TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR: Cypress Gardens - 9/6/06

Even though Cypress Gardens is only about 30 minutes away from where I live, I had not taken the time to visit until yesterday. The appeal just was not really there for me - the mediocre reviews, the lack of signature attractions and being in the middle of nowhere all added up to a lack of interest. Well, this month is free for all Hospitality Industry Employees (Hi Joey! You can fly to FL and get in free to Cypress Gardens!) so Stacey and I decided to brave the wilds of Polk county and the the few credits there. It turned out to be an OK day with lots of rides closed and NO ONE in the park. It was worth "free" ...but not much more. Anyways.. on to the photos!

DSC03017.jpg.4d755f0ae2691affa6e6c80f63a1267b.jpg

This train is in *amazing* condition.

DSC03015.jpg.395f515c68867852e0a6558e368f3302.jpg

This was actually quite a fun little coaster! It looked in pretty poor condition but it gave a smooth ride. The ride ops both had "Meth Mouth" and started the ride while I was still putting my camera over the side on the ground, almost taking my arm wit

DSC03013.jpg.fe8531438f960eaf148a646f1073acf9.jpg

This was probably the most fun attraction the whole day! This is their spinning raft ride "Storm Surge" and boy does it spin! The amusing part was the ride op at the end who was sitting down and requested we pull ourselves up the upramp because our raft

DSC03009.jpg.1ef172d6e3f2bdc23e13f18189d6d871.jpg

Ahh.. *thats* why it is closed!

DSC03006.jpg.dd51ea82d1a4b3b9f96f51baa10ad55b.jpg

The first credit we come upon... CLOSED! Yae! What a good sign for the park.. /sarcasm

DSC03005.jpg.8063911333cb766c658bbbefba13dde8.jpg

OMG THIS PARK IS BUSY! Most rides had 1 ride op per 5-7 rides, they just followed you around. I kid you not!

DSC03004.jpg.7dc8a5637e09f91837237197198a344d.jpg

They are starting to build their (cough) haunts for their phobia Halloween event.

DSC03003.jpg.f60cdf55833b8f9433f364f578ce1651.jpg

Here is where we first learned that we are on our own with safety in this park. This is the line for the BBQ place, these stanchion holes are raised about 3 inches off of the ground and right in the middle of where you walk. It is *impossible* walk, ord

DSC03002.jpg.8fbbc6999f4deacbbe000f8fe117f0f9.jpg

Worst. BBQ Chicken. EVER. For 7.99 I got warm coleslaw, dried out chicken with no meat, hard cold corn and a pickle.. YAE!

DSC03000.jpg.2734394014881ac6304bbce7e337f5ca.jpg

Here is the *very dead* main street-esque food and merchandise area. Lots of nice little shops and very crappy food.

DSC02999.jpg.430f094f36d6099842633b6406a15ccb.jpg

Here are my bling-bling free tickets. Awww yeah!

DSC02998.jpg.7ba7b6b5828833fd479072463c665c4e.jpg

So perhaps I live a sheltered life, but I have never seen an ATM in a protective condom like this before. These were all over the park - a little self serve ATM kiosk with A/C and everything!

DSC02995.jpg.0259336e66e1f9c9e45b2f5ac8feeda4.jpg

These are the cars of everyone who was in the park... no.. seriously.. These were *all* the cars in the lot! It was amazingly dead. They were running the parking lot tram (which was a truck pulling a trailer with a metal bench) for the 500 feet to the e

DSC02994.jpg.95380d14aad81c2827a561f0691d09ca.jpg

This is what is called an establishing shot.

DSC02992.jpg.f0c34b82e6fea693574174265e71dde5.jpg

OMG - A *brand* new KFC that says it is Kentucky *FRIED* chicken...WTF?!?!

DSC02991.jpg.2bd38faf5a75f34335d54f7f4975ed24.jpg

On the way there you pass the site of the former Boardwalk and Baseball and Circus World (both home to credits!) Now it is just a mound of dirt :(

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More photos!

