Jump to content
  TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

P. 1989: Wicked Twister's permanent closure announced!

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Carrie said:

Has anyone heard of how Michigan's Adventure is doing today?  I think today is the first day?    

There is a thread for that park, I believe.

EDIT:  Here it is.

EDIT 2:  Just got back to my Sandusky hotel from Waldameer.  Looking at Queue Times, it looks like CP managed to get some coasters open, but between going a little too hard at Thirsty Pony last night and the "120 minutes" I saw for Corkscrew, yeah I'm gonna pass and instead get a good nights' sleep and early start on the day tomorrow.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, I'm back at the park, and hooray things are running! In the two hours I've been here, I've been on Millennium, Maverick, and SV. Let me tell you how much of a disaster SV is now. For one, the FL merge point is now way back, father back than on MF. After accessing the temporary lockers, the crowd just meshes together...it looks like one side *should* be for FL, but it isn't. The biggest kick is that this new locker system requires 5 more employees. In a park with such staffing woes, how is this possibly a smart use of resources?

At least they're letting smokers exit and re-enter at the Magnum gate.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

^ I agree.  I think the new locker setup makes things less efficient.

 

the crowds today isn’t too terrible. I thought it would be worse today.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, coasterjohnh said:

Is Max air running this year?

It's not today.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, KIEnthusiast said:

“Boat”

how is it

”Paddlewheel”/“Snake” ride

The boat currently has a line out of the queue house,and isn't on Fast Lane. I'll let you know if I can get on it later.

In other news, every coaster I've been on today has stacked at the furthest breakrun possible. I just watched a Magnum train sit on the 3rd set of brakes, right after the last tunnel, for literally 5 minutes. If there is one phrase to sum up the ride operations here, it is "no sense of urgency." They're all super friendly but my god man, speed it up.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Mike240SX said:

The boat currently has a line out of the queue house,and isn't on Fast Lane. I'll let you know if I can get on it later.

In other news, every coaster I've been on today has stacked at the furthest breakrun possible. I just watched a Magnum train sit on the 3rd set of brakes, right after the last tunnel, for literally 5 minutes. If there is one phrase to sum up the ride operations here, it is "no sense of urgency." They're all super friendly but my god man, speed it up.

 

I think the stacking is a recurring theme this year on nearly everything I’ve been on. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Carrie said:

How are the lines?

Generally reasonable. The app is showing 1-2 hours for the major coasters. FL waits have been between 11 minutes and an hour, generally in the 30 minute range.

What isn't helping crowds is that they're letting anyone who showed up Friday in today even though reservations were already full. Thankfully, I'm one of them LOL.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Got here around 3:00. Definitely not as insane as I expected it to be, especially considering it's in the 60s and sunny. Have FP+ tomorrow so kinda walking around hitting stuff with shorter lines. First ride was Magnum...no seat choice for absolutely no reason (that station is huge...totally unnecessary not to allow people to line up in there). Got stuck in a wheel seat and have a splitting headache.

Guess I'll try to drink it off lol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Zand said:

Got here around 3:00. Definitely not as insane as I expected it to be, especially considering it's in the 60s and sunny. Have FP+ tomorrow so kinda walking around hitting stuff with shorter lines. First ride was Magnum...no seat choice for absolutely no reason (that station is huge...totally unnecessary not to allow people to line up in there). Got stuck in a wheel seat and have a splitting headache.

Guess I'll try to drink it off lol.

Welcome to the park! If I were you I'd try to hit all of the non-FL coasters today while you do t have the pass. I've already gotten all of them at least once, except Valravn and Wicked Twister. Presently in line for CCMR after walking past the boat and finding a huge line again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Mike240SX said:

Welcome to the park! If I were you I'd try to hit all of the non-FL coasters today while you do t have the pass. I've already gotten all of them at least once, except Valravn and Wicked Twister. Presently in line for CCMR after walking past the boat and finding a huge line again.

Are they doing seat assignment garbage on every ride or did I just catch Magnum at the wrong time. I've never seen them do it here before except on Steel Vengeance (which I understand). SFNE was still "social distancing" last time I was there but was still filling the station on Superman, Riddler, and the other usuals so I don't want to see any Covid excuses.

On the other hand, crews seem be moving quick after reading your post earlier. Good to see.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@ZandYou probably caught the wrong guy at the wrong time, or didn't ask nicely enough haha. I was on it around the same time as you and nicely asked for "front or a non-wheel seat" and got sent to row 2, which was not empty.

Millie and SV were not honoring requests for rows, but everywhere else I've had success, even Dragster.

On a side note, even CCMR, the ride with 500 block sections, is staking on the breakrun.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/18/2021 at 4:09 PM, Carrie said:

So, would you go again under the same circumstances?   I am new to FL and not familiar entirely with how it works.   Do the lines for FL get to be as long as the regular lines?  And, if they do, is this typical?  I just really want to be armed with info before we go. 
 

 

 

 

Sorry for the delay, just saw you asked this question. I would not go again on a Saturday under the same circumstances, Friday and Sunday were still hectic but manageable. We're going again in a couple of weeks and hope to see how and if they've improved.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Carrie If you're okay with hour+ waits, even with Fast Lane Plus, by all means come on a Saturday. Otherwise, I'd wait until 1) they're open 7 days a week and 2) they get their shit together.😀

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Zand said:

Are they doing seat assignment garbage on every ride or did I just catch Magnum at the wrong time. I've never seen them do it here before except on Steel Vengeance (which I understand). SFNE was still "social distancing" last time I was there but was still filling the station on Superman, Riddler, and the other usuals so I don't want to see any Covid excuses.

