TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Studios Hollywood (USH) Discussion Thread

HoH was very very stupid. I'll be happy with basically anything else even if its a bathroom.

When did you last go through? My first visit was pretty bad. The sets were cool but there was a severe lack of actors. My second and third trips were like a whole different experience! The second and third visits were after they changed the policy so the house is only open for an hour and a half at a time, allowing the cast to take breaks together and have the house be full of actors when the public is allowed in.

House of Horrors consistently has 10+ performers now. The park has definitely made an effort to enhance the experience as much as possible from previous years. It was nothing spectacular, but since there aren't many year round haunts around it will still be sad to see it go if the rumor is true.

^ Yup. It wasn't anything standout but it certainly was a fun experience every time I've visited.

At least it wasn't as bad as the House Of Horrors in Movieland Studios. The look on Ken's face says it all -

• 2 weeks later...

I never had the chance to experience it during my one visit to the park a few years back, but from what I understand it was pretty tired. Given Universal's spending and quality habits when it comes to updating their parks in the last few years, I'm sure whatever will replace the House of Horrors will be a quality addition.

I think they made a mistake keeping the Walking Dead as the headlining property for the event this year. The popularity of the show has died off significantly from last year. I know a lot of people who used to watch the show religiously who just don't care any more. BUT the maze was one of the best mazes from last year so it still has the potential to shine. I think they dropped the ball with the Purge as a liscened property. Its ripe for something a bit bigger then just a scarezone.

^16.1 million people tuned in to the season 4 premiere. I don't know if I'd call that a decline in popularity. It still is the most-watched television drama in cable history, but I am ready for something new. Walking Dead is becoming long in the tooth for a third year. I would be extremely disappointed if they brought it back for a fourth year...especially since next year is HHN's tenth anniversary.

^Technically HHN is already way past it's 10th year with the past versions of the event going back as far as 1997.

^^Universal is just the distributor with first rights to blumhouse productions. I imagine with Blumhouse doing their own Purge experience tour this year and their own house in downtown LA the past two years, they didn't want a maze at HHN eating into their own business.

From a marketing standpoint, even if Walking Dead is not as "hot" (my facebook timeline would disgree with you though---the comic con trailer was definitely a trending item), it still has more marketing power than a generic zombie maze.

I LOVED the Resident Evil house. The scale of the sets were awesome. Wasn't scary, but it really was like being in the middle of the game. Complete with the Helicopter from Kong!

I think they made a mistake keeping the Walking Dead as the headlining property for the event this year. The popularity of the show has died off significantly from last year.

The show has gained viewers each and every year.

The season 1 premiere had 5.4 Million views and the finale had 6 Million. By it's most recent season (Season 4), those numbers were up to 12.1 Million for the premier and 15.8 Million for the finale.

So to say the popularity of the show has died off would not be accurate.

I'll admit, after going to my first HHN last year in Orlando, that zombies are not that scary in most cases. There were some scares to be had in the house, but the scarezones were very mild and not scary for the most part. Was cool as a fan of the show to walk through iconic scenes and whatnot, but it just didn't work as an overall theme.

That being said however, I am excited to see them keeping the branding at both parks as it will give the hardcore fans a chance to relive their favorite moments in the flesh.

Dracula Untold has been announced for both HHN's

This is the press release for Orlando's which I can only assume will be the same (mostly) for Hollywood

If you thought that Dracula had been banished for good, think again.

I’m excited to bring you the fourth house reveal for Halloween Horror Nights 24—an all-new house that is inspired by Universal Pictures’ upcoming epic action-adventure, Dracula Untold. The film comes out October 17, but you can experience a living preview of it at Halloween Horror Nights, starting September 19.

This house takes you through the terrifying origin of the man who became Dracula. Each room contains gothic scenes that highlight Vlad the Impaler’s transition into the bloodthirsty creature.

As you enter the house, you’ll see firsthand the frightening cave that Dracula first emerged from on his path to damnation. The house becomes especially eerie as you progress through a destroyed village and into the woods on the way to Dracula’s foreboding castle. In the final scene, you’ll come face-to-face with Dracula’s victims: those who were impaled and who begged to be saved before he took their last breath.

Each turn in this new house presents a horrifying experience straight out of the movie, including the war between Dracula and the attacking Turks. Dracula is here, and his thirst for blood is never-ending.

No prisoners will be spared this year at Halloween Horror Nights 24. Will you be able to make it out alive? Grab your tickets and find out.

Source: http://blog.universalorlando.com/whats-new/dracula-untold-hhn24/

• 2 weeks later...
(8/28/14) Inside Universal reports that the historic Soundstage 28 on the Universal backlot will be closed and demolished. If you’ve taken the tour over the years you may have heard of Soundstage 28 as being the location where the original “The Phantom of the Opera” was shot. Many famous films were shot here over the years before they closed it down, as it has set idol for years, still containing some of the Phantom sets left inside to this day. Popular rumor on the backlot was that Soundstage 28 was haunted.

