TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

"I'm gonna Die!"

The X-Scream topic got me thinking.

Have you ever really thought you were gonna die on a ride? I mean really had a life flash before you moment.

I personally have. I rode Vertigo at KBF and Thrill shot an SFMM for the first time in the same week, Vertigo first.

When I went on Vertigo my restraint was tight, I loved the ride.

Well when I went on Thrill shot my restraint was loose, so when the ride hit the top I got the airtime from hades.

I actually started to reach back for something grab on to, I was looking straight down at the ground thinking I'm gonna die! I'll never forget that ride. So much FUN!

How about you guys?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope never had such a moment before. I used to be really scared, but not 'I'm gonna die'-scared.

Before I rode Stunt Fall, I thought the ride would definately freak me out. When I was on it I loved it and rode it immediately with hands up (actually hands down on the first lift )

*sigh* I love rollercoasters....

I have had one of those moments, it was on the Ranger, a Huss ranger ride at Luna Park Sydney. The lap bar restraint was so loose that when I was stuck upside down, my head was literally supporting my body, and you could feel the gap inbetween my but and the seat. I was shitting myself really. And fudge my neck hurt after that experience.

I was pretty worried for my health during that ride I can tell you now, but even so, it was still a fun ride.

A picture gallery for the ride can be seen here: http://www.thrillhistory.com/gallery.php?act=view&galid=45

i once had such a experiance on moneky falls at ratanga junction. (the hevily themed flume?) and obviously it doesnt have any restraints and when i got to the second drop (see picture) i thought i wass gonna fly out on the hill...

mfalls2.jpg.12d7c327b523d24bd5df58fa4c395b88.jpg

lots of pos g's and airtime there...

I think it happened to me as I was approching Cedar Poin, when you pass on that bridge where you can see the whole skyline with MF in the front and TTD in the middle.

In that moment I rwalized how TALL those coasters really were! That was pretty impressive and scary!

This is stupid but the first time I saw SOB I thought that a drop so big would have killed me but after I rode it I found out that it was the only part of the ride I had enjoyed.

I thought I almost died on Double Shot @ Wild Advenuteres. I guess I was to little for the restraints (which is hard to believe), but whne it shot off and reached the top, my restraint didn't really stop me and I keep going for a few inches (higher than everyone else), and I really thought I was going to die

I also thought I was going to die on a Zipper in the GA National Fair. Those rides scare the crap out of me!

About ten years ago, my daughter and i rode a Roll-o-Plane at a carnival.

It had rained off and on the whole weekend and the ground got unstable.

while we were riding it, it started to pitch right and left as it was spinning. It was the only time i can think of that i felt i was going to die on a ride.

and no, they didn't shut it down afterward.

SOB - It started to pour down rain as we were going up the lift hill last year....BEFORE it was retracked. Then as we went down the drop, it felt like I was getting shot with paintballs and THEN my lap bar clicked down a knotch! And then it was torture the whole way.

Big Thunder Mountain RR - hey you never know!!!

-James

Georgia Cyclone, of all coasters at sfog.

Many many years back I think on the second drop I found myself going right out of the train, almost like standing up, and my friend grabed my arm and pulled me back down, it was funked up. I have no idea how, my lap bar had to come up.

(That was about the first time I can say I have ever held on for the rest of the ride)

Ohhhh cannot forget.. Space Shot. Having worked an S&S shot tower @ CP for a week "boring, well other then the jiggly test and ac in controls, hehe ", IT REALLY! freaked me out with the whole, the harness doesn't lock until cycle, that is screwed up, and I was really thinking worse case here! Sadly that ended up being the most intense part of the ride.

Other then that I haven't had any other possible bad outcomes, TONS of all my god is this ever going to end while in complete pain, yes.

Cheers!

Never a real "I'm going to die" moment, but I've had several experiences on Mamba's lift hill that initially feel like a wheel coming loose.

In the words of Li'l Robby Robb, "MORGAN ALERT!"

EDIT: Oh my goodness, me. I've forgotten the classic "first airtime" excuse!

