TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I grabbed a bunch of frames from the webcam over the past few days, then reordered them to get a few linear sequences and stitched it together in a short video:

It looks pretty cool and was fun to make. I didn't pay much attention to the color of the train cars, so you can see them alternate from red to green and back...

Someone remind me again why the got rid of White Water Landing??

Does the boat run on some sort track, it looks like it from the POV......

I noticed that when I was riding STR. I have absolutely no idea what that is, and it's only in a few places during the ride. I can tell you that the boat is not connected to whatever it is.

Does the boat run on some sort track, it looks like it from the POV......

The only thing I could think of is that maybe it tracks where the boats are on the course for the computer. They load two boats simultaneously, so the computer probably needs to know in advance where they are on the course. This could also affect lift hill speeds, etc. to help keep the ride moving at maximum capacity. The tracks only seem to show up before key parts of the ride (before the lifts, station).

Does it creep along as it does in the POV? It seems awfully slow...

Rode it today and it really is slow. It also seems like Intamin is not able to work out the "Splash Problem" they've been having since Pilgrims Plunge. There is no splash after the big drop, just a small one when the boat goes from using tracks to floating again.

I's a fun ride but they spent way too much money on it. After all StR is only a modern log flume.

I think it goes a little faster than in the POV but it still goes pretty slow. However when your on the ride, you really don't notice it because there is so much stuff to look at .

I went to the park yesterday with a friend, and finally got to ride STR. I will say its a fun ride, and its a decent replacement for WWL (I agree it is a little better). However I wasn't blown away, its nothing too fantastic. Also you really dont get that wet on it, I would've been dry pretty quickly after I got off...but my friend wanted to do Thunder Canyon and Snake River Falls...so I wasn't dry at all. But, STR I believe is a good addition, just don't think its the latest and greatest water ride.

I don't think that anyone should comment too much about wait times just yet, especially since it hasn't been too hot up near the lake these past few days, and that it hasn't even been operating for a whole week yet. At least wait until July 4th weekend, or even until mid-July, to decide if it's popular.

Your results may vary, of course, but on the drops, the front seat gets you almost too wet compared to a log flume/hydro flume. There will be a lot of people who loose electronics from the wave that comes over the top of the boat and hits you in your lap. Comparatively, the back doesn't get you wet at all, unless another boat's timed up on the second lift or someone's using a water cannon. I'd rather have an old Arrow log flume/hydro flume in the park than this...

I've been on the ride ten times now (between opening day and one night of walk-on power-riding and half-empty boats), and the theming before the second lift was off two nights ago. It's a fun ride (at least the water isn't bone-chillingly cold, except for the geyser before Lift 2), but it's not better than, say, Log Jammer at Kennywood or Thunder Creek Mountain at Dorney Park (my favorite log flume). Shame about the height limit being raised, too. Kids would have eaten this ride up.

Has CP mentioned if they would make this a haunted ride at Halloween? I see lots of possibilities!

They mentioned how they could turn most of the water elements off...you would get less-wet except for the splashdowns.

I think the track in the flume must be their remedy for the "flume situation" that they mentioned as a reason for delaying the opening. I'm betting the flume was built too deep and the track may be a buffer to help keep it moving along. Just a guess.

Watching the official POV, the ride just looks SOOO slow...

This new breed of Intamin "flume" just doesn't impress me at all. But at least Pilgrims Plunge's boats travel a bit faster along the water channel portion of the ride than this.

Sorry to be a complainer. Just thought I'd post my...thoughts.

It's a flume ride, it's not exactly going to be careening through the course.

It looks like a very enjoyable ride, a nice relaxing way to cool off on a hot summer day.

Watching the official POV, the ride just looks SOOO slow...

It looks slow from the POV (I got a little impatient with the POV), but when riding, it feels a lot faster.

1: The first drop because you look like you can get drenched

Unless your in the front, almost no water hits you. So in your case, you want to sit in the front (assuming you are heavy enough ).

Something off topic from Shoot the Rapids I just noticed. According to RCDB, with Eagle Fortress closing, Iron Dragon is now the longest suspended coaster in the world .