TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Official NoLimits/NL2 Help Thread

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no idea why. I followed tutorials and exactly copied everything from the videos. I tried 9 times before giving up and turning to the forums for help.

Basically, no matter what i try, the lift hill chain stops before reaching the top. This also happens on the coasters I made full circuit.

Added a printscreen so maybe someone who knows what they are doing can see what I do wrong. It makes me crazy not being able to make a coaster that works at all.

help.thumb.jpg.fcc0d63cc54c5ec77da735f053de5eef.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know if there is a script yet or a switch that allows for vertical lift systems like seen on thirteen at Alton Towers?

Thanks

It's not possible at the moment, but the devs are hoping to put it in the game with a future update.

Another question. I've searched for an answer and have not turned up Any results. For scripting a coaster, is there a list somewhere for the scripts and their respective actions?

There is a list of commands and queries in the Scripting API section of the help files.

• 3 weeks later...

Quick NL2 question. I have been following several NL2 projects, and I have noticed the use of water dummies in several of the rides. Any idea how to go about getting these? I know its a script thing, and I am not very familiar with the scripting... Hoping someone can point me in the right direction! Thank you!

^You would first need a 3ds model of a water dummy. Then it's as simple as combining the object and a script to make it follow the train. If you can find an existing coaster with such a script, all you have to do is change the parameters to make sure the dummy is in the correct position.

And the script will not just limit you to dummies, you can create new trains (wingriders etc), LED-covered trains, flamethrower. Basically whatever you can image.

• 2 weeks later...

Two questions:

1. When filming in NL2, the quality translates horrendously. Is there any way to film in high quality that doesn't turn out to look awful when you play it back? I've heard of using other "screen recorders"; does anyone have any recommendations?

2. I've created logos for the rides, and is there a way to place them onto the zero car? I know HOW to do it, but are there size specifications or requirements that I need to be aware of?

Thank you!

NoLimits 2 "standard" licenses are limited to a certain video quality (360 pixels max height I believe). You have to get a pro license to record high-resolution.

As for the logo thing, you can just use car textures like in NoLimits 1. Though, not all of the new texture maps are available as templates, but apparently the development team is working on that.

^^ As AJ said, in the standard license you can't get that high a quality. The best way I've found to get around it is to play NL2 in a high resolution then use Fraps. Though the problem with that is Fraps exports to .avi files which absolutely eats hard drive space if you run NL2 at a high resolution (a 1,5 minute video for me took up 15gb of space) and it occasionally skips frames/stutters.

^ & ^^ Thanks guys. I do have the professional version, and I know what you mean about taking up huge file sizes, but even when I record in higher definitions, the quality in the end still comes out looking like, well, crap. I may consider doing Fraps as recommended. Maybe that would be smarter than recording with just NL2..

I haven't got the professional edition, so I don't know what it's like, (I'm doing this next section from memory, since I'm not at home so I don't have NL2 in front of me) but in the video export section of the settings isn't there an option to set the file extension and resolution that the video will be in?

^ & ^^ Thanks guys. I do have the professional version, and I know what you mean about taking up huge file sizes, but even when I record in higher definitions, the quality in the end still comes out looking like, well, crap. I may consider doing Fraps as recommended. Maybe that would be smarter than recording with just NL2..

Hi Griffon,

Obviously that's not normal. The video output from NL2 should be film-quality. So let's try to nail down what's happening on our PC. What exactly is the problem with the output? i.e. Low resolution, artifacts, choppy, etc..? This might help us nail down what the problem is.

Also what settings and video format are you using? We recommend using an HD preset that is equal to or lower than your display's resolution and selecting MOV PNG as the format. AVI RAW technically is higher quality, but MOV PNG will produces a significantly smaller file and still at very high quality. It requires QuickTime be installed.

You should leave frame-rate and interlacing alone unless you know what you're doing and have specific requirements for your project.

Finally, enable motion-blur. A setting of 6-8 samples at a medium exposure time renders a very nice effect.

The video quality of your results should be similar to the following examples...

