TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

P. 1989: Wicked Twister's permanent closure announced!

I rode Millennium today at 10 AM, don't think the certification thing has any truth to it. Millennium was planned to be on the line up for pass holder night but didn't open for whatever reason like a lot of other rides. Millennium was supposed to open for early entry but I think part of it is the new crews learning their jobs. Even Rougarou didn't open till 9:10 today, but yeah give it a week or so and they'll be much better. Opening weekend usually weeds out the slacker employees anyway haha

Opening Day is always a treat for almost any park. Some go well, most have their series of bumps.

Maintenance likely had to work against the lengthy winter in addition to a probably already very tight schedule that certain rides were not quite ready. Nothing new here. If you haven't spent much time living near a Great Lake, it should be known that a winter on the lake shore versus a few hours inland in southern Ohio is literally two different climates, so the Kings Island comparison lacks merit in my opinion. There are many tasks that are significantly delayed or simply can't be done when temperatures are stuck near freezing. You can't fire up a coaster on a cold day when it hasn't operated since Fall without first warming the train and lubricating the hell out of it. You can't set the taller or larger flats with cranes or JLG lifts when the winds are pounding the peninsula. So in the end, weather weeks before Opening Day can set the pace for what is and isn't available on Opening Day.

As for operations such as one side Gemini, staffing rides in May can be hit or miss. In my park of work, I literally opened today with a the smallest skeleton crew possible due to things such as colleges ending, graduations, proms, sports commitments from high-school kids, etc. Cedar Point is far from immune from this problem as well. As for ride downtime like CP dealt with, our signature ride went down for over an hour due to a rare mechanical issue. Cedar Point isn't slacking or disorganized, but likely up against the wall with the usual Opening Day headaches. Ever since I started working in the industry, I have learned to keep Opening Day expectations in check, because the fact of the matter is that there are many variables that are likely to take away from the "perfect day."

I don't buy the weather excuse. The weather has not been that bad this year. We were told by a worker that maverick did not have it's PA system in the station yet, so that's why it did not open.

Wicked twister was in pieces, tiki twirl never opened, mean streak never gave a ride today, gemini was 1 train, Skyhawks was only running 1 side, antique cars was down half the day, every store and food stand opened late if it even opened, a lot of the cash registers did not work, and workers were clueless about the dinning plan . And then throw in the typical opening day problems, and you have a failed opening day.

After the rain, the park cleared out, but a lot of the rides never reopened.

I have been to the past 15 or so opening days and this year was the worst. It was more than the typical opening day bugs.

I can also go on about the issues we had at hotel breakers, but we will save that for another time.

Trip report coming soon.

Now granted this was several years ago but seems to still apply today but what I heard from some trusted sources at the park is the budget for ride testing has been slashed drastically. Rides used to start cycling in early April and test for weeks. There always was a charity mini-golf tournament a week before the park opened and I remember always seeing every major ride testing non-step. From what I heard is the pre-opening was slashed big time in the mid-2000s and the park has suffered since. A large amount of seasonal employees used to process in at beginning of April.

But really... there is a difference between mechanical issues and rides literally still sitting in pieces.

I used to go every opening day and besides an usual downtime here and there things were always open and ready. Then literally it was night and day when a new CFO showed up and things haven't been the same despite that CFO leaving. I'm a huge CP fanboy but I refuse to make the trip up there from Florida until a few weeks into the season - I've been burned too many times.

Rougarou is great, but did anybody that rode Millennium today notice that the yellow train was nowhere to be seen? Is Millennium going to permanent 2 train operation, or is the yellow train still in the workshop? Hopefully it's not the latter because that would make already long lines even longer.

Rougarou is great, but did anybody that rode Millennium today notice that the yellow train was nowhere to be seen? Is Millennium going to permanent 2 train operation, or is the yellow train still in the workshop? Hopefully it's not the latter because that would make already long lines even longer.

That doesn't sound like something Cedar Point would do to one of it's premium attractions.

I feel like all the extra renovations to Hotel Breakers really put a strain on the park getting everything ready by opening day. On the plus side, the hotel looks tremendous.

I'm still amazed how smoothly opening day went at Canada's Wonderland went after reading all these reports from other parks. Not only did they open a week earlier but they are farther up north in the cold, windseeker was the only ride closed for the day I can recall, and every coaster was running at max capacity with all their trains. The only snafu I can recall is Guardian opened 2 hours late. I didn't see a single ride go down for difficulties during the time i was there.

