TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Studios Hollywood (USH) Discussion Thread

That's what it sounds like. That area was kind of tired (is Curious George even still relevant?), though I'm sure some kids will miss the jungle portion. Can't go wrong with those giant foam ball war zones.

I am really excited for the future of USH! I really enjoyed Despicable Me at Universal in Orlando, so i'm happy to see that on the west coast. Also excited for a flat ride to accompany it! With all the Simpsons rumors and knowing that Potter is coming, there is a bright future ahead for this park. Can't wait.

Despicable Me is the most popular ride right now at USO and should fit in great here.

I don't know that it's the most popular, but it's capacity and appeal to everyone does cause it to have some lengthy lines. I hope that the USH one has improved capacity based on the larger building size. I'm excited though, it was by far one of the better 3D attractions I've experienced and I think it will fit in great at USH. I'm stoked for the flat ride too, I guess I never realized that USH never had one. Nice to round out the offerings of the park a bit more.

Was at the park yesterday for my first time. I greatly enjoyed it, but (I don't think I'm the first) prefer Universal Orlando.

As for anything I saw, they were indeed building a foundation for a new structure in between the Studio Tour entrance and Kwik-E-Mart. If they converted Doc's Chicken and the Mexican restaurant, they could easily have the Simpsons area that is rumored. As for Despicable Me, I wasn't able to get over to that section of the park however it looked like a busy construction site from a far. Also, it appears the Fast and Furious display on the backlot tour is down as we skipped it with no mention. Finally, what are they building in the New York section? There were multiple construction workers working on the frame work of some new building.

When I was at Grad Bash, everyone went to Hulk and RRR, so me and my friends rode the Despicable Me ride 4 times. Best ride ever! And it has, in my opinion, the best ride gift shop in the park. Great to see that concept expand into an entire area of the park! I definitely am going to visit USH when it's all finished.

Universal has sent us an advisory about their latest Halloween Horror Nights contest, this time allowing fans to submit a drawing or description for a custom take on a classic Universal Monster!

Universal is giving everyone a chance to design and re-invent their own Universal Classic Monster and have it brought to life this year at HHN! Enter a detailed drawing or written description of your character design based one of the iconic monsters on their list (including Dracula, Werewolf, Mummy, etc.). The winner and a guest will be invited to attend their design unveiling at the red carpet opening night in Hollywood. All entries must be submitted by July 1st. Then, you can vote on the finalists featured on the Halloween Horror Nights Facebook page on July 2nd.

For the full contest details as well as the terms and conditions. Be sure to let us know if you submit an entry!

http://www.halloweenhorrornights.com/hollywood/2013/HHN_Character_Design_Fan_Contest_Rules_2013.pdf

Edited by jedimaster1227

via screamscape, about what is going into the former wildwest stunt show

This news will shock you… but I’m told that the new iconic tower building going up inside Universal Studios Hollywood right now will be a replica of the Carthay Circle Theater building. Yep… the same famous lost Hollywood landmark that Disney chose to build and open as the centerpiece of their new Buena Vista Street section of California Adventure last year. While the historic importance to Disney was that the theater was used for the premier of Diseny’s Snow White and the Seven Dwarves film ( as well as and Fantasia years later) the theater held other equally important premiers for almost all of the Hollywood studios of the era, securing it’s place in Hollywood history.

That style (spanish revival) of architecture with a tower for the marquee was pretty common for "movie palaces" in the 1930's.

The Fox Theatre in Westwood is a good example of one that is still open.

IMG_20130613_111656.thumb.jpg.7d7848a8f6a2f156eaea86f18e79be4f.jpg

Here's a picture from the other day.

^Yeah, Screamscape just posted another update saying their sources are reporting it might just be another theater type building, similar to Carthay. I'd imagine they wouldn't want to copy it directly since it's now an icon of DCA.

• 3 weeks later...
^Yeah, Screamscape just posted another update saying their sources are reporting it might just be another theater type building, similar to Carthay. I'd imagine they wouldn't want to copy it directly since it's now an icon of DCA.

Would be pretty funny if it was Carthay though.

• 2 weeks later...

Comcast To Speed Up Spending At Universal Theme Parks

Universal Orlando’s parent company said Wednesday it will pour hundreds of millions of added dollars more into new attractions in Florida and California this year, accelerating an already aggressive construction plans in program schedule at its U.S. theme parks.

Cable-and-media giant concern Comcast Corp., which reported second-quarter earnings Wednesday, said it plans to boost capital spending at its NBCUniversal division by 50 percent this year to $1.1 billion — twice as big an increase as initially projected.

