TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Studios Hollywood (USH) Discussion Thread

But....taking out Terminator and building Hogwarts in the space would provide a huge opportunity to build a true marquee structure that would be directly visible from the freeway and many miles around. How could they say no to that?

The thing is, Terminator is built on top of a parking structure. It can only hold so much weight before...well, you can use your imagination. The structure takes enough ware from the seat drop every half hour or so already. Just imagine if a multi-million dollar themed ride were built on top of it. With that said, I see it going in the Gibson and WaterWorld--especially since I've heard that this will be an expansion.

I think it's something the park needs. All they really have there right now is Simpsons (BTTF RIP), Jurassic Park, Mummy, the Studio Tour, and Transformers (not open yet). Harry Potter could actually add some incentive for me to actually go to the park sometime...

I'm not sure whether to be for or against this...

I'm hoping if it does happen, they try and do another part of the Wizzarding World like someone mentioned Diagon Alley.

Unfortunately, people would complain about FL having the Castle and us not having it, so I assume they'll have the Castle.

I'm relatively sure Waterworld/Shrek/Gibson could all be razed with minimal damage to crowds now that Transformers in almost done. If they do some kind of a new show or Studio Tour feature also I think they could still draw in decent crowds during what I assume will be an immense project.

I also believe it will do less damage to the surrounding park.

Also even though Disney is doing the Avatarland at AK, I wonder if it would still be possibly to do an Avatar atttraction where T2 is now, as previously rumored.

I'm not sure whether to be for or against this...

Also even though Disney is doing the Avatarland at AK, I wonder if it would still be possibly to do an Avatar atttraction where T2 is now, as previously rumored.

My Spidey senses are telling me no. I could see a Terminator reboot instead since Universal has bought the rights to Terminator.

I think this is a good move for the park. I am not a big Harry Potter fan. I read the first five books in middle school and have seen some of the movies, but never went crazy about it like some people have. I recently went to IoA and was surprisingly impressed with the Harry Potter land and how popular it was. The rides were very well designed and themed and although I love the original Dueling Dragons, I have to say they did a good job retheming it. On that particular day, the rest of the park had 5 to 10 minute lines for nearly every attraction, but the Harry Potter section was swamped with people. They even had a 20 minute wait just to get butter-beer. I think not building more of these sections at other Universal parks would be a bad decision, based off of the popularity and success of the Florida parks.

At the same time, I really didn't like how the crowds were spread over the park. It wasn't very enjoyable having 75% of the park dead and 15% of the park packed, and the areas directly next to the Harry Potter section) somewhat filled with Harry Potter traffic. This isn't that big of a deal, but it's not as enjoyable to visit a section of the park that's over-filled with people. I understand that new rides/ sections will typically have more congestion than other older sections of parks, but this seemed a little bit extreme.

Anyways, I think this would be a good addition to the park, regardless of my like/dislike for Harry Potter. From my one visit to Universal Studios Hollywood in 2008, I did notice that the park seemed to be missing things for a younger audience to enjoy. This could be very successful and attract guests that normally wouldn't have cared to visit the park.

I'm excited by the competition aspect and what that will bring to the region, and I'm looking forward to hearing about the coasters, even if none will be major. I think it makes sense to make this largely different from the Florida version, since extreme Potter fanatics would probably love to see as much of the books brought to life as possible.

...Personally, I've never really seen anything that appealing about USH. Since I'm not a huge movie buff, I've always looked at it from the ride stand point, and compared to the other Universal parks, and the other major parks in California, it didn't stand a chance. If they bring in one or two major attractions, it could put it on the map for me.

Same here.

I am torn on this one. On the one hand I love Potter World at IOA for how unique it is, and if there is a copy of it then it loses its charm IMO. On the other hand, Disneyland and Disney World have many of the same attractions and they are doing just fine! I hope it isn't the exact same as IOA's.

I'm getting a feeling that people are less annoyed with Potter than that Universal Hollywood just isn't good enough to deserve the WWOHP, especially since I believe it will be the park's only themed land. Which would just make a park full of concrete and umbrellas look even crappier sitting right next to hogsmeade.

