TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Studios Hollywood (USH) Discussion Thread

This would make more sense if the golf course actually had an interest is selling because of lack of business or whatever. I agree this is a huge feat, and would really effect those close by, the value of those homes located on the course would go way down.

There would have to be a real need for the course to sell for this to actually happen. because of where the course is located it seems the only other real option for the area is a park or more residences, because the access is though the surrounding residential neighborhood. Universal could obviously build some bridges over the river. It wouldn't make sense for other businesses to acquire the land.

Universal already has quite a bit of land. If anything I could see them rebuilding some of their sound stages utilizing current technology to fit more useable space into smaller footprints of land, thus freeing up land to expand to. Also They can do this with rides too, look at transformers which essentially the same length as Spider-Man, but in a much smaller footprint of land by utilizing the 2 floor layout.

Honestly, if they bought the golf course (which I now agree, after reading more into it, is not going to happen) I would think it's more likely they keep it as a golf course to enhance their "resort" offerings. That said, it's not going to happen so we'll see what happens with what they already have, eventually.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, I have say that, while its a good 4D show, I won't miss it. It just seemed to take too much time out of my day. I've seen in once in Hollywood, once in Orlando, and that's plenty! The best show I saw in that T2 theater was the Rocky Horror show during HHN!

Yeah, I have say that, while its a good 4D show, I won't miss it. It just seemed to take too much time out of my day. I've seen in once in Hollywood, once in Orlando, and that's plenty! The best show I saw in that T2 theater was the Rocky Horror show during HHN!

I saw it in Orlando and Japan. The latter viewing was with FalafelGirl, who slept through it.

Edited by cfc

It was a decent show, but unfortunately poor old Terminator hasn't aged well. The fact that it's been around this long suggests the park was having trouble finding something to replace it with.

I'm interested to see what the plans for Hogwarts West look like, particularly how much space they end up dedicating to the Harry Potter theme. Are they just adding in the HP + Forbidden Journey clone, or was a full 'land' announced?

It was a decent show, but unfortunately poor old Terminator hasn't aged well. The fact that it's been around this long suggests the park was having trouble finding something to replace it with.

13 years isn't really that long for an attraction.

Having seen what goes on backstage, it was definitely a technical marvel for its time. But technology advanced so much since its debut, while still an awesome use of a 4d show, its time had come. 75000 shows and countless advances of projection technology later, it was time to move on.

As a side note, the last show was a lot of fun. Lots of current and former employees were there to watch the show, which led to it having lots of energy. Kimberly added in a few references to it being the last show, like telling the T1000 when he first arrived: "You're late, it's like its your last day on the job or something." The cast got a standing ovation and came out after the show to take pictures. As a fun fact, there were four cast members who stayed with the show its entire run (and a 5th who only left to perform in Florida and Japan).

Edited by Jew

I had no idea that the version in Hollywood opened three years after the one in Orlando. I just assumed they both opened the same time. That means that the Hollywood attraction opened a full eight years after when the movie came out. I too seemed to remember that it was around a lot longer.

13 years isn't really that long for an attraction.

And this wasn't just your standard "4D" flick, either--it was a pretty elaborate show.

I think the concept is an awesome concept that unfortunately became dated with how fast technology improved. I'd love to see what they could do now with 4K projectors, 10000x better CGI, and the countless improvements to animatronics/lighting/sound/automation technology as well.

I never got to see the one in Hollywood. The line was always too long when I remembered it was there, or it was closed. I've seen it many times in Orlando. My son and I MUST see it every visit, usually at least twice.

Yes, the preshow was a pain. You should have had the opportunity to skip it, which probably would have really upped the numbers of attendees too. Hell, Shaq's retired now, and some of the other stuff in the preshow is basically reality now. You COULD tuck someone in over the internet, with an HD video monitor included.

Hopefully Orlando's will last a few more years. But, I'll be sure to have a final ride each visit from here on out. I LOVE the show. It was Cameron's masterpiece at the time. The most expensive film ever, on a per minute basis. Maybe still. It was essentially $2 million a minute. I really don't think that's been topped yet. Avengers probably got close, but it was fairly long. But movie budgets usually include marketing, so I'd guess T2-3D is STILL the most expensive ever, quite a feat for a 16 year old film.

I remember finding out about it in Cinefex, and then finding out from a coworker, who had just hit Orlando, that it opened about 3 weeks before I went there. I was absolutely blown away. Sure, the CGI now shows its age, but the freezing T-1,000,000 is still the best 3-D effect ever, imho.

I made a fan page for the ride on a very early web server, so I've got quite an attachment to the ride. THose were the days when I'd have to take pics, and hope they turned out good enough, weeks later when I got them, and scanned them in with a crappy scanner.

I have many fond memories in the Miles Bennett Dyson Memorial Auditorium. And seeing my son see it for the first time was right up there with watching Star Wars with him. Heck, they could redo the entire 3 screen ending section with better CGI, probably at a fraction of the cost of the original. They should bring back the original preshow that was all pretty much official cannon, with Dr. Silberman. The more recent hokey preshow doesn't compare, so I'd guess Cameron's control contract has expired. But, I guess it must be replaced by a much more longer lasting franchise, Despicable Me!???!

Maybe there will be a T5-3D some day. I mean, who the hell thought there would be a Star Wars Episode VII?

-R

They should bring back the original preshow that was all pretty much official cannon, with Dr. Silberman. The more recent hokey preshow doesn't compare, so I'd guess Cameron's control contract has expired.

I had only seen it in Hollywood...what's the difference between the old preshow and the more recent ones? Sounds interesting.

The first line preshow was serious, with warnings, and Silberman talking about Sarah, but I believe it was after T2, and HE was in a psych ward.

Then there was a fairly plain preshow, iirc, removing the characters, then the current, jaws-esquire one.

-R

I wasn't really a big fan of T2:3D. In fact I've probably only seen it 2 or 3 times during it's entire run, so no love lost there.

I'm also a big fan of Despicable Me so I'm glad to see something coming for that.

What I have an issue with is another movie based simulator attraction coming to USH. They don't need another one. I'd love to see them gut the entire building and build the family dark ride that USH needs and deserves. That building is PLENTY big enough.

What I have an issue with is another movie based simulator attraction coming to USH. They don't need another one. I'd love to see them gut the entire building and build the family dark ride that USH needs and deserves. That building is PLENTY big enough.

There's plenty of room, but there's not enough strength from the parking structure to hold up the show building for a dark ride, I don't think.