TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Official "Southport is Closing" Thread

http://icseftonandwestlancs.icnetwork.co.uk/icsouthport/news/tm_objectid=17801238&method=full&siteid=60252&headline=blow-for-cyclone-as-listed-status-refused-name_page.html

Blow for Cyclone as listed status refused Sep 22 2006

by Tina Miles, Southport Visiter

SOUTHPORT’S much-loved Cyclone will NOT be granted Listed Building status.

The reason is because a significant part of it has been dismantled, according to the Department of Culture Media and Sport (DCMS), which made its decision late yesterday afternoon.

The news will be devastating for all those who campaigned to protect the structure following the abrupt closure of Pleasureland on September 5.

English Heritage was asked to consider the Cyclone rollercoaster for listing on September 13 and the case was immediately fast-tracked, but has sadly failed.

An English Heritage spokeswoman said: “English Heritage agrees with the DCMS that unfortunately this rollercoaster has been altered too much and not enough of the original structure remains for it to be Listed.

Much of this was due to a major fire in December 1984 where the original structure was damaged and had to be rebuilt.

“We also noted that demolition of the Cyclone began shortly after its closure on September 5 and much of the south east end of the rollercoaster has now been demolished.

“The Cyclone is not the oldest rollercoaster of its type and is not part of a wider group of historically significant entertainment buildings - an important factor when assessing whether a building or structure is listable.

“We are saddened that buildings and structures don’t have stronger protection while they are being considered for listing, but we hope this will be reviewed in forthcoming changes to the heritage protection system.”

The judgement will anger hundreds of people in our town, including the Southport protesters who staged a sit-in on top of the town’s 60ft Cyclone ride on Monday and took part in further demonstrations this week.

Peter Crompton and Alastair Bone, who call themselves the Southport Preservation Society, were campaigning to save the rollercoaster after workers with chainsaws began dismantling the wooden structure last week.

And yesterday, as more people gathered outside the closed amusement park with banners, Peter took to the skies in a light aircraft to take photographs to send to the English Heritage.

On Wednesday evening, a convoy of about 100 demonstrators including small children and pensioners joined the men to wave banners, blow whistles and honk their car horns in protest against the destruction of the ride.

Peter, a technician, said: “The support was absolutely incredible. We had to do something because we are running out of time.”

But the support was not enough to save the ride from being axed.

Peter, 35, said: “From the press coverage we’ve got it’s now bringing in more interest and consequently more information has come to light and I was contacted by a rambler who gave us photographs of newts he has photographed at Pleasureland living under the Cyclone.”

Merseyside Police Wildlife Liaison Officer Steven Harris said: “I have contacted English Nature and the Lancashire Wildlife Trust who said they have no records of great crested newts at the site.”

'It was never a moneyspinner':

SEFTON’S cabinet member for leisure and tourism, Cllr Lord Ronnie Fearn said: “Looking back at the history of the building it would be very nice to get it Listed, but a lot of residents who are protesting have never been on the ride or haven’t been on it for many years, it was never a money spinner in Pleasureland in these last 10 years.

“If it was to remain it may interfere with any other kind of development which we come forward within the next 18 months.”

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to agree with this statement:

The Cyclone is not the oldest rollercoaster of its type and is not part of a wider group of historically significant entertainment buildings - an important factor when assessing whether a building or structure is listable.

I'll say it again, I'm always saddened to see a coaster close. ANY coaster. But at the end of the day you have to ask yourself "Is this ride really WORTH saving?" "What financial impact would it make on another park if it were to be moved?" Sure it might be sentimental for some people, and it might have some place in local historical significance, but that article it right.....it's NOT the oldest or it's not the best of it's type, it was just yet another "really old, mediocre at best, wooden roller coaster." There really was nothing special or that "memorable" about it. No one came back from the UK trip raving "My God...we rode all these amazing rides, and wow! That Southport Cyclone! What a STAND OUT attraction that was! That's a coaster I'd love to have at MY home park!" No one. I don't think any of those thoughts even crossed someone's mind.

If this ride was a "top ten" roller coaster, i.e. "a significant entertainment building" then I could see it's value. But it's not the "Coney Island Cyclone" or even the "Grand National", it's a ride that most people in the UK who probably live more than an hour away from it, if you asked, probably aren't even aware of it's existence.

Yes I'm bummed to see it go, but I'm not going to lay down in front of a bulldozer either. Seriously, how many of us really would?

--Robb "Just trying to be realistic!" Alvey

http://petitions.orbititservices.com/index.php

It only takes about 10 seconds to fill in.

So please help save this 'classic' coaster.

(In all honesty, I'm not too bothered about it, but there are lots of people who are, so I did sign it anyway.

I know if the same was happening to the classic Scenic Railway near where I live, I would want loads of peeps to sign it.)

So go on, do your good deed for the day and sign it.

Why isn't there a "Save the Hurricane" petition? Huh? I mean, sure Hurricane isn't as old, but even with as rough as that ride was, it was better than Cyclone!

Hopefully this will just pave the way to bigger, better, and NEWER wood coasters!

--Robb

Hopefully this will just pave the way to bigger, better, and NEWER wood coasters!

with all the respect Rob, but thats just BS. it's not like the Cyclone's removal will pave the way for a state of the art Gravity Group or Intamin woodie. it's one of the few coaster left from that era in Europe, it's one of the 3 Charles Paige coasters still remaining, and I think a coaster build in 1937 standing for such a long time deserves to be saved. you may not care about classic wooden coasters but there are some who do, there are enough new high quality woodies out there to keep you satisfied....

and yeah I'm an preservist and proud off it.

with all the respect Rob, but thats just BS. it's not like the Cyclone's removal will pave the way for a state of the art Gravity Group or Intamin woodie. it's one of the few coaster left from that era in Europe, it's one of the 3 Charles Paige coasters still remaining, and I think a coaster build in 1937 standing for such a long time deserves to be saved. you may not care about classic wooden coasters but there are some who do, there are enough new high quality woodies out there to keep you satisfied....

and yeah I'm an preservist and proud off it.

And I respect that. Like Elissa said, we have different opinions. That doesn't make you right or me wrong.

And I think my example stands. You don't see anyone trying to save the Hurricane. Why? It's crap. It's not worth saving, IMO. Why move it when you could build a brand new coaster, better, for not much more of an investment.

But I'd put money on it that if Hurricane was 30+ years older you'd see a petition online. WHY??? Just because it's 'old'???

I agree with Elissa. Age shouldn't have anything to do with it. We should be saving the "good" rides - regardless of age.

--Robb "Cyclone, IMO, was not a good ride...at least not worthy of saving." Alvey

ps. Can someone please merge this thread into the other Cyclone thread?

This Sucks big time, BPB don't care about their ex-staff from Southport:

A number of redundant staff from Pleasureland (Southport) called into the Job centre this morning (Tuesday 26th September 2006) to register for benefits, and to get their insurance claim forms in order to cover outstanding mortgages.

Rudundant staff went through the paper work only to be told they are unable to process any claims (by Pleasureland) as Pleasurebeach Blackpool has allegedly failed to submit the necessary paper work.

They have asked a couple of times for it but without success.

All staff of Pleasureland permanent and seasonal are now unable to claim benefits.

I am a lot sadder to see the park go, then I am to see psyclone go. IMO that was one of the five worst(non kiddie) coasters in the UK and the worst woodie. However I enjoyed a couple of the dark rides there and the mouse the loss of those is a far bigger tradegy.

Rich "I had ERT on Psclone and only rode once" Bitner