TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Studios Hollywood (USH) Discussion Thread

^Is the T-rex back in yet? Last time I went there was just a sheet of black plastic where he should be.

It's back from refurbishment. It's now fully operational.

'

I'm hearing some word that they may give the Jurassic Park a major update after this Summer or after HHN (The latter I think is more plausible) to promote JP4. I think it's likely that it could happen. We'll just wait and see. I think it's VERY safe to say we won't get those new JP rides Florida's getting.

JP did just come back from rehab with some minor effects restored after many years (little things like sparks on the second level, full rehab of some of the dinosaurs to have them back to their opening day form, new lighting package for the night), so hopefully they will continue that trend...

I'd love to see a themed JP queue line built with updated entertainment in it. The current one is so bland, and with Universal pushing to have a certain level of quality, it seems like updating the queues might be in line with what they are doing.

For those more familiar with USH, any chance the sound stage right behind the JP Food location could ever be re-purposed for theme park use? Seems like a great spot to do a JP dark ride making a little mini JP land there. But I'm sure the revenue generated by that sound stage for TV and Movies would have to be made up, just curious if that would ever even be a consideration.

I went to the park yesterday, so I thought I wold give a report on what I've seen.

Despicable Me: I noticed that one small piece of the blue wall dressing where the sign was above the entrance had been taken off. They completely got rid of the stand where people would pick up their glasses.

I saw a lot of executive-looking folks walking around the park and talking to a couple of the employees. The next day, I see an update that the executives were touring IoA about scanning for the Lord of the Rings land. I just found that interesting.

EDIT: Stupid filter!!!!

Edited by Someotherguyuser

Executives tour parks all the time.

This is true. In fact, I know Disney gave the USH execs a tour of Cars Land over the summer! Supposedly the purpose of the tour was to give the USH team ideas for WWOHP in terms of immersiveness and Guest control. And likewise, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if USO had given Disney a similar tour of their WWOHP when they were working on Cars Land.

I have been out of the house, But I am shocked no one posted this.... Another fire at USH

RT @GigiGraciette: BREAKING: Fire at Universal Studios Hollywood. Started at Terminator 2 ride which is still under construction. Developing

Theme Park Fun ‏@MiceChat

3 helicopters are circling @UniStudios as a fire of un determined size burns at the old terminator building. More info soon.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm kind of surprised no one has posted this yet, so I guess I'll go ahead and throw it out there. While posting some updates on his twitter about his work with HHNH for this year, John Murdy also dropped hints about something non-HHN related that he has been working on that according to him is going to be announced in the next week or two. Here what he said:

"Also been working on some non-HHN projects that will materialize in the park in the next week of so...I'll give a few hints on one of them. Its somethng from a famous movie that I have a long, strange connection to. I crashed the set of this movie when I was in high school. The movie in question was filmed on the Universal Backlot but also in my home town of Whittier. It was the #1 movie for its year. In about a week you'll know what I'm talking about. Been working on this project for the last year. Wish I could be there to see it arrive."

The hint points pretty much at BTTF, and I'd put my money on a restoration of a DeLorean... Of course that's just one project, and he alluded to there being more. Any other rumors coming out of USH about small projects like this?

I'm kind of surprised no one has posted this yet, so I guess I'll go ahead and throw it out there. While posting some updates on his twitter about his work with HHNH for this year, John Murdy also dropped hints about something non-HHN related that he has been working on that according to him is going to be announced in the next week or two. Here what he said:

"Also been working on some non-HHN projects that will materialize in the park in the next week of so...I'll give a few hints on one of them. Its somethng from a famous movie that I have a long, strange connection to. I crashed the set of this movie when I was in high school. The movie in question was filmed on the Universal Backlot but also in my home town of Whittier. It was the #1 movie for its year. In about a week you'll know what I'm talking about. Been working on this project for the last year. Wish I could be there to see it arrive."

The hint points pretty much at BTTF, and I'd put my money on a restoration of a DeLorean... Of course that's just one project, and he alluded to there being more. Any other rumors coming out of USH about small projects like this?

I'm pretty certain it's going to be the display of the DeLoreon.

I've heard some rumblings that one of the other projects Murdy has been working on involves the House of Horrors.

Screamscape says a tram may have caught on fire in King Kong 360º 3-D

I’ve only seen a few reports online so far, mostly from Twitter searches, but it seems that a Tram may have somehow caught fire while going through King Kong 360º 3-D on February 16th. Meanwhile one of our readers did manage to shoot a picture afterwards showing fire engines sitting nearby afterwards, blocking the access road to the attraction. Anyone know if Kong managed to reopen over the weekend?

