TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Studios Hollywood (USH) Discussion Thread

Quite a disappointment if it's a carbon copy. And dumb too. People will choose which one to visit, instead of visiting both.

This will just steal visitors from Orlando that are added to Hollywood.

-R

I doubt USH will get both Hogwarts and Diagon Alley, so Orlando will still be the more compete HP experience.

Going to put all our updates here in one place.... (Scroll down for the official press release)

Here's what we Tweeted and what was said at this mornings press conference:

USH president Larry Kurzwiel arrived.

Tom Williams and California Governor Jerry Brown and others take the stage....

Now really official! Tom Williams and Weasley twins make it official! Wizarding World of Harry Potter is coming to Universal Studios Hollywood!

Wizarding World of Harry Potter expansion for Orlando is CONFIRMED!!! No details yet, though.

Hogwarts at Universal Studios Hollywood WILL be in the existing park - CONFIRMED!

Forbidden Journey attraction will be coming to Universal Studios Hollywood!

Hogwarts Castle will be built at Universal Studios Hollywood

Butter Beer time!!!!!!

Cheers to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Studios Hollywood!

No announcement made yet as to where Wizarding World of Harry Potter will be located at USH.

TPR signing off from the WWoHP announcement event! Cheers with butterbeer!

Some BIG questions left unanswered!

Where is it going?

What other than the castle and the attraction are coming?

When will it open?

Is it actually a "land" or just an "attraction"? It was not really made clear.

No key art or concept drawings have been released yet.

Kind of odd that such a huge announcement was made, but with very limited information....

Now, TPR members...

POST YOUR COMMENTS!!!

EDIT - Here is the official press release from the park:

HOGWARTS IS COMING TO HOLLYWOOD!

Warner Bros. and Universal Parks and Resorts to bring The Wizarding World of Harry Potter to Universal Studios Hollywood

Significant Expansion Also Planned for The Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Orlando Resort

Hollywood, CA (Dec. 6, 2011) - Warner Bros. Entertainment and Universal Parks and Resorts today announced a partnership to bring The Wizarding World of Harry Potter – the enormously popular themed entertainment environment which debuted in Orlando in June 2010 – to Universal Studios Hollywood.

The two companies also announced their plans to significantly expand The Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Orlando Resort.

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Studios Hollywood will be as impressive as what has been created in Orlando – and is expected to transform tourism in Los Angeles for decades to come. It will be a fully immersive environment for the entire family that brings the stories of Harry Potter to life and is faithful to the visual landscape of the films, including a majestic Hogwarts castle to serve as the centerpiece of the themed environment. The Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Studios Hollywood will be created with the same commitment to authenticity and the same level of talent and resources as its Orlando counterpart.

“I am delighted that The Wizarding World of Harry Potter has been so popular with fans since the opening in Orlando last year and I am sure that the teams at Universal and Warner Bros. will bring their expertise and attention to detail to Hollywood to make this new experience equally as exciting,” said J.K. Rowling.

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Orlando Resort opened in June 2010 and immediately captured global attention. It is a spectacularly themed land that includes Hogwarts castle, Hogsmeade and multiple themed attractions. Specific details of its expansion will be announced over time.

“The announcement of our partnership with Universal to bring The Wizarding World of Harry Potter to Hollywood and expand what already exists in Orlando is probably the best holiday gift we could give to the legions of Harry Potter fans worldwide,” said Barry Meyer, Chairman & CEO, Warner Bros. “Everyone involved with these projects is committed to continuing the enchantment of J.K. Rowling’s masterful books as they were brought to life on screen in our eight films and dedicated to extending the magic of the experience for generations of fans to come.”

“This is an incredible moment for Universal Studios and the millions of guests who visit our theme parks,” said Ron Meyer, President & COO, Universal Studios. “The Harry Potter stories are some of the most powerful of our time and we are honored to expand our Orlando experience and bring The Wizarding World of Harry Potter to Hollywood, forever changing family tourism in Los Angeles.”

