or so...then the park was closing.

Last one was riding Drop Zone at PGA. Many have heard the story but I'll tell it anyway..Many know that a kid fell off of the ride and anyway, I was there the night before with a group of 3 other friends. After a 25 minute wait in line we got on. The ride op never checked our OTSR's and they were seconds from dispatching the rides. My friend was joking around and said "Hey, what would you do if suddenly your harnesses released and while the ride lifted up?" and made the motions of pulling up the restraint. It actually came up and we also found that ours were also somehow released. We yelled for the ride op and told him that we weren't secured or even checked...all we got was a "Sorry 'bout that" That could have been a more of a "We were actually gonna die" instead of feeling like we're gonna die. Ever since, I've always felt uneasy about Intamin drop towers...but had no worries on the S&S towers.

Turns out that we were in the same car as the kid when he came out. I'm not exactly sure how he actually got out but many say he tried to squirm his way out. Personally, to this day, I still think it had something to do with the car it's self.

I got two 'OMG I'm gonna die moments'

1. I was on a top spin at Luna Park Tel Aviv Israel (I lived there for half a year becasue my dad had a sabbatical there) and on the first upside down spin it stopped and even though the restraints were tight as hell (ouch) my butt came off the seat and I was resting on the shoulder restraints, which hurt.

2. Wasn't really an 'I' moment, it was a 'them' moment. I was on a inverse bungee/ sling shot thing on the boardwalk in Eilat, Israel, and I made my sandals really tight before going on it but when it launched my straps came loose and I buckled my toes really tight so my sandal wouldn't come off and fall 250 feet and slam into someones head at 80 MPH (especially since my family was watching me right underneath the launch platform. The rest of th eride was very fun though.

So I'm not the only one here who's been there! =D

I'm Israeli.

ew on 4/20 I went to PGA not knowing what day it was and so all the rides were in crappy condition and people everywhere were getting into riots and fights and smokeing pot. Still not my experiance. It was on the crappy ship of death. I was locked in and then it broke and they couldnt start or get the restraints up and had to do it manualy. I push up to see how much longer it is till they get to me. The restraint closes on my lungs and I coudnt breath. The people next to me yelled for the guy when they saw that I was in pain and I got out. I guess thats a reason why I hate that ride. It also sucks.

A few weeks ago at Adventureland, we had a group of six. Two of us had never been to Adventureland before, so we decided to take them on Sawmill Splash.

http://www.coastercommunity.com/component/option,com_gallery2/Itemid,76/?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=6023

We waited about twenty minutes, the longest wait of the day, as usual. During this wait, I told the others that you don't really get wet on the ride unless you have strange weight distribution in the tub (which is true), but just to be safe, I told them we should ride three and three, instead of six in one. Twenty minutes later, all six of us end up piling into the tub. The right operator said "lean back at the top, you'll spin faster," but we all heard "lean right." So we got to the top and we all leaned right. We didn't spin at all, but we did "swing" back and forth on the slide. Enough to push several inches of the tub off the side of the slide. We survived, of course, and we got tremendous airtime off of that double-drop. And of course, since no one would listen to me, we all got completely soaked.

The End.

Tomahawk - Frontier City -- I was the only one on the ride and the ride op didn't check my restraint. The ride started to go without problem, then when we got to the top (upside down) my harness became COMPLETELY unlatched. The only reason why I didn't die diving head first on to metal was because a seatbelt kept the harness back. I tried to poke my body out of one side of the harness to see if it is possible to fall out, so then-believe it or not- the harness became locked with my head still outside of the harness. For the rest of the ride I was in pain.

White Water - Kansas State Fair -- After the big drop on this log flume, there is a turn. Most of the logs still had speed when they made the turns, which made the logs tip over. I realized that once the ride had started. The first drop, we had no problem. Then the second, the car tipped, but we pushed against the side. Several people got hurt because of this.

Tomahawk - Frontier City -- I was the only one on the ride and the ride op didn't check my restraint. The ride started to go without problem, then when we got to the top (upside down) my harness became COMPLETELY unlatched. The only reason why I didn't die diving head first on to metal was because a seatbelt kept the harness back. I tried to poke my body out of one side of the harness to see if it is possible to fall out, so then-believe it or not- the harness became locked with my head still outside of the harness. For the rest of the ride I was in pain.

Oh, that's smart. your restraint is loose, so what do you do? Squirm out of it.

trust me, this wouldn't have been the ride's fault should something have ahppened.