TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I think we need to consider what GateKeeper was built for when Cedar Point spent $30 million on the project. The hard truth is that GateKeeper wasn't built to please a miniscule percentage of their revenue, coaster enthusiasts. I think that some of us have come to expect extreme rides that enthusiasts rank highly like Maverick and Intimidator 305, etc. Cedar Point wanted a ride that the general public will enjoy and ultimately make them money. When we're complaining (not that everyone here is) about the lack of airtime, the lack of forces, or that the ride is boring (which blows my mind to call it "boring"), we need to remember that it wasn't built to be like the "OMFG Intamin/RMC Giga launched hybrid wooden coasters." GateKeeper was built to draw attention without being too extreme to scare away families which was done by purposefully making it less extreme by extending transitions (I believe Rob Decker said this in an interview). In my humble opinion, I believe GateKeeper did this perfectly and is one of the better coasters in the park and shouldn't be missed. You may disagree with what I have said, but there is no need to complain about what it's not, but accept it for what it is.

^ I agree with this sentiment in regards to GateKeeper. I don't know any of the specifics about what exactly the park wanted or whatever, but I take GateKeeper for what it is - an eye-catching, fun coaster that certainly revitalized and modernized the park's main entrance. I enjoyed it when I rode it last year.....a good bit, actually. It is not exploding with forces, but for what it is I don't think it has to be. The park has Maverick, TTD, Millennium (yeah, I said it), and Raptor in the forceful coaster category. GateKeeper has a nice assortment of elements, and a couple of them I felt worked quite well (the first drop/inversion and the keyhole over the entrance). The public seemed overwhelmingly happy with it when I visited, and that's a win for the park overall. I do agree that I wish some elements were better/more forceful than they are, but in my opinion it is by no means "boring". It fell in the neighborhood of a solid 8/10 coaster for me.

^ Don't listen to him. Gatekeeper is awesome and the restraints are great now. Front left seat is the best.

Seriously, it's a very fun ride!! It's my fourth favorite coaster in the park, and it's a people eater! Can't believe someone would say "skip Mantis... and GateKeeper!". It isn't I305 or Maverick, but it was never meant to be.

GateKeeper is a wonderful roller coaster. It provides and excellent sensation of flight through some awesome aerobatic maneuvers. Whoever is/was expecting the ride of their life needs to reevaluate their status as a coaster enthusiast. That is very GP of you to think so.

I rest my case.

Edited by JonnyRCT3

What ever happened to having "fun" on rollercoasters? I enjoy most coasters regardless of the forces it has or does not have. If I only enjoyed coasters with mega forces, than I don't think I would be a coaster enthusiast. A coaster does not have to be 5000 feet tall or go 50 million mph to be enjoyed. I have just as much fun on blue streak as I do on wicked twister or gatekeeper.

With that being said, I enjoy gatekeeper for what it is.

What ever happened to having "fun" on rollercoasters? I enjoy most coasters regardless of the forces it has or does not have. If I only enjoyed coasters with mega forces, than I don't think I would be a coaster enthusiast. A coaster does not have to be 5000 feet tall or go 50 million mph to be enjoyed. I have just as much fun on blue streak as I do on wicked twister or gatekeeper.

With that being said, I enjoy gatekeeper for what it is.

Who says I'm not having fun? I didn't like Gatekeeper. Gemini is a "fun" ride in my opinion, and I'd much rather ride that than Gatekeeper. It's great that CP has a successful ride on their hands, I didn't really care for it. What's the point of these forums if people all had the same opinion on something? X-flight is nowhere near the size/speed of Gatekeeper, but I liked that ride just fine.

I quoted you, Thrillrider, but I'm not specifically calling you out, so I hope you don't take it that way.

This debate is going to keep cropping up as long as Wing Coasters have any relevance. I'm still fairly moderate on them, myself. For me, the setting totally makes GateKeeper; same for many of the coasters at CP that aren't outstanding in ride quality. I haven't found any of the three US ones to be forceless, with X-Flight probably having the most forces of the lot (and they actually all have nice settings or landscaping).

Cedar Point is offering a dining plan for Season Pass Holders! The Season-Long Dining Plan may be added to your existing season pass Photo ID card for $84 plus tax. The Dining Plan add-on is only available at the park. It cannot be purchased online. The Dining Plan is valid for one meal at any participating food location twice per day. There is a two hour interval between meals. The participating locations and meal choices are the same as those for the All-Day Dining Plan. They include Lakeside Express, Pink's, Corral, Dragon's Inn, Gristmill, Coasters and Round Up. Who will add this to their pass?!?

Just to be clear, a troll isnt someone who has a differing opinion, its someone who posts to antagonize. Replying the word "Gatesleeper" to a well-thought-out defense of the ride isnt the most substantial post.

But Im sorry the word came up...didnt mean to step on toes and Im sure I just misunderstood.

I can say I had fun on GateKeeper because how fast the line moves, but that's it. I personally cannot see the value of that ride worths the money that CP spent. Yes, GP like it, but I believe it is just because of the gimmicks and its setting, plus it is a new coaster at a great amusement park.

The line dying down later the day is a perfect way of saying that GP don't see GateKeeper like some other great roller coasters at the park. Most GP are not that stupid to have absolutely no idea the difference between GateKeeper and Maverick.