“The Wizarding World of Harry Potter is an entirely new level of themed entertainment that brings the stories of Harry Potter to life in incredible ways,” said Tom Williams, Chairman and CEO, Universal Parks and Resorts. “We are thrilled to be able to share this experience with our guests in Hollywood. And we are thrilled to take what has been created in Orlando to even greater levels.”

[coastertube]http://www.themeparkreview.com/coastertube/play.php?vid=UPR_Announcement_SizzleC_kaq0[/coastertube]

1901232111_WWoHPAnnouncement.thumb.jpg.ecc07605101c8dc6387df66926a2d31a.jpg

Warner Bros., Universal Parks and Resorts and honored guests celebrated today’s partnership announcement to bring The Wizarding World of Harry Potter – the enormously popular themed entertainment environment which debuted in Orlando in June 2010 – to Universal Studios Hollywood, with an official Butterbeer toast. Plans to significantly expand The Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Orlando Resort were also announced. Inspired by J.K. Rowling’s compelling stories and characters, The Wizarding World of Harry Potter features multiple themed attractions, shops and a restaurant – all faithful to the films.

Pictured L to R – Tom Williams, Chairman and CEO, Universal Parks & Resorts; Ron Meyer, President and COO, Universal Studios; California Governor, Jerry Brown; Barry Meyer, Chairman and CEO, Warner Bros.; James Phelps, portrayed Fred Weasley in the Harry Potter films; Oliver Phelps, portrayed George Weasley in the Harry Potter films; Zev Yaroslavsky, L.A. County Supervisor

2055424575_WWoHPAnnouncement2.thumb.JPG.b2d6549889477614eca2b397898681ca.JPG

114218137_WWoHPAnnouncement3.thumb.JPG.85180152d8a82be7dc9520d99ffc7378.JPG

James and Oliver Phelps, who portray Fred and George Weasley in the Harry Potter films, were joined by some special guests to celebrate today’s partnership announcement to bring The Wizarding World of Harry Potter – the enormously popular themed entertainment environment which debuted in Orlando in June 2010 – to Universal Studios Hollywood, with an official Butterbeer toast. Plans to significantly expand The Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Orlando Resort were also announced. Inspired by J.K. Rowling’s compelling stories and characters, The Wizarding World of Harry Potter features multiple themed attractions, shops and a restaurant – all faithful to the films.

Pictured L to R – James Phelps, portrayed Fred Weasley in the Harry Potter films; Oliver Phelps, portrayed George Weasley in the Harry Potter films.

Edited by jedimaster1227

Quite a disappointment if it's a carbon copy. And dumb too. People will choose which one to visit, instead of visiting both.

If it is a carbon copy (which I hope it isn't). The only people that are going to be upset are the enthusiast who travel to both resorts. Which let be honest, a small percentage of people actually do that to the point universal doesn't look to attract them hardly at all because they would still come anyway.

And lets remember about other remake rides between the two resorts. The Mummies are both pretty different experiences. And the Jurassic Parks though the skeleton of the rides are almost the same, the themeing and scene setups are pretty different between the two.

Carbon Copy is the smartest and most finacially reasonable method. This will generate a huge amount profit for USH, like it has for IOA.

This will just steal visitors from Orlando that are added to Hollywood.

2,500 mile difference.

This is why people from heavily populated Northeast go to Orlando, and people from the most populous state in the nation go to LA. They will be gaining customers for doing this, not losing.

As stupid as it would be to just have Forbidden Journey as a stand-alone attraction amongst the other giant boxes at USH, I wouldn't mind that.

Back earlier this year when I was at WDW, I had a lot of guests tell me about "Harry Potter World" when I asked about how they're enjoying their stays (they ALWAYS bring up Universal in Magic Kingdom, I wonder if they bring up WDW when talking with people at USF?). It's becoming quite the conversation-carrier.

Having the full-blown area at USH sort of defeats the purpose of Wizarding World being a world that only exists in one place.

Also if you think about it, they aren't going to want to drag the characters in & make them record new scenes, features, etc. It would be MUCH easier to simply utilize the same videos and audio clips that Universal Orlando is using in order to save money & time. Not to mention they've made the set pieces once already; to make them again will take less time and probably less money. It's all about money in the end . . .

