TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Studios Hollywood (USH) Discussion Thread

Maybe they can hire better writers to figure out clever new ways to marginalize minorities via stereotypes!

So what's next, banning the Rocky Horror Picture Show because it depicts negative stereotypes of gays? Funny how it's been around for decades and I've never heard anybody suggest that. Quite the contrary, gays love it. In fact, the gay rights organization at the local university even sponsors a showing of it every year! (But I guess the difference between Pennsylvania and California is that our liberals aren't so dogmatic as to be incapable of rational thought.)

^ Perfectly good point. It's like I said, I don't believe this has anything to do with the show, really. It has more to do with people just wanting to create drama, probably because they have nothing better to do, or to promote their own personal agenda. Like David, where he completely fabricates the notion that there was any "violence" done towards gay Superman to promote whatever his personal "gaybashing agenda" might be.

David, sorry you were gay bashed at one point in your life. Don't take it out on Universal Studios and attempt to use their Bill & Ted show as an example for your crusade. That's just dumb.

--Robb "I'm more offended by David's post than ANYTHING I've seen in the Bill & Ted show." Alvey

Edited by robbalvey

I feel like that all these articles that are supposed to condemn Bill&Ted are just giving it more publicity, I've never seen the movies and though always wanted to visit a HHN at one of the parks i've never really been interested in Bill&Ted since I don't think it's at either of the parks that's on the cheaper side for me to fly to (Japan &Singapore), the more articles I read and the more I chuckle at some of the jokes they point out from this years show (the thing about coreys ghost) or previous ones, makes me think I need to get out to Florida in a few years when i can afford it and check out the remaining show if it comes back.

Rocky Horror is certainly offensive but it's viewed as a 'classic' now. Generations of people before have found it funny so if I stood up now and said it was crossing the line like this one guy did with Bill&Ted, my statement wouldn't get enough leverage because I'd be going against a lot of people who view it as legendary/essential to our culture. Similarly, Blazing Saddles by Mel Brooks. That sort of movie is considered a classic, so when you watch it and you hear all the racy humor, you just shrug it off and say, 'Well it's a classic!'

Regardless, it really frustrates me that this show has been cancelled for this.

Maybe they can hire better writers to figure out clever new ways to marginalize minorities via stereotypes!

So what's next, banning the Rocky Horror Picture Show because it depicts negative stereotypes of gays? Funny how it's been around for decades and I've never heard anybody suggest that. Quite the contrary, gays love it. In fact, the gay rights organization at the local university even sponsors a showing of it every year! (But I guess the difference between Pennsylvania and California is that our liberals aren't so dogmatic as to be incapable of rational thought.)

Congrats on missing my point!!!

OMG! Give me a f**king break! First of all David, you're lying. There was NO VIOLENCE TOWARDS GAYS IN THE SHOW OR GAYBASHING WHATSOEVER!

Here's is a complete transcript of the Gay Superman part of the show:

In this year's play, Bill & Ted are transported to the Land of Oz via tornado (or as they call it, the "ghost of Cory Monteith") where they encounter Superman who promises to help them fight the evil witches of Oz. This all goes awry when Superman accidentally gets dusted with "fairy dust" by one of the witches and becomes gay.

After becoming gay, Superman's voice and posture changes. His lips purse, his toes point inward, and his wrists become limp. His new voice sounds like a homophobic uncle doing a drunken impression of Richard Simmons, complete with lisps and frequent use of the word "faaaaaaabulous!" [...]

Obviously, now that Superman is gay, he is not going to be of any use to them. "Who could possibly make a worse Superman?" asks Bill. "Ben Affleck?" responds Ted.

Then, because Superman is now gay, he minces over to Bill and Ted, blows kisses at them, and slaps Ted on the A$$. As he does this, Bill and Ted say "awwww dude!" with disgusted voices.

After a few more attempts at molesting Bill and Ted, Superman ends up aboard the Starship Enterprise, where he runs into Superman villain General Zod. General Zod tells Superman to get on his knees. Because Superman is now gay, he assumes this is an invitation to give Zod oral sex. "Finally!" he squeals.

Also aboard the Starship Enterprise, the gang runs into George Takei. Because George Takei is gay too, he and Superman share an instant mutual attraction. "Who's your friend?" asks George, in the same lisping, gay-minstrel voice that Superman uses.

Before Bill and/or Ted can answer, Superman interrupts by yelling "Hey daddy!" to George...George and Superman disappear to have sex. "Time to boldly go where no man has gone before!" says George, as they exit the stage.

This is the last we see of Superman in the play.

Tell me where ANY of this is that offensive?

Seriously, David, shut up. Lighten up and get a sense of humor.

