TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Studios Hollywood (USH) Discussion Thread

• 2 weeks later...

Now this could be an interesting maze.

1446133314_07-11-515CrimsonPeakatHHN2015.thumb.jpg.6ab38bcaf9e2cee019143269a41b17d8.jpg

Universal Studios Hollywood Brings the Terror of Crimson Peak, from Visionary Director Guillermo del Toro, to Life in an All-Original “Halloween Horror Nights” Maze Inspired by Legendary and Universal Pictures’ Highly-Anticipated Gothic Romance

“Halloween Horror Nights,” Southern California’s Most Extreme Horror Experience,

Begins Friday, September 18

Universal City, California, July 11, 2015 – Legendary and Universal Pictures’ much-anticipated Crimson Peak, directed, co-written and produced by celebrated filmmaker Guillermo del Toro, will come to life in a terrifying new “Halloween Horror Nights” maze beginning Friday, September 18, 2015, at Universal Studios Hollywood, it was announced today.

Crimson Peak opens in theaters on October 16.

“Guillermo del Toro Presents Crimson Peak: Maze of Madness” will be unearthed as a three-dimensional living representation of the film, designed to send guests spiraling through the chilling world and in the footsteps of Crimson Peak’s lead character, Edith Cushing, first as they venture from her home in America, then to the decaying and haunted Allerdale Hall mansion in a remote English countryside. With a foreboding “Beware of Crimson Peak” message that echos from Edith’s past, guests will navigate a labyrinth of paranormal tortured souls who have born witness to the estate’s dark history of unspeakable acts …and who continue to reside in vengeful, ghostly forms.

“I am a devoted fan of Universal Studios’ ‘Halloween Horror Nights,’ and I am honored to partner with them to create a real-life version of my Gothic Romance, Crimson Peak,” said Guillermo del Toro. “It’s a thrill to work with the movie studio that gave birth to the modern horror movie genre. I can’t wait for movie-goers to enter the haunting world of Crimson Peak as they navigate this haunting maze. I can assure you, I will be first in line to experience the scares of it myself.”

“Guillermo del Toro is a leading visionary in film, and Crimson Peak provides endless opportunities to immerse guests into the terrifying world that he created,” said John Murdy, Creative Director at Universal Studios Hollywood and Executive Producer of “Halloween Horror Nights.” “From the haunting score by Fernando Velázquez to the incredibly detailed set design and scream-inducing ghosts, we will recreate an authentic experience that will have guests feeling as trapped in our ‘Crimson Peak’ maze as the film’s lead character.”

About Crimson Peak: When her heart is stolen by a seductive stranger, a young woman is swept away to a house atop a mountain of blood-red clay: a place filled with secrets that will haunt her forever. Between desire and darkness, between mystery and madness, lies the truth behind Crimson Peak.

From the imagination of director Guillermo del Toro comes a gothic romance starring Tom Hiddleston, Jessica Chastain, Mia Wasikowska and Charlie Hunnam. http://www.crimsonpeakmovie.com

About Universal Studios Halloween Horror Nights: "Halloween Horror Nights" 2015 at Universal Studios Hollywood kicks off on Friday, September 18, 2015 and continues on select nights through November 1. The popular event brings together the sickest minds in horror to immerse guests in a living, breathing, three-dimensional world of terror. Featuring an all-new slate of unrivaled film production quality mazes, frightful scare zones and a fully re-imagined “Terror Tram” experience uniquely themed to today’s most definitive horror properties, “Halloween Horror Nights” will taunt, terrorize and torment guests with spine-chilling haunted attractions during Southern California’s most extreme Halloween experience.

Updates on “Halloween Horror Nights” at Universal Studios Hollywood are available online at HalloweenHorrorNights.com/Hollywood and on Facebook at: “Halloween Horror Nights – Hollywood,” on Instagram at @HorrorNights and Twitter at @HorrorNights as Creative Director John Murdy reveals a running chronicle of exclusive information. Watch videos on Halloween Horror Nights YouTube and join the conversation using #UniversalHHN.

To learn more about this all-new “Halloween Horror Nights” maze, click here: "Guillermo del Toro Presents Crimson Peak: Maze of Madness."

As awesome as I'm sure this will be, I fear that they're making the same mistake as last year with the Dracula Untold maze. The event and maze opened a full month before the movie was released. For 75% of the event, nobody knew what the story was, it was just a haunt. The immersion goes away when you're not familiar with the story. Dracula Untold was one of the haunts that wasn't too well-received, as well, probably for this very reason.

