TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

With plenty of time to go until opening day, the Gemini Midway is looking great! Just ditching the blacktop alone helped a ton but there will be a lot to look at and Monster's new paint job really POPs so far. Looking forward to seeing it in person and getting some lake erie eagle action and doing some pipe-screaming soon.

Hi guys! I'm heading to CP for the first time in June. Any recommendations on what to go on first? Also, what should I skip. Im skipping mantis and mean streak but is there anything else?

Honestly I think Mean Streak gets more hate than it deserves. Sure it's a bad ride... but I still ride it every time I go to the park which is more than I can say for a lot of coasters. I'd suggest riding it since it usually has a short line... if you lean forward in your seat the ride is tolerable. Mantis sucks and has no redeeming qualities, so if you're not a credit whore I agree with your decision to skip that.

Assuming you have a Platinum Pass and are going for early entry I would suggest parking in the Challenge Park lot (when you come up to the parking booths stay to the left and tell them you want to park at Challenge Park) and hitting Dragster or Maverick first. I always ride the Intamin coasters first when it's my first trip to a park as they're pretty unreliable and it would be a shame to wait until later in the day to ride them and then have them break down. I didn't include Millennium Force here as it's much more reliable than Maverick and Dragster. If you're not taking advantage of Early Entry then you can really do whatever ride you want first except for Wicked Twister, Gatekeeper, Raptor or Blue Streak. These rides always have their longest lines of the day in the morning. Personally I highly recommend Fastlane Plus and in that case you won't have any issues anyway.

I guess my only other tips are minor... take advantage of the Skyride. The line moves really fast because they run a ton of cabins, it offers a great view and your legs will thank you later in the day. Also, I HIGHLY recommend riding Dragster and Raptor in the front row (on Raptor because it's the smoothest spot on the train, you get a great view and will only add 5 minutes to your wait and on Dragster because it's ridiculously amazing). This can add about an hour to your wait time for Dragster but it's worth it if you have a little time to spare.

And my final and most important tip... I don't know if you enjoy miniature golf or not but even if you love miniature golf and love playing new courses don't waste any of your life on Challenge Golf. It's seriously the worst excuse for a miniature golf course in the history of miniature golf. The only reason to play this course is if you want to be able to tell your friends that you traveled to Sandusky Ohio and played the worst miniature golf course in the world which is ironically located at "The Best Amusement Park in the World". Life is too short to play Challenge Golf... and may god have mercy on your soul if you decide to play both courses.

Another tip I have for you, is no matter what, bottom line, you HAVE to go ahead and purchase the FastLane+. You have to. It is beyond worth it. You'll ride everything as many times as you want. It is absolutely worth the extra money. If you don't get to go often, you need this pass. I live 2 hours away and buy it every time.

Last year at coaster mania it was fairly busy. I definitely skipped Gatekeeper because of how huge the line was even during CoasterMania. The lines during the normal hours were long too. What my group did was just enjoyed coastermania, then when the park opened, we grabbed FastLane+ and the waits were shorter with the FastLane plus all day than they were during coastermania. Again, for the most enjoyable day, most care free time, just get the FastLane + and have fun. That's the best thing I could recommend. Even during thelunch, the line to get food was so horrendous we skipped out and bought lunch. It's an amazing time, but invest the money so you'll really get the most our of your day.

There are different mini golf places in Sandusky, including go karts. I forgot what the place was called.

But, I certainly wouldn't play putt putt at an amusement park

I would recommend skipping Mantis if you don't want your lucky charms smashed to a thousand pieces.

Gatekeeper isn't really all that fun. It's slow and rather boring. But, if you do ride, I recommend front row.

^ Don't listen to him. Gatekeeper is awesome and the restraints are great now. Front left seat is the best.

Closer to the front it might be okay. But further into the back you can get some nasty little yet unpleasant vibrations.

This is the only place where Ive seen a roller coaster described as boring...especially one with 6 inversions, a unique seating arrangment, a beautiful lakefront setting, and one of the coolest and most out-there first drops ever.

Dont listen to trolls, Gatekeeper isnt the re-invention of the wheel, but it is a very fun ride. I waited 3 hours for it on opening day and it felt justified to me.

This is the only place where Ive seen a roller coaster described as boring...especially one with 6 inversions, a unique seating arrangment, a beautiful lakefront setting, and one of the coolest and most out-there first drops ever.

Dont listen to trolls, Gatekeeper isnt the re-invention of the wheel, but it is a very fun ride. I waited 3 hours for it on opening day and it felt justified to me.

Exactly!

I overheard quite a few people "bashing" Gatekeeper at the Banshee media day and I was surprised. Especially once I heard the only time they rode it was media day or very early on in the season (on three of the people in this group). The ride IMO changed quite drastically about mid-summer. Not only with the locking vest being fixed, but the ride was also going much quicker once they nailed down the wheel combo it appears. At media day, the train was just barley chugging around the course and the MCBR did not hit at all. By June/July, the ride actually had airtime on the 2nd hill and it got more forceful. The MCBR now actually has to slow the train down before the helix finale.

Media day and the time around opening day, I thought the ride was just OK. I really enjoyed it, but it was nothing that special to me. However, by the end of the season it was my top ride in the park. It really did break in well.

I suggest those who only rode it at the start of the season last year to give it another try.

Edited by Invertalon

I wouldn't describe Gatekeeper as boring but it feels very controlled, if you compare it to other coasters in the park, even the B&Ms.

I really liked the first drop, the sheer size of the first inversions and the keyhole, although the ride experience was not very exhilariting for me. However, the ride looks very cool towering above the main gate and it certainly screams "Roller Coaster Capital" out loud and can be intimidating for first-time riders if they haven't been to the Point before.

I would recommend skipping Mantis if you don't want your lucky charms smashed to a thousand pieces.

I'm sure there are good reasons to skip Mantis these days, but this shouldn't be one of them. The trick to riding stand-up coasters is to have some bend in your legs, just enough to give some clearance above the seat but not too much where you don't have room for your shoulders... it's probably just an inch or two. If you find yourself trying to sit down or stand stiff-legged and upright then you'll indeed have problems. To imply that getting your nuggets crushed is inevitable is simply incorrect, it's not that hard to find the right riding position.

I only see GateKeeper as a beautiful decoration that decreases the other lines in the park so that I can spend more time with my dear Maverick

But Mean Streak worth a try since the line is rarely long and the park takes good care of it. I think it's an okay ride with some pop of airtime at the back. Even wheel seat was fine for me.

So if you don't like Gatekeeper, you're a troll? I guess I'm a troll, then! I was there in August and was totally underwhelmed by the ride. I was actually really excited about it too, as I hadn't really heard any negative reviews. I preferred X-Flight (rode it 2 days before Gatekeeper). I know that there was a train with a bad wheel or something while we were there, because I actually had really rough rides. Several otherr TPR folks had the same experience.

There's just something about Gatekeeper... It's such an imposing and beautiful ride to look at, but it didn't deliver for me. This comes from a guy that doesn't understand all the hate for Talon, Silver Bullet and even Patriot. Maybe next time I'm at CP I'll get a better ride, but for I'd say it's one of my least favorite B&Ms.