I'm against it, not because I hate Harry Potter or anything like that (in fact, I can tolerate it a heck of a lot more than that Twilight crap!) but because I think Universal did a really bad job with their original intentions. Yes, as far as everything Potter is concerned it was amazeballs, but did they really think killing the already wonderful and unique charm of Lost Continent was the way to go, in which they ran out of room quickly? Or would it have just been better to attempt to build on a whole new expansion to the park, not just a retheme and one new ride. Now there's all this talk about Florida killing off the rest of Lost Continent for more Potterizing, which we all knew would happen, but apparently the higher-ups at Universal didn't. To quote NBC/Universal employees Seth Meyers and Amy Poehler, "Really? Really!?"

The main draw at Universal Hollywood is and has always been the movies being filmed there and the backlot tour. I'll wait to see what the full announcement is, but that park seems small enough already, they're going to have to retheme and knock down a heck of a lot of attractions to get a decent Harry Potter World going on, pretty much removing everything that says Univeral Studios. I'd say just go with a Forbidden Journey clone, one gift shop attached, and 3 butterbeer carts outside and leave it at that with a sign saying "if you enjoyed this glimpse into the Harry Potter Experience, be sure to visit Orlando"...at least until Japan does it fully proper!

I'm all for it, anything to make USH better, and give attention to CA parks. Hopefully they'll differentiate it from the Florida one (Gibson amphitheater and Waterworld would be a good location), or at least if they make it similar they don't half-ass it.

I am all for Universal Studios Hollywood adding a Wizarding World of Harry Potter provided the following two conditions are met:

1. The park is not dominated by WWoHP: To me, Universal Studios Hollywood is just as much about movies as it is about rides, and it really isn't a normal theme park. The tram tour is still one of the best attractions, and they have shows that demonstrate behind-the-scenes techniques to create films, and these are the main reasons I visit the park. I really hope that adding a Harry Potter land wouldn't overshadow the non-traditional attractions, but would complement them as an additional reason to visit. I somewhat think this is what happened with IOA (the park has become all about Harry Potter and everything else is ignored), and I really don't want to see USH become another "Harry Potter Theme Park".

2. The land is NOT a clone of the Florida counterpart: I don't mind if some things are copied (setting, locations, layout, etc), but I would really prefer it if the main attractions are not the same as they are in Florida. Sure, Forbidden Journey may be a great ride, but there are so many things that could be done in the HP universe that I'd hate to see it here as well. I could probably come up with around 50 feasible attraction concepts for the land relatively easily, so I really hope that Universal isn't lazy with the project. Besides, I believe J.K. Rowling said she didn't want multiple Harry Potter Lands, but if they are all different there really isn't a reason only one should exist.

Regardless of the theme, Universal Studios Hollywood desperately needs some new attractions. It is only a hair cheaper than Disneyland, but I count only about a dozen attractions in the park (including Transformers), and I've never needed more than two-thirds of a day to do everything. As of right now, I consider USH the most overpriced park I've been to, and that, combined with the fact that it feels almost identical to what it was when I first visited in 2004, is why I typically only visit once every 3-4 years. As a fan of Harry Potter, if this land is built I would probably visit yearly, but if it is simply a carbon copy of the Florida one I would have very little incentive to add it to my itinerary when I finally get a chance to make a trip out there (currently hoping for sometime in the next few years...maybe 2014-2015).

I have to say im 75/25 against it. As I read, one thing that I kept seeing is "yes, cause USH needs a major update". It seems like people are for this not for the franchase but because they really wanna see the old crap taken out and some new life pumped into the park! Im all about uniquiness. One reason I haven't ventured to the west coast is because there really, on the surface, isn't anything unique enough to pull me there. I mean, theres disney land on the west, there's magic kingdom on the east...there's termi...apocalypse on the west, there's thunderhead on the east...and the list goes on and on. A soft spot in me wants to keep potter exclusive to orlando. Only a fool would think that would stay the case. I just wish there was something as popular that'll keep USH as busy as USF...

