TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Studios Hollywood (USH) Discussion Thread

i am kind of confused... is this a roller coaster... or something else??? (like the mummy (an indoor roller coaster, or will this be like the attraction at DCA (toy story one)

Not a coaster, more like Toy Story but on a much much bigger scale.

Hulu has a sneak peak 30 Rock 3rd season premiere up at http://www.hulu.com/watch/40482/30-rock-sneak-peek-do-over and it contains a reference to the USH fire!

At the start of the episode Jack (former fictitious head of NBC) is talking to Devon (the fictitious new head of GE) about what's happened to GE (owner of NBC Universal) over the summer. One of the things he lists is "and I hear that that theme park fire didn't destroy any of the stuff it was supposed to"

Glad to hear USH might finally be getting a decent ride. Last good ride we got was JP. Mummy doesn't count, cause Florida's craps all over ours.

All I have to say is that there better be some Megan Fox somewhere on that ride otherwise....No Megan Fox = FAIL

it doesn't crap all over USH's. It definately at least spits on it.

Still though, Im glad that USH is finally getting something this big, but I still think they need at least one more ride on the upper level

This is definitely great news as I was just in awe when watching the film and am such transformers fan. In opinion it looks like this could definitely end up being the new technology as outline http://www.vekoma.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=35&Itemid=30. At least I am hoping because I think that this concept has plenty of potential as it creates more depth for a variety of experiences especially if immersed in a 3D environment.

Hmm, that's interesting in light of the announcement today that Vekoma is building "a signature attraction in one of the largest theme parks to open in Southeast Asia in 2010"

• 4 weeks later...

As I've dealt with hundreds of escalator claims, it's impossible for an escalator to reverse directions. There's too many safeties in place.

Most likely it a safety was triggered and it stopped. Most people mistake the stopping (which is done with flywheel), as a reverse of direction.

I still imagine that this is going to turn into a long legal matter, but as far as I understand it (as was just stated) these things only can move in a single direction. With that said I could see a sudden stop causing a handful of people to lose balance and possibly fall. Not sure if this really rises to the level of negligence (which is what I'm sure USH will be sued for) however.

Though in terms of it changing directions, while all the safeties should prevent that, the other night while driving I saw contradicting green lights, which I also thought was impossible, so who knows.

the other night while driving I saw contradicting green lights, which I also thought was impossible, so who knows.

My mom was actually in an accident once where all four lights at an intersection turned green simultaneously. Crazy, but true. And thankfully no one was killed or seriously injured.

As I've dealt with hundreds of escalator claims, it's impossible for an escalator to reverse directions. There's too many safeties in place.

Most likely it a safety was triggered and it stopped. Most people mistake the stopping (which is done with flywheel), as a reverse of direction.

In Hong Kong there is a whole series of escalators that go from the waterfront up the hill. In the morning they run down and in the evening they run up.

I'd have to agree that it would be unlikely for an escalator to switch directions while in operation. They just arent that sophisticated.

Around here, lots of places reverse escalators all the time. I've even seen it done in person. Granted they always have a security guard or someone on hand to make sure no one is on it. The actual switching is done with the turn of a key.

One thing that I DO worry about is an escalator going "flat". That happened at our airport about 7 or 8 years ago. It turned an escalator going up into a huge slide. Lots of people were hurt becuase of it too.

In Hong Kong there is a whole series of escalators that go from the waterfront up the hill. In the morning they run down and in the evening they run up.

The ones in the Ogilvie Transportation Center do the same here. I'm saying they can't go from one direction to another without a full stop. Even then, the change in direction is a full stop, then into the reverse (or forward), which is all done by a technician.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

On June 1st of last year, a large fire had ravaged through the backlot area of Universal Studios Hollywood. It did considerable damage to some film vaults, as well as the infamous "Courthouse Square". That particular area had been the backdrop of many films over the years including: "To Kill a Mockingbird" (back in the day, it was known as "Mockingbird Square"), "Bruce Almighty", "The Nutty Professor", "The Music Man" along with many others, and of course, the "Back to the Future" trilogy.

Universal had said that it would be rebuilt.

Fast forward to yesterday.

Since Robb was out goofing off somewhere driving go-carts or some other nonsense, William "I make kick-ass scavenger hunts" Shandling, his brother Frank and myself were asked to represent TPR at the new unveiling.

Also mentioned was that the conversion all of the trams to be "mobile movie theaters" with Hi-Def monitors and a superb digital audio system was about 99% complete.

