TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR: Cypress Gardens - 9/6/06

Now, the whole park is a snorefest for anyone over the age of 13.

Jeebus H. Christ...

Last time I went to Magic Kingdom was back in 2003, when I was FOURTEEN F***iNG YEARS OLD! I had fun, along with the others in my trip (who were in the 14-18 range). Teens like MK alot, the Mountain's there are thrilling, the teacups and Buzz Lightyears were fun, Haunted Mansion and PotC also made us smile.

A ride you would expect at Cedar Point DOES NOT fit in at Magic Kingdom and deliver the same amount of fun as they would.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How does this place stay open? I've seen more exciting looking parking lot carnivals.

dt

Remember, this was a visit in September. All the theme parks in the Orlando area are pretty dead around September after Labor Day. I went to Disney-MGM in a Saturday in mid-September once. Rock N Roller Coaster and TOT had no wait at 2 pm! Usually, the wait is at least 30 minutes. Being that Cypress Gardens brings in less people than the major parks, you'll probably end up with a deserted park.

Cypress Gardens does get busy, particularly on concert days. I went on a concert day. A few hours before the concert, the park was packed! The Vekoma kiddie coaster had a line that ran all the way down the ramp to the end of the stairs. That was the longest line I've ever seen for it!

And I fail to see where the Magic Kingdom has deteriorated. We were just there this past weekend and the place looked GREAT! I didn't notice a SINGLE THING in the park that even looked remotely "let go."

--Robb "Haven't waited in a Disney line longer than 10 minutes in YEARS!" Alvey

Don't take my word for it.... Go to the library and look up the Orlando Sentinel (lexus-nexus) articles about the topic (from late last year). They did a full week of stories on the Deterioration of Magic Kingdom. They took pictures of buildings on Main Street that were closed "for renovation" -- when they were actually suffering structural failures from neglect. They even tied several recent accidents to poor maintenance. The last time I went, several of the attractions had broken animatronics and dirty bathrooms. This never would have happened in the '80s, but Eisner's last 5 years of cost cutting has taken its toll.

Sigh. Just as you enjoy Cypress Gardens and are a bit biassed to it - you can tell by my handle that I am a bit biased to WDW, and that is not going to change for either of us and I respect your opinion. But with that said....

The articles you are referring to focused on issues that DisneyLAND had .. not WDW. Although they did throw in a few random WDW pictures here and there to try and confuse the reader and to get people to buy papers. Buildings closed on Main Street for renovation... Whats wrong with that? That happens all the time and helps keep up the pristine image. IMHO the parks here and at DL look better today than at any point within the last 10 years...but we all have clouded glasses that we look through, mine are probably a bit rose colored and you and the sentinels a bit greyish.

The Orlando Sentinel is KNOWN for being very biased against WDW... unfortunately many of the long term Orlando residents feel that way as well (in stark contrast to the OC and LA residents around DL). People in Orlando have a tendency to forget that if it was not for WDW - Orlando would be nothing more than a place on the interstate to stop and get gas on the way to Tampa.

Sigh. Just as you enjoy Cypress Gardens and are a bit biassed to it - you can tell by my handle that I am a bit biased to WDW, and that is not going to change for either of us and I respect your opinion. But with that said....

The articles you are referring to focused on issues that DisneyLAND had .. not WDW. Although they did throw in a few random WDW pictures here and there to try and confuse the reader and to get people to buy papers. Buildings closed on Main Street for renovation... Whats wrong with that? That happens all the time and helps keep up the pristine image. IMHO the parks here and at DL look better today than at any point within the last 10 years...but we all have clouded glasses that we look through, mine are probably a bit rose colored and you and the sentinels a bit greyish.

The Orlando Sentinel is KNOWN for being very biased against WDW... unfortunately many of the long term Orlando residents feel that way as well (in stark contrast to the OC and LA residents around DL). People in Orlando have a tendency to forget that if it was not for WDW - Orlando would be nothing more than a place on the interstate to stop and get gas on the way to Tampa.

Sorry, but you are wrong here.

The extensive coverage in the Sentinel was mostly about Walt Disney World (local photos, many of which leaked by WDW staffers) -- and constantly talked about the failure of the 34 year old buildings and support structures. While the articles did make comparisons to California's DisneyLand -- the bulk of the continuing stories were about the Orlando attraction. Regardless of the Sentinel being biased or not -- Walt Disney World has a proven track record of removing sophisicated attractions that would appeal to adults like Carosel of Progress, Mission to Mars, Alien Encounter, Magic Journeys, etc. etc. and replacing them with strictly kiddie fare. As a member of Gen X, I can clearly say that there is nothing that interests me at the Magic Kingdom any more -- this is sad really, as Alien Encounter was probably my all time favorite theme park attraction.

....and no I don't agree with your assessment of the current condition of the park. I think the Magic Kingdom looked downright ghetto when I visited earlier this year. With burned out bulbs flickering, dirty bathrooms, broken animatronics, peeling paint on buildings, overflowing garbage cans etc. etc. The park is a former shell of its former glory. All because of the penny pinching.

Now, the whole park is a snorefest for anyone over the age of 13.

Jeebus H. Christ...

Last time I went to Magic Kingdom was back in 2003, when I was FOURTEEN F***iNG YEARS OLD! I had fun, along with the others in my trip (who were in the 14-18 range). Teens like MK alot, the Mountain's there are thrilling, the teacups and Buzz Lightyears were fun, Haunted Mansion and PotC also made us smile.

A ride you would expect at Cedar Point DOES NOT fit in at Magic Kingdom and deliver the same amount of fun as they would.

But I never said anything to the contrary -- I merely stated the the Magic Kingdom is a lackluster and outdated offering as compared to say Islands of Adventures. But for those of us who have been attending the Magic Kingdom since before you were born.... can probably see its decline in stature. I've been attending the Magic Kingdom since 1979 and I am saddened by Disney's lack of effort to keep the park relavent. They haven't added/changed anything to keep pace with the superior parks that now exist in Central Florida.

They haven't added/changed anything to keep pace with the superior parks that now exist in Central Florida.

They have added shows and stuff that are great for families. In 2004, the park got Stitch (to replace Alien Encounter, a bad decision yes, but something new), and before that, Mickey's PhilharMagic. Oh yeah, they rehabbed Pirates of the Caribbean THIS PAST YEAR.

You were saying?

[EDIT- One more flame]

Disney's lack of effort to keep the park relavent.

Hmm, I don't see Millennium Force inside Adventureland... everything is still relevant somewhat. Although, Stitch doesn't seem like "the future" though, but where else can you cram a science fiction ride?

I've got you trapped in an alleyway. Also, Disney has a word for you, its not trying to become an uber-thrillpark like Islands of Adventure, its trying to stay a FAMILY ORIENTED park, with one or two big thrill rides. Its not clustered with huge thrills on every corner of the park like IOA.