TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Studios Hollywood (USH) Discussion Thread

100% we expect all TPR members to follow all park guidelines. So the answer is she should not be visiting the park at this time.

Thus far, only Sea World has changed their guidelines to allow vaccinated guests from any state if she wants to visit a park.

• Like 1

Yeah just to reiterate what everyone else has said...

It may be kind of a dumb rule, but it's a rule and we will follow it.  If you guys choose not to follow it I wouldn't be posting about it on a public message board. 

• 1 month later...

Just a quick post, but I visited Universal Studios the day after the Memorial Day weekend just for a quick visit. The park experienced lines significantly above an hour for most of the day in spite of the capacity cap. Something that I found rather interesting that there was a much lower willingness by guests to observe social distancing guidelines at this park than at Disneyland, which I had visited the previous days.

Onto the rides (that were new to me):

• Last time I visited, Kung Fu Panda was still the Shrek show. This was the only ride / show in the park that never passed a half hour wait time, and I can see why. Not only were the social distancing restrictions more lenient than I had expected given how other rides were spacing guests - the ride just isn't very good. It feels like the movie was designed for a simulator attraction until the ending happens (which has the only cool effect of the entire show). Then again, I don't remember particularly liking the Shrek show so at least I can't complain about it replacing something that I like.
  • Speaking of which, for the updates to Jurassic Park the new animatronics in the lift hill portion of the attraction are super impressive, but I think that I prefer the old version. There was a deliberateness in how show scenes used to be arranged and paced for dramatic effect in the old ride that is simply absent here.
  • I'm impressed by how many animatronics the Secret Life of Pets ride has. It's a cute ride, and due to the ride system, it basically had normal-ish operations even in the face of social distancing guidelines. 
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, aueft said:

Just a quick post, but I visited Universal Studios the day after the Memorial Day weekend just for a quick visit. The park experienced lines significantly above an hour for most of the day in spite of the capacity cap. Something that I found rather interesting that there was a much lower willingness by guests to observe social distancing guidelines at this park than at Disneyland, which I had visited the previous days.

you have about an hour or two depending on the day, then many of the lines ballon to 1-2 hours.  pretty much been that way since reopening.  just not enough things to do there for the capacity.  the social distancing on the tram take a huge amount of people away that normally would be on the tram.  hopefully full capacity on rides will be back soon and will help with the lines a bit. 

Universal Studios has announced that this year's Halloween Horror Nights at Universal Studios Hollywood and the Universal Orlando Resort will feature mazes inspired by Netflix's "The Haunting of Hill House."

1670143453_UniversalStudios039HalloweenHorrorNightstoDebutNewMazesInspiredbyNetflix039sTheHauntingofHillHouseThisFall.thumb.jpg.0be1f3279f2b532a907ca95a5dda5286.jpg

https://www.nbcumv.com/mediavillage/interactive/2929fed4187b40648b79a9839e70e91fproduct169208/index.html#/brand/25dc392f-2f08-452b-9b31-52704ab0689e/press-releases/d7aa03ec-7735-4a66-83f2-304282c4e0aa

For the first time ever, Netflix’s critically-acclaimed series “The Haunting of Hill House” will bring its ominous presence to Universal Orlando Resort and Universal Studios Hollywood in all-new mazes for “Halloween Horror Nights 2021,” which is officially back beginning in September.

Upon its release, Netflix’s “The Haunting of Hill House” became a worldwide phenomenon of unsettling proportions that elevated the horror television genre. Created, directed and executive-produced by horror mastermind Mike Flanagan (Hush, Oculus, Gerald’s Game) and executive produced by Trevor Macy via their Intrepid Pictures, the chilling horror story follows members of the Crain family who are haunted by long-dormant fears stemming from their time living in the menacing Hill House as children and then forced to face the ghosts of its grisly past.

Reincarnated as “Halloween Horror Nights” mazes, the imposing and mysterious Hill House eerily comes to life beckoning guests to embark on the dark journey experienced by the Crain family.