The show ran for several weeks without any issue at all until ONE idiot with a very loud voice felt the need to make a big deal out of it, and then all the idiot sheep in the world felt the need to jump on that bandwagon because they have an internet connection, a keyboard, and an uneducated voice to speak with.

And that resulted in Universal closing the show. I personally don't put any blame on Universal. I put the blame on society and people like David who are making comments and exaggerating stories either without having a clue what they are talking about, or to somehow feed into their own personal agenda, both have absolutely NOTHING to do with the show.

It's just sad what society has become.

Robb, I frankly never expected you to understand my point of view or to agree with it. We can agree to disagree. Or you can agree to mock me. Whatever.

However, I wasn't lying. I didn't exaggerate anything. You're incorrect that there was no violence against gays whatsoever in the show. It was right in the show, which I saw the clip from, before Universal took it down. I don't know if you saw the clip before it was taken down, but I did. And I'd have appreciated if you'd actually checked on the facts before publicly calling me a liar. I may disagree with people, but I don't need to lie to make my point. I thought you've known me long enough to know that.

The "transcript" leaves out the assault on Superman that happens after the "finally" oral sex joke. It was six punches, a knee and a headbutt. To me that qualifies as "VIOLENCE TOWARDS GAYS IN THE SHOW". We can fairly debate whether it qualifies as "GAYBASHING WHATSOEVER," though I don't expect you to agree with me.

Here is a short clip of the assault, while it lasts. Universal has been taking these videos down as soon as they appear, so it may be gone soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIotVYQs8SU

Exactly. They called out superman to help them fight the villains...of which general zod is!

But to your flawed logic: is universal encouraging violence towards women when a male character "kills" a female character?

OMG! Give me a f**king break! First of all David, you're lying. There was NO VIOLENCE TOWARDS GAYS IN THE SHOW OR GAYBASHING WHATSOEVER!

Here's is a complete transcript of the Gay Superman part of the show:

In this year's play, Bill & Ted are transported to the Land of Oz via tornado (or as they call it, the "ghost of Cory Monteith") where they encounter Superman who promises to help them fight the evil witches of Oz. This all goes awry when Superman accidentally gets dusted with "fairy dust" by one of the witches and becomes gay.

After becoming gay, Superman's voice and posture changes. His lips purse, his toes point inward, and his wrists become limp. His new voice sounds like a homophobic uncle doing a drunken impression of Richard Simmons, complete with lisps and frequent use of the word "faaaaaaabulous!" [...]

Obviously, now that Superman is gay, he is not going to be of any use to them. "Who could possibly make a worse Superman?" asks Bill. "Ben Affleck?" responds Ted.

Then, because Superman is now gay, he minces over to Bill and Ted, blows kisses at them, and slaps Ted on the A$$. As he does this, Bill and Ted say "awwww dude!" with disgusted voices.

After a few more attempts at molesting Bill and Ted, Superman ends up aboard the Starship Enterprise, where he runs into Superman villain General Zod. General Zod tells Superman to get on his knees. Because Superman is now gay, he assumes this is an invitation to give Zod oral sex. "Finally!" he squeals.

Also aboard the Starship Enterprise, the gang runs into George Takei. Because George Takei is gay too, he and Superman share an instant mutual attraction. "Who's your friend?" asks George, in the same lisping, gay-minstrel voice that Superman uses.

Before Bill and/or Ted can answer, Superman interrupts by yelling "Hey daddy!" to George...George and Superman disappear to have sex. "Time to boldly go where no man has gone before!" says George, as they exit the stage.

This is the last we see of Superman in the play.

Tell me where ANY of this is that offensive?

Seriously, David, shut up. Lighten up and get a sense of humor.

The show ran for several weeks without any issue at all until ONE idiot with a very loud voice felt the need to make a big deal out of it, and then all the idiot sheep in the world felt the need to jump on that bandwagon because they have an internet connection, a keyboard, and an uneducated voice to speak with.

And that resulted in Universal closing the show. I personally don't put any blame on Universal. I put the blame on society and people like David who are making comments and exaggerating stories either without having a clue what they are talking about, or to somehow feed into their own personal agenda, both have absolutely NOTHING to do with the show.

It's just sad what society has become.

Robb, I frankly never expected you to understand my point of view or to agree with it. We can agree to disagree. Or you can agree to mock me. Whatever.

However, I wasn't lying. I didn't exaggerate anything. You're incorrect that there was no violence against gays whatsoever in the show. It was right in the show, which I saw the clip from, before Universal took it down. I don't know if you saw the clip before it was taken down, but I did. And I'd have appreciated if you'd actually checked on the facts before publicly calling me a liar. I may disagree with people, but I don't need to lie to make my point. I thought you've known me long enough to know that.