I feel like that was more the creative direction of the maze than the story itself. I haven't seen a single episode of Walking Dead,but I still saw a story progress throughout the maze. I think Dracula Untold just didn't do a good job of progressing the story, so the feeling you were left with was "what the heck is going on?" instead of "ohh...this is the story!"

I think dracula wasn't that great simply because it wasn't that great lol. It was more an action movie vs horror. Sounds like crimson peak is gonna be 3d and more so supernatural. Just the background alone seems to lend itself to being a much better house than Dracula.

I didn't see Dracula Untold until after I went through the maze; even after that, the maze didn't make a lot of sense. Universal built nice, elaborate sets for it, but it still seemed more like a better version of the generic Dark Ages "Medieval Macabre" maze at Kings Dominion's Haunt.

Here's the hoping that del Toro is actively involved in designing "Crimson Peak." He's an expert in building atmosphere in horror and fantasy films.

I would agree. The movie trailer for one is not impressive. I think it barely even works as a horror movie. The other problem is that the movie primarily is about this haunted house, an amazingly designed, intricate location. I think to expect them to capture that level of detail in a temp attraction is too much to ask for from the designers. I have a feeling it will be heavily recycled generic gothic props that have appeared in other mazes before such as the bland Dracula maze. Also, there is no central monster, it is a ghost story, and the ghosts look just like any other ones you have seen in many, many other movies.

• 2 weeks later...
I feel like that was more the creative direction of the maze than the story itself. I haven't seen a single episode of Walking Dead,but I still saw a story progress throughout the maze. I think Dracula Untold just didn't do a good job of progressing the story, so the feeling you were left with was "what the heck is going on?" instead of "ohh...this is the story!"

I think dracula wasn't that great simply because it wasn't that great lol. It was more an action movie vs horror. Sounds like crimson peak is gonna be 3d and more so supernatural. Just the background alone seems to lend itself to being a much better house than Dracula.

I agree with both of these statements. I also rarely watch Walking Dead but I've been able to follow what was going on in the mazes (and on Terror Tram). I did see Dracula Untold last year after going to HHN, and thought it was just "okay." It's definitely more action than horror- reminded me of the Brendan Fraser "Mummy" films. I'd watch it again though. But I did see a video of the maze after seeing the film to compare the scenes from the maze to the film, and while I could somewhat make out what was going on story-wise, a lot of it still left me scratching my head.

On the other hand, Insidious scared the crap out of me in 2013, and I'm so happy that it's coming back this year! What makes that maze so great in my opinion is the atmosphere that the material lends itself to (of course, the storyline helps too)...so I feel that Crimson Peak could definitely pull that off by just having a really creepy and immersive environment, even if no one quite understands the storyline early on in the event.

1330946665_HHN2015.jpg.25b1d254b3c887c21c8cec8ef808ba43.jpg

AMC’s “The Walking Dead” Returns to “Halloween Horror Nights” at Universal Studios Hollywood and Universal Orlando Resort, Unleashing the Terror of Season 5 Upon the Country’s Most Extreme and Highly-Anticipated Halloween Events

niversal City, Ca., Orlando, Fla., July 30, 2015 — The nation’s insatiable appetite for AMC’s “The Walking Dead” will continue to terrify Universal Studios Hollywood and Universal Orlando Resort when the most intense moments from season 5 of the critically-acclaimed, Emmy Award®-winning television series take a bite out of “Halloween Horror Nights,” beginning Friday, September 18, 2015.

Attempts to evade the terror of the undead and the inhumane brutality of mankind will be the underlying theme of these mazes as guests navigate authentic three-dimensional recreations of one of television’s most talked about shows, “The Walking Dead.”

Following in the footsteps of “The Walking Dead” cast, guests will begin their journey at the Terminus safe-haven compound, where an unspeakable hunger has consumed the demented souls of those dwelling within. As the chaos ensues, guests will encounter even greater atrocities as they stumble upon dismembered “W” walkers, witness the horror of victims besieged by the living dead, and step onto the loading dock of the Del Arno Food warehouse to face hordes of “W” walkers.

“I couldn't be more delighted to continue and expand 'The Walking Dead' universe with Universal Studios Hollywood and Universal Orlando than by having fans experience some of the most harrowing and suspenseful moments of our show," said Greg Nicotero, executive producer and special effects makeup supervisor for "The Walking Dead." "‘Halloween Horror Nights’ is the gold standard to which all other Halloween-themed events try to emulate, so to bring authentic walkers to this event, alongside other horror greats, is the ultimate thrill.”

