TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

P. 1989: Wicked Twister's permanent closure announced!

Those vests tighten around my shoulders/collarbones. I'm 6-1, 220. I have friends of all sizes and the "annoyance" seems to be randomly here and there, not just with small or tall peeps.

Maybe they'll eventually just scrap the rubber vest portion of the restraint (and Intamin will do the same with their "conveniently-easy-to-unscrew-with-an-allen-wrench" shoulder straps). Think how comfy those rides would be - not to mention the view! I'm in coaster fantasyland again

I didn't think Wild Eagle's restraints were any worse than those of Maverick/305/Storm Runner/Skyrush/Cheetah Hunt. Any restraint system utilizing hydraulics instead of ratchets is going to inevitably tighten down during the ride, which is why I love ratcheting restraints. For the record, I enjoy every ride I listed quite a bit.

Hmm I didn't know this about the vest style restraints, good to know. I've only been on one ride with the vests, Tatsu, and my one lap was unpleasant. The restraints weren't tight enough and as the train would flip and spin I would get tossed around, kinda freaky coming out of the pretzel haha. Anyway, I hope there's no issues in my camp because I plan on riding this many, many times.

When I rode X-flight I did not notice or have an issue with the constricting feeling until the brake run. I started to get that claustrophibic feeling and remember hoping that the train would not stack. Great America was great at not staking the trains so we just rolled right into the station thankfully. Unfortunately, I don't think this is going to change at all. I prefer the I305 style vest as they do not tighten.

Are the restrains on B&M wing coasters hydraulic? I didn't know that. What I did notice was how the ones on some intamin coasters like kingda ka and furius baco will considerably tighten down during the ride and by the end they will be crushing your legs. I guess that's the inconvenient with the hydraulic system.

Still, really looking forward to gatekeeper.

Are the restrains on B&M wing coasters hydraulic? I didn't know that. What I did notice was how the ones on some intamin coasters like kingda ka and furius baco will considerably tighten down during the ride and by the end they will be crushing your legs. I guess that's the inconvenient with the hydraulic system.

That was the problem on Skyrush. The lapbars would lower if you pushed on it during the ride, or in this case, from the forces. I think on a b&m it would work fine

photo from negative-G.com

Still unsure how the seatbelt mechanism for the vests work. From what's in that picture, it looks like a weight of that metal bar that's pulling down on it. It looks like that bar might be attached to something inside of the frame, but hard to tell in that picture.

The best way I can describe is when a seat belt in a car locks, it tightens and wont release. And unlike a car where you can just unlock the seat belt when ever, you have to wait till you're back in the station. For me it was more of an uncomfortable pain then intolerable pain, after my 2nd ride on Wild Eagle I was just ignoring the pain.

That was the problem on Skyrush. The lapbars would lower if you pushed on it during the ride, or in this case, from the forces. I think on a b&m it would work fine

That's what I supposed when I heard about the complaints about skyrush's restrains. I think it really is more from the G forces the ride pulls rather than the pressure we put on them as never hold on to my restrains and, in those cases, they still lowered. there was one time while riding furius baco that I decided I would push the restrains upwards so that they wouldn't get to tight during the ride but, after a few seconds I couldn't resist the temptation and raised my hands almost automatically.

I'm going to be honest here. I usually don't get very excited when I see a park building a new B&M. Gatekeeper however sure does look like and all. Even if it doesn't ride so well (which I'm sure it will be a great coaster) it still looks amazing.

As for my input on the tightening restraint issue. I have never ridden a wing coaster, but I've seen some discussion with the intamin restraints and how they tighten in a similar fashion. The only time I've had an intamin restraint tighten on me was once on Maverick. I've ridden it dozens and dozens of times and it only happened once. Much like what others have said, I only noticed when I was sitting on the break run.

Either way, this will be a great addition to Cedar Point's coaster lineup and it will for sure be a hit with the GP. Now, if we could only get them to give Mean Streak the RMC treatment, then CP would be "perfect".

Where exactly is this all going to be located at? I'm unsure by looking at the pictures, anyone know?

On the last photo, you can see Wicked Twister on the upper left corner.

Edited by XYZ

Where exactly is this all going to be located at? I'm unsure by looking at the pictures, anyone know?

On the last photo, you can see Wicked Twister on the upper LEFT corner.

Fixed.

Also the first picture, the center of that awning thing is where Space Spiral was.

On the last photo, you can see Wicked Twister on the upper LEFT corner.

Fixed.

Also the first picture, the center of that awning thing is where Space Spiral was.

Darn typos. I fixed it.

As a landscape architecture student wanting to do designs just like this in the future, I am absolutely in love with this project between the massive front gate renovations and the large GateKeeper entrance plaza. I'm closely following this project and I'm definitely looking more forward to the new surrounding area rather than the ride! I love the direction Cedar Fair is heading in with their new capital investments (GateKeeper @ CP, Boardwalk @ Knott's, ect.).

It's a minor nitpick, but there appears to be a new building behind the Troika, which is hard to see since the sketches are separate. I'm sure the whole area exists as a sketch, even if it isn't in public domain.

Back to the building, does anyone have any guesses on what it will be? There does appear to be a photo booth for Gatekeeper under construction on the webcam, visible in the sketch here. This looks like it will look great when it is finished!