FRAPS (or other external capture) remains an option. We use FRAPS when capturing video of the Editor. But in the Simulator there are many advantages to using the built-in renderer. First of all, motion blur, which you get with the Pro version. Also, the built-in renderer works irrespective of frame rate. So you can load up on coasters and scene objects and still render out 30 frames per second.

Two questions:

2. I've created logos for the rides, and is there a way to place them onto the zero car? I know HOW to do it, but are there size specifications or requirements that I need to be aware of?

Thank you!

Regarding #2 here, no there are no size restrictions per se. Though you may, strictly for memory reasons, want to limit your textures to 4096x4096 or lower. Most of the revised textures in NL2 are 1024x1024 and give plenty of resolution for most parts on the train.

Hi Griffon,

Obviously that's not normal. The video output from NL2 should be film-quality. So let's try to nail down what's happening on our PC. What exactly is the problem with the output? i.e. Low resolution, artifacts, choppy, etc..? This might help us nail down what the problem is.

Also what settings and video format are you using? We recommend using an HD preset that is equal to or lower than your display's resolution and selecting MOV PNG as the format. AVI RAW technically is higher quality, but MOV PNG will produces a significantly smaller file and still at very high quality. It requires QuickTime be installed.

You should leave frame-rate and interlacing alone unless you know what you're doing and have specific requirements for your project.

Finally, enable motion-blur. A setting of 6-8 samples at a medium exposure time renders a very nice effect.

This is what it comes out looking like; low resolution, very gritty looking, and not at all appealing. I do know that the files I'm getting are MOV PNG files, but since I'm away at school I won't be able to go into the game until May 8th when I return home. However, I will be sure to look at all of the aspects you have mentioned and comment on the results! Thank you very much for the help Phyter.

NL2 question:

I'm going to take a Java Programming class at college in order to be able to do custom scripts. One of the things I want to do is to be able to make new trains that seat the riders in new positions, as well as making different track. Would it be possible to do the following, as I assume this would be how to pull it off:

1: Make the cars of an existing coaster invisible.

2A: Make custom scripted cars to follow the existing cars.

2B: Animate the train so that the restraints open and close when entering and exiting the station.

2C: Somehow make sure that the accelerometers can register the correct data from the new seating positions.

3: Make a custom scripted track profile to follow track that I checked off as invisible.

I figured that 1 - 2B can be done, but can 2C and 3 be done with the current program?

NL2 question:

I'm going to take a Java Programming class at college in order to be able to do custom scripts. One of the things I want to do is to be able to make new trains that seat the riders in new positions, as well as making different track. Would it be possible to do the following, as I assume this would be how to pull it off:

1: Make the cars of an existing coaster invisible.

2A: Make custom scripted cars to follow the existing cars.

2B: Animate the train so that the restraints open and close when entering and exiting the station.

2C: Somehow make sure that the accelerometers can register the correct data from the new seating positions.

3: Make a custom scripted track profile to follow track that I checked off as invisible.

I figured that 1 - 2B can be done, but can 2C and 3 be done with the current program?

1 and 2A can sort of be done. You can't make the cars on their own invisble per se (unless hey add this feature in a future update), but you can leave the coaster as a wireframe and then choose the option "hide wireframe". It would make the coaster invisible, but still allow you to script your new car models to the "invisible" cars

2B can be done.

2C and 3, to my knowledge can't be done.

This is what it comes out looking like; low resolution, very gritty looking, and not at all appealing. I do know that the files I'm getting are MOV PNG files, but since I'm away at school I won't be able to go into the game until May 8th when I return home. However, I will be sure to look at all of the aspects you have mentioned and comment on the results! Thank you very much for the help Phyter.

Thank you for posting the sample but if you could, please also post your settings. Based on the sample alone it simply looks as though you have your resolution set low. There are two resolution settings; the game resolution and the video capture resolution. The video capture resolution setting is set on the Settings -> Video Export tab on the home screen. Select a preset or choose Custom to set your own and see if that solves the problem.