“We love giving fans of ‘The Walking Dead’ as many ways as possible to experience the series, so we’re thrilled to be collaborating once again with the teams at Universal Studios Hollywood and Universal Orlando on these mazes that really bring the intensity of the show to life,” said Theresa Beyer, senior vice president of promotion, activation and partnerships for AMC. “We’re excited to have fans come face to face with some of the most memorable and shocking scenes of season 5.”

This year, when Universal Studios Hollywood introduces the all-original “The Walking Dead: Wolves Not Far,” it will come to life as the biggest, longest, most gruesome maze ever built at the West Coast destination of “Halloween Horror Nights.” This all-new experience will feature twice as many, never-before-seen walkers and will be situated within an entirely new theme park location.

“Just like the fans who wait anxiously for the next episode or season return of ‘The Walking Dead,’ this phenom of a show has become a ‘Halloween Horror Nights’ tradition and our guests look forward to a new ‘Walking Dead’ maze each year,” said John Murdy, Creative Director at Universal Studios Hollywood and Executive Producer of “Halloween Horror Nights.” “We’re fortunate to have the expertise of the show’s creative team working collaboratively with us to create an authentic living representation of the series, and for fans, our maze experience is the next best thing to living in the aftermath of a zombie apocalypse.”

Universal Orlando’s “The Walking Dead” maze will feature hordes of walkers and eerily recreate the scenes, settings and terror that guests have seen on their TV screens. The twisted minds of Universal Orlando’s Halloween Horror Nights team are using first-ever tactics to bring the horror of season 5 to life in this year’s maze – even placing guests in the iconic flooded food bank scene where they’ll be surrounded by hundreds of gallons of water as flesh-hungry walkers attack.

“We’ve been fortunate to recreate many horrific moments over the past few years, and as the series raises its own bar every season, so have we with our environments, said Michael Aiello, Director of Creative Development for Universal Orlando’s Entertainment team. “Faithfully representing season 5 has brought with it all-new elements, and we will literally place our guests in the lead role as they escape hordes of walkers.”

Universal’s “Halloween Horror Nights” is the ultimate in extreme Halloween events. For more than 20 years, guests from around the world have visited “Halloween Horror Nights” in Orlando and Hollywood to become victims of their own horror movie. Multiple movie-quality haunted houses are constructed throughout the event, inspired by iconic slasher films, hit horror movies and television series or hauntingly real original stories. Numerous scare zones also infiltrate “Halloween Horror Nights,” designed to provoke an unrelenting sense of fear and terrorize guests as they navigate the darkness from one frightening maze to another.

Additional details about Universal’s “Halloween Horror Nights” will be revealed soon. For more information about “Halloween Horror Nights” at Universal Studios Hollywood or Universal Orlando Resort, visit www.HalloweenHorrorNights.com.

To learn more about the all-new “The Walking Dead” maze at “Halloween Horror Nights,” click

I might be alone with this statement but I'm over the Walking Dead. I would've been OK with last year being the last year for Walking Dead being a part of Horror Nights.

I don't think you're entirely alone in thinking this.

Of the commercial tie-ins announced so far, I think Walking Dead is the best choice so far. I think the property lends itself far more easily to be recreated in a spectacle that Universal can do well with. Last year, the real walking dead was that incredible line on the lower lot! When you look over that sea of humanity waiting in that massive line, that is my idea of a horror night.

I might be alone with this statement but I'm over the Walking Dead. I would've been OK with last year being the last year for Walking Dead being a part of Horror Nights.

I don't think you're entirely alone in thinking this.

Glad to hear. It's the "Frozen" of the Haunt industry....

God damn it, USH.

ElCPi.gif

I figured the public response of complete boredom and crickets towards Walking Dead last year would have tipped you off. I'm not wasting my time and money on a ticket this year. I'll go to Queen Mary instead.

The brand is still absurdly popular...I think the problem with last years was that even the average guest figured out it was mostly the same maze as the year prior. This one is being touted as the largest maze in HHN's history, so hopefully that means an all new maze.

I don't watch the show, so to me it's just another zombie themed maze that I hope will have impressive visuals. Last year the only part that impressed me was the rock wall thing.

I don't watch the show, so to me it's just another zombie themed maze that I hope will have impressive visuals. Last year the only part that impressed me was the rock wall thing.

Same with me when I walked through the Florida version last year. I did like the part through the forest that used a lot of strobe-light effects.

Since we've last checked in, they have announced two new items:

halloween_2015.png.d044a72742c54994dc9ac397509658f3.png

Halloween again. Seen at USH in 2009 and Orlando last year.

jabbawockeez.png.c5fc45279d4a9fcbd6efc87f148987c6.png

Jabbawockeez finding a home while moving in Vegas