The difference between IOA and USH is that USH sort of sucks and feels pretty dated and mish mashed, ESPECIALLY the upper lot attractions. Gutting a lot of that crappy stuff and putting in something relevant is fine by me.

Agree one hundred per cent, went to Universal in Feb this year. My first time there since 1988 and to say it kinda sucked would be an understatement! King Kong was beyond awful and only worked if you where sitting in the right area of the tram.

JP , The Mummy , The Simpsons all fine, the tram tour was nothing like I remembered it to be ( with the new Spiderman filming half the tour was closed! )

Adding Potter could be a step in the right direction.

I voted "for it" with some reservations. I'm not a big Harry Potter fan, although I have nothing against the franchise (seen the movies, haven't read the books). But just because I don't care for Potter doesn't mean that adding it to USH is a bad idea. It does put butts through the turnstiles, as IOA has shown, and this along with Transformers (not a fan of them either) should give USH the boost it needs. I think Wes makes a good point here.

But I hope Universal learns a few lessons from IOA--for example, avoiding the cramped feel of Potterland in Florida (this is my biggest knock against it--the damn place is always mobbed).

Edited by cfc

I'm against it...

- Everyone here knows I hate Potter. That is only a small reason I'm against it though.

- Construction of this is going to be a nightmare and ruin the park for at least two years.

- Judging from IOA, the rest of the park will now be ignored.

- Are we just going to see a bunch of cookie cutter potter lands go up now? Like others have said, at least we can hold out hope that the USJ one blows all the rest out of the water.

- I'm assuming quite a few licenses and attractions will be lost with the Potterizing, bummer as even the old and busted ones are still more interesting to some people that Potter.

I do have some pros about it:

- Take the focus off of IOA's Potter, maybe it won't be quite as obnoxious over at IOA if there are more potterverses around the country and world for JK Rowling to terrorize.

- I think it will fit in and do much better at USH than it did at IOA. I mean, I don't think there will be any big outcry if ANY of the upper lot attractions end up in a dumpster, unlike when the Dragons got killed.

- When the BIG ONE happens, I'll get to watch Potterdom fall into the pacific ocean!

I am 110% percent for this. Anything that can kill off that absurd "vision" plan where they planned to tear down Bates Motel / House, and sell off the backlot for condos is fantastic. Much rather to see USH expand and become a much better overall experience. The entire HP land of IOA can be built without disrupting the upper or lower lots. Going from the remnants of Whoville up through War of The Worlds to the Mummy tunnel part of the tram tour. They can easily relocate the Bates motel to another part of the tram tour if they needed too. That is more than enough space to build Hogsmeade and the FB. I would expect the west coast version to really only feature the FB, and the retail / dining, because of the noise issues with neighbors and the backlot. Be great to have two indoor attractions, but not expecting it.

Even though I'm against the potential cookie cutter aspect of the new Potter land, I fully support this project for pretty much the same reasons everyone else has stated.

With Transformers going into the park and the potential new Potter expansion, USH seems to be stepping up its game and will hopefully become as competitive as the other SoCal parks.

Disney and Universal are well-known for producing cookie cutter rides/themes and distributing them throughout all their parks (Jurassic Park, Tower of Terror). As long as Universal has a unique ride in mind for USH, having a cookie cutter land shouldn't be that big of a deal. Plus, IOA already has enough unique rides that make the park stand out above the rest.

I personally think this is a great idea. I have never been to USH so I believe this would be a good thing for the park's future. Harry Potter will be popular for a long time to come. I just hope they do not make it the same exact as the one in FL. This way it will give people a reason to go to both to see the differences.

Judging from IOA, the rest of the park will now be ignored.

Based on my last visit to IOA, this is a concern for me, too. Although the Wizarding World was bustling all day, the rest of the park seemed a bit dead, which came in handy when Ginny and I decided to hold off on Potter and ride Spider-man, Hulk, and RRnR instead (Ginny really wanted to get that credit at the Studios). So, I'd say that Potter was both a blessing and a curse for IOA.