TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Wow, I was just on this ride on sunday morning.

Same here... my first Cedar Point trip! I saw them evacuating the car that had E-Stopped at the top of the front right drop. There were one or two people sitting in an ambulance in the midway in front of the ride. I figured it wasn't good, especially when the ride was still closed today. At least I got the credit in...

Cedar Point had some operational issues this weekend - 2+ Maverick rollbacks, TTD up and down constantly on Saturday, sometimes for 20 minutes every four trains, and now this. Maybe it's the sudden hot weather? Or maybe they recently repainted their brakes?

TTD was up and down all day today as well it seemed. We got in line and it went down while we were in the first bullpen of the queue. Waited it out, and then it went down again when we were sitting in the train and next to launch. Waited in the train until they got it back up again and rode. We hopped in line again as soon as we got off since it was basically a direct walk to the platform. When we were about three back from riding, it went down a third time, but we waited it out again and rode. When we walked past a bit later in the day, we saw that it was down again. How common is it for TTD to have days like this? All three times, the mechanics were down on the launch working, seemingly in the same area. I assumed a problem with a brake fin possibly... any thoughts?

We also saw Windseeker testing, both at half and full height.

^In the couple of years I spent there, maintenance was always hit or miss with TTD. There would be days it would run completely fine all day, and days when it would do what it did for you today. I know at least in 2008 they were having a lot of trouble with the catch car latching onto the trains properly, but it could have been anything if they were down on the launch track. There are so many moving parts, proxy censors, brakes, etc. that it's impossible to tell what the deal was.

If they removed Wildcat from the park, what other coaster is going to fit in the tight space? The ride that Robb posted pictures of looks like it would be too large to fit in that area, unless they used part of the space in front of the big screen which they probably wouldn't do. It's just a difficult space to work with.

^I think it's a tongue-in-cheek overreaction from everyone, I know it was from me. They could easily fit a Zacspin there, and maybe make one that was the tallest in the world. However, there would be nowhere for the queue to go, and capacity would be a pretty large issue. They could always put, *gasp*, a dark ride there!

To be fair, Wildcat might have straining with some extra heavy train loads during Coastermania. It's not a bad little ride and it's a bit of a nod to the past like Blue Streak.

Cedar Point captured my imagination by pushing the envelope for coasters, I wish they'd start doing that again, I doubt it though.

Honestly, I'm kinda surprised this doesn't happen more often to these rides, given how fast they come into the unloading station from that final helix.

Although I'd hate to see it go, it might be time to think of something else to put there. They could easily fit a custom Maurer Sohne or Gerstlauer spinner in there, if they were to replace it.

I must say it is something that i ride once a year. i do think its fun. but im way to big for the ride. would miss it. fits well in the spot. but a up date would be nice.

Does any one know if i can bring someone that does not have a pass with me in for early entry?

If they removed Wildcat from the park, what other coaster is going to fit in the tight space? The ride that Robb posted pictures of looks like it would be too large to fit in that area, unless they used part of the space in front of the big screen which they probably wouldn't do. It's just a difficult space to work with.

I'm sure a compact Eurofighter could fit in that space...couldn't it?

I'm sure a compact Eurofighter could fit in that space...couldn't it?

Kind of pointless since Maverick has the beyond 90 degrees drop...I do think they could easily put a Gerstlauer spinner in there.

^I think it's a tongue-in-cheek overreaction from everyone, I know it was from me. They could easily fit a Zacspin there, and maybe make one that was the tallest in the world. However, there would be nowhere for the queue to go, and capacity would be a pretty large issue. They could always put, *gasp*, a dark ride there!

If they were to tear down the old CP theatre (that used to show large screen movies) next to it, that would open up some room.

I can't for the life of me figure out why they don't tear it down, put a show in there, or turn the building into a dark ride!

They used to have live shows in there after the Imax movies, but it has been dark for at least a couple of years, I believe.

I hope this ride stays. I like it more than just about anything else in the park.

Definitely fun, way above half of the other coasters! So what if it is old, according to RCDB there are only 4 of this model left operating. It seems way too many Schwarzkopf rides are disappearing.

Back in the day they used to fill up the pre-show area before the IMAX movie and have a short live show there. Then the doors would open to the theater. The movie would always make me feel a little woozy as a kid. With that in mind let's bring back the Bayern Kurve and Schwabinchen, the original neighbors.

Back to reality, Wildcat has fulfilled its time at the Point and maybe it's time to retire it and make room for something else. It also does seem kind of redundant to have three car rides in the park (Cadillac Cars, IMO, are better than the Antiques in Frontiertown) and the Turnpike cars do take up a nice chunk of real estate with two tracks. Whatever they may have planned it might be a tight fit.

^It has an ice show in it. I can't recall a year that it didn't have a show in it.

Well, I'll be darned! I never get a brochure going into the park because I already know my way around so I guess I missed that. I have not seen a sign at the entrance and just never happened to catch guests as they were coming out - it always looks deserted and forgotten.

Then again, I would have never known there was anything going on at the old Oceana theater either if I wouldn't have been in line for Wicked Twister! If they served beer there, then I guess it might be different...we NEVER miss the shows at the Red Garter!

So I feel this needs to be said...

One year ago everyone was cursing Intamin's name left and right...there are pages upon pages of Intamin hate posts because Shoot The Rapids was a few weeks late.

We're now going on five weeks after the park opened for the season and still no Windseeker.

I am in no way suggesting that anyone start with the "Modial Hate" because I totally understand and appreciate problems with new rides, especially one that is a prototype.

What I just wanted to point out was how unfair I think it is that so many people were giving Intamin a bad rap for something that is not uncommon with new rides.

Just needed to say that.

--Robb "GO INTAMIN! DON'T LISTEN TO THE HATERS!!!" Alvey