Since Soundstage 28 is large and located next to the attractions area of the theme park on the lower lot, immediately to the left of the Transformers building, the general assumption is that the space may be used in the future to expand the theme park, but nothing has been confirmed yet. Check out the report at Inside Universal and all their pictures of the famous Stoundstage 28.

http://www.screamscape.com/html/universal_studios_hollywood.htm

http://insideuniversal.net/2014/08/historic-stage-28-set-to-close/

Sound Stage 28 (Phantom of The Opera Stage) To Be Demolished For More Theme Park Expansion.

As it upgrades its production facilities and expands its theme park, Universal Studios is planning to demolish Stage 28, one of the oldest on the lot, while preserving a 90-year-old set housed in the space and used in the original 1925 silent film “Phantom of the Opera.”

Universal’s plans were unveiled in a newsletter sent to employees last week, but rumors of the soundstage’s removal have spurred a petition drive, with nearly 2,000 signatures urging the studio to save it.

The studio, however, said that the “difficult decision” to remove the stage, built in 1924, came down to logistical challenges. For one, noise is an issue, as it is located just next to Universal’s Transformers theme park attraction.

“It was determined that the amount of investment needed to upgrade this stage will be better used in the future to bring additional production capabilities to the lot,” Universal said in the newsletter. The area will be cleared to make way for theme park expansion.

Universal said that it was in the midst of a multimillion-dollar preservation effort to save the set from “Phantom of the Opera,” above, and move it to another location. The studio is in discussions with museums and institutions, hoping that it will be accessible for public view wherever it ends up. Universal says that 50% or less of the set is from its original construction, with sections altered from the ’30s to the ’60s.

“Initially, we were unsure if the set, with portions that are nearly ninety years old, could be removed and reassembled in a new home,” the studio said in the newsletter. “Now, with the help of a team of expert preservationists, our own archivists, forensics and some amazing 21st century tools like three-dimensional imaging, we have begun the delicate and precise work of ensuring that much of this set becomes accessible and a lasting part of film history.”

Stage 28 is not the oldest on the lot. Three buildings — stages 3&4, 5&6 and 16&17 — were constructed in 1916.

Studio representatives briefed officials from organizations including the American Film Institute and Hollywood Heritage Museum on their plans, and have contacted the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences, which is planning to create a motion picture museum at Wilshire Boulevard and Fairfax Avenue.

Bryan Cooper, president of the Hollywood Heritage Museum, said that their focus has been to save historic studio buildings from demolition, and asked if the stage could be preserved and the set featured as part of the studio tour.

But he said that, from his discussions with Universal executives, it came down to an issue of real estate as it remakes its property.

“I see both sides of it, honestly,” he said.

SEE ALSO: Universal Veers From Superhero Trend for a Monster Plan

But he gave Universal credit for making the effort to save the set, a rare surviving set piece from the silent era. “The fact that they are taking the time to find a home for it says a lot,” he said. “They are spending a lot of money to preserve this. They could have easily dismantled it and be done with it.”

During the 1970s, studios razed many of their backlot sets, most famously MGM in Culver City, where sets for “Showboat” and the Tarzan movies gave way to residential real estate development. Universal has had reason to save parts of its backlot, as locations for movies like “Psycho” have long been part of the tour, though some facades have been moved to new spots on the lot.

Among the movies that also have shot on Universal’s Paris Opera House set are “Dracula,” a 1943 remake of “Phantom,” “Man of a Thousand Faces” and “The Sting.” Rumors of the planned demolition of the soundstage were posted on numerous blogs this week, including Inside Universal and the Studio Tour.

The studio said that it is investing $500 million on the lot over the next five years, including the recently opened Tom Brokaw News Center. Its expansion plans for its theme park include a the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, currently under construction and expected to open in 2016.

Universal has not announced a date for when the stage will be demolished, as it first will require asbestos removal. It also plans to put the set in storage in the interim.

The studio also is making a documentary on the preservation effort, which it says will be “an invaluable tool in helping future historians understand how film sets were constructed, used, and altered during the first six decades of Hollywood filmmaking.”

http://variety.com/2014/artisans/news/universal-to-demolish-phantom-of-the-opera-soundstage-but-preserve-silent-films-set-1201292227/

A few things/questions:

Is anyone planning on hitting up the park Friday, before WCB? PM me and maybe we can meet up.

Next, while I have been to USH before, I cannot remember it at all, so it will be almost like going the first time. Should we expect it to be light crowds, medium, or busy? Since the holiday weekend is this weekend I am hoping that pulls some of the crowds away from next weekend.

Also, should there be a plan of attack for hitting up mostly everything on a friday if we get there at opening and stay most of the day? When is best to do the tour? Anything that is a "must-ride" or "must-do" for a "first timer"?

Thanks guys!