About GateKeeper being family friendly, how could a ride requires 52" with six inversions not scare the younger riders before they fall asleep on it? One thing I'm sure is that GP thinks whatever with inversions are scary (and dangerous) Plus extreme rides like Maverick has the same height requirement which would make some GP used to be scared by Maverick stay away from it.

I can say I had fun on GateKeeper because how fast the line moves, but that's it. I personally cannot see the value of that ride worths the money that CP spent. Yes, GP like it, but I believe it is just because of the gimmicks and its setting, plus it is a new coaster at a great amusement park.

The line dying down later the day is a perfect way of saying that GP don't see GateKeeper like some other great roller coasters at the park. Most GP are not that stupid to have absolutely no idea the difference between GateKeeper and Maverick.

About GateKeeper being family friendly, how could a ride requires 52" with six inversions not scare the younger riders before they fall asleep on it? One thing I'm sure is that GP thinks whatever with inversions are scary (and dangerous) Plus extreme rides like Maverick has the same height requirement which would make some GP used to be scared by Maverick stay away from it.

I don't think it's meant to be family-friendly because I agree with you, those stats are far from that. I also think that not every roller coaster in the park has to be ridiculously tall, fast, and forceful. Do I like Raptor and Maverick? Absolutely. But Gatekeeper is fun in its own way…it's not aggressive, no, but it's fun to feel like flying. I think even the enthusiast community (well, some of it) can also appreciate it for its gimmick of being on the waterfront and having unique seating and a bizarre/strange first drop. Even though I know the mechanics of rides, what is forceful/what's not, etc. doesn't mean I don't enjoy zipping through the air with nothing above or below me right next to Lake Erie and above the main CP midway…it's different and fun!

I don't think you're giving the GP the credit they deserve. From my experience, the lines die down in the evening because most people have ridden GateKeeper by then, and are moving on to rides towards the back, like Maverick. Secondly, height restrictions are determined based on the restraints and what body measurements are required to be correctly secured by them, not based on intensity of a ride or the number of inversions. Also, I would disagree about the GP thinking that any coaster with inversions is scary and dangerous. Even though the GP don't follow and fully understand the industry like many of us do (or think we do), they understand that coasters are generally safe. Most people I know would consider Millennium Force and Dragster scarier than a ride with inversions like GateKeeper, or even Raptor. Both GateKeeper and Raptor have more inversions than Maverick. I think that anyone who's ridden them all would consider Maverick the scariest, or at least more intense.

The lines for every ride in the front of the park die down at night. Even Raptor which is a spectacular coaster in my opinion has a very short line at night because people have already ridden it and because Dragster, Millennium Force and Maverick are the most popular rides in the park that people will likely want to have their "last rides" on. I still think Gatekeeper is a very good ride though, and it's short line at night is more of a product of it's location in the park than anything else.

This debate is so interesting.
The debate is boring.

I don't know if the first part was sarcasm or if you're just insane.

Let's move on. The debate is boring. We all get it.

We're talking about rides at Cedar Point in the Cedar Point topic... I think it's a relevant debate and clearly a lot of other people do to.

I am really looking forward to my day and a half trip to Cedar Point the weekend after Memorial Day. I'm staying in the park for the first time at Sandcastle Suites. I know this weekend we are going is traditionally small crowds but I've got it in the plans to buy Fast Lane passes for the first time at any park. We are hoping to do the Millennium walk back Sunday morning. Normally we close out the night on Maverick or Millennium Force but this time around I think we will close with Gatekeeper. We use to go to the park every year but haven't been in three so I can't wait.

Why are you sorry? It's your opinion that it's boring. I was sarcasticly pointing out that over the last several pages it's been a back and forth on whether or not gatekeeper was fun. I've seen a few people ask questions that kind of changed the topic away from the gatekeeper debate and they've been pretty much ignored. I don't really expect anything to change, but I'm sharing my opinion that this topic has been discussed almost tirelessly lol.

Who's going to coastermania? I luckily had built up some vacation time, so my manager was able to get me that daY as a paid vacation day. Woohoo!!!

^^When I rode it in the last week of August the restraints were still tightening but the pacing wasn't terrible (just that final helix and hill that should really get some more speed). My biggest problem were the unpleasant vibrations I would get if I sat on the outside seats (which I always do) after the third row.

Why are you sorry? It's your opinion that it's boring. I was sarcasticly pointing out that over the last several pages it's been a back and forth on whether or not gatekeeper was fun. I've seen a few people ask questions that kind of changed the topic away from the gatekeeper debate and they've been pretty much ignored. I don't really expect anything to change, but I'm sharing my opinion that this topic has been discussed almost tirelessly lol.

Who's going to coastermania? I luckily had built up some vacation time, so my manager was able to get me that daY as a paid vacation day. Woohoo!!!

Exactly! It's my opinion! People are saying I'm a troll because I don't like the ride.

Someone understands.

I've heard Coastermania was always insanely crowded so I've never made much of an effort to go. Is there any truth to that?

I've heard Coastermania was always insanely crowded so I've never made much of an effort to go. Is there any truth to that?

The last couple years I have gone it has been fairly crowded. When I first started going though, it didn't use to be. I always have fun though and it seems that everyone else does. When I go now, I just buy the fastlane+ so that we don't have to worry about lines and just have fun riding all day. The early time isn't terrible as long as everyone spreads out. Last year was crazy at Gatekeeper just since it was new so we waited until the park opened and jumped on right away with the fast lane. If you live close enough, definitely try it out at least once.