TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

I still miss WWL though. The difference between this and WWL, was that WWL didn't get you drenched.

I like flumes that get you wet, but not soaked.

I normally only get to CP in the spring/fall, so I'm not sure when/how often I'll ride this.

• Replies 49k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Did they happen to mention how heavy that train is?

OK these are freaking cool. https://cedarpointonlineshop.com/

Made it out to Cedar Point this past weekend, October 17th-18th with my mom and dad to visit my sister working at the park. My sister works at Dorney, but since they closed early, a bunch of full time

Posted Images

First I must say that this ride looks like a good addition to the Point. It looks like a lot of fun and I have only one problem with it. If this ride is supposed to be so family friendly, then why is themed to floating around a river at an illegal moonshine still. If Cedar Point actually themes it more than what is shown in the video, and there really is animatronics fighting over moonshine, I don't understand how this is so family friendly.

Sorry about the rant, and I am not bashing the ride at all, I think it looks really fun and I can't wait to ride it.

I gotta say, this is a wise addition. They needed something new that the entire family could enjoy.

However, I think the overall experience is going to be hit or miss. The rendering shows just a modified log flume with some rocks and a tunnel thrown in. But if CP actually themes this thing (as in adding small touches to make it immersive), and if they don't destroy the entire "backwoods" area by slashing more trees than they already have, than I think that this is going to be one of the best water rides around.

Unfortunately, CF has traditionally taken the opposite approach to both of those wishes. But there's still a good possibility that they'll value theme and scenery....if the ride is $11 million, there must be a decent chunk in there for extras. Didn't Pilgrim's Plunge cost around $8 million?

ps. if anyone is able to download the video from CP's website and upload it to CoasterTube I'd really appreciate it!

That way we can embed it into our announcement post.

Not sure why so many parks don't make this easier. It's their B-Roll and they should WANT other media outlets to showcase it.

--Robb

Done.

[coastertube]http://www.themeparkreview.com/coastertube/play.php?vid=Shoot_The_Rapids_-_Cedar_Point_2010_mazg[/coastertube]

This looks like a lot of fun, and judging by the price, I'd expect some pretty good theming which will make the ride even better. With a price tag of 11 million, I believe the theming will be about as good as Buccaneer Battle at Great America. This should be a good addition to the park, and it should be a big hit with families.

I think this is kinda redundant since they just tore out a good log flume to build a new ride?? Now they come back and build another one to replace it. Couldn't they have just built Maverick here instead??

Also it totally baffles me that Kings Dominion is getting a 300+ ft Giga and all anyone can say is harsh things about it...but here come good old CP building a smallish log ride and everyone is going gaga over it? WTF...

Just my 2 cents, no need to shoot me or throw me under the bus, I am actually glad in this time of the economy that all these parks have the desire and funds to go and build anything at all!

Amen.

Didn't Pilgrim's Plunge cost around $8 million?

Try 4.5. I don't understand how this ride could possibly cost $6 million MORE than Pilgrims Plunge, which not only is 40 feet taller, but also uses an elevator lift, which surely wasn't cheap. I know that this ride has an extra drop, but that second hill is less than 50ft tall, and uses a traditional lift hill. How does that add up to $10.5 million?

But that aside, I think this looks like a great addition to the Point. It seems like it will be in a nice location, and the look of the final drop into those "rapids" will turn out to be really cool, I bet.

Judging by the fact that the Pilgrims Plunge's boats are dropping from an extra 40 feet, and that you rarely get completely "soaked" on that ride, I doubt you will get as wet on STR as many of you are imagining. Of course, if they end up installing that waterfall as it is in the animation, that may cause problems...by you shouldn't pay too close attention to the 3D renderings on a ride like this. (Remember how large they displayed PP's splash as being? Yeah...that's not how it turned out).

With only 7 boats, PP's line never stops moving, and I'm guessing that it also has longer blocking intervals, because of the elevator lift. Therefore, I doubt capacity will be much of an issue on this new ride. Can't wait to ride STR next year!

^while I'm no CP expert, I would have to guess that because of the location of the ride, they'll have to spend extra money to build the infrastructure. Isn't that part of the park like a swampy area?

I'm could very wel be wrong.

Re: Space left to build at Cedar Point

I bet sooner or later they'll take a page out of Six Flags playbook and start building on parking lots.

Didn't the Universal Orlando Resort build those parking garages on top of old parking lots in order to conserve space for their Resort Make Over in the mid to late 1990's?

First I must say that this ride looks like a good addition to the Point. It looks like a lot of fun and I have only one problem with it. If this ride is supposed to be so family friendly, then why is themed to floating around a river at an illegal moonshine still. If Cedar Point actually themes it more than what is shown in the video, and there really is animatronics fighting over moonshine, I don't understand how this is so family friendly.

Sorry about the rant, and I am not bashing the ride at all, I think it looks really fun and I can't wait to ride it.

Don't forget that The Dark Knight is also supposed to be a family friendly ride. I don't think the theming for Shoot the Rapids (if there is any) would be so bad that parents wouldn't want their kids going on it.

Try 4.5. I don't understand how this ride could possibly cost $6 million MORE than Pilgrims Plunge, which not only is 40 feet taller, but also uses an elevator lift, which surely wasn't cheap. I know that this ride has an extra drop, but that second hill is less than 50ft tall, and uses a traditional lift hill. How does that add up to $10.5 million?

But that aside, I think this looks like a great addition to the Point. It seems like it will be in a nice location, and the look of the final drop into those "rapids" will turn out to be really cool, I bet.