They have set a new standard in my eyes, then again I beleive they also have a park buyout the day before and the week before but I could be wrong. Maybe more parks need preview days to work out the kinks. Get in cheap with expectations that not everything is going to be perfect, and everyone learns the ropes.

Millennium Force's 3rd train just isn't ready yet, it will be back.

I don't buy the weather excuse. The weather has not been that bad this year.

Umm... What rock were you living under? This year was one worst winters We've had up here in a long time. It didn't even get much more than 40 till the last week or two. Simply, they couldn't start ride testing till recently or do some of the maintenance needed. Add the new Hotel Breakers and all the other stuff being built they just didn't have time. Really, I think people are over reacting a bit. Dragsters always down anyway, Wicked Twister seems to be a bigger problem and not the parks fault, Mavericks the only surprise and probably the most disappointing and who cares if mean streak is open anyway. Hopefully they just didn't have enough staff for Skyhawk because it could still be something bigger. Tiki Twirl was announced halfway through winter, is it really a surprise that they didn't finish? No one's complaining about the fact that SF never opens their new rides opening day. Think about it though, they have more rides than any other park to get open on time, with less time to do it than most of them.

Does Rougarou have any night theming? Like lights up everywhere and maybe a wearwolf howl at the top of the lift or something?

Sadly Rougarou does not have any noticeable different night effects. The only effects are at the bottom of the first drop with fog and sound. The second half of the ride I expected something but there wasn't anything. So to me difference between a night ride and a day ride wasn't a big difference as that fog at the bottom of the drop was also on during the day.

Umm... What rock were you living under? This year was one worst winters We've had up here in a long time. It didn't even get much more than 40 till the last week or two.

I know that the weather on the peninsula can differ a little from the city, but, look, this is the April weather info from Port Clinton:

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KPCW/2015/4/10/MonthlyCalendar.html?req_city=Sandusky&req_state=OH&req_statename=&reqdb.zip=44870&reqdb.magic=1&reqdb.wmo=99999

This is not an outrageously cold and brutal April. April was actually mild. Was it probably very cold in February or March? I would definitely say so, having seen the place then. But not that much happens outside during those months. It shouldn't take them a whole month to move a portable ride intended for tear down and rebuild in a matter of hours on the road as was the case on Tiki Twirl. I think the much more likely scenario is that they cut some budgets here and there for people at some point. I know that...uhhh...a very close friend, let's say that....they processed in on April 28th to start at CP when working there a decade ago. Want to hear something even crazier? The park opened with most every ride operating that year on May 4th. The water rides were up and going within a week. They know this with certainty; they worked them.

I know that Breakers isn't finished yet (which is OK, there was no promise the whole thing would be done yet and it does look a million times better), but the guys working on rides didn't have anything to do with Breakers. No one is asking ops from Skyride to install a fire pit.

No one's complaining about the fact that SF never opens their new rides opening day.

Everyone complains about Six Flags doing that. And usually the response is "It is Six Flags, you know they suck, you shouldn't have expectations" and threads move on from there. I really would like Cedar Fair to be a little better than this because I know they can be.

Edited by DirkFunk

Enjoying the Web cam this morning. I see Maverick running. The Rougarou crew was doing well until a train stopped on the MCBR.

AAAAAND 15 minutes later she's free. Barely made it back to the station, but no valley!

I was going to take my husband for his first time this Tuesday and Wednesday, but I'm sort of glad we moved it to May 28-29, I'm really hoping they will have all the kinks out by then. I will be so bummed if Wicked Twister isn't running, for some reason to me that is the scariest coaster I've ridden, not sure why but I really want my husband to experience it. I've really been talking up CP since the only park he's ever been to is Kings Island, which he loved, but I told him CP is 10 times better, probably cause I grew up going there every summer as a kid and I love that it's on the water and all the coasters they have. I will be keeping an eye on which coasters might not still be running and keeping my fingers crossed that they will be by the time we go.

I'm sure the kinks will be worked out, TTD is running today, Magnum is up and running also, so is Maverick. They're getting it together slowly but surely. Hard to say though on Wicked Twister. It wasn't a case of them not having the ride ready, more of a problem related to another coaster of it's type in another park so they're replacing a part kind of like a recall on a car I believe is what's going on. You both will have a great time!

We were there yesterday and yes, it really seemed to be a "Miss" for the park. I've only gone a couple of opening days, but this year compared to last year were like night and day.

