TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Studios Hollywood (USH) Discussion Thread

Also, as we were leaving, we saw a huge group of people who looked to be some kind of Back to the Future group were heading towards Simpsons. Thought the timing was interesting considering John Murdy's announcement.

You probably encountered the "Back to the Future" day people. It's an annual event where the BTTF fanboys go on the Simpsons ride and reference the Back to the Future ride. For example, when Maggie puts the riders in her mouth, they'll yell, "Great Scott! We've been swallowed!"

Ugh. Really?

You probably encountered the "Back to the Future" day people. It's an annual event where the BTTF fanboys go on the Simpsons ride and reference the Back to the Future ride. For example, when Maggie puts the riders in her mouth, they'll yell, "Great Scott! We've been swallowed!"

This makes me sad for humanity.

I've never understood all the Back to the Future fandom. The first movie was pretty good, but the sequels were so-so (at least to me). The ride was fun, but after riding it once, I had little desire to ride it again; but I feel that way about most simulators.

I think this BTTF group and the Adventurers' Club group should have a death match. I hope they both lose.

In Thunderdome with Grumpy Cat as guest referee.

^That made me think of a terrible thing. What if a park installed a My Little Pony Ride!? The horror!

I never really liked the BTTF ride. I thought the vehicles were really cool, but the movie/ride was really bad.

Like Chuck, I'm just not a simulator kinda guy. I'm kind of one and done. I remember not caring for BTTF when it was around and I've been on Simpsons maybe 3 times (plus the queue is always excruciatingly slow). I personally hate Sherk 4-D. Despicable Me at USF was a fun one, but I'm sure I'll get sick of it quick and won't do it very often on either. With simulators, I can do Soarin at DCA/Epcot a couple times a year, but otherwise I typically avoid those attractions. On the flip side, Dark Rides mixed with simulators like Transformers, Spider-Man and Harry Potter are OK with me. They have a bit more excitement with physical effects added to the video ones.

Speaking of Despicable Me, I was thinking about size. The T2 theater is MUCH larger than the Despicable Me theater in Florida (or at least it seemed that way). Do you guys think the west coast version will feature a larger auditorium? I was also thinking of the possibility that they divide it into 2 theaters to help with the popularity of the ride and keeping the wait times down. Obviously they could also use the excess space for other uses too, I'm just throwing out ideas and curious if anyone has heard anything.

^ Out of boredom, I compared the Terminator building with the Despicable Me show building (Both in the Florida park). The entire building for DM is roughly the same size, if not slightly larger, than the T2 auditorium building! Considering both of the preshow rooms will be in the old preshow building, I think the size would be right to squeeze two theaters in the building. It would be wise to have two to I increase capacity.

So that probably means that HP isn't until 2016? I suppose with Transformers being still so popular, there isn't a huge rush to drop in DM into the T2 building asap. I was in the park Sat, not much visible in the former Wild West stage area. It sure does leave quite a big gap in the upper lot. I hope the space is used for an actual attraction, and not just left blank except for maze space during HHN.

Universal Studios Hollywood has sent us a press releasing confirming the addition of Despicable Me Minion Mayhem to the park's lineup, set to debut in 2014!

Universal Studios Hollywood announces the much-anticipated arrival of "Despicable Me Minion Mayhem," a 3D Ultra-HD movie motion-simulator adventure. Universal Pictures and Illumination Entertainment's worldwide blockbuster Despicable Me will come to life in Hollywood in an attraction modeled after the one in its sister park, Universal Orlando Resort® – with the addition of a few surprises unique to the Entertainment Capital of L.A.SM

"Based on the consumer feedback at our sister park, we expect the 'Despicable Me' ride experience to be a popular, family-friendly attraction for Universal Studios Hollywood. The ride continues the story line of the main characters from the blockbuster film through all-new 3D Ultra-HD animation, together with an interactive ride vehicle system," said Larry Kurzweil , President and Chief Operating Officer, Universal Studios Hollywood. "In 'Despicable Me Minion Mayhem,' our guests will experience the hilarious and heartwarming characters of the beloved film in a whole new way."

The fully immersive experience will debut in 2014 with the loveable cast of leading characters that have captured the laughter of audiences worldwide: super-villain Gru, his adorable girls (Margo, Edith and Agnes) and the unpredictably hilarious Minions.

"The 'Despicable Me Minion Mayhem' attraction at Universal Studios Hollywood will continue to push the creative envelope with its exceptional show content, sight gags, special effects and 3D digital animation. The exterior treatment will feature even more thematic and colorful creative touches that will literally place park guests inside Gru's world," said Mark Woodbury , President, Universal Creative.

Guests will experience whimsically themed queues, preshow videos and comedic dialogue that set up the fundamental plot: Gru schemes to create more mischievous Minions from human recruits.

Guests will be transported into Gru's house as they meander through his living room and encounter visual elements as seen in the film – including the moon-shrinking SR-6 shrink ray – while they zig zag through a zany adventure featuring Gru's super-villain laboratory. The exciting journey continues as they swerve, bounce and plunge to get through the frantically humorous Minion training mission while donning specially designed 3D Minion goggles. Fun and frolic continue in a post-show dance party where Minion walkaround characters invite guests to strut their stuff in an impromptu Minion-inspired dance party.

"Despicable Me Minion Mayhem" was produced in collaboration between Universal Creative and Illumination Entertainment, and was recently honored as Best Animated Special Production at the 2012 Annie Awards, which recognizes Outstanding Achievements in the field of Animation.

LA74740.thumb.jpeg.14d531dc46c5e5163f685263cab4e6ec.jpeg

Edited by jedimaster1227

I'm looking forward to it. The one in Orlando was definitely one of the more enjoyable simulators I've been on. It will be cool to see what the differences will be, and the look of the exterior (I hope it has a Pyramid painted like the sky!). I wonder when in 2014 it will be, I assume it will be early in the year since they are well on their way with the construction, and if they can do Transformers as quick as they did, this should be easy.

BTW, how nice is it to have Universal announce something!? Since they are building a on of stuff that still has yet to be announced.