With Potter and Transformers opening at USH, I have an excuse to head out west again an d rack up some missed credits. Will be interesting to see how this expansion unfolds and what the similarities and differences are compared to Orlando's version. I wonder if there are any issues with the ride in Orlando that they have encountered since opening that will be addressed with the new version in Hollywood.

I mentioned this in the Orlando thread but i wonder once the details for this are finalized, if the Potter section will be incorporated into (or completely excluded) from HHN Hollywood.

I'm not a huge Potter fan, but TONS of people seem to love it, and more people visiting parks and spending money has to be a good thing right?

Having the full-blown area at USH sort of defeats the purpose of Wizarding World being a world that only exists in one place.

I agree with this. As profitable as HPW is, I feel like if they had come up with something just as good for USH, it would get people to go to both locations instead of being happy with just one.

@ Chris: I honestly don't think they have details to announce yet. There was just no way two huge publicly traded companies could brush off a report like that from the WSJ.

My money would be on the ride itself being a clone with some new stores/shops/experiences instead of direct clone of Hogsmeade.

“The announcement of our partnership with Universal to bring The Wizarding World of Harry Potter to Hollywood and expand what already exists in Orlando is probably the best holiday gift we could give to the legions of Harry Potter fans worldwide,” said Barry Meyer, Chairman & CEO, Warner Bros.

Merry Christmas, SoCal. Hope you like crap.

Yawn.

Still don't get the excitement over Potter.

Harry Potter is a lifestyle for some people! I LIVE for Harry Potter. I'm a guy and I was crying when the last movie ended! The same goes for the book! I will take down everyone except J.K. Rowling in Harry Potter scene it. It only seems fair to give people that attraction so people don't have to fly across the country to experience something they love!

As for those saying I'm wrong about the two parks, the issue is this:

Universal Orlando has seen ENORMOUS increases in attendance, beyond anything they could have expected. Now, it will die down in the next three years, but let's say it's still 20% extra from Potter alone. Putting in the exact same thing in Hollywood will simply spread that 20% Potter increase between two places. And to do that, they have to spend another $1-200 million dollars. Doesn't seem to be worth it to me. However, investing some extra capital to make it another unique Potter location would make a second MUST DO for Potter heads, and give the Hollywood park a huge increase, in the 30% range, instead of just a cannibalization of the Orlando increase.

You can't say that fanboys are only a small portion of this. Do you really think that 30% increase for Orlando was locals wanting to see Harry Potter? People form around the world are going there. I mean really, if in 3 years, a duplicate of the Orlando Potter area opens in Hollywood, will that really be much bigger of a deal than any new ride opening there? Let's remember, the Potter bump was simply ginormous.

-RO

OK: I hate to say this (As I know a few of our members have serious Potter disorder)

If I were in LA, and had to choose between USH or DIsney, I'm headed to the Mouse House. This attraction/expansion gives me -no- reason to return to USH. There is NOTHING there that I've not seen nor enjoyed before.

And that, mind you, is not because I'm Anti-potter. That is a park goer who's seen USF/IOA. As a park enthusiast, there are many things I'd prefer to see first as a park attraction:

"BENCH: THE RIDE"

"PAINT DRYING: THE RIDE"

"JIM AND TAMMYE FAYE LAND"

"JESSE HELMS LAND"

It's not a turn-on attraction to me, and although Universal has made a mint off of it in Florida, it's not going to have that same powerin Hollywood: The foreign (Read: ASIAN) traffic there is much higher- and Potter did not cause the same levels of hysteria that he did in Europe or the USA.

In the end, they should have really considered something different or diverse- instead of a HP world.

You can't say that fanboys are only a small portion of this. Do you really think that 30% increase for Orlando was locals wanting to see Harry Potter? People form around the world are going there. I mean really, if in 3 years, a duplicate of the Orlando Potter area opens in Hollywood, will that really be much bigger of a deal than any new ride opening there? Let's remember, the Potter bump was simply ginormous.

I would put money on the fact 9/10 visitors to USH have never been to Orlando. It will still be a big deal.