TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Studios Hollywood (USH) Discussion Thread

What if the reason more details of whatever is going to be opening in Hollywood is going to include elements from the expansion of HP in Florida? I could imagine Universal Studios Hollywood taking a bit of what Orlando has now and a bit of whatever will be expanding in Orlando.

The timing of this dual announcement seems to confirm this.

I think Kong, and anything new to LA has two possible sources of crowd increases. Vacationers, like myself, who pay full prices, and buy lots of merch. And, locals who go with a discount ticket and buy zero merch.

Universal Hollywood hadn't opened anything new at all for over 3 years. I would say locals traffic had dried up pretty much to it's minimum. Hell, even the Simpsons simulator probably didn't attract a lot of locals, who had already sworn off BttF after one ride. So you have to go back almost 8 years to Mummy's opening for the last thrill ride attraction with real drawing power.

I'd say they could have added damn near anything to get the locals interested again. Kong didn't attract by name or quality, it attracted by simply being in existence. It sounds like it's quite good, and can be enjoyed by all guests. Something Forbidden Journey absolutley can not be. I see the same for Potter, although it will be only 2-3 years after Transformers, which should be huge in it's own right, finally bringing a Spidey-level ride to LA. So even then, locals won't be starving for a reason to return.

And the tram attracts older folks, who won't like being tossed around by a robot for 5 minutes, or wait an hour for a wand.

I think this will help, hell yeah. But it won't do anything even remotely like the 30-50% increase Orlando has seen at IOA. Maybe for the first Summer, but it won't be sustained. I foresee IOA having bigger numbers for quite a few years. And the Uni addition keeping it going for qiute sometime. LA's Potter will be the lesser Potter the day it opens, most likely.

If it was totally new adventure, and different shops, it very well could be a 50% increase from vacationers. As it stands, a vacationer like myself, will make their Orlando vs LA decision based on everything EXCEPT the new Potter land in LA.

-R

Well we are getting Transformers.....yeah our facade looks like shiet but the Singapore version is exactly the same as ours and theirs has gotten some pretty decent reviews. If PotterLand adds different rides in their area, that could also attract more people. I can see a clone of Forbidden Journey, A Vekoma or Intamin Motorbike (themed to broomsticks), Flight of the Hippopotamus(different layout), and maybe a show...Potter 9-D.

I think Kong, and anything new to LA has two possible sources of crowd increases. Vacationers, like myself, who pay full prices, and buy lots of merch. And, locals who go with a discount ticket and buy zero merch.

Universal Hollywood hadn't opened anything new at all for over 3 years. I would say locals traffic had dried up pretty much to it's minimum. Hell, even the Simpsons simulator probably didn't attract a lot of locals, who had already sworn off BttF after one ride. So you have to go back almost 8 years to Mummy's opening for the last thrill ride attraction with real drawing power.

I'd say they could have added damn near anything to get the locals interested again. Kong didn't attract by name or quality, it attracted by simply being in existence. It sounds like it's quite good, and can be enjoyed by all guests. Something Forbidden Journey absolutley can not be. I see the same for Potter, although it will be only 2-3 years after Transformers, which should be huge in it's own right, finally bringing a Spidey-level ride to LA. So even then, locals won't be starving for a reason to return.

And the tram attracts older folks, who won't like being tossed around by a robot for 5 minutes, or wait an hour for a wand.

I think this will help, hell yeah. But it won't do anything even remotely like the 30-50% increase Orlando has seen at IOA. Maybe for the first Summer, but it won't be sustained. I foresee IOA having bigger numbers for quite a few years. And the Uni addition keeping it going for qiute sometime. LA's Potter will be the lesser Potter the day it opens, most likely.

If it was totally new adventure, and different shops, it very well could be a 50% increase from vacationers. As it stands, a vacationer like myself, will make their Orlando vs LA decision based on everything EXCEPT the new Potter land in LA.

-R

Youre throwing a lot of big accusations with no actual info or proof to any of it. You don't know Universals attendance numbers, their vacationer to local ratio, what they plan to build here, the draw of the park in the first place, nor do you understand how marketing works with things like Kong.

The point your trying to prove cant be proven for a few years, and even then I think your expectations for this are all off. We will have to wait and see.

Just to throw this out there- The map that westcoaster posted and Joey shared is about 7.4 acres (according to daft logic) Harry Potter World including just the town and the village is also 7.4 acres ... Seems legit.

wewewe.jpg.28027f46ec04e40fb692b6208258dc79.jpg

Edited by Chroniq

Just to throw this out there- The map that westcoaster posted and Joey shared is about 7.4 acres (according to daft logic) Harry Potter World including just the town and the village is also 7.4 acres ... Seems legit.

^Are you including Hippogriff? If so, then it could be even smaller if they axe the two coasters and draw the castle closet towards Hogwarts.

Didn't the announcement say that Hogwarts will go inside the existing park? Waterworld perhaps?

The article posted earlier didn't say anything about WaterWorld. It'll probably go where Jim Disney said it would.

Except the problem with the ideas (including mine) of keeping Waterworld is that I would ruin the atmosphere if you hear explosions and see fireworks coming from WW. So they would have to build forbidden journey or something else in between the two, Or downgrade WW.

Jim at Westcoaster drew up a more realistic concept.

that layout would also allow minimal disturbance of the rest of attractions within USH. I'm sure Waterworld will still be slated for demo at a later date. Everything looks like its all falling occording to the original Vision Plan outlined.

Except the problem with the ideas (including mine) of keeping Waterworld is that I would ruin the atmosphere if you hear explosions and see fireworks coming from WW. So they would have to build forbidden journey or something else in between the two, Or downgrade WW.
Yes' date=' Waterworld is going to be the thing that ruins Forbidden Journey... of course![/quote']
^I'm assuming if they are going to build an outside area. And want to keep that part hidden from the rest of the park.

jpww.jpg.ca83d0fffdff9d8163be1fe493830368.jpg

Yes' date=' Waterworld is going to be the thing that ruins Forbidden Journey... of course![/quote']
^I'm assuming if they are going to build an outside area. And want to keep that part hidden from the rest of the park.

You forgot to show the initial castle pictures before they added the extra rock work to hide the box along the mini-coaster side...

No you wouldn't, there would be a basement level (ground level now) and you'd basically build everything on stilts and have all the existing infrastructure still below (this is how Simpsons is, its on slits).

The BTTF Building (which now holds the Simpsons) is actually resting on giant rollers so that it moves during an earthquake - you probably wouldn't want too much under a structure like that. The current Tram Loading area is in like the 4th location in 'recent' history, It used to load from the lower lot.