TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

More reasons to be happy with WindSeeker...

1) A flat will most-likely be added to Cedar Point's morning ERT.

2) When's the last time you actually hurried over to that area when the ropes dropped? Would be nice running to a new place.

3. Cedar point pounded the Frontier area with new attractions until it was fully developed (Skyhawk in 2006, Maverick in 2007, Starlight Experience in 2009, Shoot the Rapids in 2010). Maybe this is a sign of the lake-side area getting it's long-awaited makeover?? Which begs the question, what will be that area's "Maverick" or "Starlight Experience?" GCI and Boardwalk please!!!

More reasons to be happy with WindSeeker...

1) A flat will most-likely be added to Cedar Point's morning ERT.

2) When's the last time you actually hurried over to that area when the ropes dropped? Would be nice running to a new place.

3. Cedar point pounded the Frontier area with new attractions until it was fully developed (Skyhawk in 2006, Maverick in 2007, Starlight Experience in 2009, Shoot the Rapids in 2010). Maybe this is a sign of the lake-side area getting it's long-awaited makeover?? Which begs the question, what will be that area's "Maverick" or "Starlight Experience?" GCI and Boardwalk please!!!

I agree, especially with the last part. I'm guessing the Point will get a GCI more in Demon Drop's former location that will go onto the parking lot to the beach side, since I doubt there's room on the boardwalk without making to much noise as to bother hotel guests. With MaXair, the re-development of the boardwalk has already started. Maybe we'll also see them finally do something with Disaster Transport.

Cedar point pounded the Frontier area with new attractions until it was fully developed (Skyhawk in 2006, Maverick in 2007, Starlight Experience in 2009, Shoot the Rapids in 2010). Maybe this is a sign of the lake-side area getting it's long-awaited makeover?? Which begs the question, what will be that area's "Maverick" or "Starlight Experience?" GCI and Boardwalk please!!!

This is a really good point and I, too, think that side of the park is ready for a makeover. You've nailed the fact that this is a move in the right direction for that area.

I don't want to feed the rumors, but I do think a GCI could be in CP's future. I was at VF when they opened Renegade and I know how pleased Big K and his crew were with it. I was also at WOF just before the opening of Prowler and there were some good things being said. Although a different manufacturer, people just rave over Ravine Flyer II's location-- and that's not even right on the shore like CP has the potential of doing. Something about the look and feel of a "beachy" wooden coaster is just awesome.

I think this looks like a great addition to all 4 parks, but I'm kinda curious why Cedar Fair decided to install all 4 of these things in the same year at 4 different parks without there being a single other ride like this anywhere in the world. To my knowledge there aren't any other Mondial style Windseeker rides out there and spending 5 million a ride for 4 rides in one year is a bit quick. I mean what if the ride turns out to not be a hit with the general public? Or turns out to have some operational issues?

That's actually a good point - look at how Deja Vu worked out for Six Flags

Forgive me if this has been posted, but has anyone read this?

http://www.sanduskyregister.com/sandusky/2010/aug/19/ride-wars-cedar-point

Is it possible they may not even get a Wind Seeker?

Yes this was posted several days ago, on the 18th i think when it was published. As of yesterday's announcements, CP and three other CF parks are indeed getting the same ride from Mondial.

I can see CP choosing the Windseeker over StarFlyer just from a capacity standpoint. 64 vs. 24 passengers per ride cycle is a big difference. I don't understand the patent infringement case, the rides are significantly different. Lots of companies have built tower rides and rides with seats on rigid arms that spin in a circle, and swing rides. I guess they need to sue them to. Maybe they're just upset they lost the deal.

I can see CP choosing the Windseeker over StarFlyer just from a capacity standpoint. 64 vs. 24 passengers per ride cycle is a big difference. I don't understand the patent infringement case, the rides are significantly different. Lots of companies have built tower rides and rides with seats on rigid arms that spin in a circle, and swing rides. I guess they need to sue them to. Maybe they're just upset they lost the deal.

Agreed on the capacity issue. I would think that was *one* of the selling points of the Wind Seeker anyway.

About the difference between the two, I agree on that as well. There are a TON of rides out there that are clearly a *replica* from another company.

So then why do they want to sue? Again, I think your right about, "being upset they lost the deal". Or deal(s) as it is now.

On a note not related to Windseeker at all...

Has anyone checked out the webcams for the park today? It is so empty. Would be a great day to be there.

My friend and I went on the Wednesday before labor day last year, definitely the best day to go. We had a 20 minute wait for Dragster, and our longest was 1/2 hour for Maverick. It was awesome.

WindSeeker looks like a great addition to me! I think the setting is going to be spectacular right along the beach, and I hope that it's just the beginning (as others mentioned) of a continued improvement of that area of the park. Although, admittedly, being 300 feet in the air in just a swing may freak me out a little! I'm also looking forward to the "dynamic lighting package" for it that is mentioned on the website.

New ride at Cedar Point tops out at 301 feet, but (alas!) it's not a roller coaster

With Plain Dealer Reporter Damon Sims

UPDATED at 8:50 p.m.

It's not a roller coaster. But it is really tall. And -- nine months before it opens -- controversial.

Next season's new ride at Cedar Point was unveiled Tuesday on the Sandusky amusement park's Facebook page, a first.

But WindSeeker is not an innovative roller coaster, which is the claim to fame of the popular park, home to 17 coasters, more than any other park in the world, according to the fan website myrollercoaster.com .

It's an old-fashioned "swing ride" -- suspended seats that spin around a center axis at moderate speeds and rise outward under centrifugal force.

