TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

P. 1989: Wicked Twister's permanent closure announced!

So, the weather forecast for this weekend looks like it most likely going to rain at some point... just not consistently. What's the best game plan for patchy bad weather? Trying to formulate a plan so I don't have to miss out on the major attractions.

^Bee-line it for whatever you are most desperate to ride before the rain hits, and the moment rides re-open after precipitation.

Cedar Point does not take rain lightly at all. Their website states how different conditions will affect certain rides making it seem like a good amount of rain is needed to close rides, but the reality is that a light drizzle will affect most major attractions even if they say they operate in light or steady rain.

So, the weather forecast for this weekend looks like it most likely going to rain at some point... just not consistently. What's the best game plan for patchy bad weather? Trying to formulate a plan so I don't have to miss out on the major attractions.

A few weeks ago when I flew in from Texas it was raining my first day until about noon. It was a pretty steady rain, not a drizzle by any means. Even though I live here, I have platinum passes for Cedar Fair. CP had MF, Gatekeeper, Rougarou, and Maverick ready at 9 am! I was VERY surprised. It was raining hard enough that I was just soaked after taking a couple Gatekeeper rides. What I learned from the ride ops is they'll operate the rides (except Dragster) in a light to steady rain. It might hurt your face a bit, but deal with it! (as long as there isn't lightning in the area)

As far as Dragster, the policy the ride ops told me is, any precipitation at all will close it, and then it needs about 15-20 min to drip dry some. I got 2 rides quickly by just planning around the rain and watching the radar constantly. Be a smart park goer and you can snake a lot of waiting from the GP who run for cover. I hung out by the MF and Dragster lockers for cover and waited out the rain and got quick rides by being one of the first people to line up waiting for them to re-open.

Oh!! and don't wear a poncho on MF...it won't make it...it tore mine to shreds

Anyone know if shoot the rapids or thunder canyon have opened yet?

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but they usually open Memorial Day weekend.

I know I was watching the Web came a few days ago, and you could see shoot the rapids running.

According to CedarPoint.com:

Shoot the rapids is open, and will close for the season on September 7th.

OPERATING NOTE: Thunder Canyon is now closed for the season, as it transforms into CornStalkers! (Surely that's just needing updating.)

Hi, I will be going to Cedar Point this June and I'm really excited for it! It will be my first visit, however I read in a conversation somewhere on youtube that talked about Cedar Point and someone talked about Mantis being better than Rougarou because Rougarou was still rough but more boring because you now sit, and how it was a bad idea because it ruins CP's coaster diversity. So my question is do you agree with this? Because if you do, it would suck if CP's first big coaster rehab was a flop. Also I was wondering because I wanted to know if I would be missing anything when I go to Cedar Point this Summer. -Thanks

Rougarou is kickass, like literally kickass, my two friends and I went down for Victoria Day long weekend which is a Canadian Holiday and we all thought it was one of the best rides in the park now. Please no one shoot me for saying this but we called it B&M's version of Maverick cause it was very tight and quick.

The diversity argument is stupid anyway. It's the only floorless coaster in the park.

Yes, but I think it's because you get that similar "free" feeling on this ride as you do Gatekeeper. Along with the fact that your feet dangle on Raptor too. But as long as everyone likes all 3 of them. Plus I'm fine with it cuz the layouts of all 3 are COMPLETELY different.

Now that they fixed the uncomfortableness on 2 of their Great rides, is there anyway that they can get B&M to come over and do the same thing to Magnum that they did to Steel Dragon 2000? Think about a B&M train on that!

The same trains that were fitted to Steel Dragon 2000 would not work on Magnum. Magnum was manufactured by Arrow, and SD2K by Morgan. Magnum's track is such that the trains' wheels are on the inside of the rails, whereas on SD2K they are on the outside, like every B&M.

Now that they fixed the uncomfortableness on 2 of their Great rides, is there anyway that they can get B&M to come over and do the same thing to Magnum that they did to Steel Dragon 2000? Think about a B&M train on that!

The same trains that were fitted to Steel Dragon 2000 would not work on Magnum. Magnum was manufactured by Arrow, and SD2K by Morgan. Magnum's track is such that the trains' wheels are on the inside of the rails, whereas on SD2K they are on the outside, like every B&M.

Oh.... Are there any other manufacturers who could make more comfortable trains? Ones who use the same design for the wheels as Arrow did? I just considered it as Cedar Point seems to be making coasters smoother and more popular now. Which is a good thing.

Thank you, I figured that the people talking were those wierd stand-up coaster fans

Hey! I'm one of those weird stand-up coaster fans! We're not weird... right guys?!

In all seriousness, while I really liked Mantis, I'm looking forward to riding Rougarou. With that same awesome layout I have a feeling it will be way better than most of B&M's other floorless coasters and this way more people can enjoy the ride!

It's unlikely, but I think it would be a shame if they changed the trains. Those trains are gorgeous, and a part of coaster history, keeping the 80's alive in that park much like Gemini's station and trains are a throwback to the 70's. With the exception of the abrupt ending, I never found Magnum's trains or restraints to be painful at all. A refurb wouldn't be bad, but I'd hate to see those trains go!

A lot of people say that Skyrush at Hersheypark is the most painful coaster on the legs, but I disagree, Magnum at CP is the most painful on the legs. That stupid lap bar made it a very uncomfortable ride for me. But regardless of the pain, I still love both coasters.

I just got back home form my very first visit to Cedar Point, and... WOW. Seriously.

Back on topic... I read up about the seat belt thing on Magnum and it totally worked. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed the ride. A couple shaky spots here and there, and the lap bars aren't great, but... for being as old as it is, and an Arrow coaster, it's pretty fun. Definitely a lot easier to ride than Desperado, which is 5 years younger and twice as painful (and has been for a decade).

As a gigantic fan of Magnum, I would still be totally in favor of Premier overhauling the trains, much like they did for Steel Phantom/Phantom's Revenge. I love the coaster to death, but I think it would be a win if more people were able to enjoy it more easily. Keep the 3-bench trains and chassis so that capacity isn't effected, and re-do the actual seats and bodies. I imagine a lower profile, more modern looking train that still has the retro look to it with the spacey looking moldings and decals.

Or, ya know, just upgrade the current trains to the ones that Adventure Express has - those lapbars don't fall down onto riders and actually pop up when they're released.

Enthusiasts are such babies when it comes to arrows. Unlike coasters of today, Magnum was bent and welded together on site with no assistance from computers. B&M has computers do most of the work and still cant avoid headbanging and rattle after a few years.

Really, if after 26 years all you can complain about is how balls-to-the-wall crazy the airtime is, you need to find a new coaster to pick on. That is also the airtime after it has been trimmed.

Tightening the seat belt as much as possible sounds like it would make the airtime more painful, but since it's working for the rest of you, I guess I'll try it on my upcoming trip.

To any park locals, would it be worth getting Fast Lane Plus on Thursday, June 11th?

I have a few questions about my trip in about a week...

I'm going from June 8th - June 10th. We have free admission after 4pm on June 8th (that's when we are arriving at the island). What are the crowds going to be like?

Also, how cold is the water from Shoot the Rapids?

My mom is the fannypack person...can she wear the fannypack on all rides?