TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

P. 2017: Top Thrill Dragster RETIRED!?!?!?

On CP's FB page, there do seem to be a lot of complaints about this being a "bad day." Obviously, it sounds like a lot (if not all) of the downtime was due to weather, but more interesting are the numerous complaints about the park being "disorganized" today. Can anyone comment? I'm guessing this was a combination of the park being understaffed and the crowds being huge.

Sounds like people bitching just to bitch? I mean, I'll be honest, I don't think I noticed anything really out of the ordinary or operations/customer service being notably bad.

Then again, I've been to Magic Mountain.

Edited by robbalvey

^ I guess they were talking weather wise and the way the park was in general. They said they felt bad for the rest of the general crowd. I'm chatting with them right now and they said they did manage to do everything with some multiple runs, one of my friends is a first timer to CP and he said he did enjoy the park unlike the rest of the clan he was with.

^^^^ I just saw that video too, must be an interesting day over at CP.

^ *ba dum ching*

On CP's FB page, there do seem to be a lot of complaints about this being a "bad day." Obviously, it sounds like a lot (if not all) of the downtime was due to weather, but more interesting are the numerous complaints about the park being "disorganized" today. Can anyone comment? I'm guessing this was a combination of the park being understaffed and the crowds being huge.

It was opening day -there always are bugs. I went to countless opening days at the park before moving to Florida and the day is always filled with downtimes, long lines for merch and food, etc - but that is almost expected for the first day. You can test and train over and over but when thousands of people flood the park, fill the rides, and challenge employees for the first time things are bound to happen. Not surprising most opening day trip reports on TPR for parks around the world are similar in that sense.

Hey Robb, do you have any other videos on Media Day/Opening Day at CP besides just the Gatekeeper shots? Like any footage of well...other rides/walking around? I'm curious about the crowds those days and what all else was happening. Were the lines for the other coasters relatively short?

Loving the short Vine video clips inserted into the boards! Robb, that clip of GateKeeper visibly slowing down was wild! I never would have considered that the wind may play a part in things but I guess CP is right on the water so it makes sense.

I would much rather have a vest restraint constrict a little bit during the ride than potentially have my head slammed into an old school OTSR during a corkscrew, which hurts like hell and causes a massive headache for the rest of the day.

Sounds like people bitching just to bitch? I mean, I'll be honest, I don't think I noticed anything really out of the ordinary or operations/customer service being notably bad.

Lol.

Hey Robb, do you have any other videos on Media Day/Opening Day at CP besides just the Gatekeeper shots? Like any footage of well...other rides/walking around? I'm curious about the crowds those days and what all else was happening. Were the lines for the other coasters relatively short?

No, we really focused on Gatekeeper. I mean, there are a bazillion videos and photos of Cedar Point, and it all pretty much looked the same...

Far as wicked twister it was packed all day an with GK there now it will probably continue

Far as Gatekeeper I think it much more then wind that shut the ride down since it was down before the wind and rain really started then on top of that there was many employees in the op both looking at video screens like they didn't know what the hell was wrong. Then after the rain and wind most of the rides reopened yet GK is still down, it's after 10 and I can still see Wicked twister and maxair running from my room still no gatekeeper.

Neither Wicked Twister nor maXair can valley though. The down signs(at GK) said "due to high winds" so I'm going to venture a guess that is the reason. I'll try to find out for sure, but I bet ya that's the cause. They even shut Raptor down cause of the winds. The forecasted wind gusts last evening were over 30mph.

Other than the weather being a bit crap yesterday, I didn't notice anything bad about Cedar Point at all. Operations all seemed pretty much standard - rides were well staffed, and the staff all seemed to have a handle on things. I'd imagine that there were a few inefficiencies due to inexperience, but I didn't notice anything first-hand. It's always disappointing when rides go down for weather, but you can't blame the park. In fact the park really seemed like it was in great shape for opening day ... unlike a certain Gurnee park which I won't mention.

I know it's been a long off-season .. how about we get some rides in before we start the bitching

Cameron.

Just left Dinosaurs Alive and Milli is valied on the island with water dummies on the train. Ill upload a photo later. UPDATE: Maverick is valied in the horshoe roll. They are pulling the train through the inversion right now.

Wow, they have had some bad luck with valleys this weekend. Probably a combination of the trains not being broken in for the season and the cold temperatures + wind.

I think Maverick will not be down too long because they do not have far to pull it. Milli sounds like it could be a problem though.

CP Rundown has images of the valley on MF-

It was after the 3rd (or 2nd, depending on how you count) overbank and second big airtime hill. It was pointed out in the comments that the blue train involved had issues on media day, having been pulled off and later put back on. My mother - a MF fan - was stuck at the bottom of the lift on the blue train.

CP Rundown has images of the valley on MF-

It was after the 3rd (or 2nd, depending on how you count) overbank and second big airtime hill. It was pointed out in the comments that the blue train involved had issues on media day, having been pulled off and later put back on. My mother - a MF fan - was stuck at the bottom of the lift on the blue train.

But does it lose a ton of speed due to the cold air? Or is it the wind? I know that when Ike struck KI, the Racers could not make it up the airtime hill before the turnaround.

^More than likely the wind, I doubt it has anything to do with the cold air since it really isn't that cold.

But, wow, really crazy how many coasters are valleying and closed. I'm glad I got to go to Media Day instead of opening weekend, coaster riding doesn't look too promising today or yesterday.

Went to CP today and it was a BUST. Majority of the park was shut down due to these high winds. No gatekeeper, millennium, maverick, skyhawk, iron dragon, TTD.. Even Gemini. Wicked Twister opened later in the day. Apparently raptor and mantis did too, but I left at 3pm.

Blue streak, corkscrew, and mine ride had long lines. Was a total bust, but we went to the wood carver, then the petting farm & we watched the turkeys and chickens walk around.

The gatekeeper lights look REALLY cool, especially the glowing red eyes. On media day early morning they were on for a while and then the power failed for them. They spent several minutes trying to get the lights to operate. They would light up and then go out and it seemed like it was tripping a breaker. Someone mentioned that the train lights are actually powered by batteries. I have a few pictures of it before sunrise but my camera sucks and they are blurry. I'm sure other TPR members have shot of the lights.

Went to CP today and it was a BUST. Majority of the park was shut down due to these high winds. No gatekeeper, millennium, maverick, skyhawk, iron dragon, TTD.. Even Gemini. Wicked Twister opened later in the day. Apparently raptor and mantis did too, but I left at 3pm.

Blue streak, corkscrew, and mine ride had long lines. Was a total bust, but we went to the wood carver, then the petting farm & we watched the turkeys and chickens walk around.

I was there today too and completely disagree. There was still plenty to do despite some major coasters not being open. WT was open all day, along with most flats, and slowly most of the other coasters opened up, save for the larger ones. Mostly everything became a walk-on after the initial GP flocking to the next thing that moved. Maverick was fixed and was even a walk-on at about 6 or 7. I actually enjoy days like these because you do things and ride things you otherwise wouldn't on a normal day. I had a blast riding things like Cedar Downs, the Cadillac Cars, and other random flats I've never been on.