TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Official NoLimits/NL2 Help Thread

Thanks Lareson, huge help!

I'm working on launch coasters finally, 2 questions:

1. How do you get the train to come to a stop, then launch?

And the real biggie

2. Can you make a backwards launch?

I've made a shuttle type coaster that I want to launch out of the station backwards. I checked the "Reverse Cable Lift Start" assuming it would leave the station backwards, but instead of a lift it'd launch (by putting the speed at a good number). Instead it just leaves the station forwards.

EDIT: OK so I made a small lift segment, with a high speed and a transport section behind it, accelerating further. It works how I expected but comes to a dead halt, I think when it hits the lift segment again. Though it shouldn't?

So is it even possible to do a backwards launch?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Full stop: In a brake segment, there is a 'complete stop' option. Use that, then if you want, choose not to make it a block. Remember to check the "launch" and edit the g's. The transport part should not be set to your launch speed, but rather the speed you want before the train stops.

As far as I know, there's no real successful way to make a backward launch except following a forward launch....keep experimenting and hopefully find something!

Yeah, but here's my question - are you able to only put a roll angle in as a parameter, and not roll change? For me, dealing with roll rates is really hard to wrap my head around because I don't completely understand the mathematics, and I would rather it behave like Newton where I can put in roll, time, and transition for every subsection.

Edited by A.J.

^Nope. you just have to mess with times to get roll to be precise.

I think FVD is for people who don't like the transition options in Newton, because basically you are creating the transitions rather than actual roll. You are just warping the first derivative of the roll instead of the roll itself. I personally found that the transition options in Newton are not very realistic relative to coasters already in existence. For instance, in Newton you cannot create a barrell roll ala Hydra where the "roll rate" does not change in the middle of the element, you can only use a transition where the roll rate increases to the middle of the element, then decreases after that. Hard to explain...

The only problem I have with FVD is that it is just not as developed as Newton. Newton is much more user friendly as a program, but FVD is more powerful with track design. The option of making track geometrically is really helpful as well, and I really like that you can visualize the forces in FVD better than Newton. In Newton, the force comb only protrudes so high from the track, but FVD is color coated so it doesn't really matter. It's easier to visualize, in my opinion.

So you're saying that it's not user-friendly for those who couldn't care less about the mathematics, like myself.

That's too bad. I'll still try and learn how to use it anyway because I can run it native on my Mac.

Help, anyone know whats going on?

This happens ONLY on B&M brake segments, and no other track segments/types.

I have the latest (2012) iMac, it just started happening recently. I have rebooted, but it didn't change anything.

OddOne-Jakizle-t-130316205422000.thumb.jpg.30411380190388c831bb64eeb183fbac.jpg

These things happen on all B&M brake sections

OddOne-Jakizle-t-130316205507003.thumb.jpg.d39c9031eb964c73283fe969709024e8.jpg

Inside view

OddOne-Jakizle-t-130317174244000.thumb.jpg.1bd81567cce0a7949d918c1ed5935d32.jpg

Also this happened while I was taking the screenshots, nowhere near a break section

I've had that happen to me too for almost 6 or 7 months now.I also use a Mac computer (slightly older version) and those marks show up for me all over the simulator. I also have rails vanishing and complete walls of color. I have no idea what it is and I don't know how to stop it, sorry.

^ I helped him earlier today off TPR and come to find out, the screenshots aren't saved in the normal screenshot location in the NoLimits folder in Program Files. For some reason, don't know if it's a Windows 8 thing or not, NoLimits stores the screenshots in a completely different location, actually not even visible under normal circumstances. If you have upgraded or purchased a computer with Windows 8 and also wondering the same question, here's the steps to get to the location:

- On your keyboard, press Windows key and R to pull up the "Run" window.

- Type in "appdata" without the quotation marks and hit enter

- Go to Local -> VirtualStore -> Program Files (x86) and in there should be your NoLimits folder

I have no idea why it's creating the directory in there for saved files such as screenshots and tracks. All of them should be there and hopefully that helps for those wondering where the heck did they go!

• 1 month later...

^ The same thing happens in Windows 7. Windows now doesn't let programs store files in the Program Files directory tree (besides when initially installed) normally. If you run the program as Administrator it should be able to save to that location fine. But the annoying thing is that the files you saved when not admin won't show up unless you go and find them in the virtual store and move them into the Program Files directory tree manually. But once you do that and always run the program as administrator all the save files should stay there.

It's also worth noting that when un-packaging track packs and stuff that it might put them in the virtual store. Yeah it's kind of a mess.

• 1 month later...

There's probably some extremely simple way of doing this, but I can't find a way to pan the editor screen without using the scroll bars on the latest mac version? I remember in the windows version you could drag the view, but just getting a new mac, I am lost...

There's probably some extremely simple way of doing this, but I can't find a way to pan the editor screen without using the scroll bars on the latest mac version? I remember in the windows version you could drag the view, but just getting a new mac, I am lost...

If you have a trackpad with the two finger right click turned on (you can change it in System Preferences --> Trackpad --> Point and Click --> Secondary Click), then you can just click with two fingers and drag. If you have one of the corners activated for right click, then you hold down that corner with one finger and drag with another. If you're using the Magic Mouse, click and hold with two fingers, then move the mouse.

If you have a trackpad with the two finger right click turned on (you can change it in System Preferences --> Trackpad --> Point and Click --> Secondary Click), then you can just click with two fingers and drag. If you have one of the corners activated for right click, then you hold down that corner with one finger and drag with another. If you're using the Magic Mouse, click and hold with two fingers, then move the mouse.

Figured it out finally! Except I had to reinstall mountain lion as none of the gestures would work( even though I turned them on). Thanks!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There is no "average" time.

You shouldn't expect to dive straight into NoLimits like you can the RollerCoaster Tycoon series. you're going to be spending a decent chunk of time learning how the editor and simulator work before you actually get to designing something legitimate like White Lightning or Dæmonen.

Yes, you'll be spending days or even months on a coaster in NoLimits. It's not just about completing a circuit and being happy with the layout, it's about making it work, making it smooth, making sure it's not too forceful...lots of things. Not to mention making supports look good takes FOREVER.