TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Bans Holding Cell Phones When Driving

I did a search on this and didn't see a posting. Here's the story, check it out. I'd say it's overdue, but better late than ever. You can read the entire story below:

OAKLAND, California (Reuters) - California on Friday banned motorists from talking on cell phones unless they use a headset or speakerphone, although the law will not take effect until July 1, 2008, to allow time to educate the public.

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, who signed the measure, urged Californians not to wait until then to put down their phones while driving, citing government data showing those who held their phones while driving were involved in 15 times more accidents than those with hands-free setups.

"The simple fact is that it is really dangerous to talk on a cell phone and drive at the same time," Schwarzenegger said. "It's very important for people to know ... stop using the cell phone right now, because you are putting people at risk."

Schwarzenegger joked he told his teenage daughter he would take her car away for years if he caught her talking on the phone while driving. "I said I will be driving behind you sometimes and you will not know. I will be spying," he said.

Violators will be fined $20 the first time they are caught and $50 the second time. The new law makes exemptions for those placing emergency calls while driving.

Several other states, including New York, New Jersey and Connecticut, have similar bans. California, with 37 million people, is the most populous U.S. state.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is the inaccuracy in that statement.... it doesn't matter if you use handsfree or not, mostly, it's the conversation itself that is the distraction.

Therefore we should not drive with people in the car, or with a radio.

If you have people in the car with you, you must have a limozine like separation.

OMG! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!!!!!

I cannot tell you how many times each day I see a "near miss" on my commute by some idiot not paying attention while they are on the phone.

I know for me personally, I've used a hands free headset for years. I totally feel like if I have to hold the phone, it's harder for me to concentrate.

--Robb "This is a good thing!" Alvey

The problem is the inaccuracy in that statement.... it doesn't matter if you use handsfree or not, mostly, it's the conversation itself that is the distraction.

Therefore we should not drive with people in the car, or with a radio.

If you have people in the car with you, you must have a limozine like separation.

You've apparently missed the point. Generally, when there are people in the car with you, they are also aware of the road conditions/traffic/etc. They know enough about their and your surroundings to tell whether or not it's safe to converse, and also, they're another set of eyes on the road. However, the person on the other end of your handsfree set doesn't know about the bike coming up behind you or the guy who swerved into your lane right ahead of you. They will therefore keep on talking distracting you from your driving. If a person in the car with you also sees the guy swerve into you lane, they will likely shut up while you compose yourself.

$20 to $50 dollar fine is nothing to some people. It would deterr most people, but really rich folks aren't going to care. By the time they are done getting the ticket, they've made more than $20 in interest on their various accounts.

Haha, I could never take Ahnold seriously. When I read that quote, I just could hear him:, "I will be spa-ing on you. I'm going panch you in the face if you do it, stupid"

It is a good idea though, maybe it will stop people from going 90 mph, weaving between lanes, doing makeup, eating and talking on the cell phone (which I've seen a few times in Atlanta-it was amazing that their car didn't explode out of sheer amazement).

I think this is really stupid.

Until they ban blackberry's, eating, putting on makeup, shaving, text messaging, reading, etc. this is pointless! If anything this will make me pay less attention as I'll have to find my headset, find the phone, dial stuff, whatever! I'll probably just text message more now which is way more difficult than just talking on the phone!

As for the effectiveness of the few states that have done this, I remember seeing an article that basically said it really had no effect on accidents.

They have this ban in Chicago. I think they ticketed a couple thousand people in the first few days of the ordinance and then stopped enforcing it. Now it's back to business as usual because all the drivers know Chicago PD isn't going to chase them down and ticket them. What's the point of having an ordinance if it's not enforced?

As much as they'll enforce this law, people still won't follow through. I'm glad for this though because the other day, some idiot was actually texting someone at the green light....I tooted my horn for him to move and about 5 seconds later he responds. Next light, he does it to someone else. In the mean time, he's drifting side to side while driving.

I myself can't drive too well holding a cell...I have to have speakerphone on as turning is near impossible. (I'm one of those who's so used to having both hands on the wheel.)

And how many teenage girls who just got turned 16 and got a car are going to pay attention to this? About 20. Besides, why wait until 2008??? Why not 07? It will not take about a two year campaign to get people to realize thisd ban is there. Half of us will forget about this by the time it comes into effect. It's just too little too late. Charge them 100, and they'll actually take it seriously. Charge them 20, and they just don't get to buy that burger and fries they wanted to eat while talking to their friends...

OMG! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!!!!!

I cannot tell you how many times each day I see a "near miss" on my commute by some idiot not paying attention while they are on the phone.

I know for me personally, I've used a hands free headset for years. I totally feel like if I have to hold the phone, it's harder for me to concentrate.

--Robb "This is a good thing!" Alvey

Aye. In NJ, my parents have some near-misses of people suddenly stopping and veering off to some vacant old lot on the side of the road while using their cell phone. AGH!!

Non-Jerseyans could call it the "I-better-brake-and-get-off-the-road-so-I-can-use-my-cell-phone-for-two-minutes" NJ technique.

There are so many people who should turn the dang things off while on the road if they're that distracted. Especially newer teenage drivers. I'm in high-school, so the bus occansionally has to dodge the occansional Senior who thinks talking to his friend who's only a dozen yards away in the lot on his cell will make him look cool/professional.

In a nutshell,

WE NEW JERSEYANS(and all 50 states) NEED THIS!

On military installations, phones must be in hands free mode. I solve that by turning on the speaker and setting the phone on the little table between the front seats. Callers can hear me just fine, and I can hear them.

A $20 or $50 fine is ridiculous. You are fined $250 for not having a ticket on L.A.'s Metro system. Not having a ticket or holding a cell phone while driving...which do you think is more dangerous?

People are going to yak and drive anyway. How many times do people get away with not buckling up? That's the law, too.

Eric