Iconic scenes from the Netflix series will be featured throughout the maze, including the omni-powerful Red Room – the heart of Hill House – and the infamous Hall of Statues, where deceptive powers overtake everyone who enters. Apparitions will appear around every corner, from William Hill – The Tall Man, whose towering stature overwhelms everyone he encounters; to The Ghost in the Basement, who feverishly crawls throughout the bowels of the House in search of his next victim; to The Bent-Neck Lady, whose disturbing scream and ghastly appearance invoke a constant state of unnerving dread. 

“The Haunting of Hill House” mazes will test even the bravest guests as they attempt to escape the entanglement of the estate’s eternal stranglehold or succumb to the powerful forces of Hill House – leaving them to wander the endless halls forever…alone.

“I have loved Halloween Horror Nights for so long,” said Mike Flanagan, Creator, Director and Executive Producer of “The Haunting of Hill House.” “Some of my favorite memories of Halloween were made at Universal Studios, screaming and laughing with my friends. It is such an honor to be included among such fantastic Haunts, and I’m so glad that fans will be able to walk the halls of Hill House this Halloween. This is – without a doubt – one of the coolest things that’s ever happened to us at Intrepid. We are so excited to visit the Red Room again – we hope to see you all there!”

“It’s a nightmare come true to bring Netflix’s “The Haunting of Hill House” to life for our guests this year at ‘Halloween Horror Nights,’” said Charles Gray, Senior Show Director for Entertainment Creative Development at Universal Orlando Resort. “The show brought true horror to the masses, similar to what we’ve provided our guests at this event for nearly 30 years – Hill House is a perfect fit for “Halloween Horror Nights” as it enters a new decade of fear.”

“Mike Flanagan has elevated the horror genre with his supernatural thriller, ‘The Haunting of Hill House,’” said John Murdy, Executive Producer of “Halloween Horror Nights” at Universal Studios Hollywood. “We continuously challenge ourselves to raise the bar with each maze we create, and we look forward to creating a unique experience for our guests that combines both the psychological and visceral twists from the series. The goal is to make our guests feel as if they are walking in the footsteps of the Crain family, re-living all the horrors that they experienced.”

The “Halloween Horror Nights” events begin on Friday, September 3 in Orlando and Thursday, September 9 in Hollywood – and both events run select nights through Sunday, October 31. Select tickets and vacation packages are now on sale for “Halloween Horror Nights” at Universal Orlando Resort; tickets for the event at Universal Studios Hollywood will be available soon. Due to popular demand, event nights are expected to sell out. For more information and to purchase tickets, visit www.HalloweenHorrorNights.com.

Currently streaming globally on Netflix, “The Haunting of Hill House” is produced for Netflix by Amblin TV and Paramount Television.

01_Netflix's The Haunting of Hill House at Universal Studios' Halloween Horror Nights.JPG

02_Universal Orlando-Netflix's The Haunting of Hill House at Halloween Horror Nights.JPG

03_Netflix's The Haunting of Hill House at Universal Studios' Halloween Horror Nights.JPG

04_Netflix's The Haunting of Hill House at Universal Studios' Halloween Horror Nights.JPG

05_Netflix's The Haunting of Hill House at Universal Studios' Halloween Horror Nights.JPG

06_Netflix's The Haunting of Hill House at Universal Studios' Halloween Horror Nights.JPG

07_Netflix's The Haunting of Hill House at Universal Studios' Halloween Horror Nights.JPG

08_Universal Orlando-Netflix's The Haunting of Hill House at Halloween Horror Nights.JPG

According to the rumors they're not even doing any haunts on the backlot this year (lots of new soundtstage construction), so even the half-assed facades you'd get down there won't be available.  Get ready for a whole lot of painted plywood entryways.

That's nerve wrecking to say the least!  Most of the maze were in the backlot.  Like 4 of them if we count the location the stranger things house.  So that leave only 2 house down there?  Jurassic and mummy queue?

There's a pretty strong rumor there may be one or possibly even two in SS29.  I believe there's also two more in an area below the Curious George parking lot, sort of behind the tram maintenance area  Additionally, most are suspecting TWD will return for HHN, and maybe even Terror Tram.