DSC03048.jpg.c4fd9b4afae169e2cfc2a5f025556873.jpg

Chicken Bryan goodness! :)

DSC03046.jpg.3c406f41ea93de9cc8a4f269f9b3a831.jpg

What a way to end a theme park day..

DSC03045.jpg.12842e73bf5114e1afa235644f88beca.jpg

Future site of an Aqua Trax!

DSC03044.jpg.dfd350f3b33f0b7983c428f816c9eef0.jpg

Hey! A vekoma kiddie-slc with its own xmas ornament. WTF?!?!?

DSC03040.jpg.6565a9ea06e6f1ae88e3057b7910b949.jpg

You can tell the gardens were from another time - they were even more deserted than the park, although very well taken care of.

DSC03038.jpg.f49132ea787e7a932c31dc2f29e64f79.jpg

The gardens area was beautiful..especially this huge banyan tree.

DSC03037.jpg.683aa8ac8c23427e63cd35286b8fbe9d.jpg

The water park was nicely laid out and empty - although it did look (like much of the park) "Off the Shelf"

DSC03036.jpg.8abf8b0d6dd8396a10e1a0a814a06a9f.jpg

If you would like to simulate going on the swamp thing - just look at this photo while you bang your head against the monitor.

DSC03033.jpg.a492c4c17e5492cebf41885b95f572fa.jpg

Going up the lift hill on swamp thing for a second time... not by choice - you *have* to ride two times.. Yae for headbanging! You can see the pieces of the Starliner in the back with grass growing over them.. :(

DSC03031.jpg.3cac12d84c3ace023386a0e38363d62f.jpg

Another one of the haunts they are building.

DSC03030.jpg.347b33c257151a542e0081f791c63433.jpg

This was my first experience on a Disko and not being a fan of spinny rides, it will probably be my last!

DSC03027.jpg.f06988be832fbdddce5e2c5269528bdd.jpg

Oh No! We have to go back through the "Bad side of town" to get to the rides!

DSC03026.jpg.194c1170ad9b5421ea197f3c27ec0109.jpg

This was actually one of the better things in the park and it had decent production values. I did feel bad since there were only 15 people watching it..

DSC03022.jpg.cac3f8d9742e5366de4b8db5bf6da942.jpg

We then had to fight for a seat at the Water Ski show... but it was worth it!

DSC03021.jpg.eb957f7d75e6f27ff49375acb9f31719.jpg

We then walked through what we like to call the "Scary section with lots of boarded up windows and doors" - At least their offices are closed as well as their attractions!

DSC03020.jpg.ab53ccc8f82b5c9d7bad7c2abc18cf00.jpg

New and CLOSED!

DSC03019.jpg.7d1e389f4faf94bd78b7f8068c3300ce.jpg

Is this a credit? Well it was open so it counts! We asked the ride op why all the closed rides and were told "There are a lot of things closed here...that sucks!"... Thanks!

DSC03018.jpg.d69529d35442f1788a7f884efa1add7d.jpg

For those of you who are too lazy to read the Zamprella catalog, you can just walk through this park!

haha that truely is the top of the class in central Florida. Humerous report -- I love the decay on the not-even-2-years-old woodie, but at least you got to ride the spinnng raft ride, stupid Tom broke it when we tried to ride

Why do I have a season pass to that dump?

- Joe

Thanks for the pics. This pretty much answered my question about whether the park was worth the admission price for a credit run. Umm, no thanks. By the looks of it, I guess we should get ACE on the scene and have them start finding a new home for the wood, huh?

It's always amazed me how long this park has continued to keep it's gates open, considering it's sandwiched between the giants of central Florida. Personally, I'm really starting to hear the clock ticking though....unfortunately. Crazy as it might sound to many of you out there, this place is pretty much a Florida landmark of sorts.

Glad you got the free credits. Those are always the best kind.

I am saddened to see this report. I have never been to CG and almost went earlier this year. We simply ran out of time, but I knew I would be back at Christmas time and hoped to go then. I have since hurt my back and all RC's are off until next year. I sure hope they take better care of the park and it makes it until I can ride me some Starliner!

