TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Studios Hollywood (USH) Discussion Thread

Some awesome points all the way around.

And yes, Elissa, you are right. There won't be (as much) outcry if Waterworld, Shrek or T2 go away like there was with Lost Continent (and rightfully so).

I think a few people have hit the nail on the head though, even though much of the upper-lot is "old and busted" Universal Studios is first and foremost a "Movie Studio" and a Movie Studio Park. Having the entire upper lot be "Harry Potter", while awesome for fans, would suck.

The only feasable way, IMO, is for the entrance to the land be near where Shrek is currently then using that entire back area from Waterworld to Gibson for the land. This way you are really only "technically" losing two shows, but hopefully getting multiple attractions and shows in it's place. I'm sure the are where the Amphitheater could easily fit Hogwarts, Forbidden Journey and at least one other attraction.

From the picture below:

- Green = Current Shrek - Future = Entrance to Hogsmeade, Hogsmeade shops, etc.

- Red = Current Gibson - Future = Hogwarts, Forbidden Journey, more shops? Another attraction?

- Blue = Current Waterworld - Future = HP Themed Coaster?

HPUSH1.jpg.78dafb5df574814e82997da429306cae.jpg

In regards to the upper lot attractions. The only reason I would be against them taking out Waterworld is because it would leave the park without a live action stunt show (unless you count Terminator) which is something that I think a park like USH with its movie making theme should always have. But then they can always build a new one because Waterworld seems to me as something that they have milked along for a quite few years longer than it should have. Unless they see keeping it around longer as a way to save money after the movie flopped so badly (actually I get the impression that most people don't know it is based after a movie). And yes I would miss the show, but there is always Youtube.

Next I think that the Special Effects show should stay because of it fits with the movie making theme that the park is known for. But its castle theater setup feels kinda temporary for me even after they moved it from the Transformers spot two years ago. So they very well might move it somewhere else again.

Shrek and Terminator I have seen them enough that I won't really miss them at all. Animal Actors and Curious George I wouldn't personally miss but they are the only family attractions that the park has right now, so it would be kinda weird to take them out without family attractions to replace them. And the whole Europe area around Terminator has always seem kinda pointless to me, unless you like taking pictures of you in front of those buildings. To me it was them recreating Europe streets sets from the backlot and putting it in the park.

But as far as the upper lot goes the only things that I don't think are in danger are the entry gate, Simpsons, and the Backlot Tour. (unless if they reconfigure some of the tour by the parking garage.

I always found it weird to compare USH to other Socal parks because the park really hasn't been about rides but more so the movie industry and how movies are made. And a lot of non theme park tourist to Socal tend to be very interested in that rather than going to park like SFMM or KBF that to them they see no difference from their local park back home.

Edited by gforce532

^ I think USH will always have shows ... as they should. If they take out Waterworld, they still have the Animal Stage and the Wild West arena. Is that even still set up as an arena? The only time it's used now is for HHN.

They could hopefully put something back in that spot.

I guess they could "technically" use the T2 side of the upper lot, I just don't think they could put any kind of "ride" on top of the Frankenstein parking structure. The only thing they could be able to do is totally remove that structure and have that be a show building for something.

^I actually always forget that Terminator and the Europe area are on top of that parking structure.

Now don't get me wrong I'm not saying don't build Potter or rides. I'm just think they should to hold on to being USH rather than become Universal Orlando west coast.

If they take out Waterworld, they still have the Animal Stage and the Wild West arena. Is that even still set up as an arena? The only time it's used now is for HHN.

I believe it also hosts the Christmas Grinch greeting and snow play area.

I'm not a harry potter fan and the ride in Orlando gives me a bit of motion sickness after multiple rerides. The land is kind of lame, crowded and small. I suspect they will make many changes to the land to better accomodate the influx of people this time around. That being said, I think it's a great addition to USH as it will bring the crowds. With crowds means more money for maintenance and other capital improvements.

I've been a fan of this franchise since childhood - but there's a point were I say "ENOUGH!". Harry Potter is a great book series, and has had alot of positive and negative press over the past decade. It's easy to read, you can relate with the younger generation and understand afew ounces of what they have to say today. I'm not saying the older generation is behind in any regard, it's just easier to relate on a degree of books and personal opinion.

