TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

P. 1989: Wicked Twister's permanent closure announced!

Oh.... good job Tony. I think something by Raptor/Point Pavilion, floorless trains on Mantis, and Mean Streak is being torn down. Just read this post.

https://www.cedarpoint.com/blog-article/online-fun/Thanks-For-The-Fun?mobile=0

What's that Aquatrax thing about anyway? I found these characters under the picture of a pond: AquaTrax!111!!$1880!)!!?

I wonder....... must just be CP teasing us, the AquaTrax thing seems unlikely......

Yup that's a inside joke since we all thought Maverick was going to be a AquaTrax.

Anyways, I think we will see a new halloweekends maze (building by Gatekeeper) more pavilions (all the picknick area photos) something to do with Mantis (new trains/sitdown type conversion or cheap redo like SF did). I think that the other 3 photos are throw offs.

Edited by 3Mutts

I went to Cedar Point earlier this week from the 21st-23rd. Just like with Kings Island, I didn't take many photos, but I thought I would share my experience and opinions from my visit.

[General park thoughts] I have been to Cedar Point before back in 2012, so I already knew what to expect ride-wise. However, since then, GateKeeper was added as well as the renovated Gemini Midway. Anyway, I have to say that I love Cedar Point. Sure, a few of the rides are overrated, but it is a great park with great rides, great service, and a great location. I really have nothing bad to say about the park, really. Here are my thoughts on the rides. Some of my opinions have changed since my visit in 2012.

[Millennium Force] I know, it is one of the most overrated coasters in the world, but I still love it regardless. The first drop is simply amazing, the speed is well-maintained, and the hills provide decent air, especially in the back cars. I just love to throw my hands up and have a great time on this ride. It firmly holds the #2 spot on my list.

[Top Thrill Dragster] Honestly, I don't really get this ride. It's very fast and very tall, but that's about it. It's over with before I can even process the ride. I like Xcelerator quite a bit more due to its more intense launch and slightly longer layout. TTD #8 on my list.

[GateKeeper] This was my first B&M Wing Coaster, and I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would! After reading for the past year about how it is sort of a let down, my expectations were quite low. But I thought it was a very good, solid ride. It's not OMG INTENSE, but it isn't supposed to be. It does exactly what a wing coaster should do, and it does it well. It doesn't crack my top 10, but that doesn't mean it's a bad ride.

[Maverick] Here is the star of the show. This coaster has everything--a quick lift, an awesome drop, "twisties", insane airtime, a launch, and banked turns. It is phenomenal in its simplest form. My only complaint are the restraints (I305 restrains would be nice), but that doesn't prevent it from proudly holding the spot as my #1 coaster. It is great. Truly great.

[Magnum XL-200] I rode this once back in 2012, but hardly remember anything about it other than some roughness. I decided to give it another whirl, this time in the "magic" seat (car 1, row 3). That airtime was CRAZY, but it wasn't exactly comfortable. I still think it's a great ride, and it sits right behind TTD at the #9 spot.

[Wicked Twister] This has got to be one of the most underrated coasters. It's a very unique ride that seems to get shadowed by bigger rides. The back rows are my favorite--twisting up the back spike is such a cool feeling. It doesn't crack my top 10, but like GateKeeper, it is still a neat ride. Definitely re-rideable too.

[Mean Streak] Rough and boring. Enough said.

[Mantis] Ouch. This thing could surely use some floorless trains. The ride still wouldn't be super great, but at least one could ride it comfortably.

[Raptor] A very good B&M invert. I prefer Banshee, but it's still a great ride. I think Raptor on par with Silver Bullet (yes, I like Silver Bullet and think it gets a lot of crap it doesn't deserve).

[blue Streak] Nothing much to say here. Standard, classic wooden coaster.

[Power Tower] I think it's worth mentioning that I love Power Tower's launch side. It's very fast and cool, however I like Drop Tower at KI better because of its insanity.

And I think I got most of the major rides out of the way. Overall, I love Cedar Point. It's such a great park. Some parts of it are overrated, but I will always love it and want to visit again and again and again in the years to come.

^Sounds like you had a great time. I, personally, don't get the problem people have with Mantis. It might just be my physique or where I tend to ride the ride, but dare I say it: I think it's a great ride and have ridden it up to 4 times a day in some of my recent visits.

I'm calling it now: When 2015 attractions are announced we're gonna look at this and wonder how we figure it out. Here's my prediction though, 2015: Dragster Gets repainted and then Mantis gets repainted and receives floor-less trains while the surrounding area receives and update. 2016: New dark ride (in the old Pirate ride building) and new pavilions along with a refresh of the Midway by Blue Streak. Also Mean Streak will close in august. 2017: Mean streak will be most likely replaced by a very large(150-180 FT tall) GCI or Skyline Attractions woodie and the surrounding area will be refreshed.

I would love for Mantis to get a re-paint and go back to the Banshee name, though it is too close to KI to ever do that. Though I do think the floorless trains are coming.

I do agree with the new haunt near Gatekeeper. Would be a good additional spot since there are no longer any haunts in that area of the park since DT has been demolished.

For the picture with Mean Streak. I think that was just thrown in there to get peoples hopes up, only to be disappointed with another year of rough brain damage.

^Sounds like you had a great time. I, personally, don't get the problem people have with Mantis. It might just be my physique or where I tend to ride the ride, but dare I say it: I think it's a great ride and have ridden it up to 4 times a day in some of my recent visits.

Agreed I find it to be very enjoyable and hardly rough. It just has some twists that I think catch people off guard. Still think Floorless trains would be better though..