I always thought that under the right owenership, Cypress Gardens could grow to become more like Bonfante. My only visit to CG was in the early '80s when there was literally nothing there but beautiful gardens, a boat ride, water ski show, some small kiddie flats, and a bunch of women dressed in colorful "southern belle-type" outfits.

Of course, I've only seen limited pictures of Bonfante, but CG had the foundation to be very similiar, or so I would think. Westcoasters, am I on the right track there?

It sounds bad (cause I would hate to see *any* park close) but I would rather see the State of Florida buy the gardens and preserve them - that is really the unique and beautiful part. The rest is very *carny*.

That actually almost happened until it was bought by the Wild Adventures owner.

That looks horrible.

My girlfriend's company picnic was there this year, and Cypress Gardens reps went to every location of the company (Watson Clinic in Lakeland) to sell the employees year long passes at a "reduced" rate before the employees knew the company was having it's picnic at CG. Tons of people spent the $60 for passes then 2 weeks later they were told they can buy passes for $20/person.

I'm glad we decided to go to Universal Orlando instead that day. Cypress Gardens looks awful.

I, too, miss Boardwalk & Baseball

Again, if this place survives somehow, and B&B right on I-4 died...that will just be insane!

CG wasn't very nice when we went there, we also had to find rideops and lots of attractions were closed. I *Love* Wild Adventures and was shocked at the difference in the parks.

I hope they shut down CG and send all the coasters to WA so they can give Cedar Point a run for their coaster record!!

But then again, where is our Cypress Garden fanboy member who claims that CG is better than the Magic Kingdom???

Again, if this place survives somehow, and B&B right on I-4 died...that will just be insane!

CG wasn't very nice when we went there, we also had to find rideops and lots of attractions were closed. I *Love* Wild Adventures and was shocked at the difference in the parks.

I hope they shut down CG and send all the coasters to WA so they can give Cedar Point a run for their coaster record!!

But then again, where is our Cypress Garden fanboy member who claims that CG is better than the Magic Kingdom???

B&B died because of politics not due to location. It was horribly mismanaged by HBJ and poorly promoted. Busch bought it to simply eliminate the competition -- at the time, B&B's wooden "Hurricane" coaster blew away any of the coaster offerings at Busch Gardens Tampa. Not to mention the fact that B&B offered a much nicer presentation (landscape, boadwalk, etc) than the so-so theming of BG Tampa.

...and I think I'm being horribly misquoted from previous posts about CG. I am not a CG fan boy. I merely said to cut it slack considering their annual pass to Wild Adventures/Cypress Gardens is about the same cost of a single day to Disney/Universal/Sea World.

....and for Senior Citizens, there are way more activities that would appeal to the older set at Cypress Gardens than Kiddie (Magic) Kingdom. It is sad to see them Cost Cutting the Gardens so bad, though.... and the Kids still prefer Cypress Gardens to Disney -- They hate waiting in line for 90 minutes for each ride at the Mouse House....

These lame reviews on this forum aren't going to change anything. CG is still set to match its record attendance last year. Wild Adventures is just as empty as Cypress Gardens on Weekdays. But both parks are packed on the weekends especially on concert days. I'll never understand the hating on CG -- it was never designed to compete with Disney.... Heck, it was around 40 years before the Mouse came to Florida.

While I am not really a Cypress fan, it sounds like we had a more sucessful visit than you did. We went in either July or Aug of last year in which there was a pretty good crowd in the park. Yeah, it was because there was an afternoon concert. While we did not have to wait long for any of the rides, they did at least had most, if not all, of the attractions open. They also had a t least a ride operator at every one of the rides. I guess with the concert series that they have, it will help to keep the park going.

I remember CG growing up in Atlanta. I always remember it being strictly gardens and water ski shows. It has also been around "forever." The rides section is relatively new, and I choose to look at their current problems as "areas of opportunity." Hopefully they can get their act together with the amusement park part of the experience.