The "transcript" leaves out the assault on Superman that happens after the "finally" oral sex joke. It was six punches, a knee and a headbutt. To me that qualifies as "VIOLENCE TOWARDS GAYS IN THE SHOW". We can fairly debate whether it qualifies as "GAYBASHING WHATSOEVER," though I don't expect you to agree with me.

Here is a short clip of the assault, while it lasts. Universal has been taking these videos down as soon as they appear, so it may be gone soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIotVYQs8SU

David - I don't feel like arguing about it, and I'm not agreeing to disagree. I'm telling you that you are wrong. Whatever crusade you are on about gaybashing will stop RIGHT NOW. If you post again on this subject you will be banned from TPR forever. Have I made myself clear?

--Robb "I'm not going to tolerate someone going off on their own tirade to promote whatever their personal agenda is." Alvey

^ Uh isn't he being beaten up by the villain from the Superman movie? Like what happens in the movie? They fight?

Exactly. The scene that keeps being taken out of context is actually just lifted and parodied from Superman II, where Superman is portrayed as a straight guy and gets his ASS KICKED by General Zod! I'm offended, and will be writing a blog post directed at Warner Bros that the film should be removed from distribution for "straight bashing." I will also be pulling select clips from the film, out of context, to prove my point. How DARE General Zod beat up a straight guy!!! OUTRAGE!!!

--Robb "See how completely ridiculous that sounds?" Alvey

Edited by robbalvey

This show is all about the exploitation of both women and men's bodies and cheap inappropriate humor.

If the superman in Hollywood was as omg hot as the one on Florida this would be awesome because it would show off more of his skin then the full body costume he had on in Florida (minus the cheat that "tore" away.

In the Florida one Superman and the male Leiah (or maybe it was Adam Levine, I can't remember) hook up. It's subtle but it was there.

Kanye threw away a baby because it was a girl. Countless people were hit or killed. Justin bieber was portrayed by a girl. Someone was made fun of for being a virgin. The show is chock full of countless things that taken out of context could send some group up in arms.

PS I love the joke that Ben Affleck would make a worse superman then an already completely ineffectual one.

The sad part is that they totally warn you before hand. It's not like it's some surprise when you start watching the show. I agree that it sets a bad precedent. Hopefully, as Wes mentioned, it'll lead to something better next year.

Every time I think "oh, that's the dumbest thing I'm going to see today" I am proved wrong. I am convinced the average person has less brain processing power than a bowl of moldy pudding.

If I was in charge, I'd up the number of performances every night and sell special t-shirts commemorating the event, just because it would annoy dumb people. Some people really need a firmer grasp on reality...

dt

^ Yup, I get the sense that this will only accelerate the complaints one random offended people who weren't there take up the cause!

I've seen these shows before and they mock pop culture and joke around (as many have said). Take it with a pinch of salt and lighten up, there's no malice in the show!

Shame it's been pulled, it was a full house last time I was at HHN. Hopefully this doesn't affect the script for next year.

Disappointing to see this happen. At what point did causing mild offence become the worst thing ever?! In my view there is a pretty obvious difference between some lazy off-colour jokes and genuine homophobia. Unfortunately the media doesn't seem to make that distinction and has unsurprisingly blown this out of proportion.

What's even more disappointing is that Universal simply caved to media pressure rather than ignore the complaints or defend their work. I'm not looking forward to a world where everything has to be "safe" because God forbid anyone's feelings should be hurt...

Edited by azza29

Oh sweet mother of pearl where to even begin on this one.... For those of you that know me, I am as gay as death valley is hot. Between my musical theatre badge, my sewing badge and being an athletic supporter (giggle) for many years, you know, i mean lets cut to the chase, if it was possible for me to sh1t glitter while riding a rainbow colored unicorn I WOULD! With that being said....

As a proud gay man who has been through the wringer like we all have, (gay bashed, hospital stay, disowned, etc etc) I honesty feel like people need to ACT UP or SHUT THE F**K UP! Jeebus xmas on a crutch its a fucking theme park show!

David, I can never discount another persons events especially when being bashed is one of them.... But all I :read: is victim. I was bashed in a coma and came out of it, and then I MADE A F**KING DIFFERENCE. I learned to accept me, laugh at all the world has to offer and be the change I want to see.... Yes Im "the anti-gay" cause I "bully" my friends, but if the bitch is gonna wear ugly clothes, I'LL TELL YOU & read you like the library of congress while doing so! lol

I was fortunate to have seen this years B&T at Hollywood, not only fortunate, but grateful as I took three chapters of brothers from Delta Lambda Phi Fraternity. Yes, THE GAY fraternity. The group of MEN who see this show as what it is, farcical satire (tho horribly written at times and under-choreographed and need WAY more naked men...) As we left and discussed the show, not one of these men ran and cried "homophobia" When told that a few of the uppers that create this show are gay, the first thing we all agreed on "shocker!" lol

so what? they recreated a scene from a movie, that happens to have superman getting his ass kicked... BIG F*n deal, its only deal because he's gay and is insinuating that gay bashing is ok? thats like going to wal-mart and seeing those fat white trash bitches in clothes that don't fit and are riding up their ho-ha and me going, "well they are doing it, its compelling me to do that as well."