First off, I am not really mad, but just a little frustrated. Rides break down and there are opening day issues, and it seemed as though many rides that were down eventually opened. The rides having downtime but eventually opening were: Power Tower, Maxair, Magnum, Gemini, Corkscrew, Maverick, Witches Wheel, skyride, and the Giant wheel. Floorless-Banshee* and Millennium opened a little bit late.

Floorless Banshee* was really good. The new trains make for a much better ride, and it seemed like it was getting a lot of cheers. The inclined loop is really intense, it caught me off guard a bit. We got in at 9am and ran to it (walked fast, actually) and it was cycling and opened at 9:20. We waited under 20 minutes. I got a first-rider pin.

There were also rides being "Commissioned" (run x amount of times in order to be approved by the state) which i never heard of on opening day. The had to "Commission" Calypso and Dodgem 100 times a piece since they were "new" rides. Other rides looked to being commissioned as well, Including Witches wheel and Mean Steak as they ran empty all day, but I heard Witches Wheel opened.

Rides that never opened for us were: Twister, half of Skyhawk, Windseeker and Slingshot. (There may have been some kiddie rides as well.)

So all in all, it was a pretty bad day for the rides, but with hearing about the drop in testing budgets, I can see where this all makes sense now. It's still very disappointing, but if weather was a factor or having problems getting employees, I totally understand.

Also remember, the park had a TON of off-season projects going on, more than almost every other season. Gazebo demolished, Good Time Theater demolished, Sweet Spot Candy store put in, 3.. yes 3 rides moved and refurbished, 2 rides removed, the Breakers refurbished as well as the Breakers parking lot, and the Lakeside Pavilions. I'm sure I missed others.

Other things: Computers were down, so the meal plan was jacked, and they had a restaurant listed on the website that offered it, and it didn't accept it. We did get food, and it was good.

All in all, it was a C- to D+ day, though the employees were all very nice and they looked to try their best.

In conclusion, it's hard to say it was a truly bad day because in the end, we were at one of the greatest amusement parks in the world, and we should be fourtunate.

Hope our next trip is better.

*Some of you will get the joke, others will say: Banshee? huh? Wrong Park!

Anyone ride Maverick with the new restraints? I'm dying to hear about it!

Rode it twice - once in front, once in back. In short - I loved it. I knew how to "ride" Maverick so it never really bothered me before - except during ERT sessions it could get a little much and I'd brace myself in the twisties by holding the shoulder harness in front of me.

I did notice being "caught" by the restraints during the airtime pops - whereas my shoulders never hit the restraint before. Since the new restraints lay on your shoulders there is really no other option but to pop up into the restraints. It did not take away from the ride - but that was the only thing I noticed being different - besides the rest of the ride being so much more comfortable. All I heard was positive responses on trains coming in - so I think it's a hit...

It's my 2nd favorite change besides the Breakers renovation - you can really see and feel Ouimet's Disney influence on the renovation. It actually feels like a resort now. I was blown away how nice it was!

Hey guys so my friend is going to cp on the days of may 20-21 and he's staying at breakers. He wants to know what he should do first nd whatever, so he's getting there on the evening of the 20th, so he'll only have about 2 hours that evening, and then the 21st he has the early access pass, and he's entering from the breakers entrance. What shoudk he do first/last in both of those days? Thx.

Too lazy (and tired) to do a full trip report, plus pretty much everything from Rougarou Media Day and Opening Weekend has already been said. I will say that I was overly-impressed with the Hotel Breakers renovations - it has that Disney value resort feel to me. It actually feels like a resort now and not just a run-down hotel next to the park. I also loved the new Maverick restraints.

On to the pics...

IMG_9442.thumb.JPG.8b6d511f431e94d4ba79246f283d7bc1.JPG

Stopped across the bay on the night of arrival - we could hear them testing the howl / growl effects!