BDQRvFVCUAES47j.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I went to USH over the weekend with RAWKIN_coaster38 and rolercstrluvr. First, I couldn't believe how open the upper lot feels now with the wild west arena demolished. The work walls are still all around it, but the whole area is much less claustrophobic. T2's demolition is well on it's way. By demolition I mean they have stripped a lot of the outer walls down to the framing and look to be preparing to redo the attractions facade.

Other than that it felt like business as usual. The 3 rides on the lower lot all seemed to be having problems. Our first ride on Transformers (their first one ever) we stopped about midway through the attraction at the scene where Megatron fires a rocket at you. We sat for about 5 minutes before the ride started back up, but then it took a full scene before the sound turned back on and one of the scenes had all the projectors out. When we got off the staff was super cool and gave us an exit pass for any other ride in the park and gave us the "Gate A Password" so that we could skip the line for Transformers later that day. The line was decent however and we got 4 rides in total only skipping the line once. I still have to say this is one of if not the best dark ride I've been on. Everyone in Orlando is going to love it.

Mummy had some issues too. The first time we rode the finale effects weren't really working (no fog and the door was open letting the station light in). Later we rode and the first skeleton never moved nor did the hands reach down. Eventually we got a couple rides in where everything worked.

JP had the funniest issue, as we approached the drop the waterfall was off and the T-Rex was illuminated; but it was just kind of hanging there and spasming like it wanted to work but it wouldn't. Did we witness a T-Rex stroke? All of our later rides worked totally fine though.

Tram tour was good though our Tour Guide wasn't great. Have they significantly reduced the Jimmy Fallon videos? The tour guide talked over the black and white bell hop one, and they didn't play the western one. The guide talked over the song at the end too. I think I'm one of the only people on TPR that actually liked those videos, so it was a bummer that they weren't really there. The tram tour is still easily one of the coolest attractions at any theme park, especially if you love movies like me.

Tram tour was good though our Tour Guide wasn't great. Have they significantly reduced the Jimmy Fallon videos? The tour guide talked over the black and white bell hop one, and they didn't play the western one. The guide talked over the song at the end too. I think I'm one of the only people on TPR that actually liked those videos, so it was a bummer that they weren't really there. The tram tour is still easily one of the coolest attractions at any theme park, especially if you love movies like me.

I think they have actually. The last few times I've been on the tour the guide has talked over or cut off the videos early. I'm also a fan of the Jimmy Fallon videos, so you're not alone! His videos are definitely better than Whoopi's in my opinion. It annoys me that they always cut off the "Tramtastic Day" portion at the end- I think that song is brilliant!

Here's the source video for "Tramtastic Day" if you want to see the full thing without interruptions:

Made a couple hour stop at Universal today, I'll have a full report up later.

Were there any TPR memehers working on Transformers in the mid afternoon? I swear I recognized someone.

Here's a quick synopsis.

Lots of construction all over the upper lot.

The Wild Wet Stadium is completely gone, as perilously reported...anyone know anything about what's replacing it?

The Cyberdine building was being torn apart. Couldn't see much though because of all the absolutely awesomely themed construction wall sets with propa they had in front.

Transformers has held up pretty well, haven't noticed much deterioration in effects aside from occasionally not having the "bullet spark" effect right at the start, which wasn't a big deal. Still insanely popular, drawing about a seventy minute wait by the time we left. People really need to learn what SINGLE RIDER LINE means though. You wouldn't believe how many people got this glazed over or aghast look on their face when they had to get seperated, or parents with little kids too short to ride without them.

Mummy is much more efficient with two trains loading simultaneously. (Unlike my previous August visit where only one was loaded at a time)

Also, as we were leaving, we saw a huge group of people who looked to be some kind of Back to the Future group were heading towards Simpsons. Thought the timing was interesting considering John Murdy's announcement.

Also, as we were leaving, we saw a huge group of people who looked to be some kind of Back to the Future group were heading towards Simpsons. Thought the timing was interesting considering John Murdy's announcement.

You probably encountered the "Back to the Future" day people. It's an annual event where the BTTF fanboys go on the Simpsons ride and reference the Back to the Future ride. For example, when Maggie puts the riders in her mouth, they'll yell, "Great Scott! We've been swallowed!"