TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

The NTAG accident is no doubt the more immediately tragic of these two incidents, but I actually think the StR mishap seems the more serious in the long run.

We've seen riders ejected from coasters before, and while this doesn't make their deaths any less sad, the cause usually turns out to pertain to the riders' body types, ride operator error, etc., rather than mechanical failure (at least I think that's the case; someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

In the case of StR, this seems more a case of mechanical failure of some sort (given that the boat should not be allowed to roll in reverse down the lift hill). Given the woes the ride's boats were having even before this accident, I wouldn't be surprised if CP finally pressures Intamin to provide new, redesigned boats entirely.

The NTAG accident is no doubt the more immediately tragic of these two incidents, but I actually think the StR mishap seems the more serious in the long run.

I agree completely. Sure, the NTAG accident was worse but the STR accident had the potential to be MUCH worse. If that boat did flip 180* into the water, I bet almost a majority would have lost their lives if it took a few minutes to flip the boat back over. It appears it only went sideways, especially given the limited injuries. (Thankfully).

^ I listened to the 911 call and it sounded like it took quite a while (relatively speaking) to right the boat (since the caller mentioned CP employees in addition to guests in the water helping with it)..could have been a lot worse. Glad everyone made it out without serious injury.

Another thing I was thinking about is the fact that the current isn't very strong.

I could not imagine what would have happened if the current was a bit stronger.

I mean, even though the boats float, there is a "track" of sorts with cross ties beneath the boat for stability in the channel.

Not to mention the moving parts of the lift, or if another boat was dispatched behind this one.

I agree that they were fortunate that this accident happened on near the first lift, as opposed to the second lift.

I think that the best way for them to fix it is to add a double chain in case one fails, the other one can still bring the boat up the lift.

There are much more efficient solutions than that...

Yeah, like having a totally functional, normal log flu--oh wait.

No but really, Fahrenheit at Hersheypark uses two chain lifts and no anti-rollbacks. There's no reason why the same system wouldn't work here. Really, the eddy current system shouldn't have failed (unless STR doesn't actually have one, but I can't imagine that it has no anti-rollbacks at all and only relies on one chain) so that's what needs to be checked out here.

^Dang, with all the crazy fast coasters at Cedar Point I'm surprised this is happening for the first time just now! Or maybe not. Has a bird strike ever happened before on any other CP coaster?

I'm not gonna lie, though. That was kinda funny. I think we should nickname GateKeeper the Bird Striker.

^

What makes you think that? The Intamins at Cedar Point and the other Cedar Fair parks have been hugely popular, and most are amazing coasters. There is no reason for them to not get more coasters from Intamin when they have been such big successes.

^Dang, with all the crazy fast coasters at Cedar Point I'm surprised this is happening for the first time just now! Or maybe not. Has a bird strike ever happened before on any other CP coaster?

I'm not gonna lie, though. That was kinda funny. I think we should nickname GateKeeper the Bird Striker.

I have witnessed seagulls killed by MF every year I've been there !

^

What makes you think that? The Intamins at Cedar Point and the other Cedar Fair parks have been hugely popular, and most are amazing coasters. There is no reason for them to not get more coasters from Intamin when they have been such big successes.

I say that because of the Perilous Plunge accident, Xcelerator cable snap, Mavericks heart-line roll, Intimidator 305 being to intense, and Shoot the rapids boats not fitting originally. Also, If you have noticed the last Cedar Fair Intamin install was Shoot the Rapids.

Yup my mother was struck by a goose coming down the Top Thrill Dragster tower a couple years ago, luckily she had her arms up and was able to block the wing from hitting her face (she had a big bruise on her arm for awhile).

I have seen it happen several times and not just with the coasters.

^

I say that because of the Perilous Plunge accident, Xcelerator cable snap, Mavericks heart-line roll, Intimidator 305 being to intense, and Shoot the rapids boats not fitting originally. Also, If you have noticed the last Cedar Fair Intamin install was Shoot the Rapids.

Oh lord, here we go.

Not gonna lie, I'm a tad unnerved by the fact that this is the second time in five years that a ride at Cedar Point has rolled backwards down its lift hill and crashed (Wildcat in 2008). It's not like this kind of thing historically happens TOO often...

I looked to see if this was already posted and couldn't find it. I apologize if I overlooked it.

It isn't about the Shoot the Rapids accident, but it could have been an accident had it been over about half a foot.

I think that was a mutant seagull! I seriously have never seen one that big before!

I looked to see if this was already posted and couldn't find it. I apologize if I overlooked it.

It isn't about the Shoot the Rapids accident, but it could have been an accident had it been over about half a foot.

I think that was a mutant seagull! I seriously have never seen one that big before!

This is what happens when the animals have a GREAT food source for half the year (park fast food).