TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

P. 2017: Top Thrill Dragster RETIRED!?!?!?

Thanks for the advice everybody!  I'm sure I'll inquire more as we get closer to June.  

One more question - I know some parks/chains have different rules when it comes to this... but for CP can you get in line just prior to posted closing and remain in line to ride post-closing? (as long as they haven't shut the line down?)  For example - posted closing is 8pm, as long as SV is running, we could get in line at 7:55pm, and if it's posted as an hour wait and it doesn't break down we should be able to ride? 

Cedar Point is basically the only park in America without a consistent policy on this. If you're in line when they close the line, you can ride but they close the line whenever they feel like closing it. Some days they'll run it right until closing like they always did pre-Covid, other times they cut the Steel Vengeance line off 4 hours before the park closes. They will not advertise this or post in the app if the ride is closed even though the app claims that it will tell you this, you'll just have to walk all the way to the back of the park and figure it out.

I wish I was kidding.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, coasterbill said:

Cedar Point is basically the only park in America without a consistent policy on this. If you're in line when they close the line, you can ride but they close the line whenever they feel like closing it. Some days they'll run it right until closing like they always did pre-Covid, other times they cut the Steel Vengeance line off 4 hours before the park closes. They will not advertise this or post in the app if the ride is closed even though the app claims that it will tell you this, you'll just have to walk all the way to the back of the park and figure it out.

I wish I was kidding.

Thanks... not encouraging, but I appreciate the insight.  

I experienced the best and worst of Cedar Point's inconsistent policy in the same night last Memorial Day. I rode Steel Vengeance and it had NO line (well... except for in the clusterf*ck tunnels after the lockers but we won't mention that) but they closed off the line at 7:25 with an 8pm close. I got off at 7:45, had time to get on the train, ride through Boneville, get off and walk over to the still open Millennium Force line at 7:57. It was a walk on, and as we came around the last overbank I saw people STILL getting into the line at 8:05. Back in the station they had popped open the magic gate and I got two more rides on it. The night before, as far as I could tell, they closed every line in the park by 7:50. It's a total crapshoot.

Hopefully someday when staffing gets better (hahahahaha), Cedar Point will go back to their old policy of keeping almost every major ride's line open 5-10 minutes past park close. If the park is mobbed and you don't mind being there till 1am, you can get in line for something with a 3 hour line right at closing and no matter how long the line is, they'll get you on. I remember going to the park the year TTD opened and they were still running it at 4am one night. I'm sure we'll never see days like that again and it's understandable, but hopefully they'll at least get past the inconsistency of closing some lines 30+ minutes early while keeping other lines open 10+ minutes after closing and you pretty much have to cross your fingers that you're finishing your night at the correct ride.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ah yes, brings me back to the 3am Top Thrill Dragster ride I had long ago. Breakdown after breakdown after breakdown, but they still let you wait in line and never kicked anyone out despite it being 5 hours after closing time. The good old days. lol.

• Like 1

I also have to jump in and say how awesome CP’s closing policy was pre-COVID (at least as a guest, I realize many employees were less enthused). I have so many great memories of hopping in line for one last ride 5 to 10 minutes after park close, and as a night owl, I loved it when the line was long. 🙂

Now, until the park proves otherwise, I definitely recommend people ride everything they want to as early in the day as possible, since ride lines close unpredictably in the evenings—especially when the park is busy.

• Like 1

^^^ They've got fanboys who have drunk enough koolaid that they go around yelling crap like "If vAlRaVn wAs aT aNy OtHeR pArK iT wOuLd bE tHe #1 rIdE aT tHaT pArK", so yes, I 100% believe that they will buy anything.

• Like 1

I had no idea this was even a controversy, but I can think of many other parks where Valravn would be a crowd favorite. Hell, think about Worlds of Fun. At this point they would gladly take Corkscrew, let alone Valravn.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

When they announced $20/hr pay last year, I always assumed it was a one-season solution to what was a nationwide staffing shortage. Doesn’t make it any easier of a pill to swallow for those employees who worked at the park last year. 

