TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Studios Hollywood (USH) Discussion Thread

^Thanks, I'm checking out the Orlando event next weekend and this show is usually one of the highlights of my trip. This whole situation is really bizarre, people are way too sensitive. Heaven forbid there are adult jokes at an adult themed Halloween event.

It's sad and Ironic that Universal cancelled the show to get out of the path of a storm of bad press. 2 days ago if you typed in Bill and Ted on google, you'd get 2 or 3 articles about the show, now every major and non major news source is publishing about it, and everyone is going along with the idea the show was complete trash, and homophobic.

And I think this is why Universal had to go down the road of cancelling the show. I'm sure that was the LAST thing they wanted to do, but all this press and additional pressure by stupid people makes companies have to do things they really would rather not.

And it's not just the public backlash that Universal has to respond to. Remember that Universal has corporate partners and alliances, Coca-Cola, American Express, Nestle, etc, that they also have to keep in mind. Do they run the risk of keeping the show going and it continuing to get hammered by the press who are now going to the show just LOOKING for things to write about, and then it starts to drag those corporate partners into the bad light as well?

Most of us here have seen the show. If someone from the press went into it LOOKING for something to bash the show about, I'm sure they could find PLENTY of things.

I'd put a Las Vegas bet on the fact that Universal Hollywood just didn't want that kind of witch hunt and is the main reason behind why they pulled the plug. I also have to think that Universal Orlando is far enough removed that they were able to keep the show, but at the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if all of a sudden we saw some crazy press appear about the Orlando show accusing it of some other issues.

Again, it just goes back to my whole disappointment with society and humanity.

Also want to send a "thank you" out to our members who were able to voice their opinion in a more sane manner. I want to make it very clear that we do NOT ban members for having a difference of opinion, we ban members who are unable to control themselves and their attitude when posting their opinions. Sorry to have to raise my voice to some people, but it's our site and our rules. If you don't like that, you most certainly don't have to post or read TPR.

Thanks for your understanding!

--Robb

I don't know if this has been asked or not, but I am just curious,

as to how long this "Bill & Ted" show had/has been playing, with the

annual Haunts at the parks? Before this recent cancellation happened?

^ It opened with the haunt event the last week of September. Bill & Ted is a different show every year, but with the same theme. It has been playing at Halloween Horror Nights from it's very early years in Orlando (20ish years), and I think it started playing in Hollywood in 2007.

Edited by robbalvey

I went last night, and it was sad to see silence and darkness where B & T was. At least Chucky was flying the flag for political incorrectness with the re-booted insult emporium and was in good form when I went by. One of the girl's in my VIP group was a prime target.

Enough with the issue that has been discussed at length, my take on everything that wasn't cancelled.

Walking Dead was even better than last year, with some great set pieces. And running the gauntlet through the WD scare zone when you get off the tram was great. It was also nice to see another part of the lot, well done.

13 was much better than I expected. It was like the best bits of the Alice Cooper mazes, and 1000 Corpses rolled into one maze with some new elements as well, I liked it and thought it came out well.

Insidious and Evil Dead really worked, and I enjoyed Monsters Remixed; it was even better than last year. El Cucuy wasn't bad at all.

Some of the Scare Zones were a little anonymous at times, but the mazes were all great fun. The VIP lounge food was awesome this year, seafood and a lovely Lobster and Crab risotto among the goodies. The VIP tour was a quantum leap from last year, lots of stuff happening.

From a media standpoint, the funny thing about all of this is by Universal Studios canceling the show they've actually created a "Streisand Effect"

I've never seen the show, but saw the USO one two nights ago and really enjoyed it so I can't pass judgement on the actual content. But, from a marketing, PR standpoint they could have just as easily done nothing and it would have blown over. Using google trends, and google news searches there are significantly more articles about the show being cancelled than the one by the huffington post (which is a site that trolls stuff like this for page views/clicks)... just sayin.

-christian

Using google trends, and google news searches there are significantly more articles about the show being cancelled than the one by the huffington post

So what you're just sayin is that there are significantly more articles about Halloween Horror Nights than there was prior to the show being cancelled?