But WindSeeker will be 301 feet tall -- imagine a football field standing on end -- instead of the usual 30- to 40-feet for swing rides. And it will have a top speed of 25 to 30 mph -- the limit on many residential streets, and three times faster than many swing rides.

"You'll be able to see Canada -- I guarantee it," Cedar Point general manager John Hildebrandt said in a Facebook video.

Windseeker will be 1 foot taller than downtown Cleveland's 55 Public Square skyscraper, 9 feet shorter than Cedar Point's signature coaster, Millennium Force, and 119 feet shy of the park's tallest ride, the Top Thrill Dragster coaster.

Many of the 175 comments posted in the first half hour after the mid-afternoon announcement were less than enthusiastic, including this one from a Cedar Point Facebook friend identified as Jonetta Adams: "Ugh!! I was hoping for a coaster!!"

Many others, however, agreed with an online commenter named Kathleen Williams: "Looks AMAZING!!! Can't wait!!"

Cedar Fair, the Sandusky-based company that owns Cedar Point as well as 10 other amusement parks and six water parks across North America, is betting $20 million on WindSeeker.

The company will also open nearly identical versions of the $5 million swing ride at three parks other than Cedar Point next summer: Kings Island in Mason, Ohio; Canada's Wonderland in Vaughan, Ontario; and Knott's Berry Farm in Buena Park, Calif.

That wager is being complicated by threats of legal action from Funtime Group, an Australian-based ride manufacturer that claims it holds the U.S. patent on the ride. Funtime built what is believed to be the world tallest swing ride, the 384-foot StarFlyer in Vienna, Austria.

Cedar Fair's four rides will be made by the rival Mondial World of Rides of the Netherlands.

"We've been working for several months with Mondial, whose U.S. patent counsel says there is no merit to the infringement claim," Cedar Fair spokesman Robin Innes said. "Mondial is a responsible and respectable firm with which we have worked for many, many years."

Interesting. Granted, this is the Plain Dealer, but I have never seen a news article actually print backlash against a ride before. And the fact that so many members of the public (on top of the fanboys) feel that Cedar Point should never add anything but roller coasters ever again just goes to show how incredibly difficult it is going to be for the park to change its perceived image from the past two decades.

I'm really excited about this. I've always wanted to go to the stratosphere tower, but this seems to be a good substitution. I've never been on a starflyer, or anything of the sort, so I'm EXTREMELY excited to ride this next year. Honestly, I don't think the thought of a ride has frightened me this much since I got the news article in the mail for TTD. I am sorta sad to see the swinging ship go. It was a good looking ride with little to no wait most of the time. It also just seems like one of those traditional amusement park rides. This thing looks amazing though, I can't wait to ride it next year!

It's really dumb people are complaining about not getting a coaster. Considering they have tons as it is. They have a good line up of flat rides also, but I'd like to see more of a variety of quality rides then just coaster after coaster. I don't like that their taking out a ride, but considering SkyHawk and maXair are both swinging rides, and maXair is located near it's location. I'm already over it. This may cost as much as a smaller coaster, but instead it's an extreme ride that's going to be more intimidating then a small coaster.

Wow, all pure speculation & guessing...but I was sort of in the ball park for both 2010 & 2011 new attractions!

by Philrad71 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:18 am

I am still sticking with a bigger version of Pilgrim's Plunge - it will be the world's tallest water ride in 2010 and would be billed as the replacement to White Water Landing.

by Philrad71 » Tue May 18, 2010 2:32 pm

While my mind wants to wish for a new coaster, my mind is also picturing something like one of those extreme height star flyer rides as it would not take up a ton of room and still fit the description of "new ride for thrill seekers" that was announced by Kinzel recently.

As far as the Windseeker itself, I hope it will start a nice rejuvenation for the beachfront area. While I am sorry they are removing Ocean Motion, this will be a perfect fit in it's place. Still a bit surprised they wouldn't have taken out the old Oceana stadium or the Chaos (rumored to be going) instead of Ocean Motion, but it did have low rideability because of it's somewhat "hidden" location. I am also somewhat surprised they aren't going to relocate it over in Frontierland - say, perhaps over the lagoon.

I still have memories of how the gate op's at the beach entrance let me and my sister in for free one night when we were staying at Camper Village (this was when we were about 12 & 15 years old) and we rode Ocean Motion about ten times in a row with no wait. At the time, there wasn't much else to ride in the area and it was about a half hour before the park closed, but I think the older lady at the gate saw how excited we were to be there and said, "Awwww, just go in kids and have a little fun before closing!"

Another thing on the Windseeker - not sure if I will gain the courage to ride or not, but I like the additions at the four parks. The Star Flyer's I have ridden in the past were plenty scary and even though this one looks to have better restraints, it still looks very intimidating at 300+ feet! I also rode the Sky Ride at Lake Compounce last week and thought it was one of the most terrifying rides I have ever been on, even though it is only a ski lift-type ride!

Holy crap.....Mommmmmy!!!!!

Ive been reading on a lot of sites how disappointed people are in Ocean Motion going away. I hardly ever see ANYONE riding it when im there. Maybe its the location but I dont understand the disappointment. I mean if it was a tilt a whirl they were removing, then someone at CP should be run out of town

Hmm. Half of the appeal of a Star Flyer for me was the flimsy chain holding you in.. I wonder how much these restraints are going to clamp down on you?

And from what i've heard Cedar Point like to close their rides during "bad" weather... High winds anyone?

^The selling point behind this model was the ability to stay open in high winds. That park is windy all the time, and the only ride that I'm aware of that closes on a regular basis because of wind is the Sky Ride, but only because its max wind speed allowable is 15 mph. Even Dragster is allowed to get up to (I believe) 40 mph.