High Roller ten years ago. It was my first pre-48" "big" coaster, so I was really nervous. Now you must remember that this was eight years before they added those murderous trim brakes to the turnaround, so we were bombarded with airtime. I was completely convinced that the train was about to fly off the tracks every time.

Most unpleasent expierence of my life would have to be me riding Deja Vu once. We were going up the first spike and my restraint opened. Let me tell you, hanging on for dear life about 150 feet in the air with only a seat belt to keep you from falling to your death is not fun. My friend's brother reached over and pretty much slammed the restraint back onto me (he's a Marine). God, I will never forget that.

---Brent

This may sound silly, but when Big Bad Wolf at BGE first opened my fam and I made the trek down to VA to go ride it, and after the 2nd drop when the cars are flying side to side at high speeds before you hit the station (I was a young kid at the time), I remember thinking "We are going way to fast and swinging way too far out, something is wrong." I got really scared and sort of freaked. Granted, I had never been on a suspended coaster like that so I didn't know that's what it's supposed to do to you. I got over it and went on it a bunch more times... I love that ride.

Most unpleasent expierence of my life would have to be me riding Deja Vu once. We were going up the first spike and my restraint opened. Let me tell you, hanging on for dear life about 150 feet in the air with only a seat belt to keep you from falling to your death is not fun. My friend's brother reached over and pretty much slammed the restraint back onto me (he's a Marine). God, I will never forget that.

---Brent

I have heard of this happening to friends of mine on other coasters (like the Hulk) where their restraint has come undone after the train leaves the station. This really freaks me out. Don't the ride ops know that all the harnesses aren't locked? How is this able to happen?

I was at King's Island in '01 and as the train went up the second lift hill and lost momentum, I fell forward on the restraint. The restraint popped all the way open until the seatbelt caught it. I went all the way up the lift hill and down the drop hanging on to the OTSR and depending on that little seatbelt. As I the train when into the loop, I scooted back into the seat and the harness locked back in. Easily one of the most frightening moments in my life.

If it were up to me, almost every coaster would have a secondary seatbelt restraint. To this day, I tend to get uncomfortable on rides that don't have them.

I have heard of this happening to friends of mine on other coasters (like the Hulk) where their restraint has come undone after the train leaves the station. This really freaks me out. Don't the ride ops know that all the harnesses aren't locked? How is this able to happen?

Because they are locked when the train is dispatched. Mine was locked when the ride started. For whatever reason, the something possibly broke or malfunctioned and the harness opened.

My worst experience was on mamba, when I was in the front seat and they e-stopped it while i was looking down at the ground, and a restraint was loose on the last car My next bad experience was when the lapbar wouldn't close on the joyland rollercoaster, adn the ride op said, oh well, have fun. I couldn't tighten my seatbelt because it was BROKEN. I did get lots of airtime like the people who rode it before seatbelts and clicking lapbars

For a split second on the TTD rollback........then I was like oh yea, this is awesome!

Sling Shot at PKI - your held by 2 wires launching at 90 mph 330ft in the air!

Xtreme Skyflyer at PKI - your in a straight jacked held by a wire at 200ft in the air, then DROP! I nearly sh*t myself but it was freaking awesome!!!

on my last visit to dollywood, the park was closing so my friend and i ran to thunderhead for one last front roll ride(we've had already had about 13 other rides on it that day).well for our last ride we got the seatbelt really loose and the clicked the lap bar down only a few clicks(basically enough for it to barely work).well the ride op didnt notice!so off we went out of the station, and just as we were going down the first drop, *click*.scared the shit out of me, but easily the best ride ever.the airtime was insane.felt like i hardly ever touched the seat.

I have on the Terminator..I rode it at a fair years and years ago..It made a weird noise and stopped right at the top..Then the ride op yelled up to us and said he had to pull some mechanical release or something..We were upside down for about 30 minutes..Metal bar crushing your bladder and slowly slipping out isnt fun when your 9 years old They havent had the ride there since..

I was on Revoulition at PGA with a bunch of friends and while it was hanging upside down there was a loud pop and the entire row of lap bars popped up just enough to scare the crap out of all of us, it was probably only and inch or so but whan hanging upside down that was enough to be a bit frightning