TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Studios Hollywood (USH) Discussion Thread

There have already been rumors about moving the entrance to the tour to the Lower Lot, so it's conceivable that the area where it sits now could be used. I mean, they already loaded the tram for the Kong thing during HHN down there, the entire JP overflow queue is NEVER used. It really wouldn't be that hard to do.

They literally just remodeled the entire tram plaza/queue. I don't see it moving.

Not to mention the road on which they loaded the kong express is the main around the front lot. They only were able to load trams down there because there was no studio traffic due to it being after business hours.

I won't even get into how we also couldn't find an open drink stand to buy a diet coke, since the only open drinks were either right the front of the park, or Potterland (which isn't allowed to sell Coca-Cola products), and ended up having to buy a drink from a gift shop, because there weren't any other open drink stands in the park.

in 1999 - 2008, the park was never like this.

It's a real shame, because I personally would rank IOA as the "DisneySea of the USA", and after my last few visits, it was starting to feel like Six Flags had taken over operations.

What seems ironic to me is how Busch and Universal's operations seem to be getting worse as time goes on, but Six Flags has been getting better over the past few years. Even Disney seems to have gone downhill a bit. If the trend continues at this rate, we may soon be saying "Gee, I really wish Universal were run by Six Flags!"

In fact, Six Flags might be on its way to becoming the second most efficient American theme park chain. That is just sad. Five years ago, people would have laughed out loud at this post. Now, it might just come true.

There have already been rumors about moving the entrance to the tour to the Lower Lot, so it's conceivable that the area where it sits now could be used. I mean, they already loaded the tram for the Kong thing during HHN down there, the entire JP overflow queue is NEVER used. It really wouldn't be that hard to do.

Didn't the Studio Tour entrance use to be in the Lower Lot? I think Jurassic Park's queue use to be the queue for the Tour (hence why it is so dull), or I could be wrong. Then they moved the tour up to the upper lot when they built Jurassic Park. But yeah like what was just mentioned, they just finished remodeling the current queue area. And actually I think they are still working on it.

^^ If we go based off of a quote from Screamscape, the executives in charge could probably care less whether or not they just refurbished the tram station if it gets in the way of USH's potterland. At this point, it could really go anywhere.

Yup! TPR will be at the press conference tomorrow morning, which will include the president of Universal, president of Warner Bros, and the Governor of California. The press invite says "The event will highlight an array of news that will have significant impact on the Southern California economy, job creation and tourism industry. Even more exciting news will also be revealed."

Keep an eye on our Twitter and Facebook feed tomorrow morning starting at 11:00am PST!

Twitter:

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/themeparkreview

Whatever your thoughts are on Potter, this will be good for the entire region. Potter will force the other parks to step up their game in a big way to stay competitive.

In particular, imagine that after seeing the results from Orlando, Disney won't stand by idly this time and let Harry Potter steal their thunder.

^I don't think it will overshadow Cars Land cause that opens this summer. This would probably open in two more years, so the newness of Cars Land would be more subdued by then. I really think that Disney will need to have something else to battle this. Relying on "We already have something good enough" is how UNI got one up on them in the first place.

Relying on "We already have something good enough" is how UNI got one up on them in the first place.

Wait, what am I missing? How did Universal get the 'one up' on Disney!? Potterdump is great and everything but WDW still shits all over Uni with money and guests.

Relying on "We already have something good enough" is how UNI got one up on them in the first place.

Wait, what am I missing? How did Universal get the 'one up' on Disney!? Potterdump is great and everything but WDW still shits all over Uni with money and guests.

Um, yeah, judging by the crowds at Universal Orlando yesterday versus the crowds at Walt Disney World yesterday, I don't think Universal one-uped anyone...other than themselves!!!

Um, yeah, judging by the crowds at Universal Orlando yesterday versus the crowds at Walt Disney World yesterday, I don't think Universal one-uped anyone...other than themselves!!!

HAHAHA, that might be true.

Maybe im wrong here, but wasn't there a comparison or an earning report put out that showed that UNI Vs. Disney people where choosing UNi because of Harry Potter, or no?

HAHAHA, that might be true.

Maybe im wrong here, but wasn't there a comparison or an earning report put out that showed that UNI Vs. Disney people where choosing UNi because of Harry Potter, or no?

Not that I've ever seen or heard of.

^I believe Coaster Freak is thinking about a report on revenue and / or attendance growth, which naturally showed huge year over year gains for Universal Orlando while Disney showed little change. That doesn't change the fact that if those flat Disney results are still 10 or 20 times (or whatever - I'm making numbers up now) Universal's, in actual terms Disney dominates.

While there has to be a percentage of visitors that choose WDW over UNI because of Harry Potter, Disney still managed to have great attendance and revenue gains this year (in a much more macro way than Universal because the attendance is that much higher). I'm thinking the number of people that would have gone to WDW but instead decided to go to UNi over the past 2 years is somewhere around 5 percent. I also think a good percentage of the people that flew down to Orlando to visit Harry Potter this year decided to add a few days at WDW to their stay..

“We welcome Harry Potter to Central Florida,” said Michael Griffin, a Disney vice president. “Because experience has shown us that any new offering in this market helps draw additional visitors to our resort.”

^Although obviously not an accurate cross section of the population of people visiting Orlando, that sounds very similar to what I've seen from people I know. The Disney families/groups still went to Disney but often added a day trip to Universal Studios. I did notice, however, a TON of people (mostly college students) that visited Orlando for the first time for the sole purpose of visiting Harry Potter and the vast majority of them thoroughly enjoyed their visit and can't wait to go back. So in the end, both resorts seem to be benefiting from Harry Potter.

To be honest, I kind of look at the "good year" Universal had was kind of like that one year where Sega beat out Nintendo (back in the 16-bit days when Sonic was released, and Genesis was the short-reigning king).

Sega needed to keep doing what they did, but instead they just fumbled and screw things up. Now look where they are compared to Nintendo.

I feel exactly the same way about Universal. While I liked their product "as is" before Harry Potter, it did give them a "boost" that they needed....now, the question is, will what they follow up with continue to sustain that boost or not.

I never looked at this as a "Disney vs. Universal" thing, I felt it was more about "Universal versus their own expectations", and for once they finally well exceeded those goals.