Maybe the Universal Studios PR and Marketing team aren't as dumb as you think.

FYI - It was this article by Vice.com that started the whole thing, not Huffington Post: http://www.vice.com/read/the-bill-and-ted-show-at-universal-studios-is-super-homophobic-and-also-racist-and-terrible

Edited by robbalvey

^It started with vice? That seems legit. They are page view whores all day (Off topic: but if anyone wants to check out something interesting, but slightly overzealous, check out their North Korea videos. They are worth the watch). But yeah, I guess you could skew it as any publicity is good publicity on Universal's part. Still not sure I'd personally handle it that way. I wouldn't want "homophobic show" and my company's name becoming national headlines which is what appeared to happen after they decided to cancel it. I can only find three articles before they decided to cancel..

-christian "I'll leave it to the professional pr people to decide what the best way to handle it was, just sharing my opinion as always " con

I think Universal made the right move. Even if cancelling the show gets a lot of attention, it's better that people know that the park is a place that is free of dated homophobic stereotypes. USH is about to spend a lot of money developing the park and it's not worth alienated a portion of it's guests that would think it supports this kind of entertainment.

I've never seen the show so I can't say but based on racism/sexism I think they really stepped over the lines. Love at First Fright for example has pop culture references but doesn't have the race jokes (They did make a "Because I'm green" joke) so I hope they get rid of the racism and tone down the sexism if they ever do the show again (Probably under a different name).

If you haven't seen the show, it's hard ton understand how the whole thing works. Without the sex, the show would not be the show. It mocks everyone and is sexist towards both woman and men so it works.

Have you ever seen Tosh.0? It's the closest thing in mainstream media that I can think of.

I've never seen the show so I can't say but based on racism/sexism I think they really stepped over the lines. Love at First Fright for example has pop culture references but doesn't have the race jokes (They did make a "Because I'm green" joke) so I hope they get rid of the racism and tone down the sexism if they ever do the show again (Probably under a different name).

I have seen the show...on both coast this year...I, personally, dont feel anything stepped over the line. If we dont find a way to laugh at what we deem as problems we are all gonna explode! But how can you say they stepped over the line but you have never seen the show? Superman gets splashed with fairy dust and **BAM** becomes jack from "will & grace"! Does anyone find jack's character on that show to be the producers being homophobic? As a black man should I be offended at the "black people cant swim" or when they insuaited the black dude was gonna die first? Nope! I thought it was hilarious! But then again, I never go to a rock concert and get offended when they actually play rock music...

But look at shows like south park and family guy that target pretty much anything, though there are controversies they seem to treat everything as fair game and pick on things equally and they can put out a show the next week because people will just nod and accept it because they know what type of show it is. Bill&Ted seems the same, everything is fair game meant for entertainment because they expect their visitors to know what type of show it is and it's being unfairly treated because someone saw it and expected something that it wasn't. The people who have seen the show and had no problems seeing them make fun of britney spears mental issues but suddenly think the show has crossed some line this time are really hypocritical, its like those people who will watch south park for years but then get upset at an episode of south park because it made fun of sexual harassment and they have been sexually harassed in the past but will happily have laughed at jokes at jews/gingers/ fat people etc. in the past. If we eliminate everything because one of the subjects might offend some-one TV would practically be empty. Bye-bye downton abbey you're stereotyping British people and as a British person that offends me. goodbye homeland, you made some Iranians look like terrorists and some Iranians don't like it etc etc.

Heard from a very reliable source that the cast and crew of the show were paid in full until the remainder of the event.

That's good.

I was wondering that myself. I'm glad that the cast and crew are getting paid, as none of this mess is their fault.

Haven't seen it so I can't comment on the show, but I have always loved Bill & Ted. (We all know they were gay for each other from the beginning anyway.) Now David perhaps you misunderstood what was happening in the video. I don't know. But I do know that I am very sorry for what happened. Nobody should have to deal with what you went through. I'm gay and I was beaten in a church because they thought they were casting the gay demon out of me. Broke 3 ribs and gave me permanent issues with my left hip. I still struggle to forgive them.