The pics will tell the rest of the story.

Video!

[coastertube]http://www.themeparkreview.com/coastertube/play.php?vid=universal_q96f[/coastertube]

DSC08740.JPG.c5defc98be2f9d20603a97ada0efb6ec.JPG

This has been brought to you by TPR news.

Thank you for reading!

DSC08796.JPG.5189630057968f31cac9cc6463cd6d6c.JPG

More of the construction, that will be ongoing for some time.

DSC08791.JPG.475bca3bee9a5c90c1079f26fa14e83a.JPG

And they make an awesome difference!! You can hear the tour guides perfectly, and the corresponding videos just pop off the screen. An excellent modification!!

DSC08792.JPG.92a98e27ccf94e50dac78c363546d421.JPG

Each tram was now loaded with 3, 24" (16x9) Hi-Def monitors, as well as 4 digital audio speakers, mounted every other row (2 in the center, 2 on the outer edges).

DSC08789.JPG.ce4d5614965dc5463a00a863dc2ae867.JPG

Time to go check out the new Hi-Def tram tour. On the way, you can see the amount of construction and restoration that still needs to be done in the "Courthouse Square" area.

5.jpg.50f6e083ece8390b0acc9bfad33635a2.jpg

Here's William interviewing (at length I might add) Larry Kurzweil, President and CEO of USH. Mr. Kurzweil was very cordial and very happy to talk on camera for us! He also told us a little (ok, very little) about the new "King Kong 4D" part of the tram tour, coming next summer!

He also interviewed Molly for quite some time. I do believe he got her #, though she declined to don her costume from "Hair" for him!

Hopefully, those video interviews will be posted here soon.

DSC08782.JPG.6cd03fe491e6ee6357c1a283c43e491e.JPG

After the tram departed, the cast members posed for photo ops.

DSC08770.JPG.a1f9e561084aee5f045e66b13c6a41b8.JPG

With encouragement from Doc Brown, Molly (a USH tour guide AND "Hair" cast member), christened the tram, celebrating the re-opening of "Courthouse Square".

DSC08769.JPG.6c901ee0de9d792307774da3571ffcbc.JPG

They just look annoying to me!

DSC08762.JPG.34f8fcf00e765fa7d9b6498fb59259d7.JPG

...followed by a portion of the USC marching band. (proving that the Jew has WAY too much influence on USH!)

DSC08759.JPG.bd6c7be5a6a0ffdf88b75e4aaae1a457.JPG

...which prompted the cast members to grab the balloons and head on over to greet them.

DSC08758.JPG.f13440ec89b703c69f7efa45108ec33e.JPG

The first tram in over a year, makes it way into "Courthouse Square".

DSC08754.JPG.4c00cc417b8774d53bdf65e0eafeaf14.JPG

Just prior to the first tram coming thru, the construction workers got a small break.

DSC08753.JPG.141303be913324ad59b6945e68b162d5.JPG

There was still a lot of construction/restoration going on in the backlot area.

DSC08750.JPG.bbe92cd257cc874518d54be0ec399979.JPG

Evidently, getting the boob credit never gets old!!

DSC08749.JPG.1ebdfe2c4134a918ae7efdc4463c7a9c.JPG

As William went to interview the sailors, they started acting - like sailors.

DSC08747.JPG.0e9169ec0229bf7d9f9a2194f188805a.JPG

The "Same as it Never Was" antique store from the tv show "Ghost Whisperer".

DSC08746.JPG.76523dea79640305dda13c11d04555fe.JPG

As we got to the square, the local media was interviewing cast members before the big moment.

DSC08745.JPG.e0c05c837b841576b78e6dbe767b67da.JPG

The backdrop for many, many movies: the courthouse. (Minus the clock tower from BTTF)

3.jpg.91d36c57bbf88ad40fc7abd60292b68d.jpg

Yours truly, studying the press release so I could get my facts straight.

DSC08741.JPG.70a204e340b892826395f0623d4c21d0.JPG

In case you forgot where we were.

This is great news! Glad to see things back on track on hope the constructions folks got a round of applause for their work in getting everything built again.

Would Larry Kurzweil be the same fellow related to the keyboards and synthesizers from years ago? If so, very cool as well.

Halloween Horror Nights came early this year? Glad to know they are using the Caretaker this year.

Glad to see the courthouse again, and I'm glad they keep plussing the tram tour as it's obviously the most unique and popluar thing about the park (until transformer's opens... hopefully...).