Judging by the fact that the Pilgrims Plunge's boats are dropping from an extra 40 feet, and that you rarely get completely "soaked" on that ride, I doubt you will get as wet on STR as many of you are imagining. Of course, if they end up installing that waterfall as it is in the animation, that may cause problems...by you shouldn't pay too close attention to the 3D renderings on a ride like this. (Remember how large they displayed PP's splash as being? Yeah...that's not how it turned out).

With only 7 boats, PP's line never stops moving, and I'm guessing that it also has longer blocking intervals, because of the elevator lift. Therefore, I doubt capacity will be much of an issue on this new ride. Can't wait to ride STR next year!

The whole cost thing is interesting. I would think it would hopefully be for theming, but unfortunately I can't see too much theming on this ride.

lol 15 year old "experts."

I'm not too surprised at the decision for this ride. CP definitely needs a new water ride, so I can't say I'm too upset about not having a different sort of ride. A neat flat or coaster would be cool for 2011 though.

$10.5 mil USD for this sounds about right. In 1998, Warner Bros Movie World in Australia opened Wild West Falls, and at that point they spent the equivalent of $16 Mil USD.

Wild West Falls is a comparable ride in terms of height etc, but this one has less theming, so that would account for the lower cost of the CP version.

As for HWs being cheaper, who knows, perhaps Intamin are willing to discount on the first installation of a particular design, just so they can have a working model to point to for potential future sales.

Id also attribute some of the lower cost to the lack of theming on Pilgrims plunge, and less use of steel....The first lift hill on Shoot the Rapids is listed as being 85ft high at an angle of 25 degrees, which means you'd still need a lift 200ft long to get to that point (By comparison, Pilgrims plunges lift is only 135 ft when measured linearly) This is only rough, but you can begin to see, how even though the structure is shorter, it is having to span further, so it would begin to use more raw materials (And i haven't even calculated for the second lift, but that is still going to use a decent amount of steel too)

What HW got was probably the simplest way to get boats up high and drop them, this is a bit more sprawing, so I think that explains the difference.

As for the ride, I reckon it looks pretty cool, they cant always build big coasters, and there is no doubt that water rides are crowd pleasers no matter which park you visit.

TBH I am surprised they didn't do their usual thing, and go for a world record, since that is sort of an easy one to get with water rides.

PP was 4.3 Million, and that got them the world's tallest water ride, and 1480 feet of total length.

CP is getting a ride with 620 more feet and 3 boats and adds 6.2 million to the ride cost. I'm with you, I cannot comprehend this price at all. I need to see a breakdown to get it.

In the history of log flume styled rides, I don't know of any that the last drop is the small drop. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Log_flume_(attraction)

I'll continue to point out:

Look at many attractions created outside of the U.S. compared - better overall quality rides, story, and theme has been -mostly- outsourced. Continue to accept subpar, continue to receive subpar.

I really feel A LOT of the decision makers in the industry have lost the focus of building these rides in the first place ... tell a good story, visual candy, anticipation, a build up to a great ending (in the case of log rides), a ride time & length that's worth the wait. I find smaller & independent park operators understand this more every year.

A friend commented saying that roller coasters have a big first drop. The difference, unfortunately, is roller coasters typically don't really meander slowly around for a few minutes before you reach the next big element. The Loch Ness Monster (BGW) does this, but in the absolute best way.

Kids will enjoy the ride, but also say, "why was the last drop so small? The first one was great!"

Do an image search for "log flumes" and see that nearly every picture is the "big" drop ... the main focus for the GP and enthusiasts alike. The big drop on this ride faces away from the walkways and view (unless there are expansion plans for the future).

It's a great idea for a family attraction, but a little "off" the mark with the details.

I do appreciate the continued investment from our park decision makers. I feel though it's time to make sure attractions maximize the ROI even if you have to wait a year, make no major additions, and do it right. The high quality maximized attraction will build great long term ROI from the missed year.

Wow I love all the bitching and moaning. Atleast the Intamin streak is DONE after this ride (5 ride contract is finished) I am very excited for this ride. LOL there is almost as much bitching in this thread as the I305 thread

Well someone is a cranky pants.

But really, no matter how much you complain about the complainers, they're still going to....COMPLAIN!

My two cents.

Anywho, you guys have to be right, that extra cash has got to go to themeing. The description of the ride talks about it some but the animation doesn't really show, any.

I'd say the reason for the cost is the fact that there's a lot of land excavation to happen. If you look, that corner of Millennium Island is now water, along with a large portion of the mainland part of the ride. Moving earth isn't cheap. And there does appear to be a lot more to this ride than PP even if the ride is shorter in height. Honestly, the structure of PP isn't all that complex and probably didn't cost as much as some of you are thinking. It doesn't surprise me that this ride is costing 10.5 million. And there are more boats along with a lot of extra track.

But really, we don't know what this 10.5 million is covering just as we don't know what PP's 4.3 million was covering. One could be talking about just the ride, the other could be talking about the cost of the ride, advertising, changes in signs, changes to the midway, the cost of the line, etc. There's really no one here that's actually qualified to really know why there is such a large difference in cost between this and PP.

lol 15 year old "experts."

Oh, I'm sorry...I forgot that 15 year old teenagers can't read or make observations.

Maybe if you opened your eyes and stopped being so stereotypical, you could actually read over my post and tell me what you find wrong with it. I didn't think you had to be an "expert" to comprehend a couple of press releases...