TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Studios Hollywood (USH) Discussion Thread

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

^Maybe I'm missing your point, but what does advanced motion simulation and physical effects have to do with the Simpsons Ride remaining relevant?

The ride's relevance will be based on the popularity of the franchise, the longevity of the franchise's shelf life (especially after the show is brought to an end) and the rider numbers the attraction receives over the course of time.

At the end of the day the general public (the people whom real decisions in theme parks are based on) won't look at the two attractions (especially because the two of them aren't even in the same parks/resorts) and compare them and choose not to ride one or the other. It just doesn't work like that.

^Maybe I'm missing your point, but what does advanced motion simulation and physical effects have to do with the Simpsons Ride remaining relevant?

The ride's relevance will be based on the popularity of the franchise, the longevity of the franchise's shelf life (especially after the show is brought to an end) and the rider numbers the attraction receives over the course of time.

At the end of the day the general public (the people whom real decisions in theme parks are based on) won't look at the two attractions (especially because the two of them aren't even in the same parks/resorts) and compare them and choose not to ride one or the other. It just doesn't work like that.

What I meant to say is, are guests are even going to pay attention to the Simpsons Ride anymore when Transformers opens? It's going to do everything Simpsons does, but better times ten.

Either you, I think you already answered my question. I could see it as Simpsons provides humor wile Transformers provides action-packed realistic thrills.

Huh?

I think what Jedi is saying is that Simpsons is not in Singapore. He wasn't referring to Transformers.

^Yeah, definitely was referring only to Singapore. That being said, I can admit that at the time of the post I completely forgot about Hollywood's version of the new ride.

Looking at Hollywood, I don't think Transformers will cannibalize The Simpsons Ride any more than Orlando's Spiderman cannibalized Back to the Future when it debuted. Back to the Future still had consistent lines after Spiderman opened up, so I can't imagine Transformers would do anything to hurt The Simpsons Ride enough to notice.

Looking at Hollywood, I don't think Transformers will cannibalize The Simpsons Ride any more than Orlando's Spiderman cannibalized Back to the Future when it debuted. Back to the Future still had consistent lines after Spiderman opened up, so I can't imagine Transformers would do anything to hurt The Simpsons Ride enough to notice.

Spiderman and Simpsons are in two different parks though. I dunno, part of me could see the Simpsons being cannibalized somewhat. USH has a very strong reliance on screen based attractions right now: Simpsons, Shrek, Kong on the tram tour, Terminator, and now Transformers. Shrek and Terminator are both obviously long in the tooth, and I'd be very happy to see Transformers drop the metaphorical guillotine on both of those. Simpsons is at least humor based and a good experience, so it'll probably last a bit longer.....though if I were to want to put a Hogwarts in the park, that seems like a very ideal location.

Read below and answer this question: "Where do you think they can put this in the park???"

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204397704577070691060558140.html

By LAUREN A. E. SCHUKER

Harry Potter is riding his magic broomstick to Southern California.

NBCUniversal is planning to expand its Los Angeles theme park with a section devoted to the "Harry Potter" franchise, according to people familiar with the matter, hoping to repeat the success of a similar attraction at NBCU's Orlando, Fla., resort.

The new "Harry Potter" addition in the Los Angeles park, Universal Studios Hollywood, will likely resemble the one in Florida, these people say, which includes a Hogwarts Castle, roller coasters, and several Potter-themed restaurants including the Hog's Head tavern, which serves butterbeer, as in the books.

If the new section succeeds, more "Potter" attractions could open in other parts of the world where Universal has theme parks, including Japan, Singapore, and Spain, say people close to Universal.

NBCU, which is majority owned by Comcast Corp., is expected to make an announcement about the initiative next week, according to those people.

A spokeswoman for Universal declined to comment.

Universal opened the first Harry Potter theme park attraction at its Universal Orlando Resort, called "The Wizarding World of Harry Potter," in June 2010. Costing roughly $220 million to build, the addition has helped draw bigger crowds to Universal Orlando, which has long lagged behind rival theme parks in the area operated by Walt Disney Co.

In May, after "The Wizarding World" was open for almost a year, the company reported that attendance at the Universal Orlando Resort in the first quarter had soared to 2.8 million visitors from 1.7 million in the year-earlier period. In the first quarter of 2011, revenue for the resort nearly doubled, to $309 million.

The Potter brand is powerful. The series of seven books by J.K. Rowling spawned eight movies produced by Time Warner Inc's Warner Bros., growing into the largest film franchise in Hollywood history.

Universal paid an undisclosed sum to license the "Harry Potter" theme park rights from Warner Bros. for the Orlando Resort and is likely to strike a similar deal for the Los Angeles attraction. Warner also receives some royalties on merchandise. Ms. Rowling approved the original attraction in Orlando and any plans for future "Harry Potter" theme parks, including the Hollywood location, require her consent. Warner Bros. declined to comment. A representative for Ms. Rowling said she was not available to comment.

Comcast took a majority stake in NBC Universal earlier this year and quickly doubled down on its theme park sector, this summer purchasing 50% of the Orlando Resort that NBC didn't already own from Blackstone Group LP for $1.025 billion. In November, Comcast Corp. reported adjusted operating cash flow for the theme parks of $644 million year to date, compared with a loss of $81

Thanks to Croniq for getting us the story! Discuss away!

Edited by jedimaster1227

wow!

ADMIN EDIT: I went ahead and copied the story to the first post! Thanks for grabbing this for us Chris!

CHRIS EDIT: Let the speculation about where they could actually fit this land in USH begin.

Edited by Chroniq

A lot of people are going to complain, but this is a great move for USH - it really felt like a one-visit park when I was there, and I can't imagine that locals go there more often than they do other parks in the general area. Having Harry Potter down the street could easily change that, especially seeing how much good it did for the Orlando parks.

I'll be curious to see where it's going - up the hill, I imagine, and taking the place of a few existing rides/shows? Does Waterworld and the surrounding area clear up a decent chunk of land, maybe?

Wow, great addition.

You know.... I had thought Harry Potter had run its course now that the last movie had been released -- but its

just as popular as ever. The new land at Florida really did pump up IOA. I'm sure it will be just as great for

California.

The more Hogwarts, the better!

I wonder how this one will relate to the one here in Florida. I doubt it'll have any major roller coaster since ours already had its coasters before construction. So I'm guessing this one will just have Hogsmeade, Hogwarts, and HPatFJ??

I'm cool with more Harry Potter, I loved the books. I haven't read them since the release of the last one though, so I've forgotten quite a bit.

I finally visited the one in Florida a few weeks ago, and honestly was a little underwhelmed. Maybe it was just really talked up. The overall atmosphere was cool, but I think more shops need to be open other than just facades. There were essentially three small stores and a restaurant. I was ready to be blown away by Forbidden Journey, but ended up liking Spider-Man better. One other thing, It'd be cool to have some more actors simply walking around and interacting with guests, or the workers keeping in some sort of character. The overall concept is good, and the buildings look really nice, but I don't think it's enough to be as big of a reason to visit as it is for many people now.

I wonder how this one will relate to the one here in Florida. I doubt it'll have any major roller coaster since ours already had its coasters before construction. So I'm guessing this one will just have Hogsmeade, Hogwarts, and HPatFJ??

I'm interested in seeing if it'll be a carbon copy theme-wise, or if we'll see something like a Gringott's indoor ride or that new moving-platform dark ride that they patented a little while ago. I guess we'll find out soon enough!