IMG_9458.thumb.JPG.8ee2de943ed2a0a66fffda32a9dc23f5.JPG

This is what coasters look like at 5AM

IMG_9504.thumb.JPG.99f20697bd1563f4dbc7ab89cb647f2e.JPG

And they're still a bit blurry at 7AM

IMG_9513.thumb.JPG.4e7396f6656260d3676f834db4e8ee48.JPG

The underwhelming "fog" effect on the first loop

IMG_9523.thumb.JPG.8a2db8b519065897e1ec15561eeac439.JPG

About the only shot I got where Rougarou looks good

IMG_9549.thumb.JPG.82cc9683d39397f85a85124420cb405e.JPG

This is a much more photogenic (and better) coaster

IMG_9557.thumb.JPG.9036b85df0dc38a398c8b556e8052389.JPG

This ride is fun right up to the very end

IMG_9572.thumb.JPG.e6dd7bbcefa1a99239c237713f32501a.JPG

Last overbanked turn

IMG_9587.thumb.JPG.f0b8a33cbae2e8e706e9097b76b6ae80.JPG

That joy this coaster has been giving for 15 years

IMG_9596.thumb.JPG.3a717dd2e92a3f349f6f60432b7ad46c.JPG

These were missing opening day but were spruced up and back out Sunday

IMG_9598.thumb.JPG.795e2c806a5b0d116a469ed69d0693cb.JPG

That first overbanked turn

IMG_9602.thumb.JPG.ff64abb1722170d7a49273ee04d1b8fd.JPG

New comfy restraints!

IMG_9612.thumb.JPG.ca50b07bda43647a60346e31dd092851.JPG

Watch out for that bird!

IMG_9616.thumb.JPG.56f608d07e542a62e64e98ff621eef5e.JPG

Criss-cross

IMG_9621.thumb.JPG.6569876680260f752512d1fe1a2af7a0.JPG

Headed to the tunnel

IMG_9632.thumb.JPG.b840444a43f4d93f824d2c7830cda182.JPG

The Lakeside Pavilion is looking good

IMG_9649.thumb.JPG.c46f21412cd3dc3adf3cd7226c5eac68.JPG

A look back - even added some fancy umbrellas to the beach

IMG_9669.thumb.JPG.06c373c6d43450eec03149dc063debea.JPG

Rotunda is looking gorgeous

IMG_9673.thumb.JPG.ea851dcd0c45e4dbc359d051a4550547.JPG

New lobby from the back

IMG_9684.thumb.JPG.900f1247136495fb403aa15c0a1001f3.JPG

New lobby from the front

IMG_9692.thumb.JPG.c229ab099d272e76b926e2eafaed31d1.JPG

The new main hallway is a lot shorter - surprised me.

IMG_9702.thumb.JPG.a18aeb552b3ba83192f86c7efbe4e8d9.JPG

This is what you see coming out the main entrance

IMG_9706.thumb.JPG.2150a5f7623387ba07f1a0d619caca6a.JPG

This is what you see looking back

So I have a few questions...

1. Will the Cedar Point Marketplace reopen? Because everytime I go to the website some error thing appears.

2. If they still sell the statix roller coaster trains, how much are they?

3. What happened to the intamin inverts, was something recalled because last time I checked Volcano was still running and so where the V2's at Six Flags.

4. Do Mavericks new restraints stop you from getting airtime? The old ones didnt bother me.

5. And is Cedar Point busy during weekdays in July? Im thinking about making a trip to Cedar Point and Kings Island during the week of the allstar game.

So I have a few questions...

1. Will the Cedar Point Marketplace reopen? Because everytime I go to the website some error thing appears.

2. If they still sell the statix roller coaster trains, how much are they?

3. What happened to the intamin inverts, was something recalled because last time I checked Volcano was still running and so where the V2's at Six Flags.

4. Do Mavericks new restraints stop you from getting airtime? The old ones didnt bother me.

5. And is Cedar Point busy during weekdays in July? Im thinking about making a trip to Cedar Point and Kings Island during the week of the allstar game.

In reference to the discussion a few pages back about the weather: Yes, it really was one a pretty terrible winter when factoring snow AND cold (at least in Cleveland). If I recall, February was the coldest on record. It was brutal. Keep in mind, they don't start prepping in April. So the fact that April was fine doesn't mean they weren't behind from the previous months (namely January-February). Should it cause as many issues as it seems it did? Probably not...

Also, cleveland.com did an interview with Jason McClure, please forgive me if it has been posted, but I don't believe I saw it anywhere:

http://www.cleveland.com/travel/index.ssf/2015/05/cedar_points_jason_mcclure_tal.html

A few notes:

1. He claims that "Valravn" hasn't been assigned to any particular project yet

2. August 2015 announcement for the massive open plot of land where the cars and theater used to be

3. No plans for RMC to come in and overhaul Mean Streak at this time.

AAAAAND 15 minutes later she's free. Barely made it back to the station, but no valley!

I noticed this on the webcam the other day (ugh... I'm a nerd), when an empty train stops in the mid course it crawls back to the station at a ridiculously slow speed. I'm sure Mantis always did this too but it's pretty amazing how slow it is. It really seems like it's going to valley when they block check it.