There's a level where a brand can go so far and then there's the matter of milking it of worth. I believe the brand is getting to milking point of money, while I think it's a good idea. This has to be the final land or park Universal greenlights - it's just too much after this, I used to love Pokemon which was another 90's craze. But because of all the games and products, I'm like "Ugh - there goes another quality part of my childhood down the drain". I really don't want to see this with HP - or another book series, Eragon for that matter.

EDIT: Welp, post #1300 is negative. Did not want to hit this marker on negativity. But, alas.

^Yes, but I feel that Potter is on the same level as Star Wars and Star Trek where it has such a stong fanbase that its popularity will not die anytime soon. Of course the Star Wars and Star Trek universe are still expanding, whereas from what I know Harry Potter is just going to be the 7 books and 8 movies.

Im against it. I feel like a lot of people forget Universal Hollywood is a movie studio, not an immersive adventure park like IoA. Now, if USH were to add a walk through exhibit of the movie sets, that would be cool. I just don't think it would fit there and it takes away from the originality of the IoA park like someone said earlier. I. HATE. CLONES.

Regarding potterland at USJ, remember that USJ is not actually owned/operated by Universal. That is probably a deal breaker, as it came out when Blackstone sold its half of Universal that there was a clause in the licensing deal stating that Universal had to own/control the park or the licensing deal would end. You can never say never, but I do think that it is going to take a bit more time to get potterland into USJ/Singapore/any future parks Universal only licenses the brand to.

Regarding expansion, keep in mind that Universal is also working on its "vision plan" that would be a major redevelopment of the entire property. Part of that was possibly removing Gibson and building a smaller theater behind ifly (along with a new hotel, more space for city walk, addition/subtraction of things on the backlot, and a new attraction for the wild west arena)...

Edited by Jew

I think this is generally a good idea. And I've never even read any of the books, nor seen any of the movies. I know, I live under a rock.

To a certain degree, no one's going to care what a bunch of coaster/park fanatics think. We're talking about the general population here. They're the ones who keep going to IOA for Harry Potter, and fuel the fire, so to speak. And I think the GP is going to be overwhelmingly for it. Isn't that their bottom line?

And just because the rest of IOA may be going to pot, that doesn't mean the same will happen here. Isn't IOA like, at least 3 or 4 times bigger than USH? Of course it's going to be harder to keep the rest of it up. And besides, since when have properties on two coasts have the same management ideas? I mean look at the maintenance/upkeep differences between Disneyland and WDW. What happens at one doesn't necessarily happen at the other.

Let's also not forget that no substantial details have been released yet, either. No one knows what, if any, rides/shops/attractions will be copied, if they're copied at all. No sense in creating opinions about specifics until more is known.

^That's a great point. Prior to Comcast purchasing Blackstone's stake, the parks shared little in common besides the name. They were two separate entities with totally different operating structures/policies/etc.

I for one think that Harry Plopper is going to end up being a fading memory in another decade- requiring a huge capital outlay to change up the parks again- and possibly at a time when it's not resourceful to do so.

(As an example) Look at Tommorowland, and it's facelifts over the past 20 years- and still no end in site to it. Now in 10 years, picture the Plopperverses having to be gutted, updated and changed- only without Disney's resources. It will be a HUGE mess. And an EXPENSIVE renovation.

Harry, it's time to retire. You've got grey hair in the latest film.

Perhaps we'll see a more time-and theme- friendly redesign though in the future. I still think there's a lot of Universal properties that could be far more entertaining in the parks, and some that would work well with the feeding frenzy of 'Haunts' out there. Steven King's novels could be made into long-lasting scare attractions/ride through attractions.

^The "Harry Potter is just a fad" thing has been beaten to death on this forum already...

Tomorrowland is not even a fair comparison. Our vision of "tomorrow" is rapidly evolving, so any land themed to the future will naturally always need to be updated to be current.

Edited by Jew

And honestly, before Harry Potter went in, wasn't IOA already starting to show some wear from poor maintenance? Harry wasn't the beginning of the problem at IOA and if anything it should have helped the isse there with poor conditions. But the park is still rather hum drum and they are making a ton of money now.

Its all to do with management and how they decide to spend money. If Harry Potter is built at USH it doesn't mean the rest of the park will suffer.