^ Proof?  Otherwise it's a 50/50 shot at being legit.  I don't believe anything until official announcements are made but Universal has more leaks than a sinking submarine annually so...

Proof lol?  What proof could he provide?  It's all speculation and technically since that map is not authentically published by universal then one can say it's fake.  Now if it's true or not, that's another situation.  I just find it funny when people ask for proof on something being speculated when they couldn't provide counterproof. . .

I hope it's not the true line up.  While it may be good enough for the locals, I cannot justify the flight from SC for rehashed houses.

I agree, there's no proof, hence the name "speculation map".  This account does this every year, and it's always changing and is hit and miss.

Although based on the rumors I'm recently hearing, this may end up being fairly accurate.  Some properties that were planned (if to be believed, Halloween 3 and Beetlejuice) fell through and had to be replaced at the last minute.

Personally, I feel it's a bit weak as well, but I'm a local, and remember that California essentially had all of Halloween canceled last year due to the pandemic... not a single haunt happened at all, so I'll take what I can get.  But I agree, I wouldn't travel across the country for it.

They said it was "posted as a fan theory map."  Posted where?  What fan theory?  That's the proof I want, not proof that it's fake.  Proof of their claim of it being posted by someone as a fan theory.

2 hours ago, KBrylczyk said:

They said it was "posted as a fan theory map."  Posted where?  What fan theory?  That's the proof I want, not proof that it's fake.  Proof of their claim of it being posted by someone as a fan theory.

Lol it was shared on reddit so long ago. You can see at the top it says "speculation map". Here it is:

Universal Studios has announced that this year's Halloween Horror Nights at the Universal Orlando Resort and at Universal Studios Hollywood will feature two new houses, "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" and "Universal Monsters: The Bride of Frankenstein Lives." These two new houses will debut with each park's respective event starting this September!

HHN-Texas-Chainsaw-Massacre-Image.thumb.jpg.7cb1b39a62c522d8bf802c4f0aa22e38.jpg

https://media.universalorlando.com/press-releases/bride-of-frankenstein-texas-chainsaw/

This fall, Universal Studios’ “Halloween Horror Nights” returns to Universal Orlando Resort and Universal Studios Hollywood, unleashing some of the most nefarious names in horror to prey upon guests. Classic films that have influenced the horror genre will come to life in two of the event’s disturbingly-real haunted mazes – prepare for the return of the legendary Leatherface in “The Texas Chainsaw Massacre” and the resurrection of one of Universal Pictures’ most iconic monsters – the Bride of Frankenstein – in “Universal Monsters: The Bride of Frankenstein Lives.”

HHN-Bride-of-Frankenstein-Lives-Image.thumb.jpg.09dbfcb9089713b4cf864428803e551c.jpg

Universal Monsters: The Bride of Frankenstein Lives

At its core, Halloween Horror Nights is an extension of the horror film legacy originated by Universal Pictures, and the event continues to honor its blockbuster history with a haunted maze highlighting one of the studio’s most sinister creatures – The Bride of Frankenstein. “Universal Monsters: The Bride of Frankenstein Lives” picks up where the 1935 classic film “The Bride of Frankenstein” left off, thrusting guests into chaos as the Bride becomes an unstoppable scientist and begins her mission to revive Frankenstein’s Monster. Her unwavering quest to find eternal life will come at a cost, and guests will soon find themselves entwined in a frenzied battle in their daring attempt to escape. Click here for an electrifying preview of “Universal Monsters: The Bride of Frankenstein Lives.”

1000x300-GRIDDLE_stu.jpg.8552715b3074ccdabef2f3b2d8300dcb.jpg

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Inspired by the 1974 iconic slasher film “The Texas Chainsaw Massacre,” the “Halloween Horror Nights” mazes will depict a harrowing and intense experience as guests try to outrun the maniacal Leatherface and his unrelenting chainsaw. Guests will embark on a killer journey through a series of familiar scenes from the film and eventually fall victim to a family of cannibals. From a dilapidated gas station to an eerie, old farmhouse, they will witness unimaginable horrors around every corner, soon discovering that nowhere is safe from the demented Leatherface. Click here for a sneak peek at “The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.”

