TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

P. 2017: Top Thrill Dragster RETIRED!?!?!?

Stupid can not be contained. This has nothing to do with the fencing, or anything. It has to do with the stupid that climbed in. The park could do absolutely nothing in this situation. Prayers to the family and everyone involved, however if you are that stupid to climb a fence to get your beloved iPhone, then you need to re-evaluate your values.

Do you think Cedar Point should upgrade there fencing. Maybe change it and make them more taller so people can't sneak into roller coasters and restricted areas if they loose there personal belongings? Make the fences more higher up and tight together to prevent people from entering restricted areas? Is this the first death to happen at Cedar Point? And wonder if all parks should do the same for fences making them higher up and tighter so people can't sneak in to prevent this in the future? This is not Cedar Point fault because he entered a restricted area. Why couldn't he wait till the park closes to get his belongings or have an employee get it for him? Doesn't Cedar Point check areas if people loose there stuff on roller coasters and I thought ride operators always say please put all loose articles in the storage areas before coming on to the rides or roller coasters? What was he carrying that he lost so important to get back?

You can't increase the height (aka, "make it more taller") of a fence that is underneath an inverted coaster...

Maybe change it and make them more taller so people can't sneak into roller coasters and restricted areas if they loose there personal belongings?

The more I think about this, the more amazed I am. Just to recap...

- The guy knew the nature of the ride. Not only could you plainly see the type of trains it had just from looking at it, but he had just ridden it.

- The guy jumped a fence and entered the ride area even though as I just said, he just rode the ride and saw how close it got to the ground and could plainly see the location of the track.

- The guy jumped another fence with signs all over it warning him of the danger he was in even though he shouldn't need a sign because he just rode the damn ride. Even if he didn't just ride the ride you could see by looking at it that you shouldn't be standing under the track. It's the same thing as standing on a train track except here trains come by even more frequently.

And here's what I think is the craziest part about it...

Not only is everything up to that point unimaginably stupid in it's own right, but this is where it goes from "unimaginably stupid" to "so incredibly stupid that I wonder how he could function on a daily basis" stupid. So let's say you just decided that you were going to jump 2 fences that warned you of the fact that you were pretty likely to die if you jumped them and now you're standing under a coaster track. Now let's say that coaster is Raptor which is so unbelievably loud that the roar of a nearby train can be heard all over the park. Someone please explain to me how someone is now standing under the coaster track in a double fenced in area looking for a phone and they...

1) Aren't paying any attention to where the trains are even though it would be obvious to anyone that one coming by would result in certain death

2) Don't hear the ridiculously loud roar of one of the loudest coasters ever heading right for you that's so loud that even if you weren't paying attention you couldn't ignore it. Especially if you were standing right under the track and knew you were standing under the track because not only is it right above your head but you're standing under it on purpose because that's why you picked that spot to look for the phone.

I just can't understand how anyone could be this stupid. It's really pretty amazing.

Edited by coasterbill

Well, that's just great. We're probably going to have to wait another month just because of someone's dumb decision. It's ironic that this happens to be a school teacher, another example as to why the educational system is failing.

^you could if you moved the fence farther away from the track... But I don't think it's fesable..

In regards to the announcement, I think that's a smart move... Terrible PR if they kept it next week, too soon... But I am sure we will see construction continue on schedule, which probably means WE (coaster enthusiasts) will see track, and have a pretty solid idea of what is going on before the announcement... It's the right things to do for the park, and for all the parties involved in this tragic accident.

I'll ask a question I've read a few times in the past pages that I haven't seen answered, is this the first death at a Cedar Point?

Saying it the hard way: It too bad that we have to wait longer for the announcement because of some idiot trying to get his phone back. I understand why they do it, but that doesn't mean its too bad non the less.

I'm sorry if I offended people but this had to be said.

raptor was back up just after 1pm. We got the first ride in the front because we had flashpass+.

We saw employees search under the ride area, then do a few test runs with empty trains, then 3 with an employee in the front seat then they opened the ride up.

the operators were a bit solemn but friendly and there were some executive type people watching at the exit ramp. some guy named tony too. They looked like they were trying to do the right thing. I didn't stop to talk because they had jobs to do.

Cedar Point just said they are postponing their 2016 announcement event.

Indefinitely...

http://www.sanduskyregister.com/entertainment/attractions/9323526

Yet, they still are working to attract as many people as possible on the 18th offering good deals for Bring a Friend

https://www.cedarpoint.com/ticket-category/Daily-Tickets#BringFriend

Saying it the hard way: It too bad that we have to wait longer for the announcement because of some idiot trying to get his phone back. I understand why they do it, but that doesn't mean its too bad non the less.

I'm sorry if I offended people but this had to be said.

I know it doesn't sound very nice but I agree.

Agreed. I remember having to hit the E-Stop at Silver Bullet @ KBF due to a guest swimming (Yes. Swimming!!) in the lake to retrieve -You guessed it!- a damn hat!!

Hahaha! I found that too funny

Hopefully they do not go through with the cancellation. I know the article says indefinitely, but it does sound like the park is set on moving it back. I think that everyone (GP included) has waited long enough for the announcement. With the coaster wall, now the teasers coming from the park, an incident like this should be overlooked going forward, and the best way to bring spirits back up is by announcing the new attraction. Don't ruin things for other people because one idiot made a poor decision.

Well, that's just great. We're probably going to have to wait another month just because of someone's dumb decision. It's ironic that this happens to be a school teacher, another example as to why the educational system is failing.

Thats an unfair comment to all the hard working teachers in our country. Despite having to deal with more and more tough kids and bad parents, they wake up each morning hoping to help students become successful citizens. You have no idea what teachers are put through, yet you want to blame them for a failing educational system. Bull$hit

I suspect a lot of lift stops today for cell phones or any other items that shouldn't be out.

Ride Hosts already watch for phones like hawks. Chances are the phone slipped from his pocket which happens way more often than losing a phone due to using it. Events like this will make people think and analyze details heavily, but caution should be taken before changing operations.

I'd say lift stops will be at their normal frequency.

Hopefully they do not go through with the cancellation. I know the article says indefinitely, but it does sound like the park is set on moving it back. I think that everyone (GP included) has waited long enough for the announcement. With the coaster wall, now the teasers coming from the park, an incident like this should be overlooked going forward, and the best way to bring spirits back up is by announcing the new attraction. Don't ruin things for other people because one idiot made a poor decision.

My only real thought is maybe there's something themed around death for the new coaster? It is a dark theme, so I guess that's possible.

Says the guy wanting $15 to flip burgers.

Son there is absolutely no way you'd even survive one day as a teacher.

Be careful how you proceed with this.

As expected, the park has officially announced that their announcement event set for next Tuesday has been indefinitely postponed.

Ok, can we all please stop posting that this has been postponed. I think this is the 4th time in three pages. People, please READ THE THREAD before you post!

Edited by robbalvey

to be honest they hyped this coaster up so much to where i dont even care anymore.

That's actually a really unfair comment. The park actually hasn't hyped it up much at all other than putting a countdown clock up and sending out invites. Everyone ELSE has been pouring on the hype. I honestly can't believe someone would say that, but I guess we've seen quite a few amazing examples of stupidity lately.

Edited by robbalvey