The vast majority of that money will be spent within the NBCUniversal family of Universal Studios theme parks — particularly Universal Orlando, which just opened a major Transformers thrill ride and a Simpsons retail area. The park is racing to finish a second Harry Potter land and an 1,800-room hotel by early 2014. The Orlando resort recently paid approximately $31 million to buy the land beneath its Wet 'n Wild water park, as well, though it hasn't yet announced any new plans for that neigbhoring attraction.

Philadelphia-based Comcast, which became the sole owner of NBCUniversal earlier this year, has come to view the theme parks as an important growth engine, having been persuaded by the financial success of the 3-year-old Wizarding World of Harry Potter in Orlando. Comcast says its Orlando attendance soared more than 40 percent after that $265 million collection of rides and shops opened in the Islands of Adventure theme park. Guest spending has increased by even bigger margins.

“We’re starting to get some real critical mass,” Comcast Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Brian Roberts said of the theme parks, which should top $1 billion in operating cash flow this year.

Comcast is investing aggressively on both coasts. Universal Studios Hollywood, where attendance has also swelled on the popularity of recent King Kong and Transformers attractions, will next year open a copy of Despicable Me: Minion Mayhem, an attraction that first opened last year in Universal Studios Florida. The California version will also include an adjacent children's play area, with both wet and dry features.

“Despicable Me,” a 2010 animated movie featuring a soft-hearted villain and an irascible horde of yellow, goggled “minions,” has grown to become one of NBCUniversal’s most valuable franchises. The movie sequel has grossed more than $300 million in the U.S. since opening July 3, according to BoxOfficeMojo.com.

Universal Studios Hollywood will also get its own Wizarding World of Harry Potter, though it is unlikely to open until 2015 or 2016.

Comcast executives appear most excited about “Diagon Alley,” another Potter land that will open in Orlando next year. Like the original Wizarding World, the second one will include an assortment of attractions plus themed shops and restaurants.

On a conference call with investment analysts, Roberts singled out the fact that Universal Orlando guests will be able to travel between Wizarding World in Islands of Adventure and Diagon Alley in Universal Studios Florida aboard a train based on the magical “Hogwarts Express” from the Potter books and films — a feature that should help drive big gains in sales of two-park tickets. The new Potter land is “going to be connected to the first in a very innovative way, a very creative way,” Roberts told analysts.

In another sign of the company's expectations, Universal Orlando is building a fourth hotel that will open in the first quarter of next year, just ahead of Diagon Alley. The 1,800-room Cabana Bay Beach Resort is being financed by a joint venture between Universal and Loews Hotels & Resorts, which runs the three existing on-site hotels.

Comcast executives predicted that the slate of new attractions would ultimately exceed even their own internal return-on-investment requirements.

“The investments we’ve made in our theme parks over the last few years have reset the level of our parks’ profitability,” Comcast Chief Financial Officer Mike Angelakis said during the conference call. “We expect these [new] investments to do the same”

The upbeat outlook followed a second quarter in which the Universal theme parks threw off a little less cash for Comcast.

Universal Parks & Resorts generated $231 million in operating cash flow during the quarter, down 1.6 percent from a year ago. Total revenue rose a modest 1.1 percent to $546 million.

Comcast said the results were pinched in part by higher operating costs incurred to support new attractions. Transformers: The Ride – 3D opened in Universal Studios Florida on June 20, less than two weeks before the quarter ended.

The parks’ performance was also hampered by the timing of the busy Easter holiday, which fell earlier in 2013 than it did in 2012.

Company executives, who have highlighted attendance increases in previous quarters, on Wednesday said only that attendance at their theme parks was “healthy’ during the second quarter. But they said per-guest spending rose.

The company said the original Wizarding World of Harry Potter and the Hollywood version of Transformers, which opened last year, continue to drive growth in the parks.

“They’ve clearly exceeded our return thresholds, both on attendance and on per-capita spend,” Angelakis said. “The theme parks really have some momentum.”

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/blog/tourism-central/os-universal-theme-parks-a-little-less-profitable-in-the-second-quarter-20130731,0,6452643.post

I saw this is on the news and I thought I should post it on here:

UNIVERSAL CITY (CBSLA.com) — Los Angeles County firefighters Monday were responding to a report that several people were stuck on a ride at Universal Studios. Authorities received a call around 9:10 a.m. stating the Transformers Ride at the park in the 3900 block of Lankershim Boulevard experienced a malfunction. Officials expect it will take about an hour to get the guests off the ride. No injuries have been reported.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2013/08/05/several-people-reportedly-stuck-on-transformers-ride-at-universal-studios/