Plus, guests at Universal Orlando’s “Halloween Horror Nights” will face another pop culture and horror legend as they brave this year’s event. The destination previously revealed the first haunted house of the season featuring the ‘ghost with the most,’ “Beetlejuice,” based on Warner Bros. Pictures and Tim Burton’s Academy Award-winning horror-fantasy film.

Stay tuned as additional details about “Halloween Horror Nights” at both Universal Orlando Resort and Universal Studios Hollywood will be revealed soon.

The “Halloween Horror Nights” events begin on Friday, September 3 in Orlando and Thursday, September 9 in Hollywood – and both events run select nights through Sunday, October 31. Select tickets and vacation packages are now on sale for “Halloween Horror Nights” at Universal Orlando Resort; tickets for the event at Universal Studios Hollywood will be available soon. Due to popular demand, event nights are expected to sell out. For more information and to purchase tickets, visit www.HalloweenHorrorNights.com.

1 hour ago, ryder said:

Why does Orlando have Beetlejuice, and Hollywood doesn’t?  Seems like that’s big property that should be on both coasts. 

My understanding is due to contractual obligations, USF had to open Beetlejuice last year (even if it was for a week) if they wanted to bring it back for 2021. Since they were able to do so, Beetlejuice is only coming to Orlando. USH never got the chance for that. 

On 7/13/2021 at 9:09 PM, ryder said:

There's a pretty strong rumor there may be one or possibly even two in SS29.  I believe there's also two more in an area below the Curious George parking lot, sort of behind the tram maintenance area  Additionally, most are suspecting TWD will return for HHN, and maybe even Terror Tram.

Construction is visible for the two mazes behind the parking garage, mummy, waterworld, and Parisian courtyard. Make of that what you will.  I highly doubt two mazes are inside stage 29.  The lower lot could barely handle the queue for just stranger things, and that was before Nintendo construction was so far along.

Universal Studios Hollywood has announced the return of two fan-favorite houses for Halloween Horror Nights 2021, The Exorcist and The Curse of Pandora's Box!

1732591278_maxresdefault(25).thumb.jpeg.76871657de233aef326fd92a731931bb.jpeg

https://hollywood.halloweenhorrornights.com/mazes/the-exorcist/

The film that fueled your worst nightmares has returned to Halloween Horror Nights. Enter the most haunting scenes from the film as 12-year-old Regan is possessed by a demon, possibly the devil himself. It’s a battle of the wills between good and evil.

NUP_186481_0013.thumb.JPG.95ea38f1033994fc149dbcc3f123bbd6.JPG

https://hollywood.halloweenhorrornights.com/mazes/the-curse-of-pandoras-box-2/

An ancient horror has returned to prey on those foolish enough to tempt the Fates with their curiosity and greed. Enter Pandora’s Curiosity Shop, where her infamous box lies. Once it’s opened, all manner of evil will be unleashed. Greek mythology is about to become your monstrous reality.

• 1 month later...

Employee preview was tonight, so you can probably find some spoilers online if you want to.

I was invited as a guest, but didn’t take any photos.

quick summary:

-fire back on the main entrance. No Gogo dancers up front. Main Street falls flat as a scare zone with nothing but music and gobo lights.

-terror tram is exactly how you remember it minus the now demolished who ville and the mini maze next to war of worlds. The path is paved now! Very underwhelming, wish they would have kept the mazes in tram garage instead.

-presumably because of planning for covid distancing, all the “recycled” IP mazes I think were improvements on their originals. Larger rooms and what felt like less scenes instead of “pack as much in with black walls between to make it fit”

-Pandora’s box felt the same as 2019, which isn’t a bad thing!

-aside from the low budget facade, haunting of hill house is beautiful.  Again you can tell it was designed with covid in mind, which I think makes each scare pop more.

-bride of Frankenstein, also felt shorter, but also great visuals. Exits into an outdoor scarezone on French street that I guess you could call an extension of the maze.

Overall, Despite the recycled mazes, I think this actually turned out to be one of the better years quality wise. 

• Like 2