People make decisions good and bad, do I feel that the show was over the top, fuck yes! do i feel certain things could've been handled better, DEF YES, but like in orlando, where the big wigs have a final say and can change shit up to the literal last minute, we all have to take it, process it and deal with it. NOW, I am by no means saying that everyone should go and beat up us gays... But c'mon I grew up with violence all around me, on tv, in my family, in the neighborhood, and you know what I also play GTA, you DEF don't see me beating the fuck outta hookers and people just for the money and the ride?!!?! ugh im so beyond annoyed that our community takes such a disgustingly staunch position on it... Want to make a change, go out, volunteer with gay youth TEACH them their history, so that THEY can help be the change, oh and as the bitchiest queen i know, i just gotta say, grow some balls, have some laughs in life and enjoy it, trust me its WAY too short and valuable to get all up in arms over a gay playing a gay, getting beaten up by a gay (lets be real, we all know those two actors are BFF's in so many ways....)

*steps off pedestal and returns to bidding my line for december so i can come visit robb and the family in Orlando*

Edited by robbalvey

I was fortunate to have seen this years B&T at Hollywood, not only fortunate, but grateful as I took three chapters of brothers from Delta Lambda Phi Fraternity. Yes, THE GAY fraternity. The group of MEN who see this show as what it is, farcical satire (tho horribly written at times and under-choreographed and need WAY more naked men...) As we left and discussed the show, not one of these men ran and cried "homophobia" When told that a few of the uppers that create this show are gay, the first thing we all agreed on "shocker!" lol

Score:

Justin: 69

David: Dumb

Seriously, though, thanks for posting that Justin. A perspective from a gay who has actually seen the show versus someone with a personal agenda who is watching video clips out of context.

I think you know who's side I take.

--Robb

Edited by robbalvey

OK, before I give my opinion, I am gay, 42, my day job is the internet producer, writer, photographer, and videographer for one of the largest LGBT newspapers in the country. I am also a bash victim, TWICE.

OK, my opinion...

Kryptonite is GREEN. Emeralds from the Wizard of Oz, GREEN! Coincidence? I THINK NOT! I have seen this show. I have seen the skit in question. It was funny. I didn't feel threatened, humiliated, or degraded in any way. There was no verb-age to denote anti-gay. I have to look for threatening stuff every day, for a living. This just isn't it. Not by a long shot.

Unfortunately, you have idiot tabloids like Huffington Post Gay Voices (and let me strengthen, "voices", not facts...) with Ariel's name on it, and people get their panties in an bunch.

OK, before I give my opinion, I am gay, 42, my day job is the internet producer, writer, photographer, and videographer for one of the largest LGBT newspapers in the country. I am also a bash victim, TWICE.

OK, my opinion...

Kryptonite is GREEN. Emeralds from the Wizard of Oz, GREEN! Coincidence? I THINK NOT! I have seen this show. I have seen the skit in question. It was funny. I didn't feel threatened, humiliated, or degraded in any way. There was no verb-age to denote anti-gay. I have to look for threatening stuff every day, for a living. This just isn't it. Not by a long shot.

Unfortunately, you have idiot tabloids like Huffington Post Gay Voices (and let me strengthen, "voices", not facts...) with Ariel's name on it, and people get their panties in an bunch.

#truth Thank you for seeing it for what it is... and huffpost "voices"? thats a whole nother bag of stupidity at times..!

http://screamscape.com/html/universal_studios_hollywood.htm#General

he has a link to the "author" of the story that caused all of this, as well as a # where you can call and let USH know that they should bring back B&T! if there is ever a time for all the loud potty mouthed friends i have on this site to say something, DO IT!

It's sad and Ironic that Universal cancelled the show to get out of the path of a storm of bad press. 2 days ago if you typed in Bill and Ted on google, you'd get 2 or 3 articles about the show, now every major and non major news source is publishing about it, and everyone is going along with the idea the show was complete trash, and homophobic.

^Due to the ridiculousness of the complaint, I'm not sure it is bad publicity. They are also canceling the show for only a few nights. A few very busy nights that the closure of the show will not affect the attendance of.

For me GLAAD comes out of this with egg on their face. This is almost as bad as the PETA stunts. Looks like I am adding another gay advocacy group to my no longer supporting list.