Also, don't they have a huge Christmas Light festival? I seem to remember something about that a few years ago, but I could easily be thinking of something else.

david

B&B died because of politics not due to location. It was horribly mismanaged by HBJ and poorly promoted. Busch bought it to simply eliminate the competition -- at the time, B&B's wooden "Hurricane" coaster blew away any of the coaster offerings at Busch Gardens Tampa. Not to mention the fact that B&B offered a much nicer presentation (landscape, boadwalk, etc) than the so-so theming of BG Tampa.

Well, you're certainly not doing much to dispell any "fanboy" reputation...at least that's for sure.

As far as B&B's Hurricane/Roaring Tiger (2 credits? ) blowing away any of the Dark Continent's offerings at the time.....um, a woodie against two steel coasters? I'm not quite sure I see justification for any real comparisons, but eh, whatever. And although I did like B&B's atmosphere, layout, and cleanliness, how was the Dark Continent lacking in any of those categories? If anything, I thought they both represented themselves very well for what they were. I mean, seriously, we're talking about a park themed to traditional American boardwalk parks and the game of baseball, as compared to an African Safari-themed zoo/thrill park. Where's the comparison? Oh well.

Don't get me wrong, I loved B&B, and even Circus World before that. Heck, it was great during spring training to ride a coaster, then walk across the boardwalk to catch the Royals playing. I miss that aspect alot.

Scott "sorry to stray from CG discussion..just amazed that B&B resurfaced" B.

...and I think I'm being horribly misquoted from previous posts about CG. I am not a CG fan boy. I merely said to cut it slack considering their annual pass to Wild Adventures/Cypress Gardens is about the same cost of a single day to Disney/Universal/Sea World.

True - But you are really comparing apples to oranges. Uni, Sea World, WDW would never close down major attractions due to attendance without telling anyone (they do it for maintaince and is scheduled in advance). Or have rides that just appeal to either very small kids or adults (that have height requirements) and have almost nothing for the whole family. I guess I look at it that if they are going to play with the big boys - they have to be able to compete with the big boys. Right now they are on more of an "old town, magical midway" kinda level.

....and for Senior Citizens, there are way more activities that would appeal to the older set at Cypress Gardens than Kiddie (Magic) Kingdom. It is sad to see them Cost Cutting the Gardens so bad, though.... and the Kids still prefer Cypress Gardens to Disney -- They hate waiting in line for 90 minutes for each ride at the Mouse House....

Whose kids? Your kids? I would make a bet that 9 outta 10 kids age 5-11 would *much* rather go to the MK over Cypress. And for seniors, I see many more of them at Epcot on a weekday than I did on a weekday at Cypress.

Look.. I don't hate Cypress Gardens and I do respect your view of it - I just think it has some huge problems and identity issues it needs to deal with. I would much rather see it as a state run garden with a few animal exhibits and preserve that natural florida beauty.. I enjoy that a lot! They tried to replicate the formula of Wild Adventures here in the Orlando area while forgetting one huge thing - Wild Adventures has no competition within a few hours drive.. thats HUGE!

As far as B&B's Hurricane/Roaring Tiger (2 credits? ) blowing away any of the Dark Continent's offerings at the time.....um, a woodie against two steel coasters? I'm not quite sure I see justification for any real comparisons, but eh, whatever. And although I did like B&B's atmosphere, layout, and cleanliness, how was the Dark Continent lacking in any of those categories? If anything, I thought they both represented themselves very well for what they were. I mean, seriously, we're talking about a park themed to traditional American boardwalk parks and the game of baseball, as compared to an African Safari-themed zoo/thrill park. Where's the comparison? Oh well.

Scott "sorry to stray from CG discussion..just amazed that B&B resurfaced" B.

Seriously, B&B had two coasters -- not one. The Python and Boardwalk's Zoomerang were both lame barely 45 second duration coasters. I don't include lift hills with actual ride time.

But seriously, the short 1800 foot Scorpion was dwarfed by the Hurricane (which was nearly twice its size). Most people will probably agree that the Hurricane was the best coaster in Florida until its removal in 1990 (only the Starliner gave it a run).

