TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

• Replies 49.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Check out this amazing photo compliments of Dave Morgan!! 

I feel bad because this is all I post about lately but no... if a park has the ability to open and there's demand and they choose to stay closed then they're dumb. Period. Be creative and figure it ou

Did they happen to mention how heavy that train is?

Posted Images

Don the PR guy said Surf Dog is a coaster and that is why Ki boasted they had 14 coasters while RCDb said 13. Of course now RCDB says 14 with Banshee. I have not seen if they say 15 coasters with the addition of Banshee.

http://www.kicentral.com/forums/index.php?/topic/27541-ki-says-they-have-14-roller-coasters-i-counted-13-what-am-i-missing/?hl=surf#entry521422

Half way down the page post #19. Sorry moderators if I am violating a rule. Let me know and I will delete the post.

Am I the only one thinking that maybe the reason they are renaming Gemini Jr. is because Gemini won't be around for much longer?

Yes. You are the only one.

Am I the only one thinking that maybe the reason they are renaming Gemini Jr. is because Gemini won't be around for much longer?

I don't think that has anything to do with it. The name change makes sense because it won't be across from Gemini anymore and that is practically the only reason why it had the name Jr Gemini considering its nothing like Gemini at all (wooden supports, racing coaster). I definitely hope what you're thinking isn't right, I love Gemini! xD

Was the video a bit cheesy? Sure, but I don't see that as a reason to poke fun at the family.

So we're not allowed to have an opinion about the video? Thanks for letting us all know.

I don't think the video was horribly produced. The editing was adequate in my opinion. The family held it together until the squawking, then it got weird. The cheesiest moment was when the youngest started spinning "around and around and around."

That being said, I didn't realize at first that two rides would be taken out for this attraction. Cedar Point is in need for some more family friendly attractions. While this doesn't add numbers to their family lineup, it does improve it marginally.

Hopefully families will be addressed in a big way in the next few years. I'd totally be ok with them not getting a new coaster for a while... especially when they build coasters like "Gatesleeper".

It's a step in the right direction. These are two rides that accomodates both adults and kids together. I'm assuming the height restrictions will be similar to other CF parks. So, Pipe Scream could be 44" and flyers are 36" - 48" with adult and 48" and up can ride alone. We won't know for sure until CP announces that. After StR's announcement, then revision of the height requirement I wasn't too thrilled.

I say a step in the right direction because a lot of rides that could accomodate the family has been yanked from the park since the mid 90's. They still have a long way to go. I would still like to see a more traditional flume in the park that includes a 36" height requirement but it doesn't stop there. I have three boys heights 36", 44", and 51" and it's a pain in the butt to do things together. We have to go to other parks 3 hours from us to trully enjoy rides as a family.

~Rob

How much does the ride experience vary on a Skater car versus a standard Disko car? The ride looks fun either way, but I find it interesting that some parks (KI, CP) can market it as a family ride where others label it more as a thrill ride.

I do like the concept art, and I agree that the area very badly needed the facelift it is getting. It also looks like the kiddie bumper boats are getting the boot (approximate Lake Erie Eagles area I think?). I always felt for the team member that would need to wade in that pool whenever I passed by.

Hopefully families will be addressed in a big way in the next few years. I'd totally be ok with them not getting a new coaster for a while... especially when they build coasters like "Gatesleeper".

I like the park is adding flyers. I also like the changes coming to the Hotel even though we knew these changes were coming. They could continue to sell the rooms regardless because of the convenience of the area so its good see them putting some money into the hotel.

I like this addition a lot actually. Flyers are seeing a resurgence across the industry for a very good reason; they are family-friendly and thrilling at the same time. The Disk'o coaster seems very nice hoping it will have a similar height requirement to its clones in other Cedar Fair parks. We can only hope that Cedar Point sticks to the manufacturer requirements and doesn't raise the height requirements higher than they really need to be. Most importantly, a "tired" section of the park is getting new life.

Referring back to some earlier posts about how high the height restrictions are for "family" rides such as Blue Streak, Mine Ride, Iron Dragon, etc., I would love to see the records on what the manufacturer set or if even the manufacturer set a height requirement for some of the oldest ones like Blue Streak and Mine Ride. I know that rides dating back to the late 1970s at the park I work at were constructed with no manufacturer-set height requirements. Basically, the park had to set them based on their own testing as well as approval by the state and the insurance company.

Edited by ajfelice
^I'm so glad someone else has said it!

That was a TERRIBLE video. That family made me want to kill myself. I'm assuming those children will also now be constantly bullied at school because of it.

Also, I don't see how this is so great for families!?!? First off, we haven't seen any height restrictions. Secondly they're pulling out some of the old kiddie rides to do this. Anyone who followed our Cedar Point report with a 45" tall child knows what I'm talking about and this small 2014 addition won't help.

The "Faile" family..... LOL!!!

Finally saw the announcement video as it really was just terrible! Anyway, the two new attractions are nice and all, but I totally agree that it would've been much better if they were adding two additional rides, versus just swapping them out.

Regarding the 2014 additions, I do think they will be popular rides and it's nice to see the park investing in family attractions, but I don't think it's enough to make a significant difference. If the park truly wants to appeal to families, they need more major attractions the entire family can ride together. Something more along the lines of a dark ride or even new trains for the Cedar Creek Mine Ride so it could run with a 42" height requirement would help the park much more than a Flyers and Disk'O Coaster. At least family rides are better than kiddie rides as long as they are run with reasonable restrictions (aka an average 5-6 year old can ride) and this will improve that area of the park.

As for the announcement video, it went from fine to awful in under 2 minutes. I don't think it was necessarily the family's fault, but either way it's unfortunate they'll now be associated with this mess of an announcement.

I would love to see the records on what the manufacturer set or if even the manufacturer set a height requirement for some of the oldest ones like Blue Streak and Mine Ride. I know that rides dating back to the late 1970s at the park I work at were constructed with no manufacturer-set height requirements. Basically, the park had to set them based on their own testing as well as approval by the state and the insurance company.

From the Sandusky Register: http://www.sanduskyregister.com/article/439176

Part of it comes from the Ohio Department of Agriculture as well. Shoot the Rapids was originally going to have a 42" height requirement, but "Cedar Point and the state inspectors agreed to raise the height requirement for Shoot the Rapids. It had been 42 inches. That was raised to 46 inches for a person accompanied by an older adult, and 48 inches for a person riding by himself."

But yeah, it's really fascinating that we can go to Knoebel's and my 5 year old can ride Phoenix and Twister, yet he cannot ride Blue Streak or CCMR. Or that my 2 year old can ride Jack Rabbit at Kennywood, but can't ride Beastie (or whatever it is these days) at Kings Island.

Again, Cedar Point has a ways to go, but its a step in the right direction for now.

~Rob

So the real question is, does the disk-o count as a credit or not? But if the height requirements are lower, this should be a great addition to the park.

I feel like a disk-o is a powered shuttle coaster, but I don't count powered coasters, so it's a no from me. There's too little variance between a typical powered coaster, a disk-o, and some dark rides with drops, so I prefer to count none of them. The closest thing to a powered I count is Blazing Fury at Dollywood.