Hey guys...im gonna be taking my first trip to the park on wed! Got a few questions...will I be able to do everything w/o a fastlane? Im talking about the coasters and some highlight rides. Also, if im there at opening what do you suggest my "game plan" consist of? Any help would be much appreciated!

I'm expecting the changes to mantis, but I believe it might've been Tony that tweeted out a photo of some parkings in between Raptor and Blue Streak. Any ideas of what those could be for?

Cedar Point is making lots for guests to park inside the park. Much easier than walking from the parking lot outside of the park. This is a step-up for Cedar Point, and I hope other parks allow guests to park within the park. Lol.

In all seriousness, I do think that a dark ride could still be possible. Those markings were in the area of the old pirate ship ride building, I believe.

[EDIT] I stand corrected. The markings were by the pavilion, and that's a bit far from the pirate ship ride building.

I'm expecting the changes to mantis, but I believe it might've been Tony that tweeted out a photo of some parkings in between Raptor and Blue Streak. Any ideas of what those could be for?

Cedar Point is making lots for guests to park inside the park. Much easier than walking from the parking lot outside of the park. This is a step-up for Cedar Point, and I hope other parks allow guests to park within the park. Lol.

In all seriousness, I do think that a dark ride could still be possible. Those markings were in the area of the old pirate ship ride building, I believe.

[EDIT] I stand corrected. The markings were by the pavilion, and that's a bit far from the pirate ship ride building.

sorry, typo. Meant markings!

sorry, typo. Meant markings!

I'll take a look the next time I'm at Cedar Point.

Hey guys...im gonna be taking my first trip to the park on wed! Got a few questions...will I be able to do everything w/o a fastlane? Im talking about the coasters and some highlight rides. Also, if im there at opening what do you suggest my "game plan" consist of? Any help would be much appreciated!

No, there is no way you can hit all coasters and flat rides w/o fast lane. Buy one. Best money you'll ever spend.

Are you staying at on-site resort?

^^While FastLane is definitely the way to go, it doesn't sound like he has that option. In case he doesn't get one, here is a decent plan of attack...

Wednesday might possibly be the best day to visit the park in the summer, but I would imagine that it still be pretty crowded unless the weather is iffy. Even if it is a sunny day however, I would imagine that you should have enough time to get the major attractions in one day, but you might have to sacrifice some of the flats, shows and other attractions.

Without a FastLane, I would recommend driving to the back of the park (especially if you have early entry or a Platinum Pass) in the morning and parking in the Soak City parking lot. From there, you can hit up either Maverick or MF first and then maybe zoom around and jump in line for TTD before the line gets really long.

Of course, your game plan depends on the time of day you get there. If you show up at noon or later, then you most likely won't get any advantage parking in the back lot and might just as well just park in the main lot and start at the front and work your way around. Lines will most likely be long for all of the major coasters by then.

If you show up before the park opens and decide to park in the main lot, skip all the rides/crowds at the front of the park and head for the back. MF, Maverick and TTD (inevitable) will most likely already have fairly long lines due to early entry, but you should be able to get short waits on Skyhawk, Corkscrew, Iron Dragon, Mantis, Power Tower & Mean Streak after 10:00.

Have fun!

I can definitely see an expansion for Soak City. Perhaps we will see the dated challenge park attractions moved/removed to make way for new/relocated slides. Water parks are popular now and a lot of places seem to be doubling down on them. Soak City leaves a lot to be desired considering it is attached to "The greatest amusement park in the world".

Also, the Mantis renovations are happening. It already has paint swatches on the track.

I can definitely see an expansion for Soak City. Perhaps we will see the dated challenge park attractions moved/removed to make way for new/relocated slides. Water parks are popular now and a lot of places seem to be doubling down on them. Soak City leaves a lot to be desired considering it is attached to "The greatest amusement park in the world".

Also, the Mantis renovations are happening. It already has paint swatches on the track.

Maybe those marking around Raptor are for the relocating of SkyScraper and RipCord. That's add some space to the park which they are in big need of.

Where did the idea originate that Mantis was getting floorless trains? Was/is there any real evidence to hint towards this?

There is no concrete evidence whatsoever. The idea originated a few years ago by some fans that thought it was a good idea and could be possibly plausible (never said it was going to happen or anything like that). It took off from there. However, there has been no signs at the park except for some paint on Mantis. As soon as the paint appeared, everyone believed it was a floorless conversion. In reality, it could just be a new name or paint job. But as soon as the paint appeared, everyone just goes right to the "ITS HAPPENING" mentality!

I'm expecting the changes to mantis, but I believe it might've been Tony that tweeted out a photo of some markings in between Raptor and Blue Streak. Any ideas of what those could be for?

There were some out behind Blue Streak and near Point Pavilion as well. This was on his last blog post.

In reality, take the photos in the blog post with a grain of salt. All the photos included in that post were photos he added because of the speculation on PointBuzz. The only one that seems like it is holding a good clue is the markings on the ground near Blue Streak.

He even ended with "Don't Trust the Lemon Chill guy". The last "lemon chill guy" rumor posted on PointBuzz was the Mantis floorless conversion.

I, for one, would LOVE a dark ride like WMG. However, with next years ride being for Teens & Thrillseekers, I believe the Dark Ride will be saved for families (though it would be nice to have an extremely thrilling dark ride). It could be a coaster/dark ride just like WMG. I also would love a really thrilling flat. Basically, I don't care what it is next year...I'm sure I'll love it and will ride it.