It's important to remember that people don't just get over a traumatic event. (Tell a girl who was raped to grow some balls and see how that goes.) I was beat up and I still deal with it. That said I'm not easily offended. I agree for ones own happiness we should not be easily offended. But fact is Gay people are just now starting to really get our deserved rights. Honestly there is going to be a time of OVER correction, and then a settling. Look at the past and you'll see what I'm saying. Fact is gay stereotypes are and will always be offensive to some. We are still trying to figure out where that LINE is. Do we need to lighten up some. Hell's YES! Give it time and we will.

Now was the answer to up and cancel the show. Probably not. But a rewrite? From a business standpoint most likely yes. People are touchy with gay stereotypes and do you know why? Because we have had so many, and I mean SO MANY negative images of ourselves in the media. Negative images without the positive ones to balance it out. Were tired of it and because of that there can and will be knee jerk reactions. Were just now getting acceptance and we don't want to lose it. Its like a dog. Hit it enough eventually it will bite.

Now I am not claiming that the show was homophobic. In fact I'm sure it was funny. But don't be surprised people are touchy. Now as for me, well you can say whatever you want I don't care. LoL I make offensive gay jokes all the time. It's a way of saying this doesn't have power over me. But I believe real homophobia is when a person actually hates a gay person or is scared of them. Not because they tell a stupid joke or have a uneducated belief. Actually to all you other gays out there it's kind of up to us. We have to be the example. We have to take the high road. Sometimes that means not being easily offended. And seriously thank you to all the straight people who are supportive and open minded. You're beyond important and a huge part of what makes change! It's because of you guys and gals that the world is changing.

Sorry if I got preachy. My dad's a pastor so it's in my blood!

Wow...just getting caught up on this thread. Definitely a lot of emotions on this one!

I know many of you could probably care less about my opinion, but I'm going to give it anyway...

I think that the show would be a real hoot to see because I don't tend to get offended easily, but I could see where it might offend the thin-skinned (seemingly 90% of today's US society) or someone that may have been through a very traumatic ordeal where a sore subject may be sparked by just one scene or instance in a show - even if projected in a relatively light, campy sort of way.

I have to agree with Moose in that I think that some of these pro-gay groups might be going the way of PETA with some of their recent "extremely offended" stances they are taking on what is simple skit humor or going crazy over something that just doesn't seem that offensive to most people.

I have to wonder if the reaction would have been the same if the show was airing at a gay friendly venue at say P-Town or Key West? I have seen a few gay themed shows in P-Town and Ogunquit where the characters play what is many times a "stereo-typical gay" and the mostly gay audience just delights in it and will be bowling over in laughter. But if you take away the predominantly gay audience away and throw in a ton of straight people laughing at the same gay character, all of a sudden it becomes offensive? Are gays the only one's allowed to laugh at a skit aimed at fem gay man or butch lesbians? I certainly don't think so.

Yes, there would be some homophobes that would laugh at it in a negative light, but I give Universal the props for just having the balls to introduce a gay character or two into one of their live Halloween shows. Perhaps they thought it might be the liberal thing to do, but unfortunately that risk blew up in their face thanks to our lovely media and thin-skinned society.

I say put the gays out there in any way shape or form and develop a comfort zone for those who may not know a gay person. Even though a lot of the gay community thinks that every straight person's persona of a gay is a swishy boy or woman with short hair wearing flannel, there are more and more of us that know that it doesn't exemplify the entire LGBT community. This is becoming more and more visible for the straight crowd and will become increasingly more evident in the future.

Personally, I hope that they don't cancel the show in Florida as I wouldn't mind seeing it someday. I was never overly impressed with Bill & Ted's movies, but this show does sound quite funny and entertaining.

Glad to hear the cast is still getting paid too.

Ultimately the writers of the article got what they wanted (attention) and backed universal into a corner where they could do no right. Do nothing? They keep whining. Acknowledge them and stand up for the product? They keep whining. Re- write the show so late into the run? Destroy all the hard work so many people already put into the show. Cancel it? Get bad pr.

It was no win. At least by canceling it, it shows what damage people can do when they are irresponsible with their "voice." I'm glad the writers got criticism and universal got support.