3 hours ago, coasterbill said:

I wouldn't plan any Tuesday or Wednesday trips in May or June if I were you. This year's plan to address their endless staffing shortages is to cut starting pay by 25%. 🤣

Bold Strategy Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Cedar Point Cedar Point now hiring for 6,500 jobs ahead of 2022 season: Starting pay drops $5 an hour compared to last year

but

“On the surface, the benefits and wages are great; but on a deeper level, the connections with new friends from around the world, interactions with guests, experiences to last a lifetime and the park’s breathtaking setting make this the best place to work.” said Carrie Boldman, vice president and general manager of Cedar Point.

• Haha 10

I tried to edit that post to add "mimmicks jerking off" at the end of it but I'm drunk at work (annual team meeting, stfu yall, I'm wearing a tie) and I can't figure out how to add that at the end. Maybe I shouldn't be daytime drunk TPRing.

• Haha 8

$5 reduction in starting pay? Cedar Fair must be getting lean and efficient, primed for acquisition. 😉

That's a bit of a bummer for someone looking for a pretty awesome summer job seeing what they paid last year.  I get not wanting to reduce an experienced employee's wage, but $5/hr is bit of a gap for most front-line positions who mostly perform similar tasks within their departments regardless of number of seasons employed. 

10 hours ago, coasterbill said:

I wouldn't plan any Tuesday or Wednesday trips in May or June if I were you. This year's plan to address their endless staffing shortages is to cut starting pay by 25%. 🤣

Bold Strategy Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Cedar Point Cedar Point now hiring for 6,500 jobs ahead of 2022 season: Starting pay drops $5 an hour compared to last year

Well if that comes to fruition it's going to open up the CoasterCon schedule quite a bit since they are scheduled to be there Sun - Wed the third week of June. Guess the attendees can partake in all of the amenities of the new hotel at Sawmill Creek or have a couple beach days at the Breakers. I'm sure everyone will be thrilled 🙄🙄

Top Thrill Dragster will remain closed for 2022.

Link to Sandusky Register

SANDUSKY — Cedar Point's iconic Top Thrill Dragster roller coaster won't reopen this year, the park announced today.

It "will remain closed for the 2022 season," park spokesman Tony Clark told the Register shortly after the state released a report about an Aug. 15, 2021, accident that severely injured a park guest in line for the ride.

Here is the rest of the statement Clark provided:

"Today we received the results of the investigation by the Ohio Department of Agriculture’s Division of Amusement Ride Safety & Fairs, which determined that 'after examining the documentation provided and conducting interviews of Cedar Point staff, ODA found no evidence that Cedar Point had knowledge of or reason to believe that the Top Thrill Dragster was in an unsafe condition that could cause a hazard to riders, employees, or the public on Aug. 15, 2021.'

"Cedar Point has cooperated fully with ODA throughout its investigation into the incident and we will closely review the substance of ODA’s report."

Update, today, 3:40 p.m

State finds no fault in Top Thrill Dragster accident

SANDUSKY — The first paragraph of a report from the state on its investigation of an Aug. 15, 2021, accident involving the Top Thrill Dragster roller coaster at Cedar Point indicates there was no fault found.

"After a thorough review of the evidence collected and documented in the Investigative Summary attached
hereto, it is the opinion of the Amusement Ride Safety (ARS) Division that there is insufficient evidence
to find the actions or inactions of Cedar Fair Entertainment Company (Cedar Point) violated any of the
laws found in Chapter 993 of the Ohio Revised Code or any rules adopted by ODA pursuant to ORC
993.04. Therefore, ODA ARS is not recommending any administrative action against Cedar Point."

The Ohio Department of Agriculture has been investigating the accident for six months. A woman standing in line was struck in the head by a metal object that became dislodged from a train on the ride.

Get the Weekender Register at a newsstand near you on Saturday or Sunday for the full story.

Original story, today at 3:25 p.m.

Top Thrill Dragster report due

SANDUSKY — The Ohio Department of Agriculture has finished its investigation of the August 2021 accident involving the Top Thrill Dragster roller coaster at Cedar Point, according to the agency. A report about its findings is expected to be released shortly.

A woman in line for the coaster was severely injured when a metal part from a coaster train dislodged and struck her in the head. Check back here for updates about the report.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 4