On the other hand, crews seem be moving quick after reading your post earlier. Good to see. 

Filling the station would greatly diminish the value of Fast Lane for the ride making the merge pointless as in years past and essentially making them wait the same amount of time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What? Magnum's merge is well before the stairs. Filling the station would have no effect on the amount of FL people let in in relation to the general queue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Didn't end up riding much today but had a nice afternoon. After Magnum I tried to ride the smooth Arrow next door, but it went down so I moved along. Got over to Frontier Town and Maverick and Steel Vengeance were also down, not that I would've waited in a long line today anyway. We ended up buying some tickets for Frontier Festival and had some different beers. Hung around over there for a couple hours enjoying the atmosphere. Always loved Frontier Town and the added entertainment was nice. I did try to hit Maverick when it reopened but the whole queue house was still full so decided not to bother.

Finally at 6 we started walking up Frontier Trail towards the front. MF had a good line still. Rougarou probably had no line but it blows so I kept walking. Lots of people waiting to drag iron so walked past that. Finally ended up over on the Twister midway and that was deserted.

Rode the CP Windseeker for the first time, which against all odds was operating in a slight breeze. Nice ride, kinda disgusting view of all the dead fish on the beach from the storm. Could smell them from the line.

Wicked Twister was a one train wait and rode in back. I love this stupid thing. It never has a line, the launches are fun, it's smooth and the weightless feeling on the spikes is pretty cool. I know it's totally overshadowed by almost everything else in the park but I'd be sad to not have it to fall back to on busy days.

Gatekeeper next...maybe 10 minute wait and rode right side near the back. Never been much of a fan of this, but always worth stopping by if the line is short. The bouncing kinda makes me nauseous and I never have that happen to me on any other coaster.

Went to hit Raptor, but it was down so went over to Blue Streak. 4 train wait or so (and kinda slow ops) but always a solid ride with decent airtime. Best ridden after a few beers at Chickies and Petes! Better news that that Raptor reopened while I was in line and it was 7:45, so that's where I finished up the night. Front row ride and the bugs were coming out. Raptor just has a batsh*t pace start to finish and IMO is the best B&M invert (disclaimer: I havent ridden Montu). I know Alpie has an awesome half, but for the total package Raptor has it all the way to the brake run.

Glad to get the front of the park taken care of tonight, so I can use FP+ to focus on Steel Vengeance, MF, TTD, and Maverick tomorrow.

Does anyone know if Steel Vengeance will be open at early entry tomorrow? I know its a Monday but not sure if the holiday makes a difference. If not I'd rather just stay up front and hit Valravn a few times.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Zand said:

Does anyone know if Steel Vengeance will be open at early entry tomorrow? I know its a Monday but not sure if the holiday makes a difference. If not I'd rather just stay up front and hit Valravn a few times.

That sucks that rides kept going down as you were arriving at them.  Aside from a little 5 minute breakdown at Dragster while I was in the station, I didn't encounter any maintenance issues all day.

I would be absolutely blown away if SV was open for early entry today.  They were holding strong to their "lines close early" policy on Maverick and Millie yesterday, so I see no reason why they will differ from what they've said regarding SV.

My plan for the day is getting my second ride of the trip on Raptor, then hitting Valravn, Iron Dragon (both of which I missed yesterday), a second ride on Millennium Force, and then the Boat, then going over to the waterpark for the rest of the day.

Hope you have a better day today.

8 hours ago, tndank said:

They have now combined resort guests, gold and platinum pass holders and all can get full early entry at 9. 

Yeah I saw this on the website too.  I guess this means they need less people policing where people are allowed to go in the park.  Glad they dedicated these extra bodies to the stupid locker program at SV and having dedicated spielers at many coasters LOL.  Note that for Early Entry rides, the greeter at the entrance to the queue is checking your pass/hotel key, so that the plebs wouldn't be allowed in line, since everyone is allowed into the park at 9.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey @KIEnthusiast, I'm in line for the boat now, so on about an hour I'll have all of the answers to the most important questions of your life LOL. Watch this post. 

Edit: The boat was entertaining.if the queue is at the start of the building, it'll be about 45 minutes. The boat ride itself takes 18. Great for families, but thrill enthusiasts would better spend that hour elsewhere. So basically, exactly what we expected. Tools ton of photos and will post them sometime later.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Mike240SX said:

What? Magnum's merge is well before the stairs. Filling the station would have no effect on the amount of FL people let in in relation to the general queue.

If there is a 5 train wait in the station then the total distance of waiting in FL would be the staircase and then 5 trains. If there is a grouper at the top of the stairs, the total distance of waiting is the staircase + 1 train wait. More of the standby queue would be downstairs before the merge point instead of after the merge point and cramming people in the station.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, anonymouscactus said:

If there is a 5 train wait in the station then the total distance of waiting in FL would be the staircase and then 5 trains. If there is a grouper at the top of the stairs, the total distance of waiting is the staircase + 1 train wait. More of the standby queue would be downstairs before the merge point instead of after the merge point and cramming people in the station.

But since the FL merge point and the person who allocates who proceeds is before the stairs, there would be the same extra number of FL people in the station too. Yes, there would be more standby, but there would be more FL people too, and assuming the person doing the allocation doesn't change the ratio of FL to standby, the waits should be nearly identical to the current system of operation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use https://themeparkreview.com/forum/topic/116-terms-of-service-please-read/