....and Boardwalk and Baseball's theming, wooden boardwalks and lush landscape destroyed Busch's Asphalt Heaven.

Whose kids? Your kids? I would make a bet that 9 outta 10 kids age 5-11 would *much* rather go to the MK over Cypress. And for seniors, I see many more of them at Epcot on a weekday than I did on a weekday at Cypress.

Look.. I don't hate Cypress Gardens and I do respect your view of it - I just think it has some huge problems and identity issues it needs to deal with. I would much rather see it as a state run garden with a few animal exhibits and preserve that natural florida beauty.. I enjoy that a lot! They tried to replicate the formula of Wild Adventures here in the Orlando area while forgetting one huge thing - Wild Adventures has no competition within a few hours drive.. thats HUGE!

Seriously, Disney isn't what it used to be. Recent visits to the Tragic Kingdom have revealed similar deterioration problems as noted in the above photo tour. Not only has the cost-cutting killed the original disney park but its attractions keep getting "dumbed down" for young children. It used to offer sophisticated attractions like the Carosel of Progress and Alien Encounter for adults. Now, the whole park is a snorefest for anyone over the age of 13.

...and the above comparison is unfair as I would also guess that 9 out of 10 kids have never heard of Cypress Gardens. I'm just telling you what my kids like. My kids think Disney sucks and I agree. Our family favorites (Top 5) are #1 Islands of Adventures, #2 Universal Studios, #3 Sea World, #4 Cypress Gardens, #5 Animal Kingdom (since Everest opened).

I personally love Epcot, but my kids just aren't into it.

If we are fanboys of anything -- it is of Universal Orlando.

^Don't you think that your kids are just inheriting your attitude about Disney?

If I lived in Orlando, I would educate my kids and show them how awesome Disney can be. I wouldn't take them when there were 3 hour lines as you claim is always the case!

Yeah, if you're a Florida local you should know better. And if you're a Florida local AND a theme park enthusaist, then there is no excuse to be going to the park when there are 90 minute + waits.

We don't even live in Florida and we know better!

And I fail to see where the Magic Kingdom has deteriorated. We were just there this past weekend and the place looked GREAT! I didn't notice a SINGLE THING in the park that even looked remotely "let go."

--Robb "Haven't waited in a Disney line longer than 10 minutes in YEARS!" Alvey

^Don't you think that your kids are just inheriting your attitude about Disney?

If I lived in Orlando, I would educate my kids and show them how awesome Disney can be. I wouldn't take them when there were 3 hour lines as you claim is always the case!

That is probably true -- but its based on the overpriced nature of Disney.

Universal Studios destroys the tiny MGM studios.

Islands of Adventures trashes the outdated Tragic Kingdom.

.....and considering Disney costs about twice the price for annual passes for an inferior product..... You are paying for the Disney logo and not much else.

Those are the facts as I see them and I'm sticking to them....

And I fail to see where the Magic Kingdom has deteriorated. We were just there this past weekend and the place looked GREAT! I didn't notice a SINGLE THING in the park that even looked remotely "let go."

--Robb "Haven't waited in a Disney line longer than 10 minutes in YEARS!" Alvey

Don't take my word for it.... Go to the library and look up the Orlando Sentinel (lexus-nexus) articles about the topic (from late last year). They did a full week of stories on the Deterioration of Magic Kingdom. They took pictures of buildings on Main Street that were closed "for renovation" -- when they were actually suffering structural failures from neglect. They even tied several recent accidents to poor maintenance. The last time I went, several of the attractions had broken animatronics and dirty bathrooms. This never would have happened in the '80s, but Eisner's last 5 years of cost cutting has taken its toll.

I have been going to the Disney parks since I was three. Sure I admit that they have made a few blunders here and there (Taking out the original Journey into Imagination and Alien Encounter are two), but for the most part I think that the parks have and always been top notch. I know everyone has their opinions, and that is Ok. I just wanted to state that I think that the parks, overall, are just as good as they have been since I was a little kid.

scan0025_805.jpg.f1c818e02e08ed05542